BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - DKMDA
Hi I bought my first car around feb 2019, it’s a LCI F20 118i with the N13 engine the cars been great only really had one problem with it which was the hose for the turbo coming loose which brought up a drivetrain error. But I’ve noticed over the past year the cars using a lot of oil between service intervals about 1 litre every 1500-2000 miles and I’ve seen online that high oil usage is a symptom of the timing chain about to go I really like the car but I don’t know if I should try to sell it before it does go or bring it to BMW to have a look at as I’ve bought the extended insured warranty from them and the car was also bought from a BMW dealer. I told my local dealer about the high oil usage and he said it’s normal but I’m not so sure as the car sounds like a diesel from a cold start.
BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - gordonbennet

Has this communication, your report of high oil consumption plus Diesel like clatter, and their dismissal as all is normal, been in writing?

If it hasn't then suggest you make it so, ensuring their response is also in writing, and undeniable, preferably someone in a senior position, ie service manager or higher.

That way the problems have started within warranty, which should help your case if things get worse down the line.

If there's a BMW UK head office where customers with issues can contact, it might be prudent to forward said communications to them, once again all in writing, belt and braces.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/09/2020 at 06:12

No it’s not in writing I mentioned it when the car went in for an inspection and one of the men from the service department came to me and said that it was normal. But my friend has a similar car with the exact same engine and third was bought 2 months before I got mine and they’ve never had to top up any oil.
BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - craig-pd130

Exactly when was the car registered? If it is still under the original 3-year warranty that it had from new, then definitely book it in to the dealer for inspection, and as GordonBennet mentioned, if they find nothing wrong, insist on a report IN WRITING from the dealer service manager that they investigated suspected timing chain problems at your request.

Even if the car is now outside the original 3-year warranty, the fact that you bought it from a BMW dealer (was it a BMW Approved Used car?) and have the BMW extended warranty should allow you to do the above.

(Providing you keep the oil level topped up, I wouldn't worry too much about the oil consumption. Providing the consumption does not suddenly get worse, and you keep the level topped up, it should be fine. Tesco is currently selling oil that meets BMW's LL-04 standard very cheap)

It was registered May 2015 was bought from BMW as used approved and came with their one year warranty and when that ended I immediately bought their insured warranty, and before I bought the car I did ask if the timing chain were to fail would the warranty cover the cost and they told me yes but I’ve seen on other forums that BMW don’t actually stick to want they say in terms of replacing the timing chain.
BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - Manatee

This doesn't add up. What are the service intervals in miles? At 1500 miles per litre it would use all the oil in the sump in less than 7,000 miles. Or are you topping up in between? In which case why say "between service intervals"?

It's probably within spec, an aunt was once told her BL Mini was within spec at 600 miles per pint, but can it be normal?

The car says every 10,000 miles or 2 years. And I’ve had the car for about 18months recently services it at Kwikfit in July and had to top up the oil about 2/3 weeks ago. But before the service I had topped the oil up about 5 times since it was purchased I would say.
BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - madf

Basic Facts please

Age of car

Date bought

Mileage when bought. Mileage now.

Has it been serviced ? Regularly ? With a BMW dealer?

Without knowing the above, we can only guess.

Edited by madf on 12/09/2020 at 13:05

The car is just over 5 years old, bought it in feb 2019 with about 42500 miles on the clock and as of today I’ve just hit 57100 miles. Before I bought the car it had undergone a full service the month before and the car said it needed a service in July which I did with Kwik fit as they assured me they do it to the manufacturers specs and since then I’ve had to top the only up about 2/3 weeks ago with the odometer saying I had done about 1600 miles.
BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - John F
But I’ve noticed over the past year the cars using a lot of oil between service intervals about 1 litre every 1500-2000 miles and I’ve seen online that high oil usage is a symptom of the timing chain about to go

Nonsense, unless the engine has done a huge mileage with dirty oil and the timing chain has worn almost to the point of failure. How many miles has it done? That sort of oil consumption is unacceptable in a modern small engine unless it has done well over 100,000 miles. Our old 1.6 Focus is still doing around 3000 miles per litre at nearly 150,000 miles. I suspect poor manufacturing quality (I believe these engines are made in Birmingham). It probably needs a rebore with pistons and rings that fit properly. Or you can just keep pouring oil into it till it breaks.

Edited by John F on 12/09/2020 at 16:22

BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - Brit_in_Germany

Are you blaming the Hams Hall workforce or the production line at Douvrin?

BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - John F

Are you blaming the Hams Hall workforce or the production line at Douvrin?

I don't know. Are the pistons, their rings and the blocks machined to fit it each other in the same place? It all depends upon the accuracy of the calibration of the machines which, for all I know, might be made in Korea. Or it might just be that the engine was not run in properly. I still don't buy the idea that you can thrash engines from day one.

I still don't buy the idea that you can thrash engines from day one.

I know we have our differences on servicing requirements, but agree completely with that, also it makes me cringe when i hear engines started from stone cold seconds earlier being thrashed mercilessly.

I bought it at 42500 miles and have now done just over 57000 miles and since I’ve bought it I’ve added a litre of oil about 5 times. Bought feb 2019.
BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - DavidGlos
Given that you’ve had the car serviced by Kwik Fit, I can’t see BMW or their dealers entertaining any remedial works that might be required.
Given that you’ve had the car serviced by Kwik Fit, I can’t see BMW or their dealers entertaining any remedial works that might be required.

Indeed, muddied the waters somewhat.

Always best to keep servicing in house whilst a vehicle is under warranty.

BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - pd

Doesn't sound like timing chain - that shouldn't be relevant to oil usage.

The N13 is, I think, the Peugeot/BMW engine as fitted in Minis, 308 etc.

It is not unknown for excessive oil consumption issues (it's not unknown for timing chain issues either) but, at the moment, the levels you are talking about don't seem too bad. I suspect BMW would just say they are in tolerance.

You don't say what year the car is but for the moment if you don't get anywhere with BMW I'd just monitor it and only really worry if usage accelerates. Some cars/engines just do use some oil (even some Toyotas are prone!),

Edited by pd on 13/09/2020 at 09:53

BMW F20 118i Face lift with N13 engine. - Timing chain - pd

Sorry, just seem it's a 2015.