Car ownership trends after lockdown - FoxyJukebox

I am wondering what long term changes/trends are coming re car ownership following lockdown. Many vehicles have done little or no mileage in three months and apart from fuel savings, owners have still been exposed to the usual maintenance/tax/insurance/depreciation costs.Not to mention the dreaded monthly repayments if the car was not bought with cash. A complete waste of money staring car owners in the face

With people working from home much more, budgeting for double or triple vehicle ownership makes absolutely no sense. My wife and I have one car which has covered little more than 20 miles since march. Yes-we will up that mileage as the summer lockdown eases but had we had 2 vehicles-I would have got rid of one like a shot. On the rare occasions we both needed to travel in different directions at different times, a safe taxi/bike/bus would surely do the trick?

Car ownership trends after lockdown - gordonbennet

There will be lots of factors affecting car ownership and how people go about it over the forseeable, anyone with a functioning brain who doesn't have an absolutely rock solid job should be wary about taking any committments on, this could be a good thing as it may wake up many who lived up to and beyond their means via credit to take stock of whats really important in their lives, ie family and the roof over their heads, and to view the trinkets of the consumer society thorugh new eyes.

Those with sense will be reviewing their situation, isn't there a song there :-)

Car ownership trends after lockdown - dan86

There will be lots of factors affecting car ownership and how people go about it over the forseeable, anyone with a functioning brain who doesn't have an absolutely rock solid job should be wary about taking any committments on, this could be a good thing as it may wake up many who lived up to and beyond their means via credit to take stock of whats really important in their lives, ie family and the roof over their heads, and to view the trinkets of the consumer society thorugh new eyes.

Those with sense will be reviewing their situation, isn't there a song there :-)

Were a 2 car family (3 if include the clasic in the lock up) no finance on either car. Both are good on fuel and we both have secure jobs with no chance of them going anywhere anytime soon. We both need our cars for commuting so one car isn't really an option as I start early mornings and other half does late shifts. But if their wasn't a need for two cars one would be gone like a shot as I wouldn't see the point in paying tax insurance ect even though I could afford it.

Car ownership trends after lockdown - mcb100
A regular comment from dealers is the trading in of two cars for one. I’m not 100% on the logic since public transport is not recommended to be the safest place to be, so how about a combination of one car and an e-bike, seeing as bike sales were up 60% in April?

Edited by mcb100 on 27/06/2020 at 11:07

Car ownership trends after lockdown - nellyjak

No change for me at all.. we need two cars at the moment and that won't change any time soon.

But we do have two ebikes as well....bought them over 2 years ago and can highly recommend them.

Ours are folding bikes so we can stick them in our MPV and take them wherever we fancy..they have certainly had a lot of use over the lockdown period whilst we haven't been using our vehicles as much.

We bought them for £800 ..for BOTH...now you'd struggle to get ONE for that money.

Car ownership trends after lockdown - Andrew-T

As most of you know, our two cars are aged 12 and 25. I'm not sure how the notion of getting rid of one 'like a shot' would be worth it, when traders are not selling much so presumably will not be inclined to buy. More of a buyer's market I suppose.

I have not even considered getting rid of one car, as (a) neither would fetch much and (b) if one fails the other is cover for it. In the usual way there are rare occasions when SWMBO and I need to travel in different directions simultaneously. Tax and insurance savings would be modest, and depreciation and running costs are close to zero.

Car ownership trends after lockdown - Terry W

The dominant reaction to the chaos wrought by the virus over the next year or two will be a reluctance to upgrade existing cars - economic uncertainty being the main driver.

Keeping existing cars is less of an issue unless personal circumstances force sale. If running costs are reasonable it may make sense simply to hang on to what you currently have until the fog of uncertainty lifts.

Other half has a 10 year old Hyundai I10. Only fault is non-functional aircon. Only does 2-3000 miles pa. Six months ago we considered buying new/nearly new - probably won't bother now. Not due to financial stress, but it seems pointless to spend £10k on a small car to replace that for which road tax, insurance and a once a year service gives change from £400!

Car ownership trends after lockdown - jc2

Heard a stupid BBC reporter say this morning that petrol cars would be banned after 2030 something-it's just sales of NEW IC vehicles.

Car ownership trends after lockdown - galileo

Heard a stupid BBC reporter say this morning that petrol cars would be banned after 2030 something-it's just sales of NEW IC vehicles.

Exactly why I do not trust the BBC, these days it is undeserving of licence payers money.

Car ownership trends after lockdown - Engineer Andy

The dominant reaction to the chaos wrought by the virus over the next year or two will be a reluctance to upgrade existing cars - economic uncertainty being the main driver.

Keeping existing cars is less of an issue unless personal circumstances force sale. If running costs are reasonable it may make sense simply to hang on to what you currently have until the fog of uncertainty lifts.

Other half has a 10 year old Hyundai I10. Only fault is non-functional aircon. Only does 2-3000 miles pa. Six months ago we considered buying new/nearly new - probably won't bother now. Not due to financial stress, but it seems pointless to spend £10k on a small car to replace that for which road tax, insurance and a once a year service gives change from £400!

Maybe the type of business to invest in now is car spare parts for older (10yo+) vehicles, given many people won't be able to afford new cars for some time.

Next things on the horizon to likely replace for my 14yo Mazda3 are:

Battery (No. 4)

Power steering pump

Front springs and dampers

A/C components and/or refrigerant (still on original charge)

Not cheap, but still far less expensive than a £20k+ new car, though that Fiat daveyK mentioned looks a bit tempting for half as much!