Seat adjustment. So little choice. - concrete

The recent thread about seat height and ingress for drivers with limited movement caused me to think about this thread. Although fortunate enough not to need mobility aids I would pay extra for my choice of seat adjustment. The best feature by far on any car is the memory function for the drivers seat. Allowing minute multi adjustment electrically and storage of that position and the side mirrors in a memory is invaluable. SWMBO being 5'3" and me at 6'2" meant a real problem if she left the seat in her position after using my car. However when opened with my master key the seat and mirrors automatically returned to my settings. Absolutely priceless. This came as standard on my Superb Elegance. However this cannot be specified without buying a whole package of leather/heated seats and other gizmos, some not required. The ability to split options was a real bonus years ago. Being able to buy an L spec and add some GL or Ghia features was great. No longer so. It's almost like they don't want to sell me what I want, but what they want me to have. Don't like it. The XC60 is very comfortable and luckily SWMBO does not drive it, but if she did it would drive me crackers again having to reset the seat, mirrors etc every time.

Cheers Concrete

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - sammy1

The problems start before you even get into some vehicles, just try and get up to a lot of suvs before you get into the seat. BMW had seat adjustment sorted years ago with driver 1 & 2 on and electrically driven seat, extra option of course.

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - Mike H

I can feel with you for this, Concrete. Our old 2003 Saab (admittedly top of the range) had electrically adjustable driver and passenger seats, with memory on the driver's seat, and including door mirrors. The seats were also not only heated, but electrically ventilated which was wonderful on hot days. To get just the electrically adjustable and memory driver's seat on our Honda CR-V we had to buy the top of the range, which had other less useful features that we didn't need. Having had a lower spec CR-V between the Saab and the latest one, it was a pain having to keep adjusting the seat and mirrors, as we both drive on a very regular basis, hence we chose to have the feature on the newer car. Bizarrely the passenger seat on the latest one has an electrically adjustable lumbar support but otherwise is totally manual. I guess it's all in the name of keeping costs down by having extras in packages rather than individually selectable.

As an aside, I remember reading that to buy a brand new seat for our Saab with all the gadgets would have cost over £5000 as a replacement!

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - badbusdriver

I worked at a Saab dealer between 1990 and 1995 and am well aquainted with the comfort of their seats. Favourite seats were those of the 9000CS Aero (www.clubsaabespana.com/images/interior%20aero%202....G), just fantastic, so comfy!. Rear occupants didn't fair to badly either with heavily sculpted rear pews (the drawback being it probably wasn't to comfy for someone sitting in the middle). But in terms of the design, taking into account entry and exit, the classic shape 900 and 99 would be the best. The doors curled right under, so when opened, the distance between sill and seat was minimal. This also had the advantage that you wouldn't get dirty marks your trousers getting in or out, regardless of how dirty the car was. While some 900's did have electric seat adjustment, all of them had a rudimentary but clever system where the whole seat, just the front, or just the rear could be raised or lowered by an inch or two. The system was sprung, so raising the front or rear of the seat could be done while seated by either lifting your thighs or pulling your weight off the rear slightly using the steering wheel. Most of the classic 900's and 99's also had a heated drivers seat, though this was apparently thermostatically controlled (not sure how it worked?).

I also remember valeting a BMW 750iL once, it had electric adjustment for the rear seats as well as the fronts!. But pretty much every aspect of adjustment for the front seats were electric, including the bit that extended under thigh support. I did actually remove the front seats (to make cleaning the carpets easier) and the weight of them were something else!.

What irritates me most about modern car seat adjustment is that, unless the car in question has electric adjustment, when the seat is raised, the front of the base goes up at a lower rate than the back. I like to sit quite high in the car, but at the same time, i like to have the base of the seat angled down at the back. So while i may find a car seat comfy enough, i often struggle to get into a comfy position.

The only vehicle with manual height adjustment i have sat in (in relatively recent times), where this wasn't a factor, was the 2003 Iveco Daily van i bought when a started cleaning windows. Really comfy seats too, like they had been properly 'designed', not by an accountant!.

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - corax
What irritates me most about modern car seat adjustment is that, unless the car in question has electric adjustment, when the seat is raised, the front of the base goes up at a lower rate than the back. I like to sit quite high in the car, but at the same time, i like to have the base of the seat angled down at the back. So while i may find a car seat comfy enough, i often struggle to get into a comfy position.

Cheap and nasty design, I'd rather have a more expensive height adjustment system that raises evenly than a heated steering wheel e.t.c.

On these inferior seats, the only position where the seat is supporting properly is at it's lowest position, from then on it's tipping you forward like a wheel barrow and feels all wrong.

Are there any seats that are as good as the Saabs and Volvos these days? Personally I've always found Recaro seats to be great once you climb into them, no good for people who need ease of access.

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - RT

Cheap and nasty design, I'd rather have a more expensive height adjustment system that raises evenly than a heated steering wheel e.t.c.

On these inferior seats, the only position where the seat is supporting properly is at it's lowest position, from then on it's tipping you forward like a wheel barrow and feels all wrong.

Are there any seats that are as good as the Saabs and Volvos these days? Personally I've always found Recaro seats to be great once you climb into them, no good for people who need ease of access.

Height-adjustable seats need to be able to vary the front-back height as well as the overall height.

Recaro seats both genuine/labelled and those they make for car makers need breaking-in to mould to the driver's shape.

My VW Touareg seats are the best I've ever had - 14 way electric adjustment, I particularly like that the side bolsters can be adjusted for width.

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - Engineer Andy

Indeed - the same goes for the mirrors, etc. My Mum & Dad have had numerous problems with their 08 Fiesta (the run-out version) with their rear view mirror falling off because it has to be re-adjusted between each of them and something as piddling as Ford didn't use a decent glue to stick the unit to the roof lining or windscreen.

Even my Mazda3 has an annoying habit of its rear view mirror working its way loose (it fell off a few months ago on to the gear stick - luckily not adverse affects on the mirror, gear lever or me having an accident [it happened when driving down the A1[) - but unlike my parents car, the problem is not the glue but the slide-in mount for the mirror, and so the mirror can easily be re-mounted.

Why it does given I rarely need to adjust the damn thin is beyond me.

Electric memory adjustments are useful, as long as the motors keep working! I used to have a devil of a job finding the right seating position, even on my old Micra, having to measure a certain distance so I could reset it in the right position when I got it back from a service. Memory seats etc might be my 'new' gadget for the next car.

I just had to perform the obligatory electric window reset after I needed the car's battery changed - luckily for me, I remembered the procedure and its all working fine so I can open/close all the windows from the master control panel on the drivers side door.

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - concrete

It seems we are as one with this subject. Manufacturers should allow us to specify something so important as seating without having to buy a 'package' of stuff we don't need. The only useful 'package' I bought recently was the 'Winter Pack' which is heated front screen, heated washers and wipers etc. Very useful indeed, no hanging about because of frost or ice. If only we had a voice with the manufacturers.

Cheers Concrete

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - RT

It seems we are as one with this subject. Manufacturers should allow us to specify something so important as seating without having to buy a 'package' of stuff we don't need. The only useful 'package' I bought recently was the 'Winter Pack' which is heated front screen, heated washers and wipers etc. Very useful indeed, no hanging about because of frost or ice. If only we had a voice with the manufacturers.

Cheers Concrete

It's possible on premium-priced cars - if they made that choice on cheaper cars I guess the price would go up!

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - Avant

"Height-adjustable seats need to be able to vary the front-back height as well as the overall height."

Indeed they do. And adjustment of front, back and height was available on the 1960s/70s Triumph 1300 / 1500 / Dolomite. Manual adjustment, but it worked. An advert at the time said 'If you can't get comfortable in a Triumph, it must be something you ate'. Lumbar support wasn't adjustable, but there was lots of it. SWMBO had an old 1300 and still remembers it as one of the most comfortable cars she's ever had.

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - John F

"Height-adjustable seats need to be able to vary the front-back height as well as the overall height."

Indeed they do. And adjustment of front, back and height was available on the 1960s/70s Triumph 1300 / 1500 / Dolomite.

I well remember my mother's Triumph 1300 which had amazingly comfortable seats. I doubt if there are any better seats around than my Audi A8 'comfort seats' which appear to be a well padded collection of electric motors.

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - mcb100
I can't vouch for their adjustability since my preferred driving position is with the seat at its lowest setting, but Nissan have some of the best seats I've sat in.
They're called Gravity seats and are based on research from NASA in the shape that the spine adopts in a neutral state, i.e. when not being influenced by gravity. Many hours in the new Juke produced not a twinge.
Seat adjustment. So little choice. - _

Our Nissan "Kicks" (new Juke in the middle east has gravity seats.

Don't strike me as anything special, and just as cramped in the back!

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - Xileno

I've always found Renault seats to be extremely comfortable. Maybe it's just they fit my spine but I've driven 600 miles a day in a Megane and not had even had a tiny twitch. A superbly comfortable car, I would recommend it to anyone in that respect. Our Focus on the other hand, I have to sit on a cushion if I'm going more than 100 miles otherwise I get pain in the leg. But it has other qualities, a perfect car would be a combination of the two. That would be an interesting subject for a Thread - what bits from different manufacturers would you cobble together to make the perfect (to you) car?

Seat adjustment. So little choice. - gordonbennet

I've always found Renault seats to be extremely comfortable.

I'd agree with that, some of the best seats to be found were in my Renault 21 Savanna, helped by its ultra pliable ride yet able to corner at ridiculous speeds like it was on rails, Pug 405 like.

As for the Focus, we're all different (thankfully) but i just don't get the enthusiasm, each time i've driven one, well, underwhelmed puts its best, cramped, hard riding, orange box seats.