VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Tom2020

Hello all, looking for some help please

I recently brought a used 2014 Mk 7, VW Golf SE and it's been a great car until some slightly colder weather and mornings arrived I am having problems with the windscreen badly fogging up.

A few mornings where its been roughly 8 degrees or less I get this patchy fog covering the entire windscreen which cannot be cleared by the wipers and is not on the inside of the glass either. The only way to clear it is to put the blowers on it with A/C on but even then it takes roughly 5 minutes to clear and it's not even cold yet.

And this morning I hit some fog whilst driving and the "patchy fog" reappeared on the screen for 5-10 seconds which was quite disconcerting when driving around 60mph. I assume that the fog must have lowered the windcreen temp instantly and caused this stuff to reappear.

I have tried cleaning it with autoglym fast glass inside and out. I also tried using Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) using a clay bar and also just old fashioned warm water with a splash of washing up liquid. None of them have made any difference whatsover.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Edited by Tom2020 on 14/09/2020 at 19:07

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - ifekas

A month or two ago I made the mistake of putting on Rain X antifog on the inside of my windscreen. It was stupid because I never really had a problem with the screen fogging up, but it was a deal on hotuk, and the external RainX coating works fine. In any event, when I got in the car in the morning I had the problem of it fogging up. Not only that but in bright sunlight you could see marks on the screen which were distracting.

I just wanted to get rid of the coating, and like you I tried isopropyl alcohol etc to no avail. What seemed to work for me was wiping the screen pressing quite hard with a dry microfibre cloth.

I put in a review on amazon to warn others, and others have to, but some people seem to like it as it still has four stars! You say your fogging was not on the inside of the glass, but are you sure as mine was.Could it be that the previous owner had applied a similar product.

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Tom2020

Thanks for replying.

I am fairly sure the fogging is not on the inside, I will wipe the inside of the windscreen in the morning and it doesnt do anything to clear it. I do however see the marks on the screen (faintly) when the sun is shining on it. I suppose its very possible the previous owner applied something like that to it.

I will try giving it a good wipe with with a dry microfibre cloth to see if that does anything!

Cheers

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - bathtub tom

Have you got the air con distribution set to demist. Could be the cold air chilling the windscreen, causing condensation to form on the outside.

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Energyman
Is the air con set on recirculate? Will potentially cause fogging, or a dodgy pollen filter wont help
VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - daveyjp

Quite normal at this time of year. Cooler mornings, cold glass, body heat and warm breath causes condensation on the inside of the screen. If you don't have a heated screen you need aircon on, screen demist and wait until it clears.

If it gets very bad turn the heat temp to cold and turn the heating system off. This keeps the heater matrix water in the engine block and it warms up quicker.

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Galad

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with an Astra c13 years ago. In heavy rain or prolonged damp conditions the windscreen would very suddenly fog up at speed (making it almost impossible to see the road ahead) even with the a/c on full. Very dangerous on the motorway so all windows quickly lowered.

Dealer couldn't resolve the issue but found an indy who diagnosed a blocked plenum chamber (wet leaves had accumulated in the chamber in and around the wiper motors) and a wet pollen filter - I was using a high pressure hose to wash the car weekly including blasting the wheel arches to get rid of mud and crud. Filter never got a chance to dry out. £15 for a new pollen filter. Job done!

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Richard Bent

Seems like you might have had a bad windscreen instalment. I had a similar problem with my car, (second-hand, possibly previous owner messed with it) and so I just bit the bullet and got it replaced mate. Used UK Car Glass guys and it was done pretty easily and for a fair price.

The driving difference is like night and day brother.

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Danial Noori

I'd agree that ukcarglass is a good option.

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Bromptonaut

In the circumstances the OP mentions it's almost certain that the fogging is on the inner surface. I've seen condensation on the outside during high humidity with aircon on demist chills the screen but then the wipers sort it.

Getting the interior clean is half the battle and as above the use of an anti-fog product may have left a persistent deposit to which moisture attaches. The suggestion that water is gathering in a plenum chamber or finding its way onto the cabin air filter is another possibility worth exploring.

When this is an issue immediately on setting out from home then warm water poured onto the outside of the screen can help. It will raise the inner surface temperature above the point where condensation forms for long enough to get the heater doing its job.

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - grumpyscot

I have the same problem on my Pug 308. Cured to some extent by keeping a sock filled with cat litter on the dash. It does mean, though, that the stuff blows everywhere!!!

VW Golf SE - VW Golf MK 7 windscreen fog/haze problem - Andrew-T

I have the same problem on my Pug 308. Cured to some extent by keeping a sock filled with cat litter on the dash. It does mean, though, that the stuff blows everywhere!!!

Like me, you could invest in a small microwaveable dehumidifier. Better than cat litter - no dust, reusable, and probably more effective.