If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - sanjay852

Hi guys

I have a Hyundai i10 and it is a bit small. In the next year or so I wish to upgrade to something bigger (we're a family of 3) and I'm thinking a 2nd hand lexus.

But when I look on Honest John's website, the real mpg for lexus cars is always "bad"? Is Lexus a bad choice if fuel consumption is a concern?

The UK does not have cheap fuel prices. Also, I live in the Yorkshire Pennines, so it is very hilly here. My current i10 struggles up hills, it goes up them fine, but you can hear it struggling.

Is there a Lexus that can give anything close to 60 mpg?

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - Falkirk Bairn

My D-i-L's Lexus CT used to return 50- 55.mpg according to the on-board computer.

Bought with 20K on the clock - sold at 84K - No repairs in 5+ years - just servicing, tyres, brakes, wipers and the odd bulb.

Bought for £13K in 2014 and sold for £7,500 in February 2020.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - John F

Bought with 20K on the clock - sold at 84K

Bought for £13K in 2014 and sold for £7,500 in February 2020.

That's 8.6 pence per mile (ppm) depreciation, not bad. If you care about mpg you are probably a high mileage driver. For a low mileage driver, the difference of a few ppm fuel consumption is irrelevant compared to what can be the huge difference of many ppm depreciation cost depending upon make and age of car.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - London calling

I have a NX300h and with mixed driving (motorway and town) it returns around 45mpg, It also returned this when I was driving around the Pyrenees for a moth last year

Not your 60mpg you’re after but not bad for size of vehicle.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - Avant

A Toyota RAV-4 will do the job that the smaller Lexus SUVs do, just as reliably and for less money. Have that on your shortlist as well.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - mcb100

Depends entirely on the types of journey. A hybrid, around town, will give diesel type fuel economy with no worries about DPF's or potential diesel charges being imposed in the future in cities.

Motorway journeys are a different issue, with petrol engine running more often. Which variety of Lexus are you thinking of?

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - London calling

It’s worth noting the Toyota and Lexus use Atkinson Cycle engines in their hybrid cars so supposedly more economical when running on engine power..

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - Engineer Andy

It’s worth noting the Toyota and Lexus use Atkinson Cycle engines in their hybrid cars so supposedly more economical when running on engine power..

Yes they are, but it is offset to soem degree by the extra weight of the batteries and EV charging system and motor.

I was lead to believe that non plug-in hybrids will get much nearer their rated mpg in urban driving than out of town on the motorway, because there is more chance of claiming energy through regenerative braking, plus the aerondynamic drag is far lower than at high speed.

Hi guys

I have a Hyundai i10 and it is a bit small. In the next year or so I wish to upgrade to something bigger (we're a family of 3) and I'm thinking a 2nd hand lexus.

But when I look on Honest John's website, the real mpg for lexus cars is always "bad"? Is Lexus a bad choice if fuel consumption is a concern?

The UK does not have cheap fuel prices. Also, I live in the Yorkshire Pennines, so it is very hilly here. My current i10 struggles up hills, it goes up them fine, but you can hear it struggling.

Is there a Lexus that can give anything close to 60 mpg?

If you do mostly rural driving, don't bother with a hybrid. Better to get a basic petrol-engined car for mileages under 20k per year and diesels for more than that. If you need to go off road proper, a diesel coupled with 4WD can be better, but often they aren't needed

It's far cheaper to get an ordinary front-wheel drive car on 55 profil+ tyres, and either run all-season tyres (the further North you go, the more winter-biased they need to be) or, if you have the space to store the other set, summer and winter tyres, as they often better than having an expensive 4WD car shod on low profile summer tyres all year round.

MPG should be looked at in the round with all other likely costs of running a car (insurance, reliability, parts longevity and cost, rust resistance, servicing), including depreciation.

Many older, highly reliable and long-lived Japanese cars like Lexuses practially stop depreciating (especially the non-hybrid ones) as they near 10 years old. It's one of the reasons why far more older cars on the road are from the Toyota/Lexus and Honda stables - they just keep going and going with minimal intervention.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - nellyjak

MPG should be looked at in the round with all other likely costs of running a car (insurance, reliability, parts longevity and cost, rust resistance, servicing), including depreciation.

Many older, highly reliable and long-lived Japanese cars like Lexuses practially stop depreciating (especially the non-hybrid ones) as they near 10 years old. It's one of the reasons why far more older cars on the road are from the Toyota/Lexus and Honda stables - they just keep going and going with minimal intervention.

So true...no point in having good mpg if the reliability and maintenance/repair costs are pants.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - pd

A lot of the higher spec German cars end up disappearing from UK roads as they go to Eastern Europe. Used cars are so cheap in the UK it is worth doing even if perfectly decent cars get broken for parts.

Mercedes, Audis, Volvo's etc all end up that way.

Even most of the Saabs ended up going out to Poland or the Baltic States, broken for spares and the spares sold back to Sweden.

Doesn't happen with Japanese stuff as much as for some reasons they don't like them as much.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - madf

Older Lexuses are starting to suffer from underbody rust.

Buyer beware.

And some parts - brake master cylinders are Very expensive.. or so I read..

I did my research before I bough the Jazz I run... decided I could not afford to run a Lexus..

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - Terry W

For an annual mileage of (say) 12000 - at 50mpg = 240 gals, at 40mpg = 300 gals. At £6 per gallon the extra cost would be £360 pa.

This is the sort of money that would be quickly consumed in additional repairs for a less reliable car, or a smaller one which is likely to be more stressed. More so as the car ages!

Lexus get the Which top place for reliability - Toyota are probably up there with them.

If you care about MPG, are lexus cars a bad choice - gordonbennet
And some parts - brake master cylinders are Very expensive.. or so I read..

Not just Lexus, that gold plated gucci brake master cyl you speak of is fitted to Landcruisers from around the year 2003 on my model and from 2000 on some others, thankfully in most cases so long as the main dealer is avoided...wise for any make...its usually the electric high pressure pump which fails which can be rebuilt at a couple of places for a couple of hundred.

There is or was an Auris hybrid estate ex taxi for sale, starship miles, one of the faults declared being the master cylinder, so i assume a similar issue, cheap enough if you know where to go.

Its going to get increasingly difficult to find simple enough vehicles to maintain as time goes by for those of us into long term vehicles.

A lot of the higher spec German cars end up disappearing from UK roads as they go to Eastern Europe. Used cars are so cheap in the UK it is worth doing even if perfectly decent cars get broken for parts.

Mercedes, Audis, Volvo's etc all end up that way.

Even most of the Saabs ended up going out to Poland or the Baltic States, broken for spares and the spares sold back to Sweden.

Doesn't happen with Japanese stuff as much as for some reasons they don't like them as much.

Probably more to do with parts availability, given VAG, BMW and Mercedes parts factories are not far away, and I suspect pattern parts do a good trade in Eastern Europe.

A lot of former colleagues from that part of the world tended to buy earlier diesel models - presumably less issues with DPFs, etc. Not sure they can count on that engine reliability/longevity any more with the more modern ones.