Gordon Murray Automotive - GMA - T50 - daveyjp

Almost 30 years since the McLaren F1 Gordon Murray has now launched what will probably be his last hurrah.

https://gordonmurrayautomotive.com/en/

At £3m and just 100 to be built, plus a few for the track, its not something most of us will get anywhere near, but it has been designed as what he sees as the ultimate drivers car.

Brand new 4.0 Cosworth V12. Less than 1,000 kg, manual gearbox, no ancilliary belts in the engine, No spoilers, no real sense of its capabilities until you see the back and ask 'what's that'?

He has no idea how powerful it is, or how fast it will go because he isn't interested in performance in terms of speed. It has all been designed with the driver in mind and its a GT car, not a crazy sports car, so there is room for your luggage!

There are also a few videos on youtube where he speaks more about his design philosophy and how it was applied to a car which if it increases in value like the F1 will be a £100m+ car in 30 years time,

Gordon Murray Automotive - GMA - T50 - badbusdriver

As much as i admire the ethos behind the T50 (which is basically the same as the F1), i'm more interested in his more down to earth designs, like the T25/27 city car (which sadly no manufacturer would take on).

But i have a real soft spot for the OX flatpack truck, specifically designed to be affordable, simple, versatile and as capable as possible for developing countries.

A highly evolved version of the F1 demonstarting how Murray's thinking, automotive design and manufacturing techniques have evolved over 30 years.

The engine in itself looks a work of art, but it is designed to ensure its presence does not affect the handling.

Gordon Murray Automotive - GMA - T50 - mcb100

The car really is a work of art, being free of fiddly aerodynamic bits, but it does look to have a very lofty ride height. We'll see if that changes once testing and development has taken place.

It's also a real antidote to the current 2 tonne supercars, which are a complete nonsense.

I did notice on the spec sheet it has a 48V Integrated Starter Generator, so some hybrid assistance. The V12 will also rev from 0-12,100 rpm in 0.3 seconds....

The starter generator is more about having a 48v system to run the rear fan and standalone aircon system.

It also removes the need for any belt driven ancilliaries which are heavy and bulky.

No traditional starter motor, no alternator(s), no aircon compressor and no belts to change or adjust.

Gordon Murray Automotive - GMA - T50 - mcb100

That makes sense.