Looking for a new Compact SUV - Mmarsh1972

Hi

Small Bio: American single dad living just outside of Paris with a 6 year old girl. I am a proud owner of a 2012 Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT. A very good car but I am thinking I need something a little bigger, and more powerful. I want a subcompact/compact SUV for the bigger boot and higher driving position

Must have a Automatic Transmission or Hybrid. NO MANUAL GEARBOX or ELECTRIC. I dislike the former for city driving and not equipped for the later.

Will be slightly used/like new. Not looking for new. Want to spend about 20,000 EUROS MAX.

I am mainly a weekend suburb driver although due to a recent office relocation I may soon start driving to work (lots of start and stop in heavy traffic). About 50 KM a day.

I was playing around with idea of a Hybrid especially if I do start driving to work. I'd appreciate thoughts if the higher purchase price is worth it?

I was looking at the Honda HR-V and although it has some good points the reviewers are not as sold on it. The underpowered CVT being chief among them (an issue I also have with the Jazz). Also the entertain/control system isn't great.

The price Renault Captur is attractive. I took at the KIA Niro today too. Maybe a Nissan Qushqai or a Peugoet 3008? Renault Kadjar?

But I need advice. Can you guys advise?

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 02/10/2020 at 20:02

Looking for a new Compact SUV - badbusdriver

Haven’t we been here before?, at least once but possibly twice?.

Looking for a new Compact SUV - Mike H

It rang a bell with me as soon as I saw it!

Looking for a new Compact SUV - SLO76
I don’t know the market over there or what €20,000 will buy but I can advise you to remove the Renault’s and Nissan’s from your search as neither are reliable, especially with an autobox. The Honda HRV, Mazda CX3 2.0 Skyactiv auto, Toyota C-HR 1.2 CVT and Kia Niro all should prove robust and long-lived if looked after. The Peugeot 2008 1.2 uses a good engine and gearbox plus it should be easy to find in numbers over there, the larger Pugs are less reliable and mostly diesels which may not suit your usage.
Looking for a new Compact SUV - Avant

"The Renault Captur is attractive. I took at the KIA Niro today too. Maybe a Nissan Qashqai or a Peugeot 3008? Renault Kadjar?"

Without knowing anything about the French used car market, I'd have thought that a newish one of any of these should be within budget. Add to the list the Citroen Berlingo and Citroen C3 or C4 Picasso.

Recently Citroen through some marketing idiocy have dropped the good, memorable Picasso name and substituted something humdrum that I can't remember. Similar car though - not sure when they made the change.

For you, the advantage of a French car is that there will be lots around to choose from. The French have a high proportion of home-grown cars compared with the UK - probably because I believe they usually specify fewer optional electronic gizmos. The Brits love their gadgets, and electronics are what tends to go wrong on French cars.

Haven’t we been here before?, at least once but possibly twice?.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/135941/upgrading-f...a

As i thought!...................

For the OP, surely there is no point asking the same question again without referencing your previous thread?. If you don't like what was suggested the first time, you need to say why, otherwise you will get the same suggestions again.

I confess I am surprised anyone would remember a thread from 4 months ago, but people have offered different suggestions. I am taking another look at the Peugeot 2008 for example. A refresh clears my mind than repeating an old thread.

I guess the problem is that nothing that really stands out. With the Jazz the winner was clear based on the reviews. It was either that or the C3 Picasso, but the C3 was 1500 Euros more expensive and with a brand new Auto gearbox I didn't trust. Plus the Jazz (Fit) was extremely popular back home so it winner, winner, Chicken dinner. That was 2012.

Today things are different. Now I am a divorced single dad. The Compact SUV market in 2020 is extremely competitive and there are all sorts of options and decisions that now exist that I just can't wrap my head around.

The two things I know for sure: A SUV/Crossover with a Auto gearbox.

The KIA Seltos seemed to be absolutely perfect, only one issue KIA will not sell it in Europe. I looked at the Niro instead, but its pricey...sigh, another dead end.

I liked the HRV and its still on the short list, but more than one review (in fact all of them) complained about the lack of power which is a major complaint I have about my Jazz. That is preventing me from pulling the trigger.

I live in France..but people in the UK don't seem to like French cars which is a problem because they are the cheapest and most abundant.

For example I am looking at a top spec 2019 2008 with only 15000KM for 15K, a comparable HRV would be at least 5-8 grand more. Then again, then HRV has a larger boot and that's important too.

And there is Hybrid..is it worth getting or not? The French Government really wants people to get Hybrids or electrics. Honda is rumored to have a Hybrid HRV in development.

Plus its a huge financial decision...my mind is about to blow...

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 03/10/2020 at 13:40

Looking for a new Compact SUV - Heidfirst

The two things I know for sure: A SUV/Crossover with a Auto gearbox.

And there is Hybrid..is it worth getting or not? The French Government really wants people to get Hybrids or electrics. Honda is rumored to have a Hybrid HRV in development.

Is the higher seating position that important to you that you rule out estates/stationwagons?

As for hybrid if you are doing largely urban trips then it will give better mpg/less emission than a pure petrol. Whether the reduced fuel consumption will pay for the increased purchase price we don't know enough about your usage & the French market/taxes to say.

& if you have lived in France for several years then hopefully you can speak French well enough to get by - is there not a French car forum that could help you? They would have a better knowledge of what is available & pros & cons in France.

I cut my teeth on a old Volvo 240 station wagon in New York, they are fine in the countryside but they are a pain in the ass in the city, especially for parking. Compact SUV are perfect, a decent package that's not a barge.

Second reason: they are not as common where I live (Paris suburb). The segment have been largely surpassed in favor of SUVs. There is a lot more choice in the SUV Market.

So yes, definitely out.

As for Hybrids, Right now, I am mainly a weekend Driver, although I may soon start commuting to work by car because of a rather inconvenient office relocation that makes public transportation much longer. If I were to do this, I would estimate I would drive about 50KM a day, in very heavy traffic.

Sure, but my spelling is atrocious and I am more comfortable in English. Besides the car market is close. There are only a few brands in the UK I wouldn't/couldn't get, some trims and engine choices too but I can compensate for that. Otherwise its very similar, unlike say the USA where everything is different.

Looking for a new Compact SUV - Avant

You're going about this in the right way - setting out your particular needs first - but the only way you'll 'wrap your head around' it is to test-drive the cars on your short-list. We can suggest alternatives buty only you can tell what you like and what suits your needs.

If none of the French cars appeals, then look at the Suzuki Vitara, Toyota Auris estate, Nissan Qashqai and Toyota RAV-4.

Thanks.

They do the Peugoet 2008 and the Captur for example, but I also like the relibility of the Japanese/Korean cars..

I don't understand why the UK doesn't like French cars. I have driven 308s and C3 when I did my French Drivers license there wasn't anything horrible out them. My ex-wife needed an Automatic and I thought the Japanese were better in that domain which is why I got the Jazz (better boot too).

My parents have a Scenic II which they love (but its has over 220,000KM on it which is why I might sell them the Jazz).

Why are people here so opposed to them (and Nissan)? The Qashqai, 3008 and the Captur are the best selling SUVs in France, they can't be all bad right?

Thanks.

They do the Peugoet 2008 and the Captur for example, but I also like the relibility of the Japanese/Korean cars..

I don't understand why the UK doesn't like French cars. I have driven 308s and C3 when I did my French Drivers license there wasn't anything horrible out them. My ex-wife needed an Automatic and I thought the Japanese were better in that domain which is why I got the Jazz (better boot too).

My parents have a Scenic II which they love (but its has over 220,000KM on it which is why I might sell them the Jazz).

Why are people here so opposed to them (and Nissan)? The Qashqai, 3008 and the Captur are the best selling SUVs in France, they can't be all bad right?

All this is why you have to make your own choice based on what is important to you.

A few points though, the UK does like French cars, if that wasn’t the case, they wouldn’t sell as many!. But buying new is not the same as buying used, which is what you are doing.

This leads to your last paragraph, it isn’t that people in general are opposed to them, more that statistically, a French car (this includes the Qashqai, which is just a Renault Megane in high heels) is likely to be less reliable than a Japanese or Korean car. Does that make them all bad?, no, of course not.

Thing is, you also want auto, and that does add an extra factor of uncertainty. The Renault Captur and Kadjar both use automated manuals. Depending on age, a Peugoet 2008 and 3008 could do too (current versions of both use a torque converter auto). Dual clutch automated manuals, generally, are not known for long term reliability, though they can be reliable depending on how they have been driven (and how would you find this out on a 2nd hand car?). Single clutch versions could, in theory, be more reliable simply by being less complex, but again, this will depend on how previous owner/s have treated it. But in addition, single clutch versions can suffer from jerky progress, which can be overcome (to an extent) by adapting your driving style to suit. The Qashqai will have either an unreliable CVT or an automated manual (dual clutch I think).

You have said what your budget is, and that appears to be decent enough, but for us here in the UK, ultimately meaningless as we don’t know how well or otherwise cars in France hold their value, which are more desirable used, etc.

Finally, you have very clearly stated a preference for an SUV type car, for a bigger boot and higher driving position. You mentioned the Peugoet 2008, but that is pretty much the same height as your Jazz, and the boot, by volume, is only fractionally bigger!. OK, with the 1.2 turbo engine, it is going to be much easier on the hills due to the extra torque at much lower revs. I guess my point is not to assume that simply being an SUV/crossover is going to result in a higher seating position and bigger boot!.

Looking for a new Compact SUV - Steveieb

I like SLO have a deep seated aversion to Renaults reliability record but against all my gut feeling I agreed for my partner to buy the old model but with the new 1.3 turbo petrol engine shared with the A Class.

But the Captur has been faultless over twelve months enough to persuade me that Renault have turned the corner and we will no longer see the bumper stickers “ Built in France fell apart in Britain “.

Looking for a new Compact SUV - SLO76
Renault are a bit hit and miss regards reliability and it’s still too early to tell if the newer 1.3 TCe motor is going to prove more robust than the fragile 1.2 TCe that preceded it.
Looking for a new Compact SUV - focussed

I also live in France, a useful website for the OP to do some homework on is

occasion.largus.fr/ile-de-france/

As well as car adverts it has an estimator of what your car is worth, technical sheets on various models and is quite easy to use (for a french website which are usually b***** awful).

Looking for a new Compact SUV - John F

I don't understand why the UK doesn't like French cars.

Many of us like certain French cars a lot. The UK likes cars from all over the world, in stark contrast to the parochial French, whose streets are lined with predominantly French cars. If you want to avoid the dismissive procrastination of a provincial French garage when I tried to get a replacement HT lead for our misfiring 'foreign' car (a German VW Passat) when on holiday there once, I would go for the French Peugeot 2008 I suggested previously. Incidentally, today's Sunday Times magazine considers the Ford Puma to be small SUV/crossover of the year. But it's north of £20K and I wouldn't rate its powertrain above a 1.2 puretech EAT6.