Any - Turbo or not - chesterfieldhouse

Hello,

just a hypothetical (at this time) post really.........apart from a Toyota MR2 & a BMW Z4, which were second fun cars, over the past 25 years or so l've driven turbo diesels & still do. l like the way they drive, the torque, the economy etc. However, the next vehicle, as mileage is now down to 5 - 7k per year, will more than likely be petrol. Journeys are made up of mainly local runs & in the summer trips to the van on the Welsh coast from Shropshire.

l like to think l drive with a sense of consideration/sympathy to the vehicle & had pretty much made up my mind to keep it simple & go for a normally aspirated chain driven motor, as though they can have their problems l'm a little fed up with belt replacement; which always seems to be more & more expensive. However, though l'm not looking for blistering performance, l don't want to be caught out with the odd overtake or have to spend more time endlessly changing gear.

So, opinions welcome if this is a valid, or am l looking at things too simplistically? Please feel free to recommend makes/models with a 10k budget.

Thanks.

Any - Turbo or not - misar

Leaving aside performance cars, turbo petrols have mainly been used to allow small engines with similar performance but better fuel consumption than larger NA engines. The last more or less mainstream exponent of the latter (no small petrol turbos at all) is probably Mazda.

I like Mazda's approach (I have had two 3s) and in my view they actually provide similar performance figures and consumption to the equivalent power small turbo in, say, a Ford. But they do not provide similar torque at lower revs so after 25 years with turbo diesels you will not be happy with more frequent gear changing.

Any - Turbo or not - badbusdriver

There are a couple of questions i'd have before recommending anything. first of those is what size of car are you thinking about going for?. Second is what sort of power you are accustomed to? (what are you coming from for example?).

£10k gives a lot of options, but i don't think i'd have much concerns over going turbo petrol and the economy on some of these can be almost as good as diesel.

One other question is, would you be looking for manual or auto gearbox?. Two reason for this, the first regarding misar's comments over frequent gear changes. A decent auto box mated to a n/a petrol would solve this problem. Obviously it isn't going to overcome the excess revs needed on a n/a for these overtaking manoeuvres, but decent refinement would alleviate this to an extent. Second reason is that dual clutch automated manuals can be unreliable, especially the 'dry clutch' type you are likely to find on a petrol.

There are a couple of questions i'd have before recommending anything. first of those is what size of car are you thinking about going for?. Second is what sort of power you are accustomed to? (what are you coming from for example?).

£10k gives a lot of options, but i don't think i'd have much concerns over going turbo petrol and the economy on some of these can be almost as good as diesel.

One other question is, would you be looking for manual or auto gearbox?. Two reason for this, the first regarding misar's comments over frequent gear changes. A decent auto box mated to a n/a petrol would solve this problem. Obviously it isn't going to overcome the excess revs needed on a n/a for these overtaking manoeuvres, but decent refinement would alleviate this to an extent. Second reason is that dual clutch automated manuals can be unreliable, especially the 'dry clutch' type you are likely to find on a petrol.

Looking at medium sized such as the Mazda 3/Civic or perhaps a small/medium crossover/suv.

Nothing over a 2 litre TD in the past & currently drive a RAV 4 D-4D (2 litre)

l see your point as to an auto box taking over gear change duties in a well sorted n/a motor. Generally, l'm open to both manual or auto.

l wouldn't mind going petrol turbo as a compromise & reading posts from knowledgeable contributors, the VAG 1.4 p/t seems to be a well sorted balance between reasonable performance & economy.

Are there any recommendations of a p/t chain driven motor?

Are there any recommendations of a p/t chain driven motor?

Not sure about which cars do or don't have chain drive, personally it wouldn't affect my choice one way or t'other!.

l wouldn't mind going petrol turbo as a compromise & reading posts from knowledgeable contributors, the VAG 1.4 p/t seems to be a well sorted balance between reasonable performance & economy.

It is, but in terms of bang per buck, you could look at the (unfairly) unloved Vauxhall Astra 1.4t. You'd certainly get into a 2018 model for £10k, but i've seen 2019 models in budget too. Compare that to the Seat Leon (which doesn't hold its value as well as a Golf mind), that budget would see you in a 2017 car at the youngest.

Also, as you are not overly bothered about performance, you could look at a Toyota Auris 1.2t. These have around 115bhp, so down 25 and 35bhp respectively over the Leon and Astra, but a decent slug of torque at low revs means overtaking shouldn't be too difficult.

BTW, both the Astra and Leon are available with lower powered versions of the same engines as well as smaller turbo engines, 1.2 in the Leon and 1.0 in the Astra.

Any - Turbo or not - S40 Man

If you are thinking of an Astra I recommend the 1.6 turbo. The op is used to lots of torque and I rate this engine for that. It also has lots of power of at the top end. It has a better reputation than 1.4 on the VX specific forums I go on.

Any - Turbo or not - daveyjp

For 100 miles a week I don't believe its worth overthinking,

VAG units have a cambelt which will need changing so based on first post they should be off the list

I personally wouldn't even bother with a turbo, an expensive component and they don't all give great drives, especially around town.

If a turbo is a pre requisite a Suzuki with the 1.4t is what I would consider.

Any - Turbo or not - paul 1963

My advice would be to have a drive in a modern turbo petrol then compare it to a normally aspirated car.....there a mile apart not just in performance but in terms of driveability , my last 2 cars have been turbo petrol and I really wouldn't go back.

Any - Turbo or not - Senexdriver

Turbo petrol here too, every time. My wife had a n/a Renault Clio 1.4 petrol and she began to get fed up with (among other things) the lack of oomph. So I suggested trying a VAG 1.2 petrol turbo as I had been driving an Audi 1.4 tfsi for a couple of years. She was amazed at the difference in acceleration, so we tried a n/a 1.4 petrol for comparison and it was no better than the Clio. The car we tried was a Skoda Fabia in both cases, but she ended up buying a Seat Ibiza with the 1.2 petrol turbo. Same engine, 105 bhp and 50+ to the gallon on a run - she was delighted with the car and kept it for 7 years.

Any - Turbo or not - SLO76
£10k to spend, enjoys driving, wants petrol and reliability with reasonable economy. I’d favour a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv. Yes they’re not over endowed with torque but a quick flick of that lovely riffle bolt gearbox and you’ll find enough power to cope with any reasonable driving needs on the road. I really rate these wee cars. They drive great yet they offer similar reliability to the Honda Civic and Toyota Auris both of which are a bit dull to pilot.

Thanks for the replies/opinions.

l guess, as people have said, when the time comes l need to test out & compare normally aspirated against a number of turbo petrol contenders.

Thanks for the replies/opinions.

l guess, as people have said, when the time comes l need to test out & compare normally aspirated against a number of turbo petrol contenders.

I did favour a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv but after your years of driving turbo diesels I doubt it would win you over in a short test drive. The performance is no worse than an equivalent turbo but its free revving engine and slick gear change encourage a different way of driving. I prefer it but I guess the turbo petrol boys would call it the old fashioned way.

I think another key factor here is whether or not the OP actually enjoys driving. If he doesn't and driving is simply something which has to be done in order to get from A to B, then the Mazda's slick gearchange isn't really going to make up for the lack of torque low down. If this is the case, then i'd say petrol turbo all day long, but also idealy mated to a decent auto transmission.

I'm also not sure who the 'turbo petrol' boys are?. Would Senexdriver's good lady wife be one of these? :-)

As for n/a being 'old fashioned', i think that probably depends on your age as the current turbo fad is certainly not the first. Back in the 80's, turbo's were very popular indeed, Renault in particular had turbo versions of nearly their entire range including the 9!. So for someone of around my age, that turbo fad was very much current when i started to get into cars. Then turbo's fell back out of favour for a few decades with the majority, including Renault, preferring n/a. And now they are back, with a venegence, and are likely to stay until electric takes over!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 23/08/2020 at 10:08

Any - Turbo or not - Manatee

With the possible exception of Saab LPT's turbos were mainly about high performance in the 80's. Now, forced induction is substituted for capacity. I must admit our Roomster 1.2TSI 105 feels livelier than a motorised shed has any right to.

I still get far more enjoyment from driving my MX-5, which actually has quite decent torque for what it is (1.5 petrol) but (a) it's a bit less that the Roomster's peak torque, and (b) it doesn't all arrive until 4800 rpm. The MX-5 is the faster car by a decent margin, but anyone habituated to turbos would think the Roomster has more urge.

Our Roomster is also an auto so it's a very easy drive.

Any - Turbo or not - gordonbennet

I've enjoyed driving turbocharged engines for many years, nothing quite like that huge surge of torque that starts to develop from about 800rpm on well sorted large swept volume (per cyl) engines, petrol or Diesel, especially satisfying on Diesels where you can hear the turbo starting its spool up, half the pleasure is driving to the sound of it and more or less ignoring the rev counter.

Never got any enjoyment from VTEC type NA engine driving, not so bad with a decent autobox but too much like hard work having to chase gears around at high revs, i like lazy torque too much.

Any - Turbo or not - Big John

I'd say try a few test drives. Back in 2015 I was last looking for a car I wasn't convinced with the idea of a small piddly 1.4 engine in a large car but I decided to try a 1.4tsi Skoda Superb as the price for a 14 month old version was rather attractive. I was surprised as to how well it drove with reasonable tourque from 1500rpm (not quite as much as my previous 1.9pd) and a nice kick as the revs rose (my previous pd would have thrown the towel in). Fuel economy has been good as well.

I think another key factor here is whether or not the OP actually enjoys driving. If he doesn't and driving is simply something which has to be done in order to get from A to B, then the Mazda's slick gearchange isn't really going to make up for the lack of torque low down. If this is the case, then i'd say petrol turbo all day long, but also idealy mated to a decent auto transmission.

Since retiring from work, where l was doing many more miles, along with the daily commute, l actually look forward to driving. l guess that's why, even for the sake of relatively low miles now, l want those to be enjoyable & in the best car possible. The A to B question is valid however, don't see myself as viewing cars as purely a functional item.

The torque debate is an interesting one & come to think of it 5 years plus ago l have accessed n/a cars (circa 2012 - 2014) on a couple of occasions from the work pool car. Both were Honda's, a couple of Jazz's & a Civic & l recall all three being an easy, pleasant drive, lite on the pedals, slick gear change etc. Though very smooth, they did need to be stoked up a little to get going.

With the possible exception of Saab LPT's turbos were mainly about high performance in the 80's. Now, forced induction is substituted for capacity.

Saab LPT's didn't actually arrive till the early 90's.

And as we are on the subject of Saab, one of the turbo pioneers of course, worth pointing out that for them using a turbo was always a substitute for capacity. That was the whole point of it, to give the 99 and 900 equivalent power of the 2.5-3.0 6 cyl engines of rivals (which Saab couldn't afford to develop) but retaining the economy (in theory anyway) of a 2.0.

Since retiring from work, where l was doing many more miles, along with the daily commute, l actually look forward to driving. l guess that's why, even for the sake of relatively low miles now, l want those to be enjoyable & in the best car possible. The A to B question is valid however, don't see myself as viewing cars as purely a functional item.

The torque debate is an interesting one & come to think of it 5 years plus ago l have accessed n/a cars (circa 2012 - 2014) on a couple of occasions from the work pool car. Both were Honda's, a couple of Jazz's & a Civic & l recall all three being an easy, pleasant drive, lite on the pedals, slick gear change etc. Though very smooth, they did need to be stoked up a little to get going.

Obviously the best option is to try both n/a and turbo options to see what you prefer driving now. I suspect having got used to the huge torque of a 2.0 turbo diesel, a n/a Jazz or Civic might not be as appealing as you recall!.

Any - Turbo or not - madf

Too much traffic to enjoy driving and quiet roads are usually those to dangerous to do more than 40mph on.

As for turbos.. great when well maintained...but when on third owner, scrupulous oil changes tend not to happen. Turbos hate dirty oil.. and overheating..

I'll give them a miss..

Too much traffic to enjoy driving and quiet roads are usually those to dangerous to do more than 40mph on.

I think the OP is considering n/a or turbo with around the same power, so this isn't relevant. Having said that, if you are forced, through traffic or road conditions, to be going along twisty country roads at a low speed, then surely the torque of a turbo will make this more comfortable and relaxing?.

As for turbos.. great when well maintained...but when on third owner, scrupulous oil changes tend not to happen. Turbos hate dirty oil.. and overheating..

I'll give them a miss..

Fair enough if the OP was working with a budget of £5k or less, but double that means a 3 or 4 year old car is entirely feasable. An approved used example from a main dealer is going to have had one or maybe two owners, and will have a proper service history, so should give no cause for concern.

Any - Turbo or not - John F

I'm now a turbo fan. We have a Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech EAT6 and I am astonished by how much power (130hp) and torque comes from what is not much bigger than a motorbike engine. I did a lot of research before selecting this particular drivetrain which I think is probably one of the more reliable and nicest small turbo/gearbox combos around. Fortunately MrsF likes the rest of the car it propels as well. In addition to those mentioned above, I suggest the OP considers a Peugeot 308 with this powertrain - fairly recent ones are now within his 10K budget. Incidentally, the cambelt is in oil and should last the life of the car.

We have a Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech EAT6 and I am astonished by how much power (130hp) and torque comes from what is not much bigger than a motorbike engine.

That is actually smaller than many motorbike engines John, not least the Triumph Rocket 3, current versions of which are 2.5 litres (3 cyl)!.

I'm now a turbo fan. We have a Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech EAT6 and I am astonished by how much power (130hp) and torque comes from what is not much bigger than a motorbike engine. I did a lot of research before selecting this particular drivetrain which I think is probably one of the more reliable and nicest small turbo/gearbox combos around.

You might find this quite interesting! www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/peugeot/2008-2013/go...d

Any - Turbo or not - veloceman
Definitely try the 140/150 bhp Leon.
Loads of torque low down where you need it.
You can drive it quickly with no effort and rarely go over 2,500 revs with
50 mpg to boot.
You start driving gutless Mazda quickly and the mpg will plummet.
Definitely try the 140/150 bhp Leon. Loads of torque low down where you need it. You can drive it quickly with no effort and rarely go over 2,500 revs with 50 mpg to boot. You start driving gutless Mazda quickly and the mpg will plummet.

Interesting comment re economy.

They seem to be getting a bit better, probably with the help of less aggressive throttle mapping, but the 'tiny turbos', especially the Fords, have been notorious for getting nowhere near their official economy figures. Nevertheless HJ's real mpg suggests about 86% of the combined figure is achieved by the 140 TSI Leoan and 82% by the 150.

Turbos should add efficiency by increasing the charge and I suppose they do, hence the figures achieved on the standard test cycle. In practice, the accessibility of all that torque and power means even old ladies and vicars leave the traffic lights like scalded cats, throwing away the potential fuel savings.

My wife in the 1.2 TSI Roomster starts better than Lewis Hamilton and struggles to get 38 mpg - I control my right foot a bit better and get low 40s. The official combined figure is 49.6.

My MX-5 averages about 48mpg driven 'normally' , despite a lower official figure at 47.1 than the Roomster. It's very flexible and easy to get around with 3000rpm or less. It's economical because at 2,500rpm it's not even a 50bhp car, even at full throttle. Much easier to drive it economically whatever the official cycle suggests.

You're quite right to say that a VVT/VTEC 'on the cam' will have worse mpg - but it's actually much easier to make the turbo cars uneconomical IME.

I admit to a bias against tiny turbos - I think we'll be lucky if our Roomster lasts 12 years. It goes extremely well, but it's a complicated little engine and its prospects are further compromised by having a DSG gearbox. I'm hoping its low annual mileage will help its chances! At least it has 4 cylinders.

Edited by Manatee on 24/08/2020 at 11:16

Any - Turbo or not - John F

I'm now a turbo fan. We have a Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech EAT6 and I am astonished by how much power (130hp) and torque comes from what is not much bigger than a motorbike engine. I did a lot of research before selecting this particular drivetrain which I think is probably one of the more reliable and nicest small turbo/gearbox combos around.

You might find this quite interesting! www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/peugeot/2008-2013/go...d

Thanks, but I read it ages ago. I love the bit about the cat scratches! Impressed by how few engine/gearbox(EAT6, not the earlier semi-auto) problems there have been in all the reviews and fora I have explored in its many years of mass production. The only major problem I found (apart from the freak spark plugs) was the batch of duff cambelts a few years ago which I think were slightly mis-sized. They frayed, causing debris which blocked oil channels. Incidentally, I have no personal interest in supporting Peugeot, a proud manufacturer which historically prided itself on engineering excellence and quality, being a cut above its competitors.

Years ago, one of the motoring tv shows did an A -B economy comparison between a similar size diesel & a petrol powered car, when driven "normally" & then hard. l don't recall the spec' of the cars but the results for the petrol (unsurprisingly) were a marked reduction in mpg when pushed, where as the diesel only suffered a 3-5 mile reduction in mpg.

In earlier posts, some contributors seem to be saying modern pt motors can be driven enthusiastically & still retain expected mpg figures (similar to diesels) where as others are saying pt mpg will still reduce if pushed.

Any - Turbo or not - Engineer Andy

Years ago, one of the motoring tv shows did an A -B economy comparison between a similar size diesel & a petrol powered car, when driven "normally" & then hard. l don't recall the spec' of the cars but the results for the petrol (unsurprisingly) were a marked reduction in mpg when pushed, where as the diesel only suffered a 3-5 mile reduction in mpg.

In earlier posts, some contributors seem to be saying modern pt motors can be driven enthusiastically & still retain expected mpg figures (similar to diesels) where as others are saying pt mpg will still reduce if pushed.

It very much depends upon the engine - the make and sometimes the specific engine and even combo with the car. Any car when pushed will drop its mpg - the question is how much, and often depends upon the power-weight ratio and how much torque it develops.

For example, the very nice (belt-driven) VAG 1.4TSI can be fitted in small cars like an Audi A1 or VW Polo, but also in a much large Skoda Octavia. The mpg drop-off will likely be more severe for the latter car than the former two just because it is much heavier, if driven hard.

The best thing to do is to compare the published mpg figures with the real-world ones, bothe of which are published (the latter being from reports from owners) on this website. They, along with reviews of the cars themselves, including user-reviews, will give a good indication as to what extent each model and engine can gie as regards performance vs mpg.

Any - Turbo or not - BPL

Save some money and buy the best Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 N/A you can find. It is a vwry light car which is something you should consider.

Edited by Peter, NI on 25/08/2020 at 11:09

I admit to a bias against tiny turbos - I think we'll be lucky if our Roomster lasts 12 years. It goes extremely well, but it's a complicated little engine and its prospects are further compromised by having a DSG gearbox. I'm hoping its low annual mileage will help its chances!

The Japanese have been fitting turbo's to engines much smaller (660cc) than your 1.2 for years, reliably. So if there are long term reliability issues with that VAG 1.2, i doubt it would be anything to do with the turbo itself, more the engineering. And lets face it, the engine is not under much stress, 105/110 bhp is not much for a 1.2 turbo. Ford's 1.0 Ecoboost has at various times (not currently i believe) been available with as much as 140bhp.

At least it has 4 cylinders.

What difference do you think this makes to reliability?

Save some money and buy the best Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 N/A you can find. It is a vwry light car which is something you should consider.

The OP has already stated (some time ago) that he was looking for something the size of a Mazda 3, Honda Civic or a small/medium crossover type. So as good as the Swift Sport is at what it does, it isn't going fit the OP's needs.

Any - Turbo or not - BPL

The OP has already stated (some time ago) that he was looking for something the size of a Mazda 3, Honda Civic or a small/medium crossover type. So as good as the Swift Sport is at what it does, it isn't going fit the OP's needs.

Fair comment BBD. I wonder if there's anything else with that o similar engine...?

Edited by Peter, NI on 25/08/2020 at 12:38

Inspired by this thread I looked at a real world performance comparison of my Mazda with the Focus 1.0 Ecoboost variant having the closest power rating (the Mazda actually gives higher torque).
www.zeperfs.com/en/duel7501-7858.htm
www.zeperfs.com/en/match7858-7501.htm
For what its worth there is little outright advantage to one or the other.

As I posted previously if you compare like with like it comes down to personal preference of engine characteristics. The Ecoboost does come out slightly ahead on fuel consumption but the difference is within the variation between individual test results.

I happen to prefer the Mazda but understand why many find the flexibility of a turbo the key issue for them.

Any - Turbo or not - corax

It may be that the 3 cylinder engine, although more fuel efficient due to less moving parts, might have been made more cheaply, because the priority is efficiency not longevity. It may last as long as a four cylinder engine if it has been built to the same standards. I would have thought that the extra vibration over the lifetime of the engine counts against it. There are old 3 cylinder diesel engines that last for donkeys years in old tractors but they have been designed to last and the revs are low.

Fair comment BBD. I wonder if there's anything else with that o similar engine...?

Not exactly, i mean the same basic engine was used in both the current Vitara (and SX4 S-Cross), but in a lower state of tune, 118bhp rather than 134. Of course all Suzuki's are light compared to rivals, a fwd 1.6 Vitara only weighs about 30 or 40 kg more than the Swift Sport. And going by what i have read, they have pretty decent road manners too.

It may be that the 3 cylinder engine, although more fuel efficient due to less moving parts, might have been made more cheaply, because the priority is efficiency not longevity. It may last as long as a four cylinder engine if it has been built to the same standards.

Not sure how you could make an engine 'more cheaply' other than with poorer quality, or thinner metal?. And i can't really see that being the case given that the 'bangs' on a 1.2 3 cyl are going to be bigger than those of a 1.2 4 cyl. This, to my non-engineering mind, would require stronger, not weaker, construction. Also, i can't really see a 1.2 3 cyl being built with any more efficiency in mind than a 1.2 4 cyl.

I would have thought that the extra vibration over the lifetime of the engine counts against it.

I often read about how 'out of balance' a 3 cyl is compared to a 4 cyl, but this is only the case at idle. Once some revs are on the go, a 3 cyl is actually smoother than a 4 cyl.

There are old 3 cylinder diesel engines that last for donkeys years in old tractors but they have been designed to last and the revs are low.

Going back to the Japanese, they (Daihatsu in particular) have been putting 3 cyl engines in their cars for donkeys years too (1977 for the 1st gen Daihatsu Charade). Their mechanical reliability is legendary*, rust will kill them but the engines just go on and on!.

*Provided regular oil changes for the chain drive engines have been done.

I admit to a bias against tiny turbos ...

The Japanese have been fitting turbo's to engines much smaller (660cc) than your 1.2 for years, reliably. So if there are long term reliability issues with that VAG 1.2, i doubt it would be anything to do with the turbo itself, more the engineering. And lets face it, the engine is not under much stress, 105/110 bhp is not much for a 1.2 turbo. Ford's 1.0 Ecoboost has at various times (not currently i believe) been available with as much as 140bhp.

I did mention my bias. Turbos needn't be unreliable per se but the later generation of engines aimed at efficiency don't just have turbos. This 1.2TSI demonstrated its unreliability, mainly by munching its toothed chains. And it is complicated as well as lightly built, with lightweight open deck block casting, plastic timing chain tensioners, two cooling circuits with two thermostats and active coolant pump, pcv oil separation, direct injection, reduced bearing sizes cf. earlier engines and a commensurately smaller oil pump to save weight. Ours is post some production modifications, but its type was still replaced soon afterwards.

I don't think 4 v. 3 cylinders directly affects reliability, I just hated the headache-inducing thrum of the Citroen C1 I drove for 3 weeks. I'm told they're not all like that but while there are still cars with 4 cylinders I'll prefer those.

If I were to buy another small petrol car I'd look at Mazda first. They have also swerved around the dual clutch auto-gearbox bodge. Commercially, eschewing tiny turbos will probably turn out to have been a bad move for them but it attracts me.