A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Steveieb

With thefts of cars gaining momentum from those with keyless systems I wonder what drove this new system which has , as far as I can see no advantages over old fashioned key systems and many disadvantages

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - _

I wanted the 16" wheels on the Kia Sportage. I didn't want the keyless entry on the higher grade models, so actually worked out quite well for me.

When i tried the MG HS in January i hated the keyless entry and couldn't work out how to stop the engine when I left the car!

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - RT

I wanted the 16" wheels on the Kia Sportage. I didn't want the keyless entry on the higher grade models, so actually worked out quite well for me.

When i tried the MG HS in January i hated the keyless entry and couldn't work out how to stop the engine when I left the car!

Probably press the "start" button - a bit like old Windows computers!

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Terry W

Reflect on the history of "features" on cars and the reaction when first generally available:

• electric windows - elbow exercise works fine, why change
  • central locking - what is difficult about reaching over to push a knob
  • aircon - just open a window
  • remote central locking - impresses the neighbours, but no point in unlocking the doors before I get to the car
  • electric boot opener - essential for people with no arms
  • satnav - nothing wrong with AA maps, it just sends you down dead ends
  • carpets - how can I hose it out ,, give me back the rubber mats
  • six speaker sound system - pointless, wind noise drowns out hi-fi

We now think of keyess in a similar way. But in 10 years time as we walk up to our driverless pod, the door will open, seat and climate controls automatically set to personal preferences, get in, tell the nav system where you want to go.

Those under the age of 25 will wonder that we ever had to simultaneously push a knob whilst pulling a handle to open a door!

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - galileo

With thefts of cars gaining momentum from those with keyless systems I wonder what drove this new system which has , as far as I can see no advantages over old fashioned key systems and many disadvantages

Just one more gimmick which salesmen use to convince gullible customers it is a boon and will impress their friends/neighbours/colleagues.

Like stop/start systems, auto wipers and the rest of the electronic tat which makes cars unreliable and expensive to repair.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - misar

I disagree.

Of course there are many different versions but having driven cars with the system for over 10 years I find it extremely convenient and easy to use. Most of the implementations on current models have improved security. The key fob either has a motion sensor to turn off the wireless if the key is left on a shelf etc or a switch/key sequence to turn it off manually.

I await the inevitable disagreement with me but the truth is that gadgets are now the way of the automotive world so those who hate them will need to look after their old cars.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Andrew-T

I disagree. Of course there are many different versions but having driven cars with the system for over 10 years I find it extremely convenient and easy to use.

Your remarks show that you are a pushover for gadgetry. Conventional keys, possibly with remote locking, have the physical failsafe advantage of making it impossible for the carrier of the key to be accidentally separated from the car being driven. And of course there is more electronics involved, perhaps hackable.

I disagree. Of course there are many different versions but having driven cars with the system for over 10 years I find it extremely convenient and easy to use.

Your remarks show that you are a pushover for gadgetry.

Totally agree.

My last car without any gadgets except electric front windows (not even remote locking) was a Mondeo which I kept for almost 15 years. Like you I believed gadgets on cars were the work of the devil and avoided them like the plague (or, these days, covid-19). Then tempted by a scrappage scheme I succumbed to a very nice new car which happened to be loaded down with gadgets as standard.

To my astonishment I discovered that most of my hated gadgets were really useful and happily kept working for 10 years. I then succumbed to yet more gadgets on another new car and found that even the reviled electric parking brake is great when properly implemented.

I would remind all those driving around in "gadget free cars" that the motor car itself is one of the greatest gadgets ever invented. Unless of course you are a died in the wool cyclist who curses the lot of us every time he or she takes to our roads.

<< I would remind all those driving around in "gadget free cars" that the motor car itself is one of the greatest gadgets ever invented. Unless of course you are a dyed in the wool cyclist who curses the lot of us every time he or she takes to our roads. >>

There is no argument to prove that all gadgets are the work of the devil, nor that they are all automatically a great benefit. Most drivers are on a spectrum somewhere between those opposites. Sadly many gadgets steadily appear on cars, not because drivers cry out for them, but so that makers can occupy gizmo-designers, demonstrate a big advance and sell more cars. Naturally all that effort costs money, so car prices do not fall. Some buyers will leap on board; others may have no use for gadgets, would happily do without, but can only decide to keep the simpler car they own. I am usually one of the latter.

<< I would remind all those driving around in "gadget free cars" that the motor car itself is one of the greatest gadgets ever invented. Unless of course you are a dyed in the wool cyclist who curses the lot of us every time he or she takes to our roads. >>

Sadly many gadgets steadily appear on cars, not because drivers cry out for them, but so that makers can occupy gizmo-designers, demonstrate a big advance and sell more cars. Naturally all that effort costs money, so car prices do not fall. Some buyers will leap on board; others may have no use for gadgets, would happily do without, but can only decide to keep the simpler car they own. I am usually one of the latter.

You could be right but I suspect the gadgets are there and sell more cars simply because buyers actually like gadgets. These days many people rate a car by its audio and informatic system rather than anything else.

My previous point was that those like you (and me once) who refuse to try anything with gadgets will never discover how useful they can be.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Engineer Andy

Sadly many gadgets steadily appear on cars, not because drivers cry out for them, but so that makers can occupy gizmo-designers, demonstrate a big advance and sell more cars. Naturally all that effort costs money, so car prices do not fall. Some buyers will leap on board; others may have no use for gadgets, would happily do without, but can only decide to keep the simpler car they own. I am usually one of the latter.

You could be right but I suspect the gadgets are there and sell more cars simply because buyers actually like gadgets. These days many people rate a car by its audio and informatic system rather than anything else.

My previous point was that those like you (and me once) who refuse to try anything with gadgets will never discover how useful they can be.

I would say that it only looks that way because the majority of website and especially video (YT etc) review comments and those on social media are from younger people who don't know any better.

IMHO, too many firms (not just car manufacturers) are looking to the wrong audience 90% of the time, when it's the over 40s and especially over 60s buyer that they should be trying to impress, given they have lots of cash to burn.

The financial crash of 2008 and the coming one because of the 'pandemic' will show that the easy money via loans to the young will be soon no more if the world is to survive - it can't keep going on endless credit.

Keyless entry on cars is just one of many gizmos that after a few months, I bet most drivers will either start to get annoyed at or, in the case of many of the other extra features, barely use. Decent phone integration for use as ICE hubs or satnavs is really the only thing I'd want over what my current 14yo car already has.

I'd rather my brain be occupied and keeping my driving skills honed, rather than relying on lots of doo-dahs (e.g. auto lights, windscreen wipers, land departure systems, etc), as I find the less you have to do, the more likely your attention will wander, especially on longer trips. I have no problem though with better designed tech to do things more efficiently, safely or with better ergonomics.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - gordonbennet

IMHO, too many firms (not just car manufacturers) are looking to the wrong audience 90% of the time, when it's the over 40s and especially over 60s buyer that they should be trying to impress, given they have lots of cash to burn.

Oddly enough, at one of my regular deliveries in my previous work, the dealer principal had jumped ship from Honda not long after the first of the new space ship style Civics were launched, we had quite a chat about it, Honda wooed a younger customer base but instead of keeping loyal repeat older customers with gently updated almost traditonal models to run alongside they went all out for the new and ignored their previously loyal base, look where that has ended up.

And that i suggest is partly why so many older drivers can be seen in Kias Hyundais and Toyotas by the thousands, who gladly mopped up those conservative minded buyers, who as a bonus trade in well looked after same make prime forecourt stock if you give them what they want and look after them, i humbly suggest Toyota's excellent customer aftercare is paying them back many fold.

Oddly enough, at one of my regular deliveries in my previous work, the dealer principal had jumped ship from Honda not long after the first of the new space ship style Civics were launched, we had quite a chat about it, Honda wooed a younger customer base but instead of keeping loyal repeat older customers with gently updated almost traditonal models to run alongside they went all out for the new and ignored their previously loyal base, look where that has ended up.

And that i suggest is partly why so many older drivers can be seen in Kias Hyundais and Toyotas by the thousands, who gladly mopped up those conservative minded buyers, who as a bonus trade in well looked after same make prime forecourt stock if you give them what they want and look after them, i humbly suggest Toyota's excellent customer aftercare is paying them back many fold.

Indeed - the best firms rarely need any marketing budget, aside from 'a new product is available' because customers stay with them and attract new ones by telling friends, family and colleagues of the great customer service experience and decent, long-lasting, does-what-its-says-on-the-tin product sold at a reasonable price without pressure or the need to haggle as if your life depended on it.

Honda in particular need to realise this - they now have a quite limited range and of cars that, in my view, don't appeal to their core client base, but are not really appealing to younger people either because there are better styled, performance and handling cars from other makes, plus they are still expensive - aside from Subaru, they are the most expensive mainstream Japanese make, and are seemingly not as reliable or as good as customer service (not bad, just not as good as 10-20 years ago).

Mazda too, but for different reasons - lovely styled cars (now inside too) that look upmarket and handle very well. But as I've said before, they like to go their own way and I believe they are losing out on a great deal of sales due to their limited engine lineup - biased towards the less powerful end of the spectrum and the legacy of diesel reliability woes and general patchy at best post-sales customer care.

Whilst their cars aren't 'slow', as misar attests to, they, in my view, are 'ok' from my test drives of them, performance wise. Whilst they appear to be going 'upmarket' in terms of the look and feel of their cars, I feel they need to demonstrate improved engineering quality and better customer care first before offering their lineup at the prices they currenttly do - many now in the region of similar-trim BMWs and VWs which are mostly quite a bit more perky in terms of performance.

Lexus's European fortunes have shown that it takes far more than just being excellent in one or two areas of a car experience in the more luxury end of the market to break the stranglehold of the Germans.

Hopefully Mazda will learn this valuable lesson and add more perky engines to their UK (and EU) lineup and improve on the customer care front. They've at least shown some willingness to learn by seemingly starting to phase out diesels. I also hope that the HCCI engine improves and can be expanded to fit both higher and lower capacities for other cars in the range.

As regards Honda, I think they are currently in limbo, given them pulling out of the UK manufacturing-wise (not because of Brexit but [their words] due to low sales in the EU), as they do not appear to know who their cars are to be marketed to. Let's hope they learn where they fit in, as for me, they were an aspirational manufacturer in the 1990s to mid 2000s. They seem to have rather lost their way, R&D wise, given they used to lead the way.

I agree that the likes of Hyundai/KIA could easily take over much of the market previously the domain of Honda, Nissan, Mazda and even Toyota, given their relentless improvements in both engineering quality, driving dynamics and styling/trim quality, whilst offering market-leading warranties. Probably why so many now end up in the hands of the more discerning older driver.

Cars with loads of gadgets and gizmos are all well and good, but if their complexity, reliability or usability issues puts many people off, they'll push customers to either stick with existing cars for longer or to go to those that offer more user-friendly, cost-effective tech.

Like lots of other things no one asked for, ie electric parking brakes, a few found them desirable and motoring magazines voted down those not on board and before you know it they've become a must have on certain levels of car with charges of poverty spec aimed at cars lacking.

I detest the things, and am going to do my best to avoid them (along with EPB and systems that interfere with the steering) for as long as i possibly can, that probably means poverty spec for the rest of my natural, which suits as fine as SWMBO wants none of that rubbish either.

Daughter's Civic has it, she absolutely has to make sure her keys are in a suitable cover due to it being a very hot, nickable, version, don't tell her but i hate the thing, takes me about 5 minutes to shoe horn mesen into those bucket seats (its with us during her house renovations) and another 5 prising mesen out.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - mcb100

Why on Earth would I want to mess about with a key when a key card never needs to come out of my pocket? Just walk to the car, open the door and drive away...

Why on Earth would I want to mess about with a key when a key card never needs to come out of my pocket? Just walk to the car, open the door and drive away...

Which is fine whilst the car is new enough.

As they age central locking systems fail, but its easy enough to disconnect the system, manually locking the doors (on well designed cars where individual (un)locking of doors from the inside is possible) and you still have the key for locking and starting, if the immobiliser dies that can usually be got around and the car is still driveable and you still have the inbuilt steering lock as security and things like stoplock are cheap enough to buy and easy to use.

This probably means nothing to you if you are a new car user, but it is an important consideration to those of us who don't actually want new cars...by the way this isn't some deluded anti envy, good luck to people who buy and enjoy new cars, some of us have the funds but there's almost nothing for sale in this country that i for one would buy.

Chap in the next village had a new RR a fortnight before they whisked it away via gaining the signal to his keyless go fob in the house, he wasn't aware how ridiculouly easy such cars are to steal.

I'm a regular driver of a 14 year old Renault Scenic, on which the keyless works perfectly and always has done.

I’ve just reminded myself to order a couple of faraday pouches for my daughters S4 and Mazda 3. The S4 is particularly stealable and the keys are left in the hall !

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - badbusdriver

Seems like most of the responses here are only from one point of view, that of a man in reasonable (or better) health.

Consider this, my wife has mobility problems, and needs a walking stick. She has come out of a shop with her handbag and a bag of shopping in one hand, walking stick in the other. It’s raining when she gets to the car. With keyless entry, she just opens the door and gets in. Without it, she’d have to put her stuff down somewhere, probably the ground as most car bonnets have too much of a slope for anything to stay put and the roof is too high for her to reach. So after fishing the key out of her handbag, she then has to pick up the bag from the ground, the contents of which has spilled out. As she attempts to retrieve the contents, she loses balance and falls over..............

Is keyless entry/stop/start perfect?, no.

Is it useful?, yes, definitely.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Miniman777

I dont have an issue with keyless systems.

For the family, I've a BMW X3 (G01series) which had the keys replaced by BMW with the new type which stop transmitting a radio signal after 2mins of inactivity, so no need for a faraday pouch. BMW discounted the cost by 70%, so this anti-theft mod cost me £175, which I found acceptable for the value of the car. Models post March 2018 come with the updated key fobs. The X3 also has it's own SIM card, and can be tracked via an app, I can start ventilation, flash the lights if I cant find it, check fuel, whether doors/sunroof/windows are locked, check service needs too.

The company car is a 2019 Nissan Qashqai also with wireless keys, but whether they go dormant is unknown.

Personally, I like these keyless systems, keep the keys in my pocket, never lose them, and ideal if it is wet, no messing.

I've also got to like electronic hand brakes. Brake applies automatically when stopping in traffic, releases as I drive off. Comes on when vehicle is switched off, so cant roll away. Where is the problem? I've had cables rust and seize, causing brake binding, so why are cables better?

Some folk are just dinosaurs when it comes to car tech, I think the majority of new tech is step forward to make life easier. But you are entitled to your own views.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - pd

I like keyless systems as long as they are fully keyless. The annoying ones are the half keyless where you have to use the fob to open the car but there is no key slot. You just then try and find somewhere to put the damn thing but the ones you leave in your pocket are very good and once you get used to one the old system seems like the stone age.

I don't particularly mind electronic handbrakes either.

Honestly some people here would prefer cross ply tyres.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - kiss (keep it simple)

I think the key to new tech is that it be correctly designed and engineered. I have a Texas pocket calculator that was super hi tech in 1975. It still works perfectly. I have had to replace the battery pack a few times but that is an easy service item. We had a hired Nissan Altima in the USA last year, all the bells and whistles. It took SHMBO a couple of days and she loved it!

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Senexdriver

I have keyless start, which I think is a good compromise. The fob is on my key ring with my house keys so it goes wherever I go and it never leaves my pocket. I slip my hand in my pocket to unlock the car or raise the boot lid and I just press the start button (which I love) to fire up the engine once I’m seated and belted.

This car and my last one have electronic parking brakes. I wouldn’t relish the repair bill if it were to fail, but I like it as a feature. Makes hill starts child’s play and frees up so much space in the cockpit and I like how it releases automatically as you move off from a standstill. I also like auto lights and wipers. Before I had them, I used to think that I don’t need either turned on for me, but when I bought a car that had them I soon got used to it.

One modern feature I don’t like is digital gauges, in particular the petrol gauge. I don’t like how it can appear on one marker on the scale one minute and on the next one down the next. I prefer the gradual progress of the old fashioned needle type gauge.

I’ve just reminded myself to order a couple of faraday pouches for my daughters S4 and Mazda 3. The S4 is particularly stealable and the keys are left in the hall !

Tell your daughter to read the Mazda 3 manual. It may have one of their key fobs where a simple button sequence turns the wireless off or on (they call it the battery saver).

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - John F

I'm a regular driver of a 14 year old Renault Scenic, on which the keyless works perfectly and always has done.

i'm an irregular driver of a 14 year old Audi A8, on which the keyless works perfectly. BUT, if it ever doesn't, a metal key can flick out of the electronic fob and be inserted into the door lock and ignition switch. I would not want to be totally reliant upon radio waves.

i'm an irregular driver of a 14 year old Audi A8, on which the keyless works perfectly. BUT, if it ever doesn't, a metal key can flick out of the electronic fob and be inserted into the door lock and ignition switch. I would not want to be totally reliant upon radio waves.

Same with the Renault, it's only been used once when the battery in the key went flat.

Edited by mcb100 on 17/10/2020 at 12:18

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Smileyman

My car is supposed to have keyless locking & ignition, however the locking aspect has never worked since I bought it. Except that the other day the car locked itself. Luckily for me both me and keys were outside the car. I always make sure if I am outside the car the keys are outside too, or I leave a door open eg at a petrol station. Bit like having a boot that locks on closure, make sure the keys are not put down inside the boot, just for the whole car.

Cars and systems evolve.

Stage 1 - new gizmo is an expensive extra, most regard it as unnecessary, complex and probably flawed

Stage 2 - gizmo is improved technically and engineering flaws improved, starts to filter down into mainstream models. Some sill don't like it.

Stage 3 - almost universally adopted in all bar low end, low spec motors. Reliability as good as other components. Cost is fairly trivial (particularly electrical items)

Electric handbrakes and keyless are probably now between stages 2 and 3. Reluctance to accept new technologies in transport is nothing new - it started with the railways where passing trains were predicted to render cows infertile!

Electric handbrakes ... are probably now between stages 2 and 3. Reluctance to accept new technologies in transport is nothing new - it started with the railways where passing trains were predicted to render cows infertile!

As a scientist I don't object to innovations - with the proviso that they have both purpose and are an advance, not a vanity project to demonstrate that it can be done and to add novelty to sell cars. For me a mechanical handbrake is a simple reliable device which can be kept working (as required) at small cost and effort. An electric one is simply superfluous, tho I suppose some may claim that it improves life for them.

As regards early railways, Dr Dionysius Lardner predicted that passengers would be unable to breathe when travelling at 30mph, but I think the parallel with today, when very few people in the world will never have seen cars, is limited.

As far as reliability is concerned buying and selling several hundred on average cars a year mechanical handbrakes give me far more grief and expenditure than electrical ones.

As far as reliability is concerned buying and selling several hundred on average cars a year mechanical handbrakes give me far more grief and expenditure than electrical ones.

Might that be because there are more of them, and they have been around a lot longer ? :-)

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - _

A couple of years ago I went to Andalucia and parked near a police station.

Car would not lock..

A paaerby pointed out the police station and said there is an exclusion zone. Put the fob right by the centre of the windscreen. Worked, and lesson learned.

Might that be because there are more of them, and they have been around a lot longer ? :-)

No, I reckon I see as many cars if not more with electronic ones than manual. Not saying they never go wrong but they are not a common failure point on cars. Renault's have the odd issue but they're still not something I would class as unreliable. Some older vag cars are prone to the button failing causing them to go into emergency mode but it's a £10 fix.

Mechanical handbrakes require a little tlc now and again, given that they usually last the life of the car without an issue if the parking brake is drum/shoe, i exclude those nasty cheap designs where makers have utilised the rear brake pads for parking brake via a self adjusting mechanism within the rear calipers, on those types you might as well go full electric because the maker appears to have paid more attention to sealing water and salt ingress from the caliper units and no real way to lubricate the adjuster without dismantling, simaraly those designs don't allow competent mechanics to 'exercise' pistons in the bores during good brake servicing, so the calipers are shorter lived still regarding footbrake performance...but good drum within disc designs are more expensive to make and install.

The problem with EPB's is when they do fail, it isn't usually a case of new discs/drum and pads/shoes or replacing a cable which failed only because no one ever thought to lubricate it previously, the cost of these motorised units can be eye watering and require programming which means the DIY motorist who can usually sort a poor manual handbrake back to new performance for under a hundred quid can be looking at a bill of up to a grand.

Funny how the dinosaur etc epithets get bandied about to discredit those not sold on everything new tech being wonderful...the same tactic used presently via the term conspiracy theorists against anyone questioning several current narratives in the wider country...there is some new tech that is brilliant and i welcome and make use of, but a lot is bordering on the frivolous, if you like it by all means enjoy its your money but don't be surprised when cars overladen with this stuff are avoided by whole swathes of the used car buying public when you want to sell on.

'if you like it by all means enjoy its your money but don't be surprised when cars overladen with this stuff are avoided by whole swathes of the used car buying public when you want to sell on.'

This isn't true. I deal with used car enquiries six days a week, and the swathes of which you speak must all be around on a Sunday. Most cars, at the end of a finance agreement, go back into trade as a part exchange - I can't remember the last time I spoke to someone who was consciously looking for car without features now considered commonplace.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Bolt

(As a scientist I don't object to innovations - with the proviso that they have both purpose and are an advance, not a vanity project to demonstrate that it can be done and to add novelty to sell cars.)

The idea was to reduce weight and left extra room in the centre console area for things like coffee cups and mobile phone chargers, apart from the fact a motor is more reliable than a lever, they have been known to slip, electric motors tend to be more reliable and need no maintenance which is a good thing

Different people have different ideas of modern tech, but its far from a novelty!

I used to feel, as many posters seem to, that the transition of cars from electro-mechanical to largely sealed for life electronics on wheels was a retrograde step.

No longer could I, an average home mechanic with my trusty Halfords toolkit, repair the car on a Saturday morning. I never had the digital kit, software, or capacity to understand it.

Over the last 15 years I have come to realise there was little joyous about replacing, say, a clutch slave cylinder on a wet weekend grovelling in rust particles, and oily detritus beneath the car.

Cars have become so hugely more reliable that they now rarely go wrong anyway. In the last 15 years the average age of my cars was approx 5 years, and aside from routine servicing, I probably spent less than £100 a year on unforseen repairs. Long live new tech!!

As far as I can tell, the only feature the system has as an advantage over blippers is that if you've got your hands full with shopping, etc and it's raining or the ground is wet/muddy, it'll unlock the boot without need to put said stuff on the ground and/or getting wet.

On the other hand, we have system designed in the same vein as the often useless ICE and satnav systems with similar levels of security, software itegrity and lifespans. Buying a car nowadays is like buying a mobile phone, tablet or computer - works ok on day 1, not so good after a year, 'software patches' constantly required (many of which either don't work and/or slow the system down) and are often abandoned after 3 years or the owner expected to pay a small fortune to keep the patches/fixes going.

Wow. What value for money. Other than having to choose the lowest spec car in the range, you have to specifically ask that your car be built specially to not have keyless entry, which means no showroom/pre-reg offer cars for you (unless it's a poverty-spec car)!

Meanwhile, the insurers and thieves continue to rake in the dough. Yet more car gizmos we don't need jacking up the price yet further.

I'd rather just keep my old car with it's limited electronic gizmos that still works fine, my blippers (still on the original batteries after nearly 15 years) and a £15.50 phone cradle and cigar lighter/USB charger plus my CD-MP3 player and radio.

Wow. What value for money. Other than having to choose the lowest spec car in the range, you have to specifically ask that your car be built specially to not have keyless entry, which means no showroom/pre-reg offer cars for you (unless it's a poverty-spec car)!

Wow again. You seem to be living in some sort of golden age that has not existed for decades, if ever. About the only manufacturer I can think of who will custom build to that extent is Morgan and I doubt they offer keyless entry anyway.

The story behind keyless, incidentally, is that it's a Renault invention. Developed by an engineer called Paul Lipschultz, it was known as the Plip system from his first initial and first three letters of his surname.

1982 it debuted on the Renault Fuego, which was also the first car to have a remote controlled stereo, via buttons on the steering column.

This new technology is 38 years old.

Edited by mcb100 on 17/10/2020 at 13:57

Talking Renault, I remember being at Company Car in Action a few years ago and the Renault man who showed me to the Cadja put the key fob in my coat pocket and told me to walk to the car, which would open on its own.

At the end of the drive I moved on to the other manufacturers completely forgetting the slim fob, and wasn’t reminded to hand over the key!

Later in the afternoon the Renault team spotted me and ran after me demanding the key back as they had no spare and the car was left stranded all day !

Schoolboy error. As someone who has manned stands for various manufacturers, keys are the most valuable commodity you have, and never, ever, let them go.

And always make sure you've got a charged jump pack...

Talking Renault, I remember being at Company Car in Action a few years ago and the Renault man who showed me to the Cadja put the key fob in my coat pocket and told me to walk to the car, which would open on its own.

I wonder if some of the next-to-useless gizmos are added to cars just to enable this kind of performance, for salespeople to sell cars to the easily persuaded ?

The story behind keyless, incidentally, is that it's a Renault invention. Developed by an engineer called Paul Lipschultz, it was known as the Plip system from his first initial and first three letters of his surname. 1982 it debuted on the Renault Fuego, which was also the first car to have a remote controlled stereo, via buttons on the steering column.

We seem to be discussing two different things. I thought Keyless meant just that - no key to put in the steering lock. Plips (meaning central-locking transmitters) have been around for many years.

But no-one has countered my remark about card-entry cars where the card can become separated (maybe by miles) from the driver of the vehicle. This happened a few years ago to my daughter, who set off with husband driving, dropped him off somewhere and continued on her way. Luckily she realised the card was still in his pocket before stopping the engine, and backtracked. That can't be called a design fault, but as I said, it can't happen with a 'real' key.

I can only speak as having experience of Renault cars in this instance, but you can't switch off the engine if the key isn't in the car.

I can only speak as having experience of Renault cars in this instance, but you can't switch off the engine if the key isn't in the car.

That means in that situation you won't be allowed to buy fuel, as you are asked to switch off engines .... And of course in extremis the engine will stop for lack of fuel.

With mine and I assume most other current keyless systems the engine will continue to run if the fob moves out of range but the car goes into a frenzy of chiming plus LCD display to warn the driver.

I think I'll live with the almost infinitesimally tiny chance of ever being in that situation to benefit from the convenience that a keyless system brings.

I have never, ever, come across anyone reject a car or model because of an electric handbrake or keyless entry. No one. Absolute zero.

However, buyer are anti going backwards. Smaller, older, female drivers in particular who live in fear of not being able to get a mechanical handbrake undone (usually which their husband applied) love them.

You'll also struggle to sell a car these days without a full array of parking sensors.

I have never, ever, come across anyone reject a car or model because of an electric handbrake or keyless entry. No one. Absolute zero.

However, buyer are anti going backwards. Smaller, older, female drivers in particular who live in fear of not being able to get a mechanical handbrake undone (usually which their husband applied) love them.

You'll also struggle to sell a car these days without a full array of parking sensors.

I so wish there was a 'Like' button on this forum...

Well, you wouldn't, you are selling to a different type of buyer entirely, most people unless they haven't the foggiest idea would be interested in the car already knowing full well it had an EPB and other gadgets, that may be exactly why they want it, no you wouldn't find someone like me suddenly refusing a car because i'd spotted an EPB, i wouldn't have been interested in that type of car so wouldn't be darkening your doorstep in the first place, which probably suits both of us.

A car purchase isn't or shouldn't be like selecting which cereal to lift from the shelf as you waft through Morrisons, but then considering the posts on here from punters who have bought totally unsuitable unresearched in any way vehicles that have proved (as we could have told them had they bothered to ask before impulse buying) to be unfit for what they wanted, maybe there is just as much pre thought and pre research as said cereal selection for some car buyers.

Hope no one suggests to my SWMBO she might be too old frail and female to release a parking brake i applied, if you do suggest that you're on your own :-) , mechanical parking brakes only need applying with such force if they are ill maintained or part of a poor overall brake design, none of our cars (all mechanical drum inside disc design) can be applied for the steepest of inclines with only a normal pull.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/10/2020 at 18:40

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Mr D Og

While my car doesn't have keyless entry it does have remote locking/unlocking and I've had occasion to use it a number of times. The last time was our visit to Audley End where we parked the car and walked what was probably a half mile before I had the thought 'Did I lock the car?" Using my mobile phone I was able to ascertain that my car was unlocked and I was able to lock it remotely thereby saving me that long walk back to the car! On other occasions where I've had the same thought I discovered the car was indeed locked!

The ability to communicate with your car via an app will just blow minds on here....
A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Trilogy.

Key less entry existed many years ago, in the days when there weren't ****heads wanting to steal your car, you didn't lock it. No fumbling for your keys, well you needed a different one for every single then, you just walked up to your car and opened the boot or a door. Sometimes you'd even leave the keys in the ignition when you left your car and went shopping or whatever, those were the days!

Sometimes you'd even leave the keys in the ignition when you left your car and went shopping or whatever, those were the days!

At the end of a holiday in the Azores 8 or 10 years ago, we left the hire car at the airport with, as instructed, the keys in the ignition.

Key less entry existed many years ago, in the days when there weren't ****heads wanting to steal your car, you didn't lock it. No fumbling for your keys, well you needed a different one for every single then, you just walked up to your car and opened the boot or a door. Sometimes you'd even leave the keys in the ignition when you left your car and went shopping or whatever, those were the days!

A former colleague of mine from a job about 20+ years ago did that - alwaya left their car unlocked (though not with the keys in the ignition), even when parked in the local supermarket car park when we were despositing our pay cheques (shows how long ago it was, and it was a small firm) in the bank once a month.

His car was a beige early 80s Toyota in not-so-great condition though, so hardly one catching the eye of thieves.

The ability to communicate with your car via an app will just blow minds on here....

As EVs gain traction I suspect all will have an app to control the car one way or the other, at least security will also be tighter if fingerprint sensing is used.

Keyless, and other modern features, comes down to how much extra they add to the cost of the car - I wouldn't, didn't, pay extra for keyless but I use it when courtesy cars have it.

I've just bought a second car, a 2011 Citroen C1 base version - so no remote locking, electric windows, electric mirrors, electric seats, satnav, heated seats, etc - not a deal breaker and less to go wrong on an older car!

As EVs gain traction I suspect all will have an app to control the car one way or the other, at least security will also be tighter if fingerprint sensing is used.’

It’s not uncommon for an ICE car to have such connectivity. The humble Nissan Juke, for example, can be locked and unlocked, have tyre pressures checked and destinations sent to its navigation system from a smartphone. If you’ve lost it in a car park, it can be asked to flash its lights or sound the horn from a phone input. It’ll also respond to voice commands whilst in the house via Google Assistant.
Right from day one, the Zoë has been able to respond to a smartphone by heating up the cabin whilst being plugged into the mains.
We’re already reaching the point where what we currently know as keyless is previous generation technology.
As EVs gain traction I suspect all will have an app to control the car one way or the other,

The humble Nissan Juke, for example, can be locked and unlocked, ... the Zoë has been able to respond to a smartphone by heating up the cabin whilst being plugged into the mains. We’re already reaching the point where what we currently know as keyless is previous generation technology.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect (etc) most of the facilities you list are little more than toys, perhaps invented by late adolescents as a challenge. I can see the fun in heating the car from a distance, but little real need for it. I trust simple direct methods for checking tyre pressures, not complex ones which may be working correctly, maybe not. My car can be found with a standard plip within a range of about 40 yards, which is usually close enough - being able to do it from half a mile may also be fun. As for voice-commanding my car, that may also be fun as long as it doesn't talk back.

It's always easy to dismiss almost anything as Previous Generation tech, sometimes with little good reason.

This is about choice.
I can bend double, getting my fingers covered in brake dust and use an un calibrated tyre pressure gauge if I wanted. I’ve no guarantee it’s anywhere near accurate. Or I can sit in the house and instantly call up the (cold) tyre pressures on the car without leaving my chair.
Not a single driver is forced to use any of this. They can extract the metal key from the keycard and lock the car that way. Though I’m baffled as to why anyone would.
There’s a comment up above about people not asking this forum for advice before buying a car - if they did, breakers yards would see an upsurge in customers looking for cars that would still run and pass an MOT.
I can bend double, getting my fingers covered in brake dust and use an uncalibrated tyre pressure gauge if I wanted. I’ve no guarantee it’s anywhere near accurate. Or I can sit in the house and instantly call up the (cold) tyre pressures on the car without leaving my chair.

I suggest that an old-fashioned pen-type gauge may be more accurate than many available at filling stations. I wonder how 'calibrated' your electronic system might be, and any 'guarantee' with that will be no better than the one that came with the pen-gauge I have used for upwards of 40 years. Which incidentally shows just the same values as the Ring tyre inflator I got a few years ago - maybe coincidence, but that is unlikely.

I doubt that you can make any useful examination of the state of your tyres from your chair either.

99% of drivers do not know how to check tyre pressures and never do so. They should, but they do not. The only time they do is when it looks completely flat.

TPS is now mandatory and there are, I am sure, less people now driving around with incorrect tyre pressures (although many ignore the warning light).

It is not aimed at the people who check tyre pressures or who look at tyres or check oil or anything else. It is aimed at the huge number who do not. I might check then, you might check them, but we are the minority and always will be.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Mr D Og
As EVs gain traction I suspect all will have an app to control the car one way or the other,

The humble Nissan Juke, for example, can be locked and unlocked, ... the Zoë has been able to respond to a smartphone by heating up the cabin whilst being plugged into the mains. We’re already reaching the point where what we currently know as keyless is previous generation technology.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect (etc) most of the facilities you list are little more than toys, perhaps invented by late adolescents as a challenge. I can see the fun in heating the car from a distance, but little real need for it. I trust simple direct methods for checking tyre pressures, not complex ones which may be working correctly, maybe not. My car can be found with a standard plip within a range of about 40 yards, which is usually close enough - being able to do it from half a mile may also be fun. As for voice-commanding my car, that may also be fun as long as it doesn't talk back.

It's always easy to dismiss almost anything as Previous Generation tech, sometimes with little good reason.

Many technological advances in cars are introduced to make life easier for the motorist. My using the remote locking feature on my car was not as Andrew-T implies, done for fun but to save me the half-mile trek back to the car to lock it! Useful, when you are not as young as you used to be and nothing to do with fun.

<< My using the remote locking feature on my car was not as Andrew-T implies, done for fun but to save me the half-mile trek back to the car to lock it! Useful, when you are not as young as you used to be and nothing to do with fun. >>

Indeed useful - of course rather than forgetting to lock the car, you might forget to charge your phone ... :-) And there is always the question of hackability whenever radio communication is necessary.

Despite what I have written above I am not actually a huge fan of silly tech on cars.

However, some of the things mentioned here are not new tech at all - in fact in some cases they have been around now for so long they themselves are being superseded. Things like keyless and electric brakes etc are old, mature technology over 20 years old.

Some of the latest info tech in cars is also a bit over the top but I do like a decent stereo. I'd much prefer a decent amp and speakers than a sat nav system.

I am just about old enough to remember by father complaining that power steering and seat belts were clearly dangerous as with one you couldn't go around a corner and restricting him in his seat made it difficult to drive,. How many people truly want a day to day car without PAS?

Oh, and I like a rain sensor as well. Cars without or with a non functioning one really annoy me. A feature perfectly designed for the UK climate.

How many people truly want a day to day car without PAS?

Oh, and I like a rain sensor as well. Cars without or with a non functioning one really annoy me. A feature perfectly designed for the UK climate.

I think PAS became almost essential because cars got faster and heavier and had to have fatter tyres. Only the young and/or muscly could manage without it for long.

I've had a car with rain sensors - can be OK, but there is always a range of intensity which it doesn't suit, unless it is clever enough to vary the wipe frequency too.

I think PAS became almost essential because cars got faster and heavier and had to have fatter tyres. Only the young and/or muscly could manage without it for long.

PAS has little to do with speed. Its main benefit is to make slow speed manoeuvring easier. Heavy cars and vans managed fine without it in the past so its just another convenience like so many of the gadgets you hate. True that fat tyres don't help but on many current cars they are a styling feature. They could often be much less fat without impairing safety.

Edited by misar on 18/10/2020 at 13:12

PAS has little to do with speed. Its main benefit is to make slow speed manoeuvring easier. Heavy cars and vans managed fine without it in the past so its just another convenience like so many of the gadgets you hate. True that fat tyres don't help but on many current cars they are a styling feature. They could often be much less fat without impairing safety.

You misinterpret my comments. I didn't mention speed as such, only as a reason for cars getting fatter (=wider) tyres, which in turn made them harder to steer.

Neither do I 'hate' these gadgets. I personally see little need for them and have small sympathy for those who see them as an important reason for choosing one car over another. Much more a selling point for dealers and a reason to keep prices up.

‘I've had a car with rain sensors - can be OK, but there is always a range of intensity which it doesn't suit, unless it is clever enough to vary the wipe frequency too.’

That’s the whole purpose of auto wipers - they will automatically vary the frequency and speed of the wipe.
A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - corax
Oh, and I like a rain sensor as well. Cars without or with a non functioning one really annoy me.

You can't be serious. There have got to be worse things in life to get annoyed about.

Oh, and I like a rain sensor as well. Cars without or with a non functioning one really annoy me.

You can't be serious. There have got to be worse things in life to get annoyed about.

I think that applies to everything in this thread!

Many technological advances in cars are introduced to make life easier for the motorist.

And may it go on making our lives easier, I for one am all for high Tech, but if people no like it they dont have to use it (most of the time)- thing is Tech will carry on marching on whether we like it or not and probably more so when EVs become the norm...I think the latest possible thing could be fully electronic brakes, where at the moment (may be wrong) are electrohydraulic on some cars

correct me if wrong

I'm sorry, but with all due respect (etc) most of the facilities you list are little more than toys, perhaps invented by late adolescents as a challenge. I can see the fun in heating the car from a distance, but little real need for it.

Its a bit odd for anyone in this thread to complain about anything on a car being a toy or just for fun. For as long as I can remember (a very long time) a major part of the cost of almost every car sold in the UK could be categorised as just for fun.

If everyone purchased a car solely as a utility to carry them and their passengers safely from A to B the size and engine power of most would plummet for a start. And why do we need a choice of fancy colours let alone metallic paint. All those alloy wheels can go, promptly followed by the multi speaker audio systems. I managed to drive all over the country long before anyone dreamed of a satnav. I could go on ...

So you see Andrew-T you are on dangerous ground as long as you persist in owning a car. Regardless of its age the principle is the same.

<< If everyone purchased a car solely as a utility to carry them and their passengers safely from A to B the size and engine power of most would plummet for a start. And why do we need a choice of fancy colours let alone metallic paint. All those alloy wheels can go, promptly followed by the multi speaker audio systems. I managed to drive all over the country long before anyone dreamed of a satnav. I could go on >>

I think safety (when you include crumple zones, crash bars, airbags etc) is a large cause of cars getting heavier. On the other points, I would stick with alloys, now that scallies have given up trying to nick them, as they are much easier to keep clean than steels, which rust. Multispeaker audio I can do without, also satnav. I sometimes enjoy watching others' satnav manipulating its map, but updates cost, and I have always been good with maps, so why bother ? They must be a boon for delivery drivers, but I'm not one.

I like maps too but last time I looked paper maps struggle to give dynamic traffic updates which tell me there is a 2 hour hold up ahead of me on the motorway and if I dive off the motorway at the next exit and take to the back roads I might be home for dinner.

Also, reading a paper map and driving at the same time isn't that easy (or safe)

Also, reading a paper map and driving at the same time isn't that easy (or safe)

The map can be used before a journey to assess the pleasure or interest offered by various choices. While I recognise that a map is no use for traffic updates or reading while driving, a navigator in the passenger seat may compensate.

Do amateur rally drivers still use maps ?

Whist rally drivers don’t use maps, navigators on road rallies do - simply because the regulations state that they have to do.

I’m going to take a guess that your mileage is different to mine. This week I’ve got to go Manchester to Coventry on Tuesday and Manchester to Grimsby on Wednesday. I’m off to Lancaster on Friday. On each of those journeys, I can do it door to door without any form of navigational assistance. Equally, I’ve no interest in taking in any sightseeing on the way. But I will use Waze every mile of the way, simply to get there as efficiently and quickly as possible.

95% of.my driving is solo.

Diversifying, I know, but PAS (apart from being a nice thing to have) enabled manufacturers to build in steering geometry that would benefit the driver, rather than being limited to doing only what the driver could cope with.

PAS was increasingly needed as wrong wheel drive became the norm, cars got heavier and worm drive in a steering box became rack and pinion.

The popularity of Diesel engines made them a must have in more mundane models, i well recall the Mk2 Golf Diesel that MiL of the time bought (a cracking used buy from a Volvo Dealer who didn't even advertise it was Diesel), despite being fitted with quite narrow tyres it was ridiculously heavy at maneuvering speeds, we had quotes for PAS conversion that were ridiculous, so i changed the front tyres for something else and inflated them to the maximum recommended for the car, it was then reasonable...i had a Mk1.5 Golf Diesel which we really quite light on the steering despite fitting larger alloy wheels and tyres from a Scirroco.

Petrol versions of Golfs, Escorts Astras 306 etc of the period were still fairly ok with manual steering but Diesel versions in the 80's (Diesel engines being much heavier in those days) were too heavy even for strong people.

Anecdotally even braking that Golf was hard work on the OE Textar pads, i swapped out the pads for Ferodo which improved things greatly, but had to also swap the rear shoes for the same make as with the two different friction rates of material it became prone to locking the front wheels prematurely, fitting Ferodo all round sorted that...again due to the engine weight VW fitted GTi pads to the front but the discs were solid not vented, so quite likely the caliper operating on a narrower disc was a one off.

I found lots of odd things like that working on Diesels in their early years, also found replacing batteries with the one designed for the Diesel version every time wherever it would fit gave a much easier start.

Another anecdote, my first 3 years of driving artics i had no power steering, yes archaic, but it sharpened up your maneuvering skills no end.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/10/2020 at 14:12

Also giving us the benefit of much higher geared steering. 4.5 turns wasn’t unusual, pre-PAS, whereas now we’re at maybe 2.5 turns. Much easier to deal with any unexpected ‘moment’, instead of endless wheel twirling.
It’s no accident that back in pre-PAS days a rally Escort would have a non-assisted quick rack fitted, the steering weight became an inconvenience at low speed, traded off by increased controllability at higher velocities.

Humans are odd. They may spend an hour a day a car, and 12+ hours at homes.

They seem content to pay £20 - 50k for some plastic and metal on wheels, convinced that keyless brakes, rain sensing boot lids, and remote dimming wipers are essential features.

They as watch their prized posssession, fully equipped with almost every luxury known to man, becomes obselete at a rate of £4-10k a year.

By contrast, the houses we live in often demonstrate an almost obsessive awareness of cost vs utility, often prizing function over appearance or perceived luxury.

The bed, settee, cooker, decor, carpets etc etc will have remained unchanged for 5, 10 or 15 years. It seems an unnecessary expense to replace them.

Some would call it daft or unbalanced. With apologies to all those who prefer bangernomics yet live in the lap of material home over indulgence.

Seem to prefer the old system of discs on the front brakes and drums on the rear. The rears seem to require little or no attention as they were fully enclosed from the elements and the handbrake efficiency was brilliant . Surprised to see this system on my partners new Captur.
Think GB has the best of both worlds !
The anomaly there is that 2019 Captur and 2019 Juke are on the same platform, but Juke gets rear discs, whilst Captur gets rear drums. Both on EPB’s.
A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - smallcar

I Have struggled to get electronic parking brakes to work easily. My car doesn't have one but occasional rental cars do and each seemed to operate differently - some push down, others pull up etc. I remember a really unnerving situation in a German multi storey parking garage which had a slope to it and I was cursing and trying to get the EPB to come on. I thought it had then the car started rolling back. Managed to hit the foot brake and avoid hitting a pillar by CMs. At least with a pull up handbrake they work the same in all cars.

I would try and avoid the EPB in a future car purchase.

Seem to prefer the old system of discs on the front brakes and drums on the rear. The rears seem to require little or no attention as they were fully enclosed from the elements and the handbrake efficiency was brilliant . Surprised to see this system on my partners new Captur. Think GB has the best of both worlds !

Drum brakes can be a bad idea if going through floods as the water can/will prevent the drum from contacting the brake shoes and if not looked after (once or twice a year stripdown rebuild) including adjustment, they can sieze and become inoperative

Which has happened to many over the years

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Penumbra

Going back to the original post; It's not like car thefts are a new thing. the last few years have seen an increase in car thefts but that includes "keyed" vehicles as well as keyless, It's still the same vehicles topping the stolen list as in previous non-wireless years, e.g Range Rover, BMWs, and at least the crims don't have to smash their way into your house and threaten the family to get the keys

Manufactures are now incorporating more security methods within the keyfob, being able to easily disable the fob and motion sensor technology to name but two, and interestingly, new govt legislation referencing GDPR and autonomous vehicles will have a positive benefit regarding vehicle security.

That doesn't seem anywhere near as safe a car as being able to force a screwdriver into the door barrel and hotwire it from under the steering column...(sarcasm).

I suppose the explosion in cars bought on credit (e.g. via PCP deals) hasn't helped, because so many people who previously could not 'afford' many of these high-end /expensive cars now 'can' (at least on the surface). Lots more targets for the thieves.

The same goes for certain types of car and makes/models where their CATs are easy to steal and apparently VERY valuable.

And talking about modern technology, how do the panel feel about low speed autonomous braking.

S-i-Law was targeted at a roundabout by by (what he thinks) may have been one of these cash for crash characters jamming on the anchors unexpectedly. Because the braking cut in so quickly, no accident occurred and the driver just sped away.

Because the braking cut in so quickly, no accident occurred and the driver just sped away.

Great, but that will improve the chances of the car behind - without this device - hitting the rear instead. OK, so not your fault, insurance will pay, but swings & roundabouts just the same.

I still feel the benefits outrank the drawbacks. If, for example, it saves a child from being knocked down (which is one of the original design elements) then I'm all for it.

Continuing my theme of interesting side effects of this thread it is really bringing the Luddites out of the woodwork. However, in spite of my liking for EPBs I do agree with @smallcar that something should be done to standardise the way they operate.

Continuing my theme of interesting side effects of this thread it is really bringing the Luddites out of the woodwork.

We Luddites don't hide in the woodwork. We try to offer a reasoned antidote to the wiles of overzealous salesmen. Those who fall for, or genuinely desire, gizmos of rather intermittent value are welcome to them. The problem for Luddites is that they gradually become forced to accept them too, with all their downsides :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 19/10/2020 at 17:35

'Great, but that will improve the chances of the car behind - without this device - hitting the rear instead. OK, so not your fault, insurance will pay, but swings & roundabouts just the same.'

If the following car is under three years old, it too probably has AEBS, and will react accordingly.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - dan86

'Great, but that will improve the chances of the car behind - without this device - hitting the rear instead. OK, so not your fault, insurance will pay, but swings & roundabouts just the same.'

If the following car is under three years old, it too probably has AEBS, and will react accordingly.

Or do as I do in my 10 year old car and keep a sensible distance not that most do.

Not too sure about tyre pressure indicators which I always seem to struggle with resetting after an alarm .

I still feel the benefits outrank the drawbacks. If, for example, it saves a child from being knocked down (which is one of the original design elements) then I'm all for it.

It depends - I know quite a few colleagues over the years who've admitted driving faster, driving far closer to vehicles in front and braking later because they believe their ABS and emergency brakeforce assist systems will always come to their aid should they do something really silly.

That's not to say we should all drive as if the man waving the red flag in front of a car is still in operation, but people should realise these are safety features in case of unexpected emergencies, and not to be relied upon during normal driving instead of your driving skills.

As I said before, the more gizmos cars have that take our attention away from driving/the road, the more I think people will become complacent and possibly take more risks.

I have no issue with safety features that reduce the effect of accidents or that bring extra information to the driver's attention that normally wouldn't be done by looking or hearing by ourselves.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 20/10/2020 at 13:20

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Trilogy.

Because the braking cut in so quickly, no accident occurred and the driver just sped away.

Great, but that will improve the chances of the car behind - without this device - hitting the rear instead. OK, so not your fault, insurance will pay, but swings & roundabouts just the same.

Keep a good distance away.

How did we manage all these years before all this electrickery came long.

Anwsering my own question.

Most of us did, we learned how to control our vehicles and ourselves, sadly there is always an element that needs protecting from themselves and their failings, and in the great progressive dream of utopian western wonder where all are equal, we all must be as hopeless as the worse case, the rule is one size fits all based on the lowest common denominator.

And on that great philosophical bombshell, I’ll carry on embracing any new technology that keeps me and mine safer on the roads, gets me to places economically and efficiently, and with the minimum of effort or discomfort.

(Deleted the next bit as not sure what it is saying)

How did we manage all the years before these cars for the masses came along?

Answering my own question.

Most of us did in the decade after WWII when private cars were few and far between. We learned how to walk, use buses and make a trolley from a tea chest and pram wheels to fetch DIY stuff from the builders merchant.

I am, of course, addicted to the car like the rest of you. As I said earlier, the car itself is the greatest gadget yet invented but its not a necessity of life any more than its keyless entry system.

Most of us did, we learned how to control our vehicles and ourselves, sadly there is always an element that needs protecting from themselves and their failings, and in the great progressive dream of utopian western wonder where all are equal, we all must be as hopeless as the worse case, the rule is one size fits all based on the lowest common denominator.

Statistically speaking most people didn't - in fact despite far less traffic, slower roads and slower cars a lot more people managed to kill or injure themselves in some sort of accident. Some of that may have been because they were p***ed at the time but nonetheless motoring in UK has never been safer.

Personally I think that is a good thing and I'll happily take a comfortable, warm, stable modern car with a great stereo to sooth me, good wipers, good headlights, sensible driving aids than some s*** box from yesteryear for a long journey.

The progress is quite remarkable really. In the past you'd have needed some sort of luxury saloon to enjoy any long journey in comfort. You could now take any supermini and drive it to the south of France tomorrow (if allowed) and it would be fine. That's progress in my book.

Edited by pd on 19/10/2020 at 23:05

<< I'll happily take a comfortable, warm, stable modern car with a great stereo to sooth me, good wipers, good headlights >>

Don't get us started on headlights, we've been down that road several times. Headlamps on modern cars are now unpleasantly bright, partly to help drivers see through the glare caused by all the others. That, for me, is progress that has gone too far, it's just a wattage war.

Would agree some of the latest are OTT. There is a happy medium however.

With car headlights the direction, shape and scatter of the beam is at least or probably more important than its brightness. Modern headlights using diodes have much better beam control so it is misleading to assume that they cause problems for other drivers simply on the basis of their greater brightness.

With car headlights the direction, shape and scatter of the beam is at least or probably more important than its brightness. Modern headlights using diodes have much better beam control so it is misleading to assume that they cause problems for other drivers simply on the basis of their greater brightness.

Precise alignment is negated when opposing traffic transits a speed bump or plateau and also when coming over a crest. On a narrow, winding road this is a hazard when faced with God knows how many lumens from a Chelsea tractor with every bulb lit.

My sentiments exactly.

Bit of a conundrum about headlights.

Accept current headlights with megawatt power occassionally blind oncoming drivers.

Go back to the good old bad old days where three candlepower was standard issue

Both are safety features - people drive slower when they can't see where they are going.

Both are safety features - people drive slower when they can't see where they are going.

Hopefully most do. But as Galileo says above, even clever alignment cannot allow for real-world roads. It's as if mega-lamp designers assume that everyone drives on M-ways, where there are almost no bumps or curvature, and a median barrier may alleviate glare from facing drivers - who aren't straight ahead anyway.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Sofa Spud

Bit of a conundrum about headlights.

Accept current headlights with megawatt power occassionally blind oncoming drivers.

Go back to the good old bad old days where three candlepower was standard issue

Not sure about people driving more safely when they can't see where they're going. The professional advice is to tailor your speed at night to how far ahead you can see. So if you're dazzled by an oncoming car, you should slow down. But I've been with drivers who 'drive through' the dazzle and they are usually the sort that mutter if a driver in front brakes because of oncoming lights. So my thinking is that if cars were fitted with dimmer headlights, a lot of drivers wouldn't drive any slower at night.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/10/2020 at 13:42

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Sofa Spud

My sentiments exactly.

In the period following the First World War more and more cars were fitted with 4-wheel brakes, which greatly improved stopping ability compared to brakes on the rear wheels only, which had been common practice up until then. Yet 4-wheel brakes were controversial at the time because some motorists claimed it would make drivers less careful and take more risks, while others thought it would de-skill driving and wasn't quite 'playing the game'.

Reading some of the comments in this thread you could be forgiven for believing the posters are still driving pre First World War cars. No chance of dazzling anyone with oil lamps!

Reading some of the comments in this thread you could be forgiven for believing the posters are still driving pre First World War cars. No chance of dazzling anyone with oil lamps!

I sometimes wonder how people got about in WW2, when the feeble headlamps were made even feebler with shrouds.

I sometimes wonder how people got about in WW2, when the feeble headlamps were made even feebler with shrouds.

Night vision not destroyed by the ridiculous amount and intensity of lights we suffer now.

You don't have to go back many years and everyone in London would be driving on sidelights only, a safer for everyone (especially pedestrians and cyclists) and much more pleasant experience than now with the worsening light wars.

I doubt the game-boy generation would understand.

Night vision not destroyed by the ridiculous amount and intensity of lights we suffer now.

You don't have to go back many years and everyone in London would be driving on sidelights only, a safer for everyone (especially pedestrians and cyclists) and much more pleasant experience than now with the worsening light wars.

I remember the original campaign encouraging everyone to use headlamps in well-lit urban streets: it was mainly sponsored by Joseph Lucas, & Co, chief supplier of vehicle light bulbs and car batteries, dynamos etc. Purely for safety of course, not to drum up more replacement business, only someone cynical would doubt that.

They would, lighting is a major part of a game which most makers of screens now try to make as good as possible, its the difference between winning a game and losing

Ask a gamer

and I agree sidelights were better than headlights in certain conditions there was a time I only drove on sidelights untill the law changed

One system that I would dearly love is a built in sat nav.

Currently using a plug in stick on the windscreen type , which I often don’t bother fixing up because of the loss of windscreen vision and long power lead fowling the gear lever.

Is there any alternative apart from a phone with google maps ?

A car with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. You’ll get all the advantages of Google Maps but on the car’s screen, and your phone can live in the centre console, passenger seat, wherever as long as it’s still on a charging lead.

One system that I would dearly love is a built in sat nav.

Currently using a plug in stick on the windscreen type , which I often don’t bother fixing up because of the loss of windscreen vision and long power lead fowling the gear lever.

Is there any alternative apart from a phone with google maps ?

The downside of a builtin sat nav is the cost/complexity of updates to the maps and soiftware - often restricted to dealer computers, the repeated charge can be double the cost of a stand-alone sat nav although some brands include it as free during warranty.

Invest in a holder for your phone, positioned where it suits you with a hard-wired cable for your phone charger.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Lee Power

Android Auto / Apple Carplay is really the best way forward instead of a built in sat nav - if only vehicle manufacturers would upgrade there systems for wireless connection.

Modern smart phones are ready for this but hardly any vehicle manufacturers built in Android / Apple compatible infotainment unit supports wireless connection for the feature.

I'd imagine the battery drain from the phone would be horrific on wireless CarPlay/Android Auto, so I'm happy to keep mine plugged in and charging.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - grumpyscot

I took the base Karoq mainly because it doesn't have keyless entry. So many cars in out area with keyless are stolen.

Liked the cruise control - which I had on my CRV beforehand

Took a while to get used to the electronic brake but like it now

Detest the stop/start and disable it as soon as I start up

Miss not having a rear camera, so thinking of fitting one - something I loved in the CRV

Auto lights? Great - had the in the CRV so think every car should have them

Auto wipers - good - and I like that if they're on for more than 20 seconds the headlights come on - the CRV did that too

Don't miss heated seats as thankfully I have material seats (I hate leather)

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - alan1302

Until the car I have now I'd never had this - and from what I read thought I was going to hate it. But don't understand why people dislike it. When I come to a stop it turns the car off and as soon as it's in gear it gets going.

Until the car I have now I'd never had this - and from what I read thought I was going to hate it. But don't understand why people dislike it. When I come to a stop it turns the car off and as soon as it's in gear it gets going.

Because under many types of car usage, those systems drain their batteries and then go dead, meaning they are dead weight (lower mpg) until they self-recharge (not easy if you mainly do short urban trips or in heavy traffic with little chance to charge back up).

Many of these systems fail quite quickly and cost more to replace than the ordinary car battery, which often has to be beefed up to cope with many new systems and costs quite a bit more than traditional cars' ones.

Have a look at (say) the problems with cars like the Yaris hybrid and failing batteries - not the fault of the car, just how it's used - a flaw in the design of the system itself because it's not tailored to the type of use that sort of car gets. Because the car runs often on its hybrid battery, the ordinary battery goes dead quickly because the ICE engine isn't recharging enough it on short trips and the initial startup draw reduces the life further.

I remember seeing many posts over on the Mazda3 forum about similar issues with their stop-start systems (fine in use) because of the usage pattern. Many people just turn them off when they get into the car if they are going to be using it for the sort of trip that the system doesn't like.

'I remember seeing many posts over on the Mazda3 forum about similar issues with their stop-start systems (fine in use) because of the usage pattern. Many people just turn them off when they get into the car if they are going to be using it for the sort of trip that the system doesn't like.'

I'm curious why people do this in a Mazda, since iStop doesn't use the starter motor (hence battery) to restart.

A Toyota Hybrid will charge the 12V battery from the traction battery - it doesn't need the engine to be running.

'I remember seeing many posts over on the Mazda3 forum about similar issues with their stop-start systems (fine in use) because of the usage pattern. Many people just turn them off when they get into the car if they are going to be using it for the sort of trip that the system doesn't like.'

I'm curious why people do this in a Mazda, since iStop doesn't use the starter motor (hence battery) to restart.

AFAIK, the Mazda system uses its own 'battery' (I'm not sure, but it may in some guises have something similar to a capacitor), which will dissipate and then, once drained won't work until its own charging system works.

Whether it doing so 'steals' electrical power from the main battery charging system or engine power when charging, I don't know. Needless to say, which the system in operation seems to work better than other makes (I was told it doesn't have the 'car startup noise' most systems have), it is prone to getting discharged quickly, and can fail, resulting in a hefty bill (its a special 'battery' device) to replace it if it can't be recharged before it permanently expires.

Perhaps not the same effect as on the car as say on thye Yaris.

Misar may know more then me on this - I'm only relaying what I can remember from our Mazda3 forum, and Misar has owned newer versions of the car (mine doesn't have stop-start) and may well have personal experience with the device.

I know that Aussie car guru John Cadogan hates these devices and advocates turning them off (he was midly annoyed that the Mazda system has to be turned off every time you re-start the engine rather than just a off or on switch until you change the setting).

I suspect you're getting your technologies mixed up - iEloop is/was the capacitor on the 165ps petrol variants of Mazda6 and CX-5. It would rapidly charge ( a downhill motorway slip road would be long enough), and it would then give the car enough electrical power to run without the extra drag from the alternator for a little while.

iStop is the ability to restart the engine without the starter motor, hence no starter motor noise.

In over 11 years with two Mazda 3s i-Stop has worked faultlessly. I leave it on all the time because it has no adverse effect on my driving. Not to save fuel but because it is nice to sit in a silent car while it is just waiting to go somewhere. Thanks to Mazda's mild hybrid system and lithium battery the new car uses it sooner after startup and for longer periods.

Mazda have a clever system to minimise the need to use the starter motor to restart but it may still take some current. The older one was the first 3 with stop start and had a special I-Stop battery which did fail once during its 10 years - in the first 6 months due to a faulty batch replaced under warranty. There are so many criteria to meet before I-Stop will operate that it is impossible for it to cause a flat battery.

My comment is only on the Mazda 3 implementation because I have never used any other but I find it hard to believe that they are the only manufacturer to make a good job of stop start. In my view those with the most vocal criticisms have either not owned a car with stop start or never used it properly.

I remember seeing many posts over on the Mazda3 forum about similar issues with their stop-start systems (fine in use) because of the usage pattern. Many people just turn them off when they get into the car if they are going to be using it for the sort of trip that the system doesn't like.

In pursuit of my interest in factual posting I just went over to mazda3forums.co.uk and did a search on I-stop. That is the name used exclusively for Mazda's stop-start system since 2009 when it first appeared (on the Gen 2 Sport 2.0L DISI model).

From mid 2009 to date it found a total of only 57 hits. Looking at the titles plus a few spot checks the vast majority discuss the system, its benefits, how it works, etc. There seem to be just a few reports of issues.

Depends on your definition of many of course but possibly Engineer Andy exaggerates. Or perhaps his memory is failing these days.

In pursuit of my interest in factual posting I just went over to mazda3forums.co.uk and did a search on I-stop. That is the name used exclusively for Mazda's stop-start system since 2009 when it first appeared (on the Gen 2 Sport 2.0L DISI model).

From mid 2009 to date it found a total of only 57 hits. Looking at the titles plus a few spot checks the vast majority discuss the system, its benefits, how it works, etc. There seem to be just a few reports of issues.

Depends on your definition of many of course but possibly Engineer Andy exaggerates. Or perhaps his memory is failing these days.

Perhaps you should've carried out more than just 'a few spot checks' before making such rather rude remarks. Whilst you appear to believe I now hate everything Mazda - I don't - my comments related to posts on both on this forum and on the Mazda3 forum where members said that the Mazda system wasn't always suited to every driving situation, which then caused problems - not the tech itself per se, and would likely not be any worse than other brands.

I was also generous in my earlier, despite your previous comments on other threads directed at myself, to put you forward to describe your experiences with using the system.

Rather than just state what you have experienced, you decided to put the boot in again for no good reason. I was in no way trying to start an argument.

Whilst you appear to believe I now hate everything Mazda - I don't - my comments related to posts on both on this forum and on the Mazda3 forum where members said that the Mazda system wasn't always suited to every driving situation, which then caused problems - not the tech itself per se, and would likely not be any worse than other brands.

That statement makes no sense from someone who claims to understand stop start.

The system is designed to operate only under appropriate circumstances. As I have mentioned previously, Mazda has a long list of criteria which prevent it. For example, if the climate control is running full blast on a hot day in a traffic jam the i-Stop will not operate at all or only for very brief periods. That is not a failure, it is common sense operation and should be clear to any owner who bothers to read the manual.

Because under many types of car usage, those systems drain their batteries and then go dead, meaning they are dead weight (lower mpg) until they self-recharge (not easy if you mainly do short urban trips or in heavy traffic with little chance to charge back up).

Many of these systems fail quite quickly and cost more to replace than the ordinary car battery, which often has to be beefed up to cope with many new systems and costs quite a bit more than traditional cars' ones.

Don't the cars monitor the battery and only use the stop start when the battery is fine? I know mine does not always stop the car. And how much fuel saving would you need to compensate the extra cost of the battery would be intersdting to know.

They do - there are multiple criteria they have to hit before activating, including battery voltage.

If you factor in fuel consumption of approximately 1 litre per hour at idle, so that's about £1.14 per hour saved on stop/start.

If you factor in fuel consumption of approximately 1 litre per hour at idle, so that's about £1.14 per hour saved on stop/start.

You might have stopped at the first comma. The system is intended to save fuel (and pollution), not money. Anyhow you are very unlikely to save even an hour's idling, so the cash saving must be trivial.

When operating stop/start 'manually', as I often do at a traffic light which I know will be red for some while, I recall that some of the fuel saved while the engine is stopped will be needed to recharge the battery - especially starting a diesel motor, which takes more effort but uses less fuel while idling.

I was responding to the comment above regarding the fuel saving overcoming the extra cost of a more expensive battery. So it is relevant in this case.

I suspect that in Europe and the UK manufacturers have a wider interest in stop start than saving a drop of fuel for their owners. The system may give a significant improvement in the official CO2 or pollution tests, reducing EU penalties and (where appropriate) some road tax or business use tax rates. This also explains why they cannot provide an option to permanently disable the system.

I suspect that in Europe and the UK manufacturers have a wider interest in stop start than saving a drop of fuel for their owners. The system may give a significant improvement in the official CO2 or pollution tests, reducing EU penalties and (where appropriate) some road tax or business use tax rates. This also explains why they cannot provide an option to permanently disable the system.

I wonder if there have been an tests to compare the amount of fuel/CO2 etc saved by stop-start systems compared to that used to make, ship, fit and maintain them over the lifetime of the car, especially when factoring in that many appear to require replacement because they don't suit the driving pattern of many people and in many cases go flat and are often just dead weight, raising CO2 emissions when the car is used.

The problem with 'official' CO2 and mpg tests, even the newer WLTP ones is that they are still not real world tests across a range of driving patterns and over a sufficient amount of time to give a decent average or range of values.

I think they'd do better to just keep the weight down on cars to save of fuel/CO2 that way, plus make them more reliable by making them simpler and needing less replacement of wear and tear parts.

You've made the point that 'many' fail before. Are there any figures for this, or is it based on forums where people tend to say what's gone wrong, rather than post that things are carrying on as normal?

I can't imagine that every motor manufacturer in the world is fitting stop/start systems because they haven't explored other options at cleaning up emissions, regardless of the reason for cutting them.

Toyota's R&D budget is approx $10 billion annually - I think it's fair to say that they, along with other manufacturers, know what they're up to.

I wonder if there have been an tests to compare the amount of fuel/CO2 etc saved by stop-start systems compared to that used to make, ship, fit and maintain them over the lifetime of the car, especially when factoring in that many appear to require replacement because they don't suit the driving pattern of many people and in many cases go flat and are often just dead weight, raising CO2 emissions when the car is used.

The problem with 'official' CO2 and mpg tests, even the newer WLTP ones is that they are still not real world tests across a range of driving patterns and over a sufficient amount of time to give a decent average or range of values.

John Cadogan has educational talks on YouTube which explain that these systems are used by manufacturers because on the standard EU test cycle of about 20 minutes about one third of the time the car is stationary. Obviously this 'games' the emissions/road tax figures. on the same ethical level as VWs emissions cheat.

Scotty Kilmer also has a 5 minute YouTube piece explaining why theoretical savings aren't achieved in real-world driving.

'Obviously this 'games' the emissions/road tax figures. on the same ethical level as VWs emissions cheat.'

Hardly - VW had a whole set of software that recognised when it was on test and was never utilised when on the road. It was illegal, and has incurred huge fines to the company.

Stop start is transparent - there is a button on the dashboard, a warning light that indicates when its operational. It's a use of technology that, in this case, cuts emissions on the WLTP test.

NEDC has a stationary time of 13% of the total test time. Typically, cars will idle for less than that - obviously variable on conditions. The test below has a figure of 9%.

www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/do-the-benefits-of...s

Edited by mcb100 on 29/10/2020 at 18:11

NEDC has a stationary time of 13% of the total test time. Typically, cars will idle for less than that - obviously variable on conditions. The test below has a figure of 9%.

Thanks for that. I have long surmised that stop start is especially beneficial for the official test results but this is the first time I have seen supporting data. This outcome means stop start has benefited owners (less tax) even if they keep turning it off!

Thanks for that. I have long surmised that stop start is especially beneficial for the official test results but this is the first time I have seen supporting data. This outcome means stop start has benefited owners (less tax) even if they keep turning it off!

Rather like car owners 'benefitting' from their car not having a spare tyre as standard (just the tube of goo) but having the underboot space for one and not paying more VED for the extra CO2 having one produces because of the extra weight.

Clown World.

The problem I have with these 'tests' is that they don't replicate real-world driving - even the WLTP one isn't, it just is less bad as the previous one. None of them factor in the large cost of having and replacing the system when it inevitably fails.

These ‘tests’ are tests whether you agree or not. They test fuel economy and emissions in a controlled and uniform manner - how else do you suggest we do it?

Again you make the assertion that stop/start inevitably fails. Where is the evidence for this, apart from contributors to a Mazda forum? Batteries do fail, they’re a consumable item.

In fact even the Mazda forum lacks any real evidence of failed stop start systems. If you look carefully on the Mazda 3 forum you will find a handful of problems with the original Gen2 version probably due to the aging I-Stop battery. Any owner reluctant to replace it (probably about £80) can continue to use their car normally but without I-Stop so hardly a catastrophic "system failure".

NEDC should read WLTP

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - Senexdriver

Grateful for the mini review of the Karoq. I’m in 2 minds about it as a car. As a VAG man, I feel I know what I’d be buying, but I can’t decide whether it would be big enough for the load carrying we do and unless you go up to the Sportline - which I wouldn’t want - the looks are a bit bland. And whereas not so long ago it seemed pretty attractive price wise, I got a shock a couple of weeks ago when I saw how much they now cost.

Seat Ateca is a good alternative, being essentially the same car but more sporty looking and having just had a refresh. Main problem is that SWMBO is now our driver and I’d need to get her onside first. Test driving cars is not her idea of a fun afternoon.

Idling a 12/13 litre Diesel lorry engine uses between 3 and 4 litres per hour, even at a fast idle of 700 rpm driving a hydraulic driven compressor and hydraulics via the pto only uses just over 5 litres for an hour.

The savings on fuel for a typical car engine utilising this stop start faff must be so small as to be barely worth mentioning, i'd be surprised if the savings over several years covered the ridiculously priced battery such cars are supposed to require.

A system which no one wanted - Keyless car systems - veloceman
Not sure it’s all about saving fuel. But cleaner air for cities.
A line of cars at a red light with functioning start stop must be a good thing.

he savings on fuel for a typical car engine utilising this stop start faff must be so small as to be barely worth mentioning, i'd be surprised if the savings over several years covered the ridiculously priced battery such cars are supposed to require.

Just looked up battery prices...old car £89.99 for a 1.2l petrol with no stop start...new car £88.99 for a 1.5l diesel with stop start...so don't see any ridiculous prices there.

And if the car even stops for a few minutes each day it's a saving in my pocket and better than spewing fumes out when you don't need to.

Stop/start has never been about money saving. As mentioned above in any busy town or city during much of the day there are hundreds/thousands of stationary cars at any one time often sitting their pointlessly chucking out pollution in a very concentrated area.

OK, so drivers could turn off their engines manually, but they tend not to.

Edited by pd on 29/10/2020 at 22:34

Does this stop start mania extend outside the reach of the European Union? Can’t imagine those big American V8 bothering with such a fad?

First thing I do when I get in the car is to disable the dam thing !

Surely it must take its toll on the starter ring , not too worried about the motor as it’s replaceable.

Feel sorry for the residents of busy urban roads as all they must hear is the clunk clunk as the parade of cars travel two cars lengths before cutting out again.

I'm not checking them all, but the 2021 Corvette Stingray has stop/start.

If you hear a clunk clunk then there's something wrong...A decent article here explaining the technicalities of it - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-lon...e

Why do you disable it?

Edited by mcb100 on 30/10/2020 at 12:54

Idling a 12/13 litre Diesel lorry engine uses between 3 and 4 litres per hour, even at a fast idle of 700 rpm driving a hydraulic driven compressor and hydraulics via the pto only uses just over 5 litres for an hour.

The savings on fuel for a typical car engine utilising this stop start faff must be so small as to be barely worth mentioning, i'd be surprised if the savings over several years covered the ridiculously priced battery such cars are supposed to require.

Based on my 26 mile trip into work - Doncaster to Wakefiled via tha A roads I was sat stopped with the engine off for 4.5 minutes. So each day that would be 9. So 45 minutes a 5 day week. So 39 hours over the year...so if 1 litre is used every hour that's about £45 a year saved in fuel...5 year approx on a battery lasting - £225. So would more than pay for the cost of the battery with a £100 or more in my pocket. And that's just on that one journey.

Also not putting out fumes/pollution when the car has stopped is a good thing.

<< Also not putting out fumes/pollution when the car has stopped is a good thing.

That is the real purpose of stop/start, plus the maker's wish to get below some theoretical CO2 threshold.

But I suggest that you may have overestimated your money saving because (as I said above) restarting a car takes charge from the battery which will be replaced by using some of the fuel saved. I don't know how much, but I don't think it's insignificant, especially with a diesel engine.

The RAC are happy to quote a fuel saving of between 5-7% and a reduction in Co2 of up to 20%.

www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/road-safety/stop-start-.../

The RAC are happy to quote a fuel saving of between 5-7% and a reduction in Co2 of up to 20%.

That must be relating to an assumed mixture of driving, as used to be quoted by car makers 20+ years ago. It clearly won't apply to motorway alone.

As you correctly said - clearly.

As Mazda seems to have been mentioned a lot in this thread its also worth pointing out that their current system makes minimal use of the starter motor to restart. It sounds quite different from the normal push button cold start and is mostly imperceptible as you pull away. This may now be helped by their mild hybrid system used in conjunction with it. I assume as usual that the current system used by many other makes is much the same even it the precise mechanism differs.

I’ll have to check this, but I think I’m right in saying that on cars with M Hybrid it’s the motor/generator that does the restarts, via a belt and drawing from the 24V traction battery. So still no starter motor or ring gear wear.

In fact Mazda claim they do not "rely on" the starter motor:

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

There is more information plus pictures here: www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-stop/

Looking at the pictures this seems to be their older system without M-Hybrid (separate starter and alternator). Also one of the captions says "combustion + motor assist" which is vaguely what I remember reading years ago about my previous Mazda.

Edit: Google also found this which confirms that the above also applies to the M-Hybrid cars even if the picture is out of date:

Working in conjunction with the Mazda M Hybrid system, all versions of the 2020 Mazda2 are also equipped with the i-stop idle-stop technology as standard. Developed entirely in-house and tailored specifically for its application in Mazda’s Skyactiv engines, the i-stop idle-stop system uses combustion energy for restarting the engine, and only requires an electric-powered starter motor to provide a small degree of momentum during the initial restart phase.

Edited by misar on 30/10/2020 at 20:54