Ford Fiesta - Tyre speed rating 87V vs 87W? - thepc

Hi,

I'm currently looking to buy new tyres for my Fiesta.

The original tyres are 195 55 R16 87V. This is also what it says on the inside of the door.

I have found some 87V tyres for £80 with a fuel rating of E and rain rating of C.

However, there are some 87W tyres for the same price but with a fuel rating of A and rain rating of B. Both Hankook.

So is there any issue with me getting W instead of V? Obviously I'd rather have tyres with a better fuel and rain rating.

Thanks!

Ford Fiesta - Tyre speed rating 87V vs 87W? - _

Go for the better tyre. No problems at all.

Ford Fiesta - Tyre speed rating 87V vs 87W? - thepc

Great - thanks :)

Ford Fiesta - Tyre speed rating 87V vs 87W? - Bromptonaut

As long as you go up there's no problem deviating from the recommended speed rating.

Ford Fiesta - Tyre speed rating 87V vs 87W? - Engineer Andy

Hi,

I'm currently looking to buy new tyres for my Fiesta.

The original tyres are 195 55 R16 87V. This is also what it says on the inside of the door.

I have found some 87V tyres for £80 with a fuel rating of E and rain rating of C.

However, there are some 87W tyres for the same price but with a fuel rating of A and rain rating of B. Both Hankook.

So is there any issue with me getting W instead of V? Obviously I'd rather have tyres with a better fuel and rain rating.

Thanks!

I would check the door plate and the handobook to see what other tyres can be used for your car. A 'V' speed rated tyre is rated to 149mph and W is even higher (I forget what that speed rating is), so that is fine, but unless that Fiesta is a top-spec sporty model (engine-wise), the plate / handbook may say that (for example) and 'H' speed rated tyre may be possible.

Admitedly that could be in conjunction with downsizing to a smaller wheel with a higher sidewall tyre, not always. Sometimes the lower speed rated tyre (if allowed by the table in the handbook or plate on the door) could be a more popular tyre and thus cheaper.

Saying that, I suspect that the W rated tyre will prove the best bet. It's just a shame that having such odd size combos means that few are available and thus they cost a lot. Note that there are quite a few V rated tyres in your original spec that are in the better wet / mpg ratings available on Blackcircles, if not cheap. You can buy them mail order from them if you prefer having them fitted at your local garage if it isn't a BC outlet.

My Dad has the same issue with his 08 plate Fiesta which is shod on 195/50 R15 tyres - few available, those that are will be older design and thus the not so good wet and mpg rated as your V rated tyres, as well as being more expensive than my car's (standard / popular / cheap) 195/65 R15 and previous 205/55 R16.

A nice little earner for tyre retailers/manufacturers and some dealerships.