Honda CR-V Hybrid - Disconcerting drive - Theophilus

I've passed my Toyota Verso on to son-in-law (his 17yr old Skoda Octavia estate no longer economical to keep running) and this evening taken delivery of a CR-V Hybrid.

It's my first experience (in more than 50 yr driving) of a hybrid - or for that matter an automatic - and I think there may be rather a learning curve!

Firstly the silence - having had a series of turbo-diesel Saabs then Versos over the past 25 years, I found it disconcerting not to be able to hear whether the engine is running.

Then of course there's getting used to keeping my left foot (pace HJ) tucked away from the pedals and allowing the CVT box to do its stuff (haven't been aware of any "elastic band effect"), and finally (for now, until I discover other foibles), the lack of a handbrake.

The seats are very comfortable and supportive and I think that its going to be a very relaxed cruiser - though the benefits of the hybrid technology will probably be more evident around town than in motorway driving.

Honda CR-V Hybrid - Disconcerting drive - mcb100
It’s a clever piece of kit that will make your head hurt when you when you try and understand what’s going on at any time with the hybrid system.
It doesn’t actually have a gearbox - the engine is either running to provide electrical power to drive the car via its electric motors, or, on a cruise, it’s a direct drive from engine to front wheels.
Honda CR-V Hybrid - Disconcerting drive - Manatee

I detest that "what's it doing now?" thing. That's why I have no Apple devices.

I know it's a losing battle.

Honda CR-V Hybrid - Disconcerting drive - SLO76
Had one of these on the list for when demands for a new posh mobile SUV become unbearable from swmbo but they’re simply too expensive. For the price of a new one on PCP or lease (heaven forbid) I can pretty much have a Volvo XC60 which is a much nicer thing in my opinion. I’ll trust the Honda longterm over the Volvo but I think Honda need to accept their place in the market or they’ll price themselves out of the door. The £20,000 Jazz auto sat in the local showroom horrified me.

Personally I’d stick with my decade old (yes dear it’s only temporary) Toyota Avensis Estate and her wee 8yr old Polo but she’s starting to get annoyed (More than normal) and I’m almost scared enough to open that moth filled Scottish wallet of mine.
Honda CR-V Hybrid - Disconcerting drive - Avant

Sounds as if there's a nice low-mileage 2016 Mini Countryman going begging with Mrs SLO's name on it.....