Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Malcolm T

We see a lot of people talking about the best Japanese sports cars of the 90s, but what about the average Joe? Recently I have been trying to get myself a small little Japanese car from the 90s or late 80s to enjoy retro fun. Having already done research, lots of recommendations go for the K11 Nissan Micra, especially as there's still an abundance of them around. But I've been thinking of getting something that is more rarer and discreet.

The Nissan Sunny is definitely a very uncommon car nowadays. I've seen several hatchbacks of the N13 and N14 for sub-£1k, most being the 1.3. Then there's also Toyota Starlet, having found a 1.3 1994 model for cheap and even a 1.0 80s Starlet for under 1k. Plus some K10 Micras albeit over 1k. I've also found Honda Civics of the time but they have larger engines and could be pricier to run.

Anyway, which of these cars would be the ideal choice? I know they may not be as fun as later Jap cars but their sharp lines and present scarcity give them originality. And I'm aware they would likely last forever (as long as I watch for rust). I prefer the N13 Sunny and EP80 Starlet most but want some views from anyone who has experience with these cars. P.S. I'm not looking for boy racer hot hatch editions, just super cheap economy.

Alternatively there's same era MItsubishi Colt, Daihatsu Charade, Mazda 121/323, Suzuki Swift, but all seem to be hard to find.

Edited by Malcolm T on 22/07/2020 at 15:45

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Moodyman

I went through a similar exercise about 4 years ago and ended up with a 1992 Corolla. Toyota designation E100.

1992 was the first year of this model and it ran to 1997. It was the first fuel injected Corolla and regarded by many as Toyota at their absolute best. The same engines were used in the replacement model until 2001. I manage 45 mpg in combined cycle and mid-60s on the motorway. Good to drive, comfy and being analogue, one gets loads of feedback on what's going on underneath.

Easy to work on, although nothing ever needs doing. Only issue to look out for with cars of this age is rust. Finding a rustless example is hard.

Or you could go for the model before it. Model E90. These were carburettor but we're equally as robust.

I have mechanic friend who runs one as second car and is looking to sell. His is H reg and a 5 door hatchback. 90k miles but been meticulously maintained. He's also a qualified MOT tester and has just passed it with 12m warranty. There was a small area of rust on the sill by the rear wheel arch and he sorted this prior to the MOT. Car is very clean and solid underneath.

This isn't a sales pitch and I have nothing to gain but if interested let me know and I can get the pics to you by email.

By the way the E100 model has the same engine as the Starlet.

The only difference is that Starlet's are a bit more expensive second hand. Not sure why as it's a smaller car than the Corolla. Presume when people are looking for a cheap runabout they think small car hence Micra/Starlet.

Ohh...and around 90% of the body of the E100 is galvanised so rust is less common.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - daveyjp

Its more a case of what you can find, rather than looking for particular makes and models.

An OAP neighbour has a 20 year old K11 which looks showroom fresh. Garaged between occasional use, it will be a bargain for someone if it is ever sold.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Engineer Andy

Its more a case of what you can find, rather than looking for particular makes and models.

An OAP neighbour has a 20 year old K11 which looks showroom fresh. Garaged between occasional use, it will be a bargain for someone if it is ever sold.

If the OP could find one of these - one that was not suffering from serious corrosion (as mine [96N] had started to do when I PXed it for £450 back in 2006 when I bought my current Mazda3), preferably a car pre-2nd makeover (around 2000) when the quality was (IMHO) compromised, then it should be fine.

The OP should NOT pay more than £500 for one, even one in excellent condition. I'd spend a bit more and get a sound Toyota Yaris mk1, which was a step up in quality all around. Still check for corrosion though - these are OLD cars.

Only go for one with a proven FSH, preferably one that has mainly main dealer history, especially in the first 5-10 years of its life.

Getting parts for those other cars (including the Starlet) would be tricky, given hoiw few are still around because not many were bought first time around. Ealy cars also have much shorter service intervals.

The K11 Micra has a 9k mile / 1year service interval. I bet many of the earlier models have only 6k intervals. I looked at a Honda Civic (M reg) when I bought my Micra back in 1998 and that had a 6k service interval. You lose the gains of buying an older car as a result, plus the extra risk and associated costs of rust.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 22/07/2020 at 19:17

I agree getting parts for the scarce models would be somewhat difficult, but luckily (as far as I'm correct) those old Toyotas were quite common in some parts on the continent and there's an abundance of them in many countries of Africa and Asia. Combined with a lower chance of breaking down, I wouldn't worry too much with them. (maybe if for instance it was a Daihatsu it would certainly cause a problem finding parts)

I appreciate your suggestions for cars like the K11, but as I mentioned I am purposefully trying to go further back, late 80s/early 90s era. Is the K10 Micra any good?

Edited by Malcolm T on 23/07/2020 at 13:55

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - daveyjp

Late 80s is over 30 years ago. The K10 Micra was excellent in its day. All those takeawy delivery drivers in my area can't have been wrong!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1248503

But MOT failures for tin worm, which isn't a surprise.

Late 80s is over 30 years ago. The K10 Micra was excellent in its day. All those takeawy delivery drivers in my area can't have been wrong!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1248503

But MOT failures for tin worm, which isn't a surprise.

One of my local pizza takeaways still uses a K11 Micra, as does my neighbour's district nurse team (they own two).

The E100 Corolla sounds quite good, although I would probably go for a Starlet because it's smaller. It has the same engine as what Starlet model, the 70 series or 80 series?

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Zippy123

By the way the E100 model has the same engine as the Starlet.

The only difference is that Starlet's are a bit more expensive second hand. Not sure why as it's a smaller car than the Corolla. Presume when people are looking for a cheap runabout they think small car hence Micra/Starlet.

Ohh...and around 90% of the body of the E100 is galvanised so rust is less common.

The E100 has the vaguest steering that I have ever experienced.
Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Trilogy.

I have mechanic friend who runs one as second car and is looking to sell. His is H reg and a 5 door hatchback. 90k miles but been meticulously maintained. He's also a qualified MOT tester and has just passed it with 12m warranty. There was a small area of rust on the sill by the rear wheel arch and he sorted this prior to the MOT. Car is very clean and solid underneath.

This isn't a sales pitch and I have nothing to gain but if interested let me know and I can get the pics to you by email.

Hi Moodyman,

Is your friend's 1.6 or 1.3? Auto or manual?

1.3 manual.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - _

Then there's also Toyota Starlet, having found a 1.3 1994 model for cheap and even a 1.0 80s Starlet for under 1k.

We still have our early 90s Starlet 1 litre in Amman, (Jordan) it is being used by an impoverished family friend,

It is absolutely amazing the availabilty of used (and some) new parts for the car, and the ability of the "repairers" to fix things. Drive shafts and front hubs recently reconned.. gaiters new available,, we even had it resprayed about 3 years ago!

My best memory of this car was youngrovergitl failing to brake early enough at a military checkpoint and stopping with me next to the soldier. ( I was sitting in the backseat behind her as mum was in the front)

Soldier looked displeased until I smile and shrugged my shoulders and apologised.

I think that car has been owned by yrg for nearly 20 years..

Many many happy memories. Can also remember driving from Amman down t the Dead sea and struggling slowly back up the hills.. Also the driveway from the Garage under the house is very steep and nowadays only one in the car when driving up the slope.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - edlithgow

Nissan Sunny B11 (I think, there are a lot of Sunny models) hatchback is probably the best car I've had, bought with (300 quid of) my own money.

Lived in it while doing a Masters course at Aberdeen University. Always started, even when coverted in sheet ice, and even after I disabled the autochoke, which broke and made the car undrivable.

Other problems at MOT time: Rusty brake disks (The Other Scottish Disease), roll bar linkage rusted solid. Rust hole in rear wheel arch requiring 40 quid of joke-quality-MOT-welding to plate it. Emission test showed it running "perhaps a bit lean" which is how I like them.

Cam chain engine though probably interference, dont remember.

Gave it to friends in Windsor (a taxi ride from Heathrow) when I went to Taiwan, and they scrapped it when the tax ran out :(

Could still see it for a year or two on Google Earth, but its gone now.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Cris_on_the_gas

If you can find one a Honda CRX. 2 seater sports car with removable roof. Not the original coupe but the convertible, these were made 1992-1997. Imported one called de sol. Had one back in the 1990's, a great fun car, ultra reliable and always admired. You just have to watch out that the tin worm hasn't attacked to much and has not been modified and thrashed and crashed.

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 23/07/2020 at 14:42

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Sulphur Man

Its not small, but a house around here has a white Toyota Tercel 4WD parked in the front - F-reg. A sort of boxy, but short estate, with 4WD. There's a whiff of the Simca Matra Rancho about it. It looks like a car you can depend on.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Oli rag

Wow! A toyota tercel still on the road. They were incredible rot boxes, so not sure what they've done with that one to keep it roadworthy.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - badbusdriver

Its not small, but a house around here has a white Toyota Tercel 4WD parked in the front - F-reg. A sort of boxy, but short estate, with 4WD. There's a whiff of the Simca Matra Rancho about it. It looks like a car you can depend on.

Not small, but not that big either. Worth getting hold of if, and it is a big IF, it isn't riddled with rust (they are very prone).

Very cool retro vibes though!.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Xileno

Does it have to be Japanese? What about something like a 205 for retro fun. Mechanically simple but a lot less prone to rust than the Japanese stuff of that era. You may even get lucky and find one of the excellent diesels.

I had a Datsun 120Y in 1985. It was "N" reg, so 1974.

The bodywork was immaculate despite it being a "seaside" car and it was so much better value for money than anything European at the time and better equipped.

It was also so easy to drive. The gear ratios were forgiving and the engine was moderately peppy.

The only thing wrong with it was it was that awful mustard yellow / orange colour.

I would have kept it for ages if some a*** hadn't hit and run whilst it was parked and wrote it off.

The bodywork was immaculate despite it being a "seaside" car and it was so much better value for money than anything European at the time and better equipped.

It was also so easy to drive. The gear ratios were forgiving and the engine was moderately peppy.

The only thing wrong with it was it was that awful mustard yellow / orange colour.

I would have kept it for ages if some a*** hadn't hit and run whilst it was parked and wrote it off.

You may enjoy this then (Its an Oz YouTube channel, hence the sunvisor!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihTEzYFuGqM&t=77s

You may enjoy this then (Its an Oz YouTube channel, hence the sunvisor!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihTEzYFuGqM&t=77s

Oh nostalgia pangs!

Thanks! :-D It was just how I remembered it!

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Bilboman

Ever thought of importing one from Cyprus or Malta? There are hundreds of right hand drive Japanese cars from pre-EU era running around those two islands, usually rot-free with low mileages and well cared for. Which might make it hard to find one actually for sale, but you never know.

Ever thought of importing one from Cyprus or Malta? There are hundreds of right hand drive Japanese cars from pre-EU era running around those two islands, usually rot-free with low mileages and well cared for. Which might make it hard to find one actually for sale, but you never know.

My Mazda3 was a (new - unused hire car) import from Cyprus back in 2006. Still goin' well after 14 years...saved myself a packet (£3k+ [25%+])) when i bought it via a car supermarket. Occasionally other cars have appeared via the same sort of route (from those two nations and RoI) - the only change needed is the speedo dial from KPH to MPH etc.

I know the 205 is quite popular but anything that isn't Japanese will need some more servicing and attention. When you're in a position where you don't want any headaches or simply don't have enough time in your hands to keep a close eye to a car, a Jap would be a safe option.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Trilogy.

I know the 205 is quite popular but anything that isn't Japanese will need some more servicing and attention.

Might do, might not - no guarantees with an older car.

When you're in a position where you don't want any headaches or simply don't have enough time in your hands to keep a close eye to a car, a Jap would be a safe option.

Not one from the 80's. If you don't have a nice dry garage to keep it in, you'll get up one morning to find a pile of rust on the street where you left your car.

With cars from the 80's, i'd suggest keeping rust at bay is going to be the number one concern. So cars from that era which resist rust quite well are going to cause less grief than something otherwise very reliable, such as a Japanese option.

The 205D mentioned earlier would be an ideal candidate if you could find one, especially a later example with power steering. That diesel lump would survive a nuclear war, but the petrols are fairly simple. Just go to Africa to see how reliable old Peugeot's are!.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Big John

As well as judging mechanical condition rust is the killer of many of these cars - some have been galvanised that obviously really helps but with age a persistent water trap will still rust badly eventually. Where body parts are spot welded to each other can be a fatal source of rust - eg suspension mounts spot welded to floor pan. Also beware crossmembers, subframes etc that are not rust proofed in the same way and I've found on some makes of cars that things like sumps can rust through!

If they do need repairing these cars can be a welding nightmare as the metal can be very thin indeed. I saw a mention of a Datsun 120y further up the thread - lovely engine / gearbox but a common fail was the steering box detaching because of rust! The Nissan Micras, Cherrys, Almeras all mechanically reliable but rust is enemy - beware the front crossmember that self destructs after a few years.

The Toyota Starlet seems to be rather long lived.

For 80's cars condition is all - sometime it is luck of the draw with the quality of the metal actually used when manufactured which could vary year by year. The good thing is if you find one that is still in really good condition after 30-40 years then you might have found a good one by default as the others have long since vanished.

Edited by Big John on 25/07/2020 at 11:11

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Xileno

What about an old Polo, maybe a MK2 if you can find one. Or even an early MK3. Tough as old boots mechanically, quite well protected against corrosion, although not as good as the 205 I don't think. The 205 was exceptional, I seem to recall HJ mentioning something years ago about how well designed it was in that respect, with no mud traps etc. for corrosion to start.

Cheap small 80s/90s Jap: Starlet, Micra, Sunny...? - Big John

What about an old Polo, maybe a MK2 if you can find one. Or even an early MK3. Tough as old boots mechanically, quite well protected against corrosion, although not as good as the 205 I don't think. The 205 was exceptional, I seem to recall HJ mentioning something years ago about how well designed it was in that respect, with no mud traps etc. for corrosion to start.

Agreed re Polo but as per my previous post some have better metal than others - Mrs BJ had a 1984 Polo for 19 years - mechanically fab and body was amazing re rust. My sister had a 1990 version of the same that was not great at all re rust. It was failing aroung the fuel filler, rear windows, wheel arches, windscreen surround, sills..

The only reason we got rid of it was lack of crash protection after our son was born - (this is a consideration of many a car of this era). Mrs BJ had a manovering speed argument with a low concrete bollard which stoved the side of the Polo in behind the passenger door. This actually pushed/angled my son's car seat to one side with him in it. Later when I looked at it and took the plastic trim off I slightly pushed and it "boinged" back out and you could barely tell anything had happened - However it demonstrated the total lack of side protection! Sadly it had to go.