BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - bazomis

I'm in the market for a 'new' car after putting up with my Mercedes E250 CDI Estate for nearly 10 years and another bill on Friday for £300 for new suspension springs after a B service the week, bringing repair and service costs to a total of £6,000, or £600 a year or over 60p a mile (and that doesn't include depreciation, fuel, insurance or road tax!)

I've looked at buying a 19/69 facelift BMW 520d M Sport Touring for £25k, but because the original list price was £44k, the VED will be £475 a year for 5 years, which I'm not willing to pay for the small number of miles I do.

Similarly, I phoned Mercedes Loughborough about a 19-plate E220d SE Estate this week. They said the VED would be £475 pa. I asked which model year had a list price of less that £40k since 2017. I was told it didn't matter. I would still be charged £475pa for road take on a new or used model, regardless of age, after 2017.

Is this correct? And if it isn't, where can I find a list of cars by MY and list price (before extras?? I am determined to pay no more than £150pa in VED for driving 800 miles a year!

bazomis

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - sammy1

Dream on, with small cars like some MINI and Audi A1s with list prices of £30kplus you can only think what the new executive saloons list as. Having said that you are sensible in looking at recent second hand prices. The one you highlight £44k to £25k for just 6months of registration is a good example. It has long been the case that manufacturers put a list price and allow dealers to heavily discount from this and this is no help to the road tax situation. I myself feel like you and would not pay this extra tax. You will just have to keep enquiring as to the tax on specific cars or go a bit older when list prices were a lot lower The £40k list selling price plus any extras BEFORE discounts triggers the 5 years Most executive cars have lots of extras which add to the list price for road tax With your experience of Mercs I would leave them alone.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - FiestaOwner

I'm in the market for a 'new' car after putting up with my Mercedes E250 CDI Estate for nearly 10 years and another bill on Friday for £300 for new suspension springs after a B service the week, bringing repair and service costs to a total of £6,000, or £600 a year or over 60p a mile (and that doesn't include depreciation, fuel, insurance or road tax!)

I've looked at buying a 19/69 facelift BMW 520d M Sport Touring for £25k, but because the original list price was £44k, the VED will be £475 a year for 5 years, which I'm not willing to pay for the small number of miles I do.

Similarly, I phoned Mercedes Loughborough about a 19-plate E220d SE Estate this week. They said the VED would be £475 pa. I asked which model year had a list price of less that £40k since 2017. I was told it didn't matter. I would still be charged £475pa for road take on a new or used model, regardless of age, after 2017.

Is this correct? And if it isn't, where can I find a list of cars by MY and list price (before extras?? I am determined to pay no more than £150pa in VED for driving 800 miles a year!

I'm very sorry, but I don't see the point of spending so much money on a car which you hardly use. 800 miles a year averages out at 15.4 miles a week or 2.2 miles a day!

In any case the combined costs of depreciation, insurance and servicing (on a car like this) will make the VED insignificant.

I still need to own a car. I travel over 350 miles at least twice a year and 4-12 miles a week in between. In the past I have done up 18,000 miles a year and might well do again occasionally in my retirement. Too long to spend trekking to a rental company. But I am sick of Mercedes and their dealerships. Known faults with coolant and suspension systems at certain mileages blatantly denied. £1.50 part cost for a valve then costs £250 to fit by the dealer; £500 for a new water pump after 4 years; £100 charged for each front suspension spring last week when the independent garage owner told me the cost of the parts would have been less than a third of that on any other vehicle. They are simply 's******ships'.

bazomis

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - barney100

Why go to dealers? I use an indie and my costs are nothing like yours! I'm on my 4th Mercedes, the last Slk (2012 250d) I had for 6 years. Apart form tyres and brakes and a £150 bill for a suspension fix after an MOT it was not particularly expensive to run. I have now an E class cabriolet 220 of 2016 and paid £12 after PX. Merc main dealers charge a fortune but a good indie saves you much of it.

I simply don't like paying (more) tax to the government than I do already.

bazomis

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - RT

I simply don't like paying (more) tax to the government than I do already.

bazomis

Don't let principle run away with your decision - best way to reduce tax from motoring is to buy an economy car as the fuel duty is higher than VED.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - badbusdriver

Given your experience with the Merc, i'd have thought reliability would be your prime concern, not going into another (imo, over rated) German premium brand.

Also, your desire for cheap road tax leads down one of two roads, hybrid or electric. This would also make by far the most sense given your 800 miles annual mileage. But as you are coming from an estate and are also looking at an estate i'm assuming you want an estate?. If so, that rather limits the choice, certainly for BMW, with nothing available up to £25k. Going for another Merc, you do have the option of the C350 E which also happens to be a plug in hybrid. Again, for your useage, a plug in hybrid (rather than self charging) would make most sense. £25k would get you into a 2018 model with sensible miles. Tax on this, as far as i can tell would be £140 per annum, the some seem to be free, i think it depends on the age. About the only other option for a plug in hybrid estate up to £25k would be a VW Passat GTE.

Personally, im not the slightest bit interested in what the badge says, i'd rather get the most suitable vehcle for the job regardless of make. And, depending on just how much space you actually need, i'd very much be looking at full electric options. Nothing available as big as an E Class or 5 series estate, but if you could manage withe a Golf sized car, there are quite a few options. Including a VW E-Golf, Nissan Leaf, Kia Soul, Hyundai Ionic, and Mercedes B Class (didn't know they existed!).

Thanks for your reply. I need enough space for a dog and three months of stuff for each trip (shooting, fishing and relaxing between December and March), so I've assumed an estate is my only option. That said, my teenage son used to sleep in the back seats on our travels and he has now left home, so there might be an opportunity for one less row of seats/capacity!

bazomis

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - Avant

I think you must have meant 8,000 miles a year. Even then this is still lowish, and the last thing you need is a diesel.

You can look at the reviews section of this site and under 'Specs' you can see list prices, even of cars that aren't still current.

If you're going to buy used and keep the car long-term, avoid the prestige German makes. As you've discovered, repairs are expensive when they get older.

If you need a big estate, for £25k you'll be far better served by a petrol-powered Ford Mondeo, Skoda Superb or Mazda 6.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - pd

It's only £475 for the first 5 years as you say so the only solution is to go a bit older really.

You could go for a pre-2017 car which would probably put you in the last of the line F11 520d which is still a very fine car indeed and has the same G47 engine as the newer model and IIRC costs £30 or less to tax. £12k-£15k should buy a very nice example which with your annual mileage should give good service for many years.

The F10 and G30 5-Series have generally proven very reliable and have few generic faults.

I

If you need a big estate, for £25k you'll be far better served by a petrol-powered Ford Mondeo, Skoda Superb or Mazda 6.

Which are all decent enough cars but, frankly, not as nice as a 5-Series.

i gave the 520d estate a 6.5 out of 10 on test drive due mainly to the poor rear visibility, the antiquated wing mirrors and an annoying rattle from the dashboard.

bazomis

Then why are you worrying about buying one?

My main criticism of the 5-Series - particularly in F10 format is they are very nice but also a bit dull to drive. The steering in particular is dull and has weird assistance and they simply aren't fun to punt a long a B road in a way a BMW should be.

Basically they're an excellent Lexus or Volvo but not a great BMW.

Edited by pd on 08/08/2020 at 19:09

I also looked at the latest Range Rover Evoque d150 S auto and found they had priced the new model at £45 over the £40k threshold. are they bonkers??

bazomis

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - gordonbennet

I don't get the post at all, compared with depreciation and likely regular repair costs, especially with the vehicles in question, the annual VED bill, which only applies for the first 5 years i understand, will pale into insignificance.

As for wanting to minimise tax paid, yes i quite agree but when the sums are done and the inevitable tax bills to pay for the covic scam arrive, that couple of years high VED you are trying to avoid will once again pale.

The answer is as simple as it was for people wanting a high CO2 rated car on the old VED rates, you either bought one regd before March23 2006 or paid the higher rate for one regd after, your choice here is either buy a cheaper list price newer car or buy an older one.

Don't forget Climate Change is going to be the next big money spinner, anyone's guess what they'll do but one thing is sure, the motorist is going to be hit very hard very shortly, crystal ball time to know what to do.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - Avant

" I travel over 350 miles at least twice a year and 4-12 miles a week in between."

That's neither 800 nor 8,000 miles a year, but still very low. With a budget of £25,000 you could get a new or nearly-new small car, say a Yaris Hybrid, and hire a bigger diesel car if you need to for the long trips. You'd still be in pocket and pay a lot less to the Government in both VED and fuel duty.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - FiestaOwner

" I travel over 350 miles at least twice a year and 4-12 miles a week in between."

That's neither 800 nor 8,000 miles a year, but still very low. With a budget of £25,000 you could get a new or nearly-new small car, say a Yaris Hybrid, and hire a bigger diesel car if you need to for the long trips. You'd still be in pocket and pay a lot less to the Government in both VED and fuel duty.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the OP's annual mileage. It's obviously extremely low.

Personally I wouldn't consider a hybrid for this use. I've seen it reported on here that hybrids which get little use can have the main vehicle battery go flat through lack of use (even if the hybrid battery is charged). If the main battery is flat the vehicle won't go. I would go for a petrol engine.

I don't see a hybrid would be of any benefit with the 350+ miles longer trips. In any case as the annual mileage is so low the MPG is pretty much irrelevant.

In response to the OP's previous replies, I do understand that you need a car and you want one car that can do everything, without dealing with hire cars for your longer trips. Personally I would be looking at less premium cars, as they are cheaper to buy, repair and have lower VED.

From your replies though, you want a premium brand. That's fine, it's your money and at the end of the day, you should buy something you like.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - John F

Don't jump from pan to fire - BMW is still thought of as 'BigMoneyWorries by some'. I also do a low annual mileage and for the last thirty years have run well researched old Audis (100 2.0E; A6 2.8SE; A8 W12), none of which generated any big repair bills and were simply serviced by me. If I were you I would consider a well cared for Audi A6 Avant or All-road if your expeditions take into rough territory. If you are lucky, you might find a cheap old good example registered before March 2006 - the VED is only £325 for the largest gas guzzler. They are galvanised (and the A8 is all aluminium) so unlike old bimmers & MBs, they last well.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - Terry W

Buy a car for £25k - 10 years later you will have lost £20k + in depreciation - £2k pa. Add on insurance, servicing, a few repairs/replacements and it will be £3k +.pa.

Very low mileage is as damaging to a car as high mileage - albeit for different reasons.

If you are unconcerned by this, then a £25k Merc, BMW, Audi etc is just an indulgence, not a rational purchase. So why worry about VED??

Sorry, I have clearly either not explained myself properly or fail to understand how the new VED rates work.

Take the example of my current E-Class. List price almost 10 years ago was around £32,000. In 2019, the equivalent model had a list price of £39,000, being increased to over £40k in 2020. I had made the assumption that if I sourced a car with a MY where the list price in that production year was less than £40k, I would pay £165pa in VED, rather than £475.

With the example of the BMW 520d M Sport Touring, I was told the original list price of the 19/69 plate car was £44k, even although it was for sale for only £25k. I was trying to ask on here which year would have had an original price tag of just under £40k e.g. 19-plate, 18-plate or 17-plate, and therefore qualify for a lower rate of VED.

I am now having doubts! Are all makes/models since April 2017 charged at the higher VED rate if the CURRENT list price for the LATEST model of the SAME car is over £40k??

bazomis

Sorry, I have clearly either not explained myself properly or fail to understand how the new VED rates work.

Take the example of my current E-Class. List price almost 10 years ago was around £32,000. In 2019, the equivalent model had a list price of £39,000, being increased to over £40k in 2020. I had made the assumption that if I sourced a car with a MY where the list price in that production year was less than £40k, I would pay £165pa in VED, rather than £475.

With the example of the BMW 520d M Sport Touring, I was told the original list price of the 19/69 plate car was £44k, even although it was for sale for only £25k. I was trying to ask on here which year would have had an original price tag of just under £40k e.g. 19-plate, 18-plate or 17-plate, and therefore qualify for a lower rate of VED.

I am now having doubts! Are all makes/models since April 2017 charged at the higher VED rate if the CURRENT list price for the LATEST model of the SAME car is over £40k??

bazomis

No - if you're buying a 2017 car, it depends whether the list price in 2017 was above/below £40,000 - bear in mind that a specific car may have been under £40,000 list price but may have been optioned up above £40,000 so will pay the higher VED for the full 5 years.

So, back to my original question then - which year was a basic BMW 520d M Sport Touring (with metallic paint) last list priced at just under £40k?

And is there a known list available anywhere of all makes/models/variants/MYs and their original list prices?

bazomis

So, back to my original question then - which year was a basic BMW 520d M Sport Touring (with metallic paint) last list priced at just under £40k?

And is there a known list available anywhere of all makes/models/variants/MYs and their original list prices?

bazomis

That may not be too helpful as virtually all premium cars are sold with some options, even those bought from "stock".

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - sammy1

No it is not blanket. It is car specific at the time of first registration, so logically the further you go back to 2017 the cheaper the basic list price. You will just have to search out likely purchases and ask. If you were to move away from diesel you may well find that the list prices start lower and give you more option to find a later car. Some 520i petrols may be a good bet. If you are used to large executive cars then stay with them

If you find a car you like simply go to www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk and put the registration number in.

It will tell you when the additional rate applies to (if, indeed, it applies at all).

Thanks very much. That's useful to know for future reference. I'll try it as soon as the DVLA get the site running again...

Sorry, there is a problem with the service

The DVLA service that you are trying to access is currently unavailable, please try again later.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - Brit_in_Germany

Try this one:

www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - KBB

Try this one:

www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Both links working now but to see the tax rates, you need to have the ref number from the V5 so unless the garage is willing to give you that over the phone (unlikely) then you are back to square one. FWIW, I believe your garage is wrong, it is the original list price of that particular car when it was purchased that the VED is based on, not the price now.

The govt screwed up by giving cars with low CO2 emissions low/zero VED for years (some of which, i.e.VW, didn't even genuinely have low emissions) and they are now trying to claw some of that back with what is effectively a premium car tax. I am having the same dilemma as I am looking at Volvo V60s and V90s. The V90 has a better spec and seems better used value, but they were often over £40k list price when new.

I think your options are:

1. Just suck it up and add it to the overall cost of running a large, premium car. Setup a direct debit to pay it automatically and shred the letter straight away when it comes in, whilst still grumbling about it!
  2. Buy a pre-2017 model
  3. Go for a cheaper marque
  4. Lease (i.e. actual lease, not PCP) where the VED is included in the lease cost. You always have a car that is in warranty and doesn't need an MOT. However, it will probably cost you more in the long run than stumping up the extra VED for a few years.

If you enter a post-2017 car which is subject to the new tax rates it has a line which says when the higher rate applies until which you do not need to enter the V5 to get.

It is pretty simply on post-2017 cars - it can only be one of two rates so you don't really need the V5 to tell you what it is.

BMW 520d M Sport Touring - VED rates - KBB

If you enter a post-2017 car which is subject to the new tax rates it has a line which says when the higher rate applies until which you do not need to enter the V5 to get.

It is pretty simply on post-2017 cars - it can only be one of two rates so you don't really need the V5 to tell you what it is.

Aha, good spot, thanks, I admit I just skimmed over the vehicle details as I was looking for something with a pound sign! Just checked on a 2018 V90 and it appears as pasted below. So that would be an extra £1300 in VED over those 4 years. Not an insignificant sum, but viewed in the context of the overall cost then it doesn't seem worth getting too bothered about.

"Additional Rate applicable until31 July 2024"
Just tried both links again. First still didn't work for me but second did and can identify premium VED cars with just the registration number because of this data response when I entered a 19-plate car

Additional Rate applicable until
31 October 2024

Many thanks

Bazomis

Spent a large part of my morning plugging possible suitable vehicles for sale registration numbers in to this site, only to find that all of you on here were correct - you cannot realistically buy any 'premium' vehicle that isn't older than 2017 MY without the additional VED rate applying.

Might keep mine for another 10 years and spend an extra £300 a year on repairs instead of coughing up the extra tax!

bazomis