Towing Vehicle Help Please - Trell

Morning all,

I am currently looking to purchase a vehicle, My issue is my criteria and im stuck on what to actually go for. Here is my list of what the vehicle needs to do..

Tow min 2500kg

When not towing 35+ mpg

I do on average about 17k miles a year so need something reliable more so when towing ( horses )

Do not want a pick up as they dont suit me as im getting older comfort is becoming a nice idea.

In my mind I will use this as my daily and weekends the wife can use to go to horsey things and i know she and the horse is safe.

My budget is around the £12k mark.

In my internet research 3 vehicles stand out to me

2012 X5 msport

2012 Touareg

2012 Q7

I would love a Range Rover or Disco same age but the un reliability and the MPG put me off.

Look forward to all input as who better to ask than people who own the vehicles.

Thank you in advance

Regards Tom

Towing Vehicle Help Please - Avant

In your situation I'd have a Toyota Land Cruiser in front of any of those.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - RT

In your situation I'd have a Toyota Land Cruiser in front of any of those.

Will any Land Cruiser get 35+ mpg ?

The Touareg V6 TDi would be my recommendation* - in one survey it was the most reliable SUV - the Audi Q7 is "just" a Touareg with longer wheelbase, 7-seats and needs a franchised dealer for more of the electronics.

The Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento siblings have some versions which will tow 2500 kg and would be much newer for the budget.

* I have a 2016 Touareg, bought from new as a keeper, with which I'm delighted.

Edited by RT on 10/07/2020 at 11:45

Towing Vehicle Help Please - concrete

Given the budget a used Ssangyong would do the trick. They will tow that weight and engage 4 wheel drive when required. They come with a long warranty so there is a chance there may be some decent warranty left. Buy from a main dealership as they know the vehicles and you have some protection. My friend lives in South Wales and he reckons the dealers there are very competitive, but it depends where you live. Not sure about their mpg or comfort though so w test drive would be recommended. Otherwise a Land Cruiser as others have said, they are very tough vehicles too.

Cheers Concrete

Towing Vehicle Help Please - dan86

Given the budget a used Ssangyong would do the trick. They will tow that weight and engage 4 wheel drive when required. They come with a long warranty so there is a chance there may be some decent warranty left. Buy from a main dealership as they know the vehicles and you have some protection. My friend lives in South Wales and he reckons the dealers there are very competitive, but it depends where you live. Not sure about their mpg or comfort though so w test drive would be recommended. Otherwise a Land Cruiser as others have said, they are very tough vehicles too.

Cheers Concrete

The latest rexton comes very well equipped and can tow the 3500kg UK limit with ease. But I'm not sure it could reach 30mpg with out a trailer, its a very heavy car with a proper ladder Chassis and 4 wheel drive with low range.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - Theophilus

A German driver seems to have found another option - hope this link (safe!) is acceptable

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Odd-sights-on-French-roads-A-400kg-bull-and-tractor-caravan

Towing Vehicle Help Please - Will deBeast

>> Will any Land Cruiser get 35+ mpg ?

Mine never did. I got about 28mpg average (2007 auto). But it was very reliable.

I'd look at Sorentos and SantaFes. Auto would be best - the clutch is the weak point on these.

Or perhaps a pickup?

Edited by Will deBeast on 10/07/2020 at 20:36

Mine never did. I got about 28mpg average (2007 auto). But it was very reliable.

I'd look at Sorentos and SantaFes. Auto would be best - the clutch is the weak point on these.

Or perhaps a pickup?

Op doesn't want a pick up and I don't think either of them will get 30-35 mpg unless driven like a siant

Or perhaps a pickup?

Op doesn't want a pick up and I don't think either of them will get 30-35 mpg unless driven like a siant

You may need to drive like a saint on earlier Santa Fe's but each generation has improved their real world consumption - 35 mpg is a realistic average for the auto, more on the manualk.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - Will deBeast

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/hyundai/santa-fe-2018/22-crdi-automatic-4wd

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/hyundai/santa-fe-2018/22-crdi-automatic-4wd

how many of those are going off of the dash read out not doing brim to brim calculations and probably are driving like nuns?

how many of those are going off of the dash read out not doing brim to brim calculations and probably are driving like nuns?

My 2011 automatic Hyundai Santa Fe averaged 33mpg brim-to-brim over 54,000 miles enthusiastic driving - just below 30 in urban traffic but just below 40 on long runs at the motorway limit - the later models are better.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - thunderbird

Obviously not the owners who regularly complain about Kia's on other forums. 38 mpg seems unbelievable to me, more that we got out of a 2 litre diesel Mondeo over 3 years. We only got 44 mpg over 12 years in a 1.6 TDCi Focus diesel.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - S40 Man

How about a transit or pick up for the horse and a regular car for you 17k mileage. You can split your £12k into two £6k puts.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - badbusdriver

How about a transit or pick up for the horse and a regular car for you 17k mileage. You can split your £12k into two £6k puts.

I can't help thinking that two vehicles is the answer here too. 17k miles per year is quite a lot, to the point that i'd be looking for something capable of a fair chunk more than 35mpg!. But the need to tow 2.5t neccessitates a big and chunky 4wd car, and the potential need to get in and out of muddy fields pulling the horsebox would make me think fairly aggressive tyres would also be required. Which of course would be no fun on a lengthy commute, affecting noise levels, comfort, handling, and they will wear out pretty quickly!.

You say 'about' £12k, so if we could nudge that up to £14k max, this is what i'd be looking at:

For the commute, a Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC. £6-7k would get you into a 2014ish car with around 70k miles. They are very comfortable and refined, very reliable, spacious and exceptionally efficient (think 60+ mpg, maybe as much as 70).

For the towing duty, the remaining £6-7k would get you into a 2004ish Landcruiser, a 2008ish Shogun or a few other Japanese workhorses. Not to mention a couple of Korean contenders such as the Ssangyong Rexton (late first gen 2.7 rather than early 2nd gen 2.0). But also, if you went down the route of two vehicles, the pickup option could surely go back on the table, which would open up your choices a bit more?.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - Nomag

I think badbusdriver has it nailed here.

It will likely be cheaper overall to run two vehicles.

Firstly, you are not going to get a stable towcar for 2.5 tonnes that will give you 35mpg on your commute.

I have first had experience of this. Sat on my drive are three cars, where there were once two. We have had a 2015 Sorrento 2.2 diesel auto since 6 months old (current shape). It's a great car, generally very reliable but you are not going to get 35mpg day in day out. Ours has now done 70k miles, it had 1500 on it when be bought it, my wife used it as her "daily" and our caravan towcar until September last year. Yes, it will give 40mpg (just) indicated on a long run, but her 25 mile each way commute saw 33 day to day. You might do better with a manual, but if you want relaxed towing you really want an auto. No risk of ruining your clutch reversing the horsebox then either.

So, our Sorrento has been retired to long family journies/tow car duties and we bought a Nissan Leaf. See my other posts- we've now done 11k miles in it as my wife's commuter car. I looked at the maths carefully -yes there are two insurance premiums, two lots of servicing costs (although actually very minimum on the Leaf) but because of how cheap the Leaf is to run, this adds up for us.

Badbusdrivers suggestions look excellent but obviously your budget is limited. I would definitely get a Jap/Korean 4WD for your weekend duties- you want something as big and heavy as possible for your horsebox - our Sorrento would be no good, the auto is only rated to two 2000kg, you want a Shogun/Landcruiser.

Towing Vehicle Help Please - LittleGreyCat

I can't speak for the 2012 Touareg but our 2009 Touareg won't do the MPG that you are after.

However it is an outstanding all rounder and very comfortable. It tows our 2 tonne caravan without any problems.

It is also immense fun to drive for an ageing boy racer.

I only test drove against a Mercedes (very poor rear visibility) and two Land Rover variants on the same platform (alleged poor reliability and lack of power) but it was head and shoulders above them in general. I did like the Discovery but reports of lack of power put me off.
I had a drive of the Audi Q7 version but it handled like a bucket of jelly.

So from a very biased view I would go for the Touareg because MPG isn't everything!