hearing problems-headphones? - concrete

Following on from my charger question(satisfactorily resolved thanks to you chaps) I now wish to pick your collective technical brains and experience further. I am growing increasingly hard of hearing. Not deaf but declining. I am awaiting tests and possible solutions to the general problem but the lockdown has interrupted that process. The real problem is the TV volume. As usual SWMBO has hearing like a bat and eyesight like a hawk, or so she would have me believe. In order to hear the speaking parts I need the volume at 14 then of course the music comes in or a car chase starts and the volume is too loud. Even at 14 on conversation SWMBO finds it too loud. We already have other TV sets around the house but we do like to watch some things together. Ideally I would like some headphones I could use that would not cut the sound off to the room, preferably wireless ones to avoid trailing leads. Any advice on availability or makes and models would be appreciated as I am sure someone on the forum has encountered this problem previously. Thank you all.

Cheers Concrete

hearing problems-headphones? - Engineer Andy

Unfortunately, a significant problem with modern (21st century) TV programmes and especially films is the huge difference between the volume of parts of the broadcast or showing on DVD/Blu-ray. I think that the increased bass performance of speakers also plays a part, as does the general sound quality of the films/programmes themselves.

My 2006 LG TV has an 'auto sound levelling' feature, which reduces the need for me to keep turning the sound up and down as the talkie bits and action/high-tempo music bits come and go, but I still have to do this, just on a less frequent basis. The thing I find most annoying is how much more noisy films are than TV shows. Adverts can also be quite loud, especially if the programme being wtched is older.

I also think that TV and film music are dubbed over the rest of the soundtrack too loudly, especially films. Sound mixing isn't as good as it used to be, as regular complaints (on the likes of the BBC's Points of View) about actors 'mumbling' and background music being too loud prove.

You may find it helps to, if you can, alter your TV's sound settings - hopefully it has a graphic equaliser setting, so you can adjust it to favour the mid-range octave bands (speech) more than the upper and especially the lower (bass) ones. Some TVs have pre-set settings for such things. I'd keep a note of where all the previous settings were, just in case you find it worse and want to revert back.

I'm not sure if any newer-designed TVs, soundbars/systems have that auto sound levelling feature my TV has.

I agree Andy. The current disappointing state of sound recording is astounding considering the technology available. I watched a war film made in 1953 the other day and could hear every word clearly and the action didn't blast me off the chair, why can't it be done now?? We use a Sony sound bar for the surround sound and there is a choice. Theatre, Music etc etc and I have it set on the one both agree is the best sound for us. It also has Bluetooth for connection to other devices. I was simply after some wireless headphones for me to use and save SWMBO and occasional offspring from being deafened. I am expecting someone on the forum to have maybe cracked this one.

Cheers Concrete

hearing problems-headphones? - Bolt

The current disappointing state of sound recording is astounding considering the technology available.

its not the recordings that are the problem, its the way tv`s process the sound, ie, not very well due to the size of speakers now built in... as they make tv so thin, this means they now recommend sound bars or surround sound systems instead of using speakers on tv

there are several ways to use headphones, bluetooth through tv, soundbar and depending on tv- sound bar and tv speakers -or use a separate wired headphone through a bluetooth amp as I have, reason being the blue tooth headphones have limited volume so the amp does away with that problem

I would recommend Sennheiser HD450s bluetooth headphones that connect direct to tv almost instant pairing and you can either use tv remote to control volume or the buttons on the headphone, battery lasts up to 12 hours and charges using a mobile usb cable

hearing problems-headphones? - Andrew-T

Like many others, I suffer from presbyacusis, or loss of high frequencies, which makes sibilants and other consonants disappear from speech. I counter this by using the subtitles which are available on most TV programmes. I don't think turning the sound level up would help much, tho SWMBO occasionally invites me to, which I usually decline.

But there is certainly plenty of unnecessary noise on some programmes, especially where the background 'music' - which is presumably meant to tell you that something important or gruesome is about to happen - swamps the speech making subtitles essential.

hearing problems-headphones? - gordonbennet

Its the other way with us, my hearing is very good, fortunate considering the work i've done and the noise levels over so many years, whilst SWMBO loses higher notes almost completely, she can't hear song birds at all unless via a hearing aid, i would hate not to hear the joyous song of a Thrush or Blackbird every day.

We now use subtitles almost all the time, obviously these are useful anyway because we watch a lot of foreign language films and series ( much more interesting than the endless same format junk being spewed out by the normal English speaking film and program makers) and after a while your mind ignores those subtitles as part of the visual aspect even though you are obviously reading them almost sub conciously.

Certainly a sound bar will provide better clarity than those tinny speakers they fit inside slim modern televisions.

As an aside we now watch nothing from the terrestrial broadcasters so the current TV licence will be the last one we have.

I have doubts speakers will be fitted to tvs in years to come as the screen is so thin, I have an OLED which is as thin as a sheet of paper, the backing is Glass -the front is a plastic sheet- largest part is the circuit at the base

the sound has been deteriorating for years as the speakers get smaller about 4"x1" racetrack speakers they are called, to give extended base, problem is, there isn`t room for them to breathe properly and they are cheapo units

I already use a Sony sound bar, which is very good. It is the difference in hearing reception between SWMBO and me that is the problem. If we want to to watch TV in the same room can I use headphones for me while she can listen to the TV sound? Also is there any control on the headphones for volume? Not easy I know but the best possible solution is sought. Maybe my hearing tests in future may reveal some answers to assist me but even then good headphones will still be useful.
Cheers Concrete

I have doubts speakers will be fitted to tvs in years to come as the screen is so thin, I have an OLED which is as thin as a sheet of paper, the backing is Glass -the front is a plastic sheet- largest part is the circuit at the base

the sound has been deteriorating for years as the speakers get smaller about 4"x1" racetrack speakers they are called, to give extended base, problem is, there isn`t room for them to breathe properly and they are cheapo units

Saying that - ironically, the problem with modern flat screen (and thus have small speakers) TVs is that they are not good at producing bass tones, which should actually help people who find it difficult to hear speech on their TV.

The problem really is how the original soundtracks are mixed, with too much emphasis on the base tones - music, explosions, etc and not enough on speech, plus modern actors have less experience in theatre where annunciation and projecting of the voice is a must.

Remember all the moaning about (new) Poldark etc and mumbling actors/ovely loud music?

Having a soundbar might make it worse, unless the TV has a decent tone/graphic equaliser function and quality sound processing.

My Samsung TV is hooker up - just via a headphone (out) to split to a pair of red-white RCA audio cables - to my Denon mini hifi, which does have decent sound processing and tone control, and is hooked up to a proper pair of hifi grade speakers. The difference in sound quality is amazing - it actually sounds better when I listed via headphones from the hifi than via the TV's headphone socket as a result, never mind via the hifi speakers.

I still have to adjust the octave bands - especially on modern films and TV shows (especially sci-fi/action ones) where the music and sound effects drown out the speech. Old TV shows and films are just fine.

Saying that - ironically, the problem with modern flat screen (and thus have small speakers) TVs is that they are not good at producing bass tones, which should actually help people who find it difficult to hear speech on their TV.

The problem really is how the original soundtracks are mixed, with too much emphasis on the base tones - music, explosions, etc and not enough on speech, plus modern actors have less experience in theatre where annunciation and projecting of the voice is a must.

Remember all the moaning about (new) Poldark etc and mumbling actors/ovely loud music?

Having a soundbar might make it worse, unless the TV has a decent tone/graphic equaliser function and quality sound processing.

My Samsung TV is hooker up - just via a headphone (out) to split to a pair of red-white RCA audio cables - to my Denon mini hifi, which does have decent sound processing and tone control, and is hooked up to a proper pair of hifi grade speakers. The difference in sound quality is amazing - it actually sounds better when I listed via headphones from the hifi than via the TV's headphone socket as a result, never mind via the hifi speakers.

I still have to adjust the octave bands - especially on modern films and TV shows (especially sci-fi/action ones) where the music and sound effects drown out the speech. Old TV shows and films are just fine.

Thats because your using the pre amp -not the power amp which are not made for quality sound and why they use so much processing to try and fool you into thinking the system is better than it is...connecting to a hi-fi is the best way to do it without using a surround sound system

I was going to suggest to concrete the RCA sockets if fitted, be used to a bluetooth adapter to drive head phones- that way the tv speakers can be used at the same time, but H-phone volume will adjust on earcup and tv volume seperate

but I have no idea what connections are on the rear and not all are wired as you expect?, which makes it more difficult to work a way of doing it

Edited by bolt on 15/07/2020 at 13:23

hearing problems-headphones? - Joe-Alex

I'll gladly find you some headphones, but I need you to answer several questions:

1. What is your budget?

2. Do you need and/or want active noise-cancelling?

3. If you said 'yes' to number 2, do you need and/or want a pass-through mode? This will allow you to press a button and hear people talking without removing the headphones.

3. Do you prefer on-ear (headphones that rest directly on your ear) or over-ear (headphones that cover your ear entirely)? The former are generally less sweaty, but the latter provide a superior sound stage and ANC.

4. Is your current TV Bluetooth compatible? No problem if not, you'll just need to buy a dongle for it.

you'll just need to buy a dongle for it.

as a matter of interest, what type of dongle do you mean as tv speakers are needed as well as headphones- which a usb dongle unless things have changed wont work

Optical adapter or line out adapter (some are both ) will give both in tv settings and headphone can be volume adjusted at the phone....iirc most adapters need a usb power supply mine does..

hearing problems-headphones? - Falkirk Bairn

TV Sound is not really an issue for me - that said USA accents and other programmes where the actors mumble, rather than speak, can be a problem.

It's the dramas, films that are filmed in the dark - lots of action but it's hard to follow.

It's the dramas, films that are filmed in the dark - lots of action but it's hard to follow.

Televisions now, mainly the cheaper ones are really terrible pictures, as a lot use cheap panels and try to enhance the picture with the software and hardware and in most cases fail to do a good job, but then a poor panel is not going to look good anyway

It was rumoured OLED was for the chop due to cost of production, but as the market is smothered in poor LCD panels they have decided to invest in OLED and improve it but much cheaper than the old OLED

so in a few years or less we should be seeing a new screen at reasonable cost to beat OLED

Televisions now, mainly the cheaper ones are really terrible pictures, as a lot use cheap panels and try to enhance the picture with the software and hardware and in most cases fail to do a good job, but then a poor panel is not going to look good anyway

It was rumoured OLED was for the chop due to cost of production, but as the market is smothered in poor LCD panels they have decided to invest in OLED and improve it but much cheaper than the old OLED

so in a few years or less we should be seeing a new screen at reasonable cost to beat OLED

I was looking to see if I could replace my Samsung 23" TV (cost a whopping £410 back in 2006!) as it isn't 1080p (only 760p) and occasionally has a picture fault (otherwise a great picture for an [non-LED backlit] LCD TV) and not one on the market in the size bracket 22 - 26" has all the functions of mine and is (at least) 1080p resolution.

Most are still 760p, and those that are 1080p (I don't recall any being 4k) have only 1 HDMI connection (which means I'll have to continue to use my splitter box to be able to use my PVR and Blu-ray player; none have a swivel function like my current TV (why I bought it) - it goes on a TV stand with the hifi speakers next to it, meaning large screens don't fit, and I have to turn it round when I sit on different seats.

I'm just lucky that the poor speakers on the TV can be 'bypassed' by hooking the unit up to my hifi. No tinny sound and distortion.

Most are still 760p, and those that are 1080p

Not much point in having 4k UHD on a TV at that size, as you would be hard pressed to see the difference, unless your only within pc monitor distance.

but usually most people are a lot further away from a TV than a monitor, so it would be a waste having 4k, and most of the old Tv`s had fluorescent tubes for backlights until power saving was brought in, so they went LED which- in some cases didn't last as long as fluorescent but gave a better picture imo

hearing problems-headphones? - alan1302

Most are still 760p, and those that are 1080p

Not much point in having 4k UHD on a TV at that size, as you would be hard pressed to see the difference, unless your only within pc monitor distance.

but usually most people are a lot further away from a TV than a monitor, so it would be a waste having 4k, and most of the old Tv`s had fluorescent tubes for backlights until power saving was brought in, so they went LED which- in some cases didn't last as long as fluorescent but gave a better picture imo

4k is not just about the resolution - it allows for better/more colour as well as HDR

LED should last longer than a fluorescent tube

4k is not just about the resolution - it allows for better/more colour as well as HDR

We are talking old tv here not a new one, it would still be wasted on small TV below 32"

Depends who makes the LED and how often the TV is used, some LEDs have very short life, BIL used to fix a lot of TVs where the backlight LEDs have gone and had to be replaced or bypassed if they cant get them..

hearing problems-headphones? - alan1302

We are talking old tv here not a new one, it would still be wasted on small TV below 32"

Depends who makes the LED and how often the TV is used, some LEDs have very short life, BIL used to fix a lot of TVs where the backlight LEDs have gone and had to be replaced or bypassed if they cant get them..

How exactly would better colour and HDR be wasted on a TV smaller than 32"?

Yes, you would need quality LEDs to make them last but the same goes for a fluorescent tube - a cheap one won't last as long either -but if you get 2 good ones then the LED will last longer.

How exactly would better colour and HDR be wasted on a TV smaller than 32"?

Not sure some people would notice anyway, but colour bleed/over saturation of the pixels would tend to cause a bad picture, circuits are not that clever and the fact most of these screens are not quality screens anyway, not many are really much good and as most are now and have been made in china the panels are very cheaply made

which is one reason certain companies are investing in better tech to improve on OLED, as there are too many cheapo panels flooding the market which the bigger companies want to steer clear of. to keep ahead they need to invest in better screens

Check out new screen tech on YouTube will explain and interesting! which once developed will replace all TV screens eventually

Thank you Joe-Alex, very kind of you to assist me. Within reason my budget is quite high. I know headphones range from £20 to £200 on Amazon. I don't mind paying for quality and satisfaction so my budget would run to the top end of that bracket.

I don't know what noise cancelling is but it sounds a good feature to have, so does pass through but that is not essential.

The over ear would suit me better I think.

Our Sony sound bar is Bluetooth enabled and we have the TV speakers completely off. The sound bar has an optical connection to the TV. It also has a jack connector. The TV has a full set of connections. HDMI, a row of 5 jack points with red white and green colour bands, TV ariel and cable connectors, ethernet connectors. The TV is an LG about 4 years old.

It would be nice for me to hear through the headphones while the sound bar speakers are still in use for SWMBO.

All in all a tall order I dare say. I just wish I had sufficient knowledge to pursue the matter myself.

Cheers Concrete

All in all a tall order I dare say.

Far from it, problem was knowing what connections you had on rear, now you`ve told him he knows what to suggest....

hearing problems-headphones? - primus 1

I had exactly the same problem, the mrs moanin* that the tv is too loud, the radio in the car too loud, I found a really simple solution.....I got rid of the mrs...ahm.....

no not really, but I do have a hearing problem, especially with tv programs films ect, I’m due a hearing test but with Covid it’s been put back , where I work, ( care home) everyone is wearing masks and you realise how much you rely on being able to see people’s lips to be able to “ hear” them, as for headphones, Bose are supposed to be good for sound quality and noise cancelling, but I’m sure there are others you could choose

Thank you Joe-Alex, very kind of you to assist me.

My pleasure.

I don't know what noise cancelling is but it sounds a good feature to have, so does pass through but that is not essential.

Noise cancelling is a feature which attempts to remove the noise of the outside world from your listening experience. The microphones measure the ambient noise around you and then generates a waveform that is the exact negative of the ambient noise. This is then mixed into your normal audio.

Our Sony sound bar is Bluetooth enabled and we have the TV speakers completely off. The sound bar has an optical connection to the TV. It also has a jack connector. The TV has a full set of connections. HDMI, a row of 5 jack points with red white and green colour bands, TV ariel and cable connectors, ethernet connectors. The TV is an LG about 4 years old.

Good information, thank you.

All in all a tall order I dare say. I just wish I had sufficient knowledge to pursue the matter myself.

Nope. The only issue is in the choosing.

Okay, I've included two headphones which meet your criteria. The first is excellent value for money given it's features, and the second is a massive upgrade to the first, but very expensive.

Avantree HT5009

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MKBGH2V?linkCode=gs2&tag=headphonestyu-21

Price:

£110

Pros:

• Bypass mode allows you to have sound output to headphones and soundbar simultaneously
  • Excellent range
  • Feature-packed considering the price
  • No fiddly bluetooth pairing
  • Uses the aptx-ll (low latency) codec so you should have no lip-syncing issues (an absolute must, trust me)
  • Closed-back design minimizes sound leakage and reduces ambient noise intrusion
  • The base station supports two pairs of headphones, so you can add another set further down the line if needed
  • Excellent support (according to reviews)
  • 40 hour battery life (supposedly)
  • Small base station

Cons:

• No noise-cancelling features
  • Sound quality isn't the best
  • Limited sound adjustment features
  • Base station too small to hold the headphones when charging

Sennheiser RS 195

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/rs-195

Average Price:

£310

Pros:

• Uses a base station instead of a finicky mobile app to control your audio
  • You can adjust the volume for each ear separately
  • Superior sound quality
  • Speech Mode enhances speech while reducing background noise
  • Design in collaboration with IDMT (a hear-aid technology specialist)
  • Can support up to two pairs of headphones
  • Can store the headphones on the base station

Cons:

• Very pricey - Sennheiser is synonymous with market leading sound, built and design quality
  • I couldn't determine the codec used so there may be some perceptible lag issues (speculation)
  • Due to use RF, the headphones must have line of site to the base station
  • Larger base station

Shop around for the best price as I just used those given on the page I was viewing and you could probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

Personally, I'd recommend the Avantree headphones; they cost two-thirds less than the Sennheiser headphones while retaining a lot of the features.

Edited by Joe-Alex on 16/07/2020 at 03:04

And neither of them have noise-cancelling...*sighs*

If you need noise-cancelling, just message back and I'll find some others (I already have a couple of pairs in mind).

hearing problems-headphones? - Theophilus

Unless you watch TV while using a vacuum cleaner I'm not sure that you would get a lot of advantage from noise-cancelling ... its a real boon when there is a constant background noise, such as on an aircraft - but not so much in a living room environment :-)

Unless you watch TV while using a vacuum cleaner I'm not sure that you would get a lot of advantage from noise-cancelling ... its a real boon when there is a constant background noise, such as on an aircraft - but not so much in a living room environment :-)

They dont always work that well, depending on the noise in the room, more for low end sounds that would annoy but wont cut it out altogether

I have the Sennheiser's with NC, but dont find they work that well, sound great, though I dont often use NC- for what it does I dont think worth it, but thats me, everyone is different.

Well Joe-Alex I am impressed. That is very informative and easily understandable to me. If I read it correctly the expensive ones don't justify the price difference. The NC feature although desirable is not essential, especially with over ear headphones which cover the ear completely. I like the idea of SWMBO being able to listen as normal while I use the headphones, especially with separate adjustment for volume levels. I will look around for both sets and see what the market offers. Also I will talk it over with SWMBO. I don't think she will balk at the price if we get what we want.

Thank you again Joe-Alex. If ever you need advice on a construction project I am your man.

Cheers Concrete

hearing problems-headphones? - Andrew-T

If I read it correctly the expensive ones don't justify the price difference.

Just like cars, really .....

Just like cars, really .....

I have always found that SPL or sound pressure level gives a better impression of quality than anything else as I do with speakers, the higher the level imo around 110db to 120db for headphones is the better choice, but everyone has there own way to choose.

for speakers I normally try to find in excess of SPL of 90db plus, and if anyone remembers the JBL L100 Century's they were expensive but brilliant speakers, couldn't afford them myself at the time 70s were £500

hearing problems-headphones? - Penumbra

I have the same problem. I tried different bluetooth headphones but had lots of problems (lag, hissing etc) But admittedly they weren't the most expensive - I think Sony at £79 as well as a couple of cheapies. I gave up and settled on a pair of 5m single cord Panasonics for about 20 quid in the end. Luckily my Panasonic TV doesn't cut off the main sound with headphones plugged in so my partner can still listen at her preferred volume.

I have the same problem. I tried different bluetooth headphones but had lots of problems (lag, hissing etc) But admittedly they weren't the most expensive - I think Sony at £79 as well as a couple of cheapies. I gave up and settled on a pair of 5m single cord Panasonics for about 20 quid in the end. Luckily my Panasonic TV doesn't cut off the main sound with headphones plugged in so my partner can still listen at her preferred volume.

The lag issue stems from the codecs the headphones use and their ability to transfer data.. Look for ones that use the aptx-ll codec (they will use multiple codecs, just make sure it includes that).

Correct. The top end ones are more for those looking for high fidelity and using purely lossless audio sources (which TV doesn't).

The NC feature although desirable is not essential, especially with over ear headphones which cover the ear completely. I like the idea of SWMBO being able to listen as normal while I use the headphones, especially with separate adjustment for volume levels. I will look around for both sets and see what the market offers. Also I will talk it over with SWMBO. I don't think she will balk at the price if we get what we want.

Thank you again Joe-Alex. If ever you need advice on a construction project I am your man.

Cheers Concrete

You're welcome.

An update. I ordered and received the Avantree headphones last week. I waited until today because I had my ears cleared in readiness for a proper hearing test on Saturday. With fresh ears I decided to give it a go. They set up really easily and optically connect to the TV and the soundbar. You can have both on, or just one with independent control which is great. Just a plug in and push a few buttons and you're there. Couldn't be easier. The sound is really good and the small transmitter is unobtrusive. Thank you chaps for all your input and especially to Joe Alex for his research and suggestions. Happy bunny now.

Cheers Concrete

Happy to have helped.

hearing problems-headphones? - MGspannerman

May I add my thanks to Joe-Alex as well? Our bedroom is above the sitting room and our big screen that is hooked up to a rather nice hi fi system. If management retire early then I might take the opportunity to watch a boys film, complete with surround screen. Combined with which I am somewhat hard of hearing, I have a hearing aid, and get frequent complaints about the tv sound.

This piece of equipment arrived today and was so easy to set up. Sound quality is very good, the headphones more comfortable than my Sony set and it works independently of the tv sound.

Many thanks to the expert and his suggestion, a very pleasing result.

I'm also interested in the Aventree headphones that you chaps have taken up, thanks to Joe-Alex from me too and thanks for the updates chaps, sounds good.

Our issues are the other way round, i can hear a pin drop but SWMBO loses lots from higher frequencies and misses so much of the mumbling speech, so these headphones should improve her listening pleasure.

Anyway, our position is, in the bedroom we have a 2018 Samsung smart TV and same year Samsung sound bar, terrestrial TV of no interest at all almost all of our fairly minimal viewing is Netflix, sometimes Amazon or DVD, connected via an opitical lead, single optical outlet on the TV, from what i can gather from the advert it's possible to connect this Aventree device in between the two Samsung products without affecting anything? have i got this right please?

The Sennheiser budget isn't an issue as such, individually adjustable volumes for each ear, but whatever we buy it must be able to work independantly of the sound bar which looks like it might not be so easy with the Sennheiser (no audio jack connections on either Samsung device), so if anyone has any other recommends we're all ears!!...i can hear the groans now :-)

Is it possible to buy an optical cable that connects to TV out and has two leads so can connect to two inlets? would that work in the case of the Sennheiser.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/08/2020 at 10:08

Hello GB, the Avantree h/phones are very good indeed. The significant difference between them and say Sennheiser is not worth the money apparently. The Avantree comes with one optical cable from the TV to the TX unit then my own optical cable from the TX to the soundbar. The TX unit has a bypass which allows independent control of the headphones while having the soundbar to your own level. There is a facility to mate up more headphones to the TX unit if you both want a pair each. The headphones will last a few nights viewing before requiring to be recharged. I bought a USB to Micro connector cable and use my i phone charger overnight. It is simple to install and really foolproof. I can recommend them highly. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Cheers Concrete

I am not too into the technicalities of tv and sound system so can’t respond with any authority to your question GB. Looking at the back of the gizmo box that comes with the headphones, there is an optical in and out. So I guess, like me, you instal it near your tv, ours is hidden behind a photo frame, and then connect up. Power comes from a USB, the sound feed is from an optical in, using the supplied (short) cable and then Robert’s your father’s brother. Or at least in my case, it really was that easy.

with your set up I would think you plug your sound bar into the optical out, unplugging from the tv and using your original cable. A plan B would be to use the headphone socket from the tv into the similar socket on the gizmo box, again using the lead that is supplied.

so, in short I think you have got this right, i think it would slot between your two bits of Samsung kit. You could always order from Amazon, like me, and if you have a problem simply return it. It’s a great piece of kit, worth a go I’d say.

Thankyou gentlemen, that clears up connections for the Aventree unit nicely, no issues there then.

I'd still like to know if the Sennheiser model can be connected in a similar manner, somehow i have my doubts, reading up it appears connection is either by optical (ideal) or 3.5mm jack plug, well jack plug is out as unless its extremely well hidden i cannot find a jack plug on either Samsung product, and only one optical outlet on the TV.

I'm hoping young, or maybe not so young, Joe-Alex sees this post and offers his expertise once more, maybe there's another alternative that might be better for our situation.

Whilst i appreciate the Aventree is a good unit, and you are both pleased, it's SWMBO hearing issues with high frequency notes and the fact she misses so much speech under the clutter of other soundtracks that accompany films etc these days, for example she can barely hear bird song without a hearing aid, and the Senn unit being designed with various filters just might give a better result for her particular issues.

Obviously we make extensive use of subtitles at present, and we always will on some things we watch as we both enjoy the foreign made offerings found regularly on Netflix in particular, enjoyable getting away from the same old tired formats found in so many US and British programs.

many thanks chaps.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/08/2020 at 16:56

Gents, would this bit of equipment allow the Sennheiser R195, or similar, to be used.

www.amazon.co.uk/CAMWAY-Multifunction-Converter-Ex...4

or

www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Decoder-Converter-Optical...5

Senn can use either optical or jack plug input source, so presumably both outputs on this unit can supply relevant signals simultaneously?

Or would a simple optical splitter, ie 1 in 2 out do the job.

Obviously this is breaking new ground for me, so when replying please keep in mind i'm still mentally pushing button A after inserting 4d (or using a yale key as one did as a boy back then) into a red phone box coin slot...:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/08/2020 at 17:36

Sorry GB, these bits of kit and what you are trying to with the Sennheiser kit is not something I could comment on with any great credibility.

what I can say though is that my poor ear, badly affected by a viral infection a few years, also suffered loss of high frequency similar to your wife. The audiologist’s charts clearly showed it falling off a cliff at the upper end compared to the left ear,This is common with hearing loss in those of us of, err, more mature years. I remember going for a walk after having my hearing aid fitted and it was quite extraordinary. I could suddenly hear bird song etc that I hadn’t heard for years. Although even now the tv mumblers are a problem and those who have a “breathy” style of speech. In that context I find Emily Thornberry difficult to listen to, And not just because she is a smug, self satisfied hypocrite. The last edition of Any Questions on Radio 4, available on Sounds, where she spoke, is a good example.

Obviously you and your wife understand her particular hearing problem, and far be it from me to impose my views but her condition doesn’t sound too out of line. I certainly find Avantree worthwhile, I would suggest they are worth a try at least before getting involved in more complexity and expense.

All good points MGspannerman, i don't like buying and then returning if i can help it and still hope Joe-Alex might spot this update to the thread and offer some of his obvious expertise, if i know it's going to be a royal pita getting the Sennheiser system to connect and work in parallel to the sound bar even with a signal splitter or altering device of some sort at least i can then rule it out once and for all, more than likely going to end up with the Aventree system which both Concrete and yourself are happy with and hope it serves our purposes too.

I want the best i can do for SWMBO here, her hearing condition isn't going to mend itself any time soon.

Course it would help if actors didn't mumble their lines or the program makers didn't insist on drowning dialogue with a wall of other noise.

Whereabouts are you GB? If it is feasible I would be happy to demonstrate the kit and let you/your wife “have a go”. I am in South Hampshire, triangulate Winchester, Waterlooville and Portsmouth. Good hearing is so liberating, and so important for all of us. I am delighted to have a hearing aid, and if others think it diminishes me, then more fool them. I drive a Toyota too!

That's a most kind offer MGspannerman, very thoughtful, thankyou, unfortunately we are miles away in East Northants.

SWMBO has hearing aids but is always worried about losing them, hence they don't get worn as often as they should, we long ago (if we ever did) stopped worrying about what anyone else might think, now the ravages aches and pains etc of getting older have become a source of mild amusement for us, it's a case of waking up wondering which of the many aches is going to be worse today.

I'd like to be driving my Toyota, unfortunately SWMBO plus dogs makes more use of the room, so i'm reduced to using her Flying Forester for work :-))) oh dear how sad never mind...now you must remember who said that.

By the way, thinking of DVD's during this thread its been only a few weeks since my annual treat of the whole of tinker tailer soldier spy plus smiley's people serials, but its been ages since i watched Blott on the Landscape so that's going to be dug out in the next few weeks, i'm sure SWMBO will suffer that through her new headphones when we decide.

Course it would help if actors didn't mumble their lines or the program makers didn't insist on drowning dialogue with a wall of other noise.

Not that, thats the problem, sound systems apart from pre amp are next to useless and the speakers are even more useless, thats why when you buy a new TV they recommend a sound bar, though, have to say some are next to useless as well

if headphone base unit has optical just buy a splitter and opt cable, unless it comes with one, and job done

if headphone base unit has optical just buy a splitter and opt cable, unless it comes with one, and job done

Yes i'm hoping its as simple as that, maybe someone can confirm it really works like that for the Sennheiser system as easily as it has for the Aventree buyers.

Hello GB, my hearing is impaired in the higher frequency ranges, which is the difficult one to deal with apparently. However on my soundbar (A Sony unit which is now 9 years old) there are several options for sound output. Cinema, Concert etc etc. in the Avantree booklet it recommends which one to select for the optimum experience. You could play around with the settings as SWMBO listens and she might find a suitable setting on the soundbar, which should transfer through to the headphones. I don't have hearing aids yet but am getting that way but these headphones are brilliant, I hear all the background sound I never picked up before. Cars pulling away, doors closing, people talking nearby etc etc which all adds to the experience. Of course, as pointed out, if actors mumble or are slovenly of speech then the same problem exists for everyone. Even SWMBO who can hear a pin drop in a hurricane is annoyed by poor diction from actors. After all they paid to speak!!!!!

Cheers and good luck. Concrete

I don't have hearing aids yet but am getting that way but these headphones are brilliant, I hear all the background sound I never picked up before.

Many thanks for that Concrete, further reassurance its working well for you, we are now highly tempted by the Aventree model, not the least saving some £200 over the other some thinking to be done this week, we'll decide on which one at the weekend.

Ohh, schoolboy error, how do you adjust the volume to the headphones please? edit, i see there's plus and minus arrows on the base station, doh.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/08/2020 at 18:37

Apologies for the delayed response.

Assuming your TV and sound bar both have an optical input, I see no issues with using an optical splitter. Connect the male connector of the splitter to the TV, and then connect the soundbar and base station to the female ports on the splitter.

Also, make sure you get a splitter and not a switch. They are very different things.

And, as always, I cannot 100% guarantee that this will work for you. Given everything you've stated above, it should work, but one can never be completely certain in these things.

I hope this helps.

Please don't apologise Joe-Alex, grateful you spotted the thread again and responded.

So, the Senn's should work ok with a splitter, that's great and confirms what we'd hoped would be the case.

Going to be some hard thinking this week and we'll decide between the two at the weekend, you've got two happy chaps in Concrete and MGspannerman with the Aventree units, all i'm wondering at the moment would the Sennheiser unit be more future proof as it were should the good lady's hearing deteriorate further over the next few years in which case the extra cost now might have been a wise investment.

Anyway, that's for us to decide, much obliged to you coming back, thankyou.

Happy to help.

Regarding future-proofing; if your wife's hearing is guaranteed to deteriorate, I would go with the Senns. The only reason being is that the Senns allow individual ear volume adjustment would allow progressive adjustments as required.

If you have any further issues or question, just ask and I'll get to it as soon as possible.

As Joe-Alex said GB, you go with what works for you and SWMBO personally. The Avantree unit TX has the inlet and outlet optical cable connectors, effectively that is the slitting done for you. Pity you can't try both to see what happens. Good luck with your thinking. Incidentally I got mine from Amazon and they came next day.

Cheers Concrete

Another vote here for Amazon, as Concrete above. Not sure if your question about volume adjustment was with respect to the Avantree set, but there is a volume adjuster on the left hand earpiece. A simple rocker switch, up and down as appropriate. I am finding that even things I can hear pretty well on the TV are better with the headphones, I don't miss the odd word as I used to and no longer have to refer to management for guidance.

Thanks again gentlemen.

I think SWMBO is starting to favour of the Aventree unit, she'd want a proper demonstration of something costing £300+ before buying but that's most likely not going to happen at the present time.

Direct from Aventree it appeasr to be £99, with free postage if i've read correctly, another couple of days before we decide.