volkswagen golf tdi 2.0 140 2005 - Clutch pedal intermittently drops - BPL

Hi,

My clutch pedal very intermittently drops to near the floor. I can just about release the clutch to change gear when this happens. I have a Sachs single plate clutch for 7 years after the DMF gave out.. Usually the signs that this is going to happen are a partial drop of the pedal and when pressing the accelerator in gear while driving causes it to rise up a bit. Previous back street garage claimed to have sorted it about 3 times by replacing master cylinder, messing with linkage etc but I was never entirely convinced. Nothing untoward is visible under the steering column. Currently everything is working fine. I did wonder about engine mounts or braces being loose? I've put so many parts into this car (including a BlueFin remap to 190bhp) I am loathed to dump it but the thought of a new clutch which current garage is suggesting might be necessary might be the bail of straw that breaks the camels back.

Any of you experts out there know what this might be?

volkswagen golf tdi 2.0 140 2005 - Clutch pedal intermittently drops - Big John

I'd suggest it's the clutch salve cylinder, which I think on this model is a concentric version which is within the bell housing - unfortunately this is a gearbox off job if it is. The master cylinder replacement was worth doing before committing to a full blown gearbox off clutch and slave replacement. Check for brake/clutch fluid at the base of the bellhousing.

[EDIT] Second thoughts - re reading the full post is there an issue with the pedal box assembly?

Engine mounts should not affect clutch, gear selection yes, clutch pedal no

Edited by Big John on 26/09/2020 at 22:08

Update - clutch is now perfect. No idea why. Mr Google suggests sticking thrust bearing, broken or weak/broken clutch spring fingers, incorrectly fitted clutch- missing bolts? - this would explain the symptoms.. Pedal box looks Ok and has been checked in the past.I guess if the slave was gone I then it eventually lose all fluid and never return to service? Very frustrating.

Update - went wrong again same issue.

Fix was to pump the clutch 100s of times every time I used the car and so far it has been fine. I also avoid the known bad habit of resting my foot on the clutch. Here's hoping.