Sporty Little Number - robZilla
Car buying time again and this time it's for SWMBO. She wants a small sporty number preferably Japanese such as Mazda MX5, Toyota MR2, Honda Somehting-or-other. Budget is £5K and I want something reliable and not too expensive to run but fun to drive. I'd consider anything up to about 5 yrs old. Am I asking for a bit too much for £5K. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sporty Little Number - DavidHM
Yes, if you want that sporty. You'd probably need to be looking at cars closer to ten years old to get within budget.

Managed to find a very late CR-X with a removable hardtop (a bit like a less sophisticated, more reliable 206cc) for £6250 but by 98 these cars were all but extinct.

You could look at a Honda Civic VTi which should be available, just, on budget for a 98. Only the three door looks remotely sporty though.

Suggest an Almera or a Corolla and she'll laugh. You get away with one of the last of the old shape Mazda 323s in the five door coupé bodystyle. Not Japanese but a long shot would be a Hyundai Coupé.

To get what you want, you'd have to pretty much double either your budget or your age limit.
Sporty Little Number - doug_523i
The local main dealer by me has a 23,000 mile, one owner, 1996 Mazda MX3 for £5,995. It looks sporty-ish.
Sporty Little Number - robZilla
Thanks people. I have found a couple of nice looking Hyundai Coupés on the Autotrader website.

Check this one out: atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/dpage_photoad.asp?ab...0

I'll try and convince her to go for one of these. Funnyly enough, I almost bought one if these myself a couple of years ago.

Any owners out there care to share your experiences of this car? Things to look out for etc?

Anyone else think the 1.6 might be a little underpowered?
Sporty Little Number - Vansboy
I like Hyundai, but, as I've said before....
see how young an Mx5 driver looks & how old a Hyundai driver looks, regardless of their REAL age!!

VB
Sporty Little Number - martint123
Trouble is, follow an MX5 with the top down and you get dazzled by the sun reflecting off the bald spot. ;-)
Sporty Little Number - Vansboy
I'll tell Mrs Vansboy to make sure she wears a hat in future!!

VB