It is not all Rover yet! - Metropolis.
I’m so glad this was saved!

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.retromotor.co.uk/news/r.../
It is not all Rover yet! - gordonbennet

A design prone to serious rusting, pity, remarkable this one lasted so long, would be interesting to know how and where it was used and what anti corrosion measures, if any, the owner took.

I remember opening the driver's door on one of these, not an old one by any means, and had to catch the weight of the door or would have dropped to the floor, thought it was a broken hinge till i saw there was no A pillar for the hinges to attach to, rusted away.

It is not all Rover yet! - Bolt

A design prone to serious rusting, pity, remarkable this one lasted so long, would be interesting to know how and where it was used and what anti corrosion measures, if any, the owner took.

I remember opening the driver's door on one of these, not an old one by any means, and had to catch the weight of the door or would have dropped to the floor, thought it was a broken hinge till i saw there was no A pillar for the hinges to attach to, rusted away.

Never seen one like that, but did see a lot with front end rust and crossmembers almost collapsed where the rust had eaten most of the metal away..

I even had an F plate for several years without any rust, then one Sunday was going to polish it, but masses of rust bubbles in a line across the door sprang up overnight

I dont know anyone that put anti corrosion stuff on them, as once it took hold it shot through the car

It is not all Rover yet! - Terry W

The 10 top selling cars in 1987 included 4 from the same stable - Metro, Montego, Rover 200, Maestro. Plus 4 Fords and 2 Vauxhalls.

All quite predictable - and mostly noted for their ability to be reduced to scrap after around 10 years due to terminal corrosion or mechanical fragility.

Only one of the 10 (Fiesta) in XR2 form is remembered. with any real affection. Banger racing hasn't been the same since.

I admire owners like this, buying an average car and going above and beyond to look after it, clearly his pride and joy. Bet he was proper old school with oil changes, I would also like to know what anti corrosion method was used, I would think cavity wax for the doors and sills and probably one of those who used old engine oil to keep the underside happy every 6 months or so.
I admire owners like this, buying an average car and going above and beyond to look after it, clearly his pride and joy. Bet he was proper old school with oil changes, I would also like to know what anti corrosion method was used, I would think cavity wax for the doors and sills and probably one of those who used old engine oil to keep the underside happy every 6 months or so.

Some had the rust appear between the paint and metal so rustproofing on the inside of doors did not make any difference, same thing on chassis, I think this was just a lucky one that escaped the rust.

there were some that did, and the worst I had seen affected were red cars ie they rusted quicker than other colours?

Unless the paint didn’t seal, it would normally be from water traps and condensation on the inside of the panels I thought? Ironic, the final years of the 200/25 were some of the most rust resistant cars if the era.

If you rubbed the paint back the rust looked like branches on a tree, i remember another car rusted like that but cant remember which car it was...?

Add to that, it was not even the Honda engine but the old BMC/BL lump!
It is not all Rover yet! - SLO76
I had a waiting list for the Honda engined 213’s back in the 90’s. These were excellent used buys, being comfy, utterly reliable, smooth and decent on fuel. It was a far better car than an Orion or a Belmont but they did sadly suffer from rot, particularly on the front doors. Post facelift cars were much nicer but they never sorted the rust issues. The Montego engined 216’s were lists but rough by comparison and much harder work to sell. I did like the rare 216 EFi Vanden Plas with all the leather and wood inside.
It is not all Rover yet! - Avant

Oddly, when the next model came along - the 214 / 216 from about 1990 on - the smaller engine was BL's own and the 1.6 was Honda's.

I drove a 220i a few times from that series: I can't rember the source of that engine but the 2-litre motor powering a smallish body meant that it went like a bomb. And the handling was good enough to cope with the extra power. Lovely car.

Oddly, when the next model came along - the 214 / 216 from about 1990 on - the smaller engine was BL's own and the 1.6 was Honda's.

I drove a 220i a few times from that series: I can't rember the source of that engine but the 2-litre motor powering a smallish body meant that it went like a bomb. And the handling was good enough to cope with the extra power. Lovely car.

Oddly, some thought the 1.6 Honda unit was only fitted to the Auto, but it was fitted to the manual as I bought a tourer, which drove well with plenty of room in the back, until it got rear ended/ written off...

then I found the tourer 2.0 as you say went like a bomb but juicy but still some around in VGC

“ Oddly, some thought the 1.6 Honda unit was only fitted to the Auto”

That was the later models post BMW takeover. The link with Honda was broken and they hugely increased the price of any engines and transmissions supplied so the new only cars from late 94 that had a Honda motor were the autos. The K series was hurriedly upsized beyond its original maximum of 1400cc to replace these and the larger versions rapidly became notorious for head gasket failure especially the 1800.

That was the later models post BMW takeover.

I thought that was the one Avant was talking about, mine was a 1996 P reg Tourer 1.6 Honda manual- rare car, and I have to admit if it had not been written off I would still have it

there are some still about but the prices were far beyond what I would consider reasonable, so didn't replace it.

That was the later models post BMW takeover.

I thought that was the one Avant was talking about, mine was a 1996 P reg Tourer 1.6 Honda manual- rare car, and I have to admit if it had not been written off I would still have it

there are some still about but the prices were far beyond what I would consider reasonable, so didn't replace it.

Late model R8’s used the 1600 K series but there is overlap where some had the Honda motor and some the K series. I believe all autos used the Honda motor. I have a friend with a 1996 216 Convertible he believed had a Honda motor but once the bonnet was popped there nestled a K series with soon to be brewing head gasket failure.

That was the Rover T Series engine, the non-turbo version even found its way into the Mk1 Land Rover Discovery, slightly underpowered apparently although I have not driven one myself. If it was deemed good enough for the Discovery, no wonder it did so well in the 200! en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_T-series_engine

Edited by Metropolis. on 24/09/2020 at 16:42

It is not all Rover yet! - elekie&a/c doctor
People always knock BL , but their engines, notably the M , T and K series were clever designs and advanced at the time . Other manufacturers have since copied and improved the construction.
They made good diesels too. Shame the K Series was so bad for HGF
It is not all Rover yet! - _

I had a Rover 45 diesel for a couple of years. Very good.

The K series were not all bad. The 1.4 rarely failed, It was the stresses of the bigger bore engines and the oil rail being too skinny.

From ARonline

www.aronline.co.uk/engines/k-series-engine/

SAIC fixed the 1.8 good and proper using the Riccardo modifications and some of their own,

Shame emissions were too high ..

In fact, I remeber that often Non-franchised repairers were re-using the old through bolts, Doh!!!

And personally, I had quite a few k series over 20 odd years, not 1 single failure!

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/09/2020 at 18:03

The L series diesels were really tough things. The 104bhp high output version was both economical and powerful in the 200/400 and even hauled the 600 along well enough. It was an updated version of the old Perkins diesel in the Maestro/Montego. Never had any trouble with any of them.
It is not all Rover yet! - RT
People always knock BL , but their engines, notably the M , T and K series were clever designs and advanced at the time . Other manufacturers have since copied and improved the construction.

Not as advanced as you think - the T series engine was a development of the M series, which was in turn a development of the O series, which dated back to the BMC B-series

It is not all Rover yet! - _

Not as advanced as you think - the T series engine was a development of the M series, which was in turn a development of the O series, which dated back to the BMC B-series

I agree BUT, evolution is generally better than revolution. There are probably far too few of us left on here who could pull out an A series from a Moggie or A35 without a hoist..

Like all the A nd B series engines (as well as some othet makers) they were a delight to work on. I remember in switzerland in the 70's VW apprentices were invited to dis-assemble and re-assemble the VW 4 pot air cooled engine as in the Bug.. BLINDFOLD,

The only so and so of a job I absolutely hated was taking a gearbox off a mini and using the clutch extractor tool. How many of those broke, (the tool not the clutch)

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/09/2020 at 18:46

Now for sale according to Practical Classics, quote: DH: Here is is then.... the mega mileage Rover 200 saved from scrapple and now for sale to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy charity. John Batchelor from the Rover 200/400 Club said: 'The collection went well and the car drove the 60 miles home surprisingly well. It drives better than it looks with rather a lot of poor paint repairs, which reflect it's long life, but it is solid. Due to the limited amount of work we think we can do, in fact 'should do' to the car, it is now up for sale at: www.rover200.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13...8 by sealed bid auction.' 'It has had a clean and will be at the BL Rally at the Milton Keynes Museum tomorrow but as the big shows have gone (CMS), or are likely to be postponed, we thought it better to find a new owner now.' The car will be sold via a sealed bid auction ending at 8pm on Sunday October 11th, with all profits going to Muscular Dystrophy UK.

It is not all Rover yet! - John F
People always knock BL , but their engines, notably the M , T and K series were clever designs and advanced at the time .

One of the cleverest was the Triumph Slant 4 with sixteen valves and a single camshaft for the Dolomite Sprint. It was married to a four speed manual gearbox with overdrive on 3rd and 4th gear which could be seamlessly engaged during full throttle by a tiny switch on top of the gear lever knob - useful for 'A' road overtaking.

It is not all Rover yet! - badbusdriver
People always knock BL , but their engines, notably the M , T and K series were clever designs and advanced at the time .

One of the cleverest was the Triumph Slant 4 with sixteen valves and a single camshaft for the Dolomite Sprint. It was married to a four speed manual gearbox with overdrive on 3rd and 4th gear which could be seamlessly engaged during full throttle by a tiny switch on top of the gear lever knob - useful for 'A' road overtaking.

And of course it was the Triumph slant 4 which provided the basis of the engine which went on to have a very long life under the bonnets of various Saab‘s!.

It is not all Rover yet! - RT

And of course it was the Triumph slant 4 which provided the basis of the engine which went on to have a very long life under the bonnets of various Saab‘s!.

Triumph designed/built the engine initially for Saab and used it for their own cars - Saab took production away from Triumph, redesigned the engine and built their own because of quality issues - Triumph never really overcame those issues - the 16v Sprint engine was notorious for needing constant attention, particularly to valve clearances which were time consuming due to the design.

The Saab version lasted into their ownership by GM but eventually dropped as it couldn't be modified to meet Euro 5 emission regulations.

Left out of the BL trap and given half a chance Triumph could have been Britain’s BMW but sadly they failed thanks to lack of funding and a confused top heavy BL really not knowing what to do with the firm. The slant 4 was basically a very good design but it was greatly improved by Saab after they bought the rights to it and then went on to used it well into the 90’s.
It is not all Rover yet! - Avant

Yes, so sad - most people I knew who had Triumphs loved them. Same goes for Rileys. If anything perhaps Riley could have been Britain's BMW and Triumph Britain's Audi: Rover's equivalent maybe Mercedes.

Just a thought - if we were 50 years older and in the same situation in 1970 as we are now, I suppose we might have two Triumphs instead of two Audis - say, a 2000 estate and a Herald or Vitesse convertible - and feel splendidly patriotic about it.

It is not all Rover yet! - Trilogy.

Yes, so sad - most people I knew who had Triumphs loved them. Same goes for Rileys. If anything perhaps Riley could have been Britain's BMW and Triumph Britain's Audi: Rover's equivalent maybe Mercedes.

Just a thought - if we were 50 years older and in the same situation in 1970 as we are now, I suppose we might have two Triumphs instead of two Audis - say, a 2000 estate and a Herald or Vitesse convertible - and feel splendidly patriotic about it.

I never understood why they jettisoned the Triumph marque instead of Rover. Perhaps Triumph was too close to MG in spirit?

It is not all Rover yet! - Zippy123

They could have all been great cars and great marques still going strong to day if it were not for the lack of investment, poor management and union strife and better quality control.

They even kept the A series engine for the Metro, a design from the 50's in a car introduced in the late '80s!

They could have all been great cars and great marques still going strong to day if it were not for the lack of investment, poor management and union strife and better quality control.

They even kept the A series engine for the Metro, a design from the 50's in a car introduced in the late '80s!

And wasted money developing cars only not to launch because of internal politics. Also wasted money developing an engine that wasn't needed. There were some appalling design decisions along the way too.

You could get overdrive to work in 1st and second as well to make it a bit quicker, it worked a treat as well, one of the fastest cars around at the time, some were easily written off

It is not all Rover yet! - John F

You could get overdrive to work in 1st and second as well to make it a bit quicker, it worked a treat as well, one of the fastest cars around at the time, some were easily written off

You could, but I doubt if it would have lasted long. It was indeed quick and the top speed would have been higher had it not had the aerodynamics of a brick. In those days of quiet camera-free motorways it would happily cruise at 90mph. Our current sporty little Peugeot 2008 reminds me of it - much the same power to weight ratio, but hopefully better rust protection.

You could, but I doubt if it would have lasted long. It was indeed quick and the top speed would have been higher had it not had the aerodynamics of a brick. In those days of quiet camera-free motorways it would happily cruise at 90mph. Our current sporty little Peugeot 2008 reminds me of it - much the same power to weight ratio, but hopefully better rust protection.

They did as I made them work that way, very simple to do and had 90 in 3rd gear on A21 didnt check at time what it did in 1st and 2nd but car lasted 2 years before rust took over

The best description I've heard of BL/ARG is it was a dysfunctional family with some talented children. Unfortunately some children had little talent.