Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - Bobby Petrol

I am looking for a Mazda CX-5, and i have seen a few 3 and 4 year old ones, with 90k-100k miles on the clock but with Mazda full service history.

My initial thought is that the DPFs are likely to be in good condition, and the engines are likely to have had fewer stop start journeys, so hopefully in reasonable condition. I can save £2k by going for a high mileage version, but is it a false economy?

Any thoughts?

Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - badbusdriver

In theory, going for a higher mileage version would reduce the risk of DFP problems.

But, there is no way I'd be going for a Mazda 2.2 diesel under anycircumstances.

Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - Oli rag
Don’t buy a Mazda with a Diesel engine. Their cars, when fitted with a petrol engine are some of the best on the market, but the diesels are another thing entirely.
Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - mcb100
Check its history with a Mazda service department. There were big problems with camshaft wear causing swarf to end up in vacuum pumps and turbos, causing expensive problems if out of warranty. It may have already had rectification work done.
Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - daveyjp

DPFs are a consumable item. Whilst high mileage will have meant lots of regenerations this results in the generation of ash.

They fill with this ash and at some point they need replacing, so keep your £2k saving aside just in case.

Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - FP

I am a great fan of the CX-5. I did a lot of research before buying one four years ago and concluded that, although it was possible that the widely-publicised diesel engine problems might have been fixed, as some were claiming, there is no way I would go down the diesel route without any certainty that they had in fact been fixed. As far as I know, the situation has not changed.

I'm sure that there are plenty of Mazda diesels that give no trouble, but the chance that a really big bill is possible put me off completely. Mazda petrol engines, in contrast, have an excellent reputation.

I suppose the only advice I could give is, how lucky do you feel?

Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - madf

Gambling on prior maintenance and driving styles is not one I would undertake with Mazda's diesels...

Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - Engineer Andy

It's certianly a big risk, even with a car that has done a decent mileage, unless you can 100% verfiy that the car has mostly done longer trips during its entire life.

The 2.2 diesel engine has had other issues, though hopefully they might've been fixed by now. Still, I would be very wary without knowing its ownership history in full.

Do you an alternative from a make with far less issues with their diesels, e.g. Honda? Do you absolutely need a diesel engined car or one that big or a SUV? Many modern petrol engined cars are quite efficient now, and despite the lesser reliability of modern diesels (when used for short trips), petrols still are priced cheaper because of the lower mpg.

Worth checking the purchase price plus fuel cost over how long you think you'll keep it, adding in an allowance for certain diesel-related parts replacements or repairs due to unreliability. You might find the petrol comes out better if the annual mileage is below 15k miles.

Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - DavidGlos
Generally, Mazda petrol engines are bulletproof provided (as with any engine) they’ve been serviced correctly. Having said that, the 1.8 petrol on my BILs Mazda 5 was scrap after the timing chain failed at around 70k miles.
Mazda CX-5 - High Mileage Diesel Cars - Engineer Andy
Generally, Mazda petrol engines are bulletproof provided (as with any engine) they’ve been serviced correctly. Having said that, the 1.8 petrol on my BILs Mazda 5 was scrap after the timing chain failed at around 70k miles.

It could've been a fault, but the main cause of engine failures (outside of VAG) with such engines is a lack of oil changes (and on time) with the correct oil or the oil level dropping too low. Not saying it was in your case, but chain-driven enegines must always have decent oil.

My 14yo Mazda3's 1.6 petrol engine has been sweet as a nut since new (I've owned it the entire time), and I rarely hear of problems with their petrol engines (rotary engined cars aside). Maybe yours was one of those rare few.

With the diesel engined cars, it's far more of a lottery, and very much depends on usage patterns, which, if buying second hand, cannot be verified for the most part.