Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - nick62

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-shropshire-541034...7

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - Trilogy.

I do, bought and still have, the Autocar magazine that had it on the front cover.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - badbusdriver

I do, bought and still have, the Autocar magazine that had it on the front cover.

Oh yeah, me too!.

Mad, mad looking thing which could only have come from the pen of William Towns!.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - Avant

It looked to me reminiscent of the Aston Martin Lagonda designed by William Towns. I Googled it and found that the Bulldog too was a Towns creation.

I believe the Lagonda sold steadily although I've never seen one on the road: I wonder how many are still extant. It had quite a lot of parts-binnery, and I'm sure I read at the time that the stalks on the steering wheel were from the Vauxhall Chevette.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - bathtub tom

I believe the Lagonda sold steadily although I've never seen one on the road: I wonder how many are still extant.

There's Roger Dudding at Studio 434 in Potters Bar got twenty-odd of them. He invented those ticket machines for queuing at supermarket counters. He's an enormous warehouse of 350 vehicles.

www.studio434.co.uk/

Very much an origami design.

Towns certainly went through a phase of predominantly straight edges.

Anyone remember the Hustler?, this was a (William Towns designed) mini based kit car available as a 4 or 6(!) wheeler. Not a curve in sight!.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - _

www.retrotogo.com/2017/12/1970s-hustler-6-car-on-e...l

et Voila!

and

www.bonhams.com/auctions/15487/lot/173/

Edited by _ORB_ on 21/09/2020 at 20:17

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - John F

It looks as though Towns was heavily influenced by his contemporary Harris Mann's design of 'the shape of things to come' Triumph TR7. And with a poor Cd of 0.34 (the bulky Audi 100 managed 0.30) it came......and went. A forty year old Auto Union streamliner would have swept past it. I can't see why it needs so much spending on 'restoration' as unlike my 40 year old unrestored fully functional TR7 it has apparently spent most of its life in pampered immobility. Aptly named - its canine namesake is poorly designed, requires much maintenance and likely to die early.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - mss1tw

And it looks like its namesake licking 'something' off of a nettle

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - edlithgow

Seen something similar in style to the Hustler, IIRC (4-wheeled) in Turkey.

Think that was a local production car, and may not have any connection, just a 70's vibe thing, like the Bond Bug

(Quite hard to patent a box anyway, as I believe Landrover recently discovered).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Otosan_B%C3%B6cek_in_the_Rahmi_M._Ko%C3%A7_Museum.JPG

Rare but a few still on the streets, I suppose due to simplicity and rust resistance of the body panels

They've got one in the Rahmni M Koc Transport Museum on The Golden Horn, well worth a visit if you find yourself in Istanbul.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - craig-pd130

Period 1980 road test of the AM Lagonda here:

www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/sets/721576.../

The styling and the launch of the Bentley Mulsanne Turbo killed the AML: the AML simply couldn't hold a candle to the Bentley in terms of performance.

Great finds ORB!.

I would have posted a picture myself but my main computer is currently out of commission and I don’t know how to post links with my phone the old ipad of my wife’s that I’m using!.

Ed, look up a couple of others William Towns designs, the Minissima and Microdot. Your Turkish car has clearly taken (ahem) inspiration from those two!.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - Galaxy

I'd never actually heard of the Aston Martin Bulldog but the car was featured on BBC Breakfast TV yesterday morning.

Here's a link to the company that's now doing the restoration with many photos and a great deal of information about the vehicle:

www.classic-motor-cars.co.uk/aston-martin-1980-bul...1

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - Sofa Spud

When I first saw images of the Tesla Cybertruck I immediately thought of the Aston Martin Bulldog.

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - edlithgow

When I first saw images of the Tesla Cybertruck I immediately thought of the Aston Martin Bulldog.

Apparently that'design is mostly dictated by the material. Stainless steel is very difficult / practically impossible to form into complex compound curves so "origami" brake press folding is the way to go.

Annoys me that its being referred to as an "exoskeleton" though.

While it IS technically an exoskeleton, so is any monocoque car (i.e. pretty much all of them apart from a few trucks) and the term already has an established usage (an external additional protective and load bearing frame) in the truck/off-road scene

Aston Martin Bulldog - Anyone remember this? - Sofa Spud

DeLorean cars had pressed stainless steel body panels which had some complex curves, although the car didn't exactly have curvaceous styling!