Seat Altea 2007 - Rear wiper has intermittent fault. - Johngalaxy

Hi,

Say the normal motion of my rear wiper arm is from 9.o`clock to 3 o`clock . A few weeks ago my wiper arm was moving erratically when i turned it on. It was moving from 9 o`clock to 4 o`clock to 10 o`clock to 2 o`clock and so on. Then it stopped working altogether.

I took the wiper motor mechanism cover off and inside was seized with rust and grim. I got all the moving parts moving freely again with WD40 and thoroughly cleaned the moving parts.

Now with the wiper mechanism thoroughly cleaned and oiled the wiper moves from 9 o`clock to 11 o`clock and then stops.

When i leave the car overnight and turn the car on the wiper moves from 11 o`clock to 3 o`clock and back to 9 o`clock (start position)

Then when i turn on the wiper again it will go from 9 o`clock to 11 o`clock and stop.

What could be causing this intermittent fault?

Thanks

Seat Altea 2007 - Rear wiper has intermittent fault. - elekie&a/c doctor
In common with most Vag models, the rear wash tubing runs through the motor to the wash jet . After time , the tube leaks and causes the mechanism to seize up . The water also wrecks the electronic circuit within the motor . I think you are going to have to replace the motor .
Seat Altea 2007 - Rear wiper has intermittent fault. - Andrew-T

It's an oldish car. Peugeot wiper motors were prone to similar failures such as refusing to park correctly. If you feel up to a bit of DiY, find a used motor on E-bay. The electronics are probably integral with the motor assembly.