308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - Seve88

Looking at both cars, around 2016 plate, less than 45000 miles and around £9000. Do about 12000 miles a year, with very little town driving. Looking at 1.6 diesels. Reading up, like all cars, there are reports of issues (308 adblue tank and pipes, Astra timing chain guides).

Anybody driven both or have any opinions?

308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - Oli rag

I suspect that the 308 may be a nicer drive, but as they get older they do seem prone to electrical problems. I reckon you may be better to choose the bland astra as a long term prospect. There are of course other choices, which may be a better, a ford focus, toyota auris or honda civic are all an option.

308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - badbusdriver

That sort of mileage doesn’t necessitate diesel. A turbo petrol car of that size could easily manage 50+mpg on the motorway.

TBH, as a diesel, I wouldn’t be overly keen on either of your two choices. The Astra uses a Fiat engine which isn’t anything like as reliable as the 1.7 turbo diesel of earlier models (which was an Isuzu sourced unit). The PSA engine can be reliable, but needs diligent servicing (not just intervals, but ensuring the correct grade of oil is used).

If the car has to be diesel, I’d be going with the Civic 1.6DTEC all day long. But for me, I’d also be looking at some of the VAG options fitted with the 1.4TSI petrol, particularly the Seat Leon. As an estate, it’s a really nice looking machine.

308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - Lee Power

Forgot both of those choices & get a Toyota Auris hybrid estate.

Yes it bland & unexciting BUT it will be vastly more reliable then either a Peugeot or Vauxhall.

308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - Andrew-T

Yes it bland & unexciting BUT it will be vastly more reliable then either a Peugeot or Vauxhall.

One can be too much a slave to stats. The probability is that none of those cars would give you serious problems. Best get the car you find more comfortable, convenient or economical (or cheaper or less depreciating).

Too many variables.

Thanks all for the replies. I won't answer every point but I had considered all the other models mentioned. In particular the Civic was my preference, but given budget etc they are too expensive.

I would like to go back to petrol, as modern diesels seem so complicated. However, the cost of the models I'm looking at mean a petrol or diesel are fairly similar priced. I don't then see how a petrol would not end up costing me a fair but more a month in fuel (based on 1000 miles a month) and Honest John real world mpg of 40 vs 57 mpg.

Any advice on the realities of petrol vs diesel mpg?

308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - dafskipman

The Astra would be a better choice IMO, for a start its cheaper to insure across the range and it simply drives so much better, the handling, ride and steering are superior to the peugeot and the all important build quality is much better on the vauxhall as well. The 2016 Astra K is far superior to the Astra J it replaced and is almost as good as the class leading Ford Focus and VW Golf.(according to the motoring journalist's posting online). I base my own opinion on the fact i have driven many 308SW's and Astra K estates, as they are the company cars for middle management at my employer. As always though only you can decide which you'd prefer. I'd suggest a good long test drive in both and see which suits you best. As for the the issues you mention above, i'm of the opinion that as these are mass produced cars with many thousands sold these issues will only affect a small minority of those sold. At £9k and Sub 45k miles you should expect a healthy warranty from any dealer you buy from anyway.

308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - Ian_SW

If the OP has never driven a 308, the first thing I'd suggest is taking a test drive as the interior is a little unconventional.

When I hired one a few years back, I found the small steering wheel really unpleasant and didn't like the position of the instruments much either. The one thing which would prevent me ever buying one though was the 'musical' indicators. Instead of the usual quiet clicking, every time the indicators flash there is a really irritating "don-der-don-der" noise. To me that's right up there for annoyance value with the ridiculous tune (think Windows 95 start up music) that some Hyundais play when the drivers door is opened.

Engine-wise, I'd echo other posters. On out-of-town driving 45mpg is possible fairly easily in the 1.4 turbo petrol Astra (don't buy the non-turbo version, it's incredibly slow), and the cheaper price of petrol compared to diesel will pretty much cover that difference. I've only driven a diesel 308 so can't comment on the petrol engines in those...

308SW Astra - 308SW vs Astra Tourer - Lee Power

As a current petrol powered 308 T9 hatch back owner - Peugeot i-Cockpit where you look over the small steering wheel directly at the instruments & the road in front of you is an excellent concept ONCE you get used to it.

Its a shame as the rest of the long term ownership experience turns out meh especially if you have to contact Peugeot UK ( lack of ) customer care.

As for the 308 T9:

2016 vehicle will have the slow ponderous & annoying to use s*** based infotainment system that users have reported in the last few weeks can suffered a rebooting issue - needs to have the latest firmware installed to cure / not suffer from the issue.

Up to early 2016 build the rear suspension sub frame cracks.

Front suspension struts can suffer knocking noise - later upgraded modified units must be fitted as a pair.

Diesel ad blue pumps fail - about a £1k bill if taken to a Peugeot dealer.

Puretech turbo charged engine the inlet valves can coke up, early generation 1 timing belts ( which are running in oil as its a wet belt ) the rubber degrades & falls off the belt & blocks the oil system which can destroy the engine.

Just had my 2016 - 34k mile Puretech 130 inlet valves de coked & eventually Peugeot UK paid for it - known design fault with direct injection petrol engines - excellent reputation for an engine of the year award winner four years in a row.

Not bad considering full up to date Peugeot main dealer service history & Peugeot extended warranty - which flatly refused to pay.

Thats why I said go buy a Toyota Auris estate - boring but reliable.

Edited by Lee Power on 16/10/2020 at 04:38

Thanks everybody for the input. I think ibhave now ruled out the Peugeot. Managed to sit in one, but not drive. Position was fine for me and I liked the look and feel. However, too many potential issues.

Drive an Astra and liked it. Only downside was the lack of decent under boot storage

Plenty of Astras around 40,000 mile mark. My first choice as a Civic. For the same price and age I am looking at 55,000 miles. The usual condumdrum of balancing am apprantly more reliable but higher mileage car vs lower mileage but not apparently as reliable (but not bad either).