Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - bananastand

Inexperienced daughter wants to put her £3000 savings down on a Baleno SZ3 at a national dealer, and finance the rest, which is £5000.. It's an 18 plate 11000 miles.

I won't go through her life story but she thinks the car is an "investment" and has a history of making expensive impulse purchases on shiny things.

Need some back up to give her solid reasons to get a good car at £3000 or less - to be fair she does need one, her old Jazz is held together by tape and prayers.

I think a trip to Evan Halshaw would be in order?

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Zippy123

It's a difficult one.

My daughter lived some way away and wanted a newish car when she passed her test for reliability.

Having tested some expensive second-hand city cars - 2 to 3 years old all well used and a bit rough we found a pre-reg Aygo with a 4 year 9 month warranty left for about £2k more than the 2-3 year old cars and snapped it up. £8k but well spent with peace of mind.

Daughter had saved the majority and I loaned her about £2k.

If you need a reliable car, and are away from day to day support like nearby parents then, whilst clearly not an investment can provide some peace of mind.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - dan86

Inexperienced daughter wants to put her £3000 savings down on a Baleno SZ3 at a national dealer, and finance the rest, which is £5000.. It's an 18 plate 11000 miles.

I won't go through her life story but she thinks the car is an "investment" and has a history of making expensive impulse purchases on shiny things.

Need some back up to give her solid reasons to get a good car at £3000 or less - to be fair she does need one, her old Jazz is held together by tape and prayers.

I think a trip to Evan Halshaw would be in order?

Suzukis are generally very reliable I've had 2 my current one is 10 years old and still going strong, its never let me down yet.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - badbusdriver

Considering you say your daughter is inexperienced(?) and tends towards impulse buys, the Baleno is a remarkably sensible choice!. As has been mentioned, Suzuki's are very reliable, the Baleno itself is very spacious for its size with a large boot. You should be thankful she wants one over something less reliable but with a more 'impressive' badge!.

The bottom line though, is its her choice. Their is very little you can say to change her mind. Possibly you could (knowing, presumably, what appeals to her) show her some pics of other cars for sale locally which are a bit cheaper. Maybe a compromise their would be in order, £5.5-6k rather than £4k?. This would get into a 2015-2016 Swift, a very smart, reliable and stylish looking car.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Andrew-T

Apart from the usual suggestions about reliability (most 21st-century cars are pretty reliable, but some a bit more reliable than others) I think your query boils down to your daughter's attitude to life in general, and borrowing in particular. My daughters were both cautious about buying their first cars but I'm not sure whether that was much to do with any advice we gave, more about their overall nature.

From your description I'm also not sure how much weight comments from this forum would carry :-)

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - John F

As soon as my two sons displayed an interest in owning a car I taught them the difference between an 'investment' and a 'wasting asset'. They then clearly appreciated the logic of my generosity in spending no more than a few hundred pounds on their first cars (a brace of white Peugeot 309s). It is to their credit that they lasted several years without being written off!

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Wasabi
Assuming she can make any finance that she signs up for, it seems to be a reasonable prospect for a second car.

Actually I would be more concerned with guiding her through a car purchase from a large dealer chain. It’s very easy for the uninitiated to be fleeced with expensive finance, unnecessary insurances and other snake-oil products.
Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - mcb100

As above - there are lots of small, family owned Suzuki dealers in the network, as opposed to PLC's. May be worth travelling a bit further to experience a more personal service.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - tim10597

My daughter bought a Baleno automatic in June. She’s not the most confident driver and after trying my automatic, decided she too wanted an automatic car. The Baleno has no street cred and we were lucky as the car she bought was her Granny’s car (good timing). It is an excellent car, very economical and her confidence grows by the day when driving it. If she plans to keep the car a long time, as my daughter does, then it may not be a bad choice.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Terry W

Baleno broadly seems like a sensible cautious buy.

There are some real benefits to buying a newish car - warranty for at least a year, should have no major problems for 5 years or more. Even minor issues will be rare - battery, exhaust, shock absorbers, brakes etc etc.

The economic argument really depends on how long she keeps it - less than 2 years and it becomes an expensive indulgence, 5 years or more it is cheap motoring!

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - gordonbennet

Not all cars peg out at the side of the road 14 minutes after the warranty expires.

Daughter covered well over 100k hard miles in her two Civic 2 litre S types, both cost around £2k as i recall, her latest runabout another Civic this time a 1.8 was just over £2.5k, that has covered around 40k i think in her hands, none of these have ever broken down on her, the later one isn't as robust as the earlier cars but the same goes for most makes.

I'll be a lone voice here and suggest not to start off a motoring life on the never never treadmill, plenty of decent reliable cars for under £3k out there if you research and buy carefully.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - daveyK_UK
Baleno is an under rated car
Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Falkirk Bairn

Baleno & Celerio withdrawn from UK.

Both had slow sales - Celerio was cheap & cheerful, the Balenio was a class or 2 higher quality. Both Indian Suzuki build.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - glidermania

Baleno & Celerio withdrawn from UK.

Both had slow sales - Celerio was cheap & cheerful, the Balenio was a class or 2 higher quality. Both Indian Suzuki build.

Celerio also had a serious braking issue in RHD form when first tested in the UK that hadnt been picked up by Suzuki. I think it was uncovered by Autocar and was something to do with the steering column that wasnt apparent in LHD versions.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - John F

I'll be a lone voice here and suggest not to start off a motoring life on the never never treadmill, plenty of decent reliable cars for under £3k out there if you research and buy carefully.

Lone + 1

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - tim10597

Knowing my daughter, she will keep it til it dies!! She was in the fortunate position to purchase outright, so we hope that long term it will be a cheap car to run.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - SLO76
The unfashionable Baleno is a perfectly reasonable car but they absolutely crash in value. A better place for her money would be a Swift, Yaris, Jazz or a Mazda 2.
Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Dag Hammar

The Suzuki Swift has a great following and may be as appealing as an alternative to the Baleno. I do not know if the price for this Swift is good at £6195 or not but it certainly looks a nice car for the money. Located at Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200703080...3

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Andrew-T

Located at Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

Is Suffolk as dear as Norfolk (recently stated to be one of the dearest parts of England) ?

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - iltym

I personally think it would be a waste of money considering the amount it will depreciate in the next three or four years after she buys it. However, buying a car is often about as much personality as it is anything else - I knew someone who refused to buy a car with a make that ended with a vowel. Many people who have replied here think it would be a good buy, whereas others (including me) do not.

You can't stop her from buying it, but you could try and convince her that she could get a car for much cheaper that is reliable and does not feel old. The Jazz that she has is a very reliable used car, but it obviously feels old to her and that is something she wants to avoid in her next car. Maybe go for a drive in something cheaper and see what she thinks?

Edited by iltym on 21/08/2020 at 21:51

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - MikeM100

There's much more to buying a car than the metal !

I would say that the dealer and their service are almost as important. I recently bought a Suzuki (Vitara) from a local family run dealer and was delighted with both the car and the customer service. I was treated throughout as a valued customer.

Can't say the same for VW 'couldn't care less attitude' who I foolishly stuck with for over 30 years

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - Ethan Edwards

Which version Mike? I have a late 67 plate 1.4t allgrip auto the S version. Had it from new. Still love it.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - MikeM100

Mine is just a 66 plate basic 1.6 SZ4. Delighted with it but the dealer experience has been great

It surprises me they aren't more popular. Good value, well equipped super reliable, comfy. Whats not to like. Being light its pretty nippy as well. I guess its badge snobbery.

Suzuki Baleno - help - inexperienced daughter wants to drop £8k - badbusdriver

It surprises me they aren't more popular. Good value, well equipped super reliable, comfy. Whats not to like. Being light its pretty nippy as well. I guess its badge snobbery.

I think with Suzuki, how popular they appear to be depends on how close you are to a dealer. We have one locally and as a result, they are a very common sight, Vitara's and Swift's being the most numerous, with the Ignis next then the SX4 S-Cross. The dealer has recently taken on MG too, which has resulted in a noticeable increase in their presence locally.

About the OPs Baleno The SZ3 is I believe the 1.2 na engine. I'd recommend the SZ5 or at least the 1litre turbo version. I have that engine in a Swift well my wife has the car. That engine is superb.