Kia Soul is VW up - Maggie Dickenson

hi all

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I dont know a huge amount about cars, so need some support.

I've been to see 2 cars, I like them both but have no idea which one to go for.

THE CARS ARE

Kia Soul CDRi 2016. 37k

Or a

VW Up 1l 10k

Both the same price. Both got good stuff about them and I cannot make my mind up.

Whats your thoughs please

Kia Soul is VW up - badbusdriver

Very different cars!, one is a tiny petrol city car, the other is a uniquely styled diesel crossover.

What do you need the car for?, what type of journeys, passengers etc?. The general consensus is that unless you do lots of miles, or tow a caravan, diesel isn’t a good idea. The basic (60ps) Up might not be a great idea either, though the higher powered version (75ps) shouldn’t be too much hard work on the motorway.

I do actually have a soft spot for the Kia Soul myself, so can certainly see the appeal. But as I also love small cars, I would inevitably be drawn towards the Up which presumably fulfils your requirements.

The only thing I would suggest is having a look at a Suzuki Ignis. While it doesn’t look like the Soul, it does have a similar chunkiness about it, but in a package about the size of the Up.

Inspired call...the Ignis looks amazing. !!!

Kia Soul is VW up - daveyjp

You need to decide based on the type of journeys and what you need the car for. They are very different vehicles,

One is diesel, one is petrol.

One large enough for a family, one large enough for two and a week's shopping.

Diesel is better for very high mileages, petrol for short hops around town.

Agreed...i did leave a lot of info out. Car ro be big enough for me, 1 kid and 2 little dogs. Occasional trips from Scotland to down south and monthly trips to Carlisle from Glasgow.

In the main it will be zipping around from town to town.

For the longer journeys, the 60ps version of the Up might be hard work, especially going up Beattock(!). But certainly not impossible, especially if you are not a particularly fast driver. A number of years ago we had a 1.0 Daihatsu and I didn’t find it too much of a hardship going from North Aberdeenshire to the greater Manchester area!. But I’d still be inclined to seek out the higher powered 75ps version of the Up if possible.

There are a couple of other options though, seeing as you don’t really need a bigger car. As well as the aforementioned Suzuki Ignis (which only comes as a 90ps 1.2), you could also check out the 1.2 versions of the Kia Picanto and Hyundai i10.

Or slightly bigger than the above, the Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2, Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz.

Kia Soul is VW up - catsdad

All good option but if you want a good dog transporter check out the magic seats in the Jazz. You can flip up the rear seat bases like cinema seats and have a surprisingly large flat area for dogs (or their cages if you want to restrain them). It also allows small dogs to hop in over the side sill. All the while leaving the boot free.

And not to forget your child . They often have clobber that is too big/tall for the boot and again the magic seats offer flexible transport options for stuff too big or tall for the boot.

Thanks so much. Great food for though

The Suzuki Ignis comes with either a fixed rear bench with 3 seatbelts (very optimistic due to the narrowness of the cabin) on the basic model, or two individually sliding rear seats (they move about 6 inches) on the other two trim levels. But even with the seats slid right back, the boot size is quite acceptable for a car that small, so while not as flexible as the Jazz, should be more than sufficient for your needs.

Kia Soul is VW up - SLO76
I’d open up the search a bit to include the following...

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Brilliant little cars to drive, cheap to run, good to look at and very reliable as long as you stick with the Yamaha designed 1.25/1.4/1.6 petrol engines. Don’t let anyone talk you into the unreliable 1.0 Ecoboost or anything fitted with the fragile Powershift auto box.

Toyota Yaris 1.33 - Tough as old boots these, it’ll run and run and run. Not the best looking but it’ll be going long after everything else has been turned into baked bean cans.

Mazda 2 1.5 Skyactiv - Totally reliable and great to drive. Very efficient petrol engines are excellent on fuel too.

Suzuki Swift - Any petrol version, especially the 1.0 turbo. These are fun and reliable. Bit tight for space but larger than a VW UP.

Suzuki Swift -Bit tight for space

Not actually true SLO. I had a look in one right after a Fiesta, the Swift has more space, quite a lot more in the case of leg and foot space for rear passengers (+headroom front and rear). Smaller car in terms of exterior dimensions (20cm shorter), but much better utilisation of space. Fiesta's boot does have slightly more capacity though, at 292 vs 265 litres.

But great cars, and like all Suzuki's, they don't weigh much, so they are nippier than other similar sized cars with the same power. Not as refined either though, as some of that weight is lost through having less sound deadening material (which is heavy). But if our Ignis is anything to go by, really not too bad.