Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - Andrew Courtney

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a larger family car as our current 2013 Ford Focus is getting on a bit but also is a bit too small for our needs - it was bought over a year before our (now) 10-month old baby was even planned! Therefore the Focus' boot space isn't sufficient for our Joie DLX pushchair and Britax car seat. The latter has meant the front passenger seat has had to go forward so much so that bascially noone in the house can fit in the front seat anymore haha

I've had a look into Mondeos, Insignias, Octavias and Seat Leons - both hatchback and estate but I'm still undecided what to go for. My budget is £12,000 which is made up of both a loan and Part Exchange on the Focus (have been told that trade exchange is £4,350 but am going to try for at least £4,500 as it's in near-perfect condition with only 44,000 on the clock. The Focus has also just had a fresh MOT which it passed without any faults or even advisories, as well as a minor service.

Ideally I'm looking for a car that will last us 5-6 years at least until we decide to upgrade again - e.g. plenty of room for a pushchair and potentially of camping gear and/or holiday bags.

So far I haven't had much luck tracking down many of the examples I listed above without resorting to higher mileage examples (60,000+) or going somewhere further afield to look at them (1 hour+ drive).

The bottom line is I'm looking for something:

- Not too old

- Plenty of space for baby things (car seat, pushchair etc.)

- Under £12,000

- Under 50,000 mileage

- Climate control would be a big plus but not essential, as would cruise control

Thanks in advance!

Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - Nessok

Mazda 6 Estate is worth considering. You can get a 3yr old example within your budget.

You didn't say petrol/diesel but Kia Optima estates only available in diesel are a lot of car for the money and within your budget. 2-3 year old examples are available under £12k and will have the balance of the 7yr manufacturer warranty.

Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - badbusdriver

As well as what you have mentioned, Skoda Superb (1.4TSI petrol unless you do big miles or tow), Mazda 6 (petrol), VW Passat (as per Superb), Kia Optima estate (£12k could get you into a 2018 example from a dealer, with 5 years manufacturers warranty remaining), and also the Optima's kissing cousin, the Hyundai i40.

I'd expect all the above to come with cruise control and at least a/c.

Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - badbusdriver

Might also be worth looking at the current Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Rifter/Vauxhall Combo Life (all the same with different badges), your budget might just get you into one. If you are not overly concerned about image, in terms of fitness for purpose, they are just about unbeatable as family cars.

Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - Ian_SW

If the OP liked and is used to a Focus, why not look at a Focus estate? The boot is much bigger than the hatchback version (which has a surprisingly small boot for that size of car) and not far off what you get in a Mondeo estate.

Also, an Astra estate is worth considering, on the grounds that they are a perfectly decent car and there's plenty around to choose from, and they have a larger boot as than the Mondeo Estata. It will be possible to get a much newer car of this "size" for the money than the Mondeo, Insignia which are the next size up.

With very young kids, legroom in the back isn't such a big issue as it's only when you need to sit someone adult sized in the back that the extra space in the back seats of a Mondeo, Insignia etc becomes useful.

Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - Avant

The Octavia estate ticks all your boxes: can you really not find one in your price range? Try for the 1.4 petrol manual (avoid the DSG), or (particularly if you plan on having another child in due course) a Superb estate with the same engine.

Alternative estate cars are the Ford Focus and Mondeo, Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis and Honda Civic and Accord.

There are also any number of MPVs and SUVs if you want to widen the search. Used French cars are more of a gamble, but people speak highly of the Citroen Picasso. If tall rather than long suits you, also look at the Skoda Yett and Honda CR-V.

It sounds as if your mileage is moderate, so stick to petrol rather than diesel.

Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - catsdad

The previous model Civic estate has been mentioned. However even the hatch is surprisingly spacious. We fully loaded ours up for four adults to the airport last year and hired an Octavia estate at the other end. The effective load capacity was the same, very good in both cases.
The Civic magic seats add further versatility.

When I changed the Civic I looked for similar capacity and bought a Golf estate. It’s a sister to the Octavia of course and a bit dearer but I was put off the Octavia Estate by the reported noise issues. I looked at the Focus but the boot space was less and adult legroom in the back was limited. Also the engine issues put me off.

Medium sized estates are a dying breed as SUVs dominate but most of these have not got the boot space you might expect.

Ford Mondeo - Large family car recommendations - daveyK_UK
Citroen Berlingo/ Peugeot Rifter / Vauxhall Combo Life

Will get a 1.5 - 2 year old 1.2 petrol model for £12k

Perfect for your needs , masses amount of space, nice enough drive, reliable and robust