Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - tbg

I'm looking at a picasso with the eat gearbox and as I've never had an auto was wondering is there a certain way to drive it to get the best out of the box.

Can I sit in slow \ stop start traffic in drive .

Can I creep in it. Etc etc etc

Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - SLO76
Later examples are better but they never really perfected it. They’re jerky and awkward at low speeds. I’d go for a later torque converter auto or buy something else instead. Much depends on budget and space requirements though. A good 1800 Honda Civic or Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv auto would be a better bet.
Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - gordonbennet

If its the single plate automated manual its a horrid thing for low speed control and i'd not be wanting one unless so cheap it could be scrapped when it gives trouble.

Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - mcb100
The EAT is the latest torque converter box in PSA products, in 6 and 8 speed variants. I’d suspect it’s too new to have any known issues yet. I have driven an EAT8, and my best advice is put it in Drive and leave it there. It’s smooth, is usually in the correct gear, and does what it says on the tin.

Edited by mcb100 on 19/09/2020 at 22:55

Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - TJ22
I’ve got the EAT6 in a Peugeot 308 - it is a torque converter gearbox and has given me 160K miles of trouble free motoring in 4 years. It is a fantastic gearbox - does everything you ask of it - creep is no problem and stop start driving is a doddle. Very responsive from all speeds - I can’t recommend this auto box enough.
Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - Terry W

Got an EAT 8 speed in a 308. Still low miles (25k) but excellent to drive. Very ocassionally may use paddles to change down - usually before an uphill bend to be in the right gear to go round it. In traffic will creep - if going uphill will often just hold position at idle.

Slight annoyance is stop start system which I don't much like but this can be disabled at the start of each journey.

Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - Avant

The thread title made me think we were going to hear about a Picasso that had just lunched its gearbox.

If the latest versions are more reliable, especially those that are torque-converter, that's good news for people who often come on here seeking advice about a small automatic.

Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - John F

Do not confuse the EAT6 gearbox (Efficient Auto Transmission) with Peugeot's earlier problematic EGC box. The EAT6, now superseded by the EAT8, is a reliable TC gearbox based on the extremely successful ZF 6HP series. It is made by Aisin. It is a joy to use (we have one in our 2008) and should cause no problems. It copies the ZF's 'tiptronic' function enabling manual use if you wish......but mostly you won't. It has been around for many years now and, like its ZF antecedent, has garnered a reputation for reliability. It most certainly is not jerky and awkward to use at any speed.

Edited by John F on 20/09/2020 at 09:32

Citroen C4 Picasso - Eat gearbox - tbg

thanks for the help.

it all sounds similar to what I was thinking and hoping. But just to clarify and i hope it says something in the car book about how to drive it BUT as I understand it different autos like to be driven in a certain way and that one way on one auto is maybe not so good in another and as has been said above just leave it in drive, which sounds good to me , so literally leave in drive in stop start, crawling, slow up hill etc

Edited by Avant on 20/09/2020 at 16:13