Testing a Corolla - Avant

I don't want a new car until next year, but it's fun to start looking around and making a shortlist.

For my needs (about 12,000 miles a year, lots of fairly short 8-10-mile round trips, mostly up and down hills, and about twice a month a 200-mile round trip) it seems that a hybrid or PHEV would be ideal.

The Corolla 2.0 has been well reviewed. Platinum Toyota at Trowbridge couldn't have been more helpful. I would want the estate, but was happy to drive the hatchback as long as it was a 2.0. They booked me out for 3 hours which was easily enough. I took 2 and a bit hours and did about 80 miles, including a stretch of the M4. Very impressed with car and dealer.

The Corolla was very good to drive: brisk acceleration although not electrifying. Lightish steering, which I like, and ride and handling seemed fine. 55 mpg (indicated) for the whole trip - as you would imagine, much better in traffic and on B-roads than on the motorway, although at only 2,000 rpm at 70 mph economy should still be quite reasonable. Infotainment not the best: it worked OK but I'm not sure I could live with the background colour, best described as Channel Passenger Green. I didn't discover whether there was an option to change it.

I was feeling good aboit it - until I got back into my 2.0 petrol Q2. A true test of a new car is that you should get a 'back down to earth' feeling about your existing one. But for a whole lot of reasons the Q2 is just that much better to drive, and not much more expensive than a similarly-equipped Corolla estate.

And I think I need a PHEV next time. The forthcoming RAV-4 PHEV will be of interest, and Toyota's 5-year warranty is a plus point.

Testing a Corolla - Zippy123
Thanks for the review Avant.

Toyotas are undoubtedly good cars but boy are they expensive! A Corolla estate is nearly BMW 3 series money and whist in engineering terms it’s probably as good if not better, cars tend to be purchased on perceived style -for all the wrong reasons and I guess more people will go for the BMWs

Very true, but sometimes also for the right reasons. There are two Audis outside, not because I'm a badge snob (with three previous Skodas to prove it), but because they hold their value. List prices are high, and I wouldn't buy one for cash, but the better a car holds its value, the better deal you get on PCP or leasing.

If by the end of the year the RAV-4 PHEV and BMW X1 PHEV are on sale, it'll be interesting to compare the deals available. That said, if Audi did a Q2 PHEV, I suspect my name would soon be down for one.

Testing a Corolla - _

It is interesting to read opinions of cars after test driving another new one.

getting back into a Kia after having the mg was a huge difference.

Testing a Corolla - thunderbird

Toyotas are undoubtedly good cars but boy are they expensive! A Corolla estate is nearly BMW 3 series money

Really.

The Corolla 2.0 design Touring is just over £29000, a lot of dosh I will agree.

But

A BMW 320i Touring starts at almost £37000 and then you have to seriously hit the options list for privacy glass, lumbar, adaptive cruise and probably more.

Both have auto boxes and just over 180 bhp. But remember the BMW cannot be had with a spare, its standard on the Toyota and the MPG is way less. Itsonly got a 3 year warranty as well.

Toyota seems OK to me.

Testing a Corolla - pd

Entry level Corolla 2.0 Estate is about £27000 list. Typical discount seems £4000-£5000 if you shop about.

Not sure there is a directly comparable 3-Series. If you want a hybrid it seems to be the 330e at about £40k list. The cheapest 320i seems to be about £35k. Both seem available with around £5k off.

So your maths confirm mine except I used the 3 series touring and you used the saloon.

So after discounts Corolla £22000, 3 Series Touring £32000, still a £10000 difference.

Testing a Corolla - Steveieb

Maybe the real test is with taxi drivers like in Singapore where a driver told me one had been driven 200k night and day with only a change of driver. Mean time between failures the life of the car !

same story here with the local Prius taxis ?. The pit stop is just for fuel and change of driver.
Can’t imagine any non Japanese brand being able to stand up to that treatment ?

Testing a Corolla - Engineer Andy

Toyotas are undoubtedly good cars but boy are they expensive! A Corolla estate is nearly BMW 3 series money

Really.

The Corolla 2.0 design Touring is just over £29000, a lot of dosh I will agree.

But

A BMW 320i Touring starts at almost £37000 and then you have to seriously hit the options list for privacy glass, lumbar, adaptive cruise and probably more.

Both have auto boxes and just over 180 bhp. But remember the BMW cannot be had with a spare, its standard on the Toyota and the MPG is way less. Itsonly got a 3 year warranty as well.

Toyota seems OK to me.

Is the Corolla similar size-wise to the 3-Series? The hatch version is probably more on a par with the 1-series - perhaps it's more of a boot-size thing. As regards the high price of the Corolla, I found the same as regards the latest Mazda3, especially in the 2.0 SA-X (180ish PS) version - around the high £20ks to just over £30k for the top model.

I like saloons, but the 2.0 in the Corolla is only available in the UK in hatch (boot's too small) or estate (best looking of the three, followed by the saloon), with the old 1.8 from the Prius in the saloon, presumably because they think it'll be more popular with minicab drivers.

Interesting your experience driving one then back in your Audi, Avant. I had a similarish experience when testing a gen-3 Mazda3 2.0 back in 2017 - it's not that my existing gen-1 version felt better, but that the new one didn't feel like it was 2 generations ahead, in either performance, handling or comfort. Maybe the gen-4 car will.

The Corolla is on my list with the latest Mazda3 and CX-30 (both 2.0 SA-X auto versions, so it would be interesting to see how it compares to them and my current car, plus any others that charm me - perhaps the KIA X-Ceed in 1.4T-GDI form, as it's (externally) a very good looking car, better than the quite decent ordinary hatch and the firm-riding sister Hyundai i30 fastback.

The X-Ceed might be worth a look for you as well. Not sure if KIA intend to bring out a proper hybrid version any time soon though.

Aren't the Lexus CT and NX due for replacement soon - both, especially the former, are getting a bit long in the tooth now. Looking at the UX's review on HJ, it looks like that was a bit of a disappointment, one of many (drive-wise) coming from the Lexus stable in the last 10 years.

Odd how the Toyota side of the company seems to have improved its product lineup more than the Lexus side. The Camry might've been a possibility (as it's a saloon) for me at least if it wasn't so big (and expensive).

I'd keep your Q2 until something comes along that proverbially knocks your spots off or the Audi starts to get expensive in terms of wear and tear parts or the reliability drops significantly.

Testing a Corolla - DavidGlos

There is now an XCeed PHEV, which I think uses the same 1.6 powertrain as the ‘normal’ Ceed. I do wonder if it might feel a bit pedestrian?

There is now an XCeed PHEV, which I think uses the same 1.6 powertrain as the ‘normal’ Ceed. I do wonder if it might feel a bit pedestrian?

It depends if that 1.6 is the old naturally aspirated one or the turbocharged T-GDI one. If it's the latter, then...not bad at all.

Testing a Corolla - DavidGlos

It depends if that 1.6 is the old naturally aspirated one or the turbocharged T-GDI one. If it's the latter, then...not bad at all.

Sadly, it’s the naturally aspirated unit. I guess they’re hoping the electric motor will fill in the torque gap, but it would have been considerably more fun with a PHEV system added to the 1.6 T-GDI powerplant!

Testing a Corolla - Falkirk Bairn

NX is due for replacement although a new edition appeared back in February

CT is no longer sold in the US for example but it is/was the Lexus UK best seller.

My DiL had a 2011 CT - 83K on selling, servicing, brakes & tyres. Average 50mpg overall but it was possible to get 55 with a light foot on a longish run.

Bought in 2013 for £14K and T/I value of £7K - so depreciation was £84 per month - cheap motoring - It was auctioned by the Aberdeen garage and appeared in a small dealer in Loughborough - screen price £9K.

The hatch version is probably more on a par with the 1-series

Having looked in WhatCar that comment makes 100% sense.

Both are roughly the same dimensions and the 118i and the 2 litre Corolla look to have virtually the same performance. Despite not being a hybrid the quoted mpg of the 118i does not look to shabby either.

Price wise I have been on the Broadspeed site and their price for the BMW in SE spec is £21298, the Corolla in Icon Tech spec £22804.

But the tiny boot of the Corolla hatch is its real problem. The 118i is 380 litres, the Corolla 313 litres.

Neither has the capability of carrying a spare so would never figure on my wish list.

The good news is that the Corolla estate can have a space-saver spare.

The boot of the 2.0 hatch is smaller than the 1.8's apparently because the 12v battery has to go in there on the 2.0. The estate has more room to play with.

One thing I could add about the 2.0 Corolla is that the rise in revs on acceleration isn't as noticeable as with the 1.8. And you quickly discover that progressive acceleration gives just as good a result as flooring it.

Edited by Avant on 27/06/2020 at 10:05

I had been told that the estate had a spare as standard so just had a look in the on-line brochure. Boy o boy, its complicated and appears totally illogical.

Starting with the hatch a spare is not available with the Excel but its optional on the Icon, Icon Tech and GR Sport. Its standard on the Design if you have the optional Panoramic Roof, presume the wheel is an option if you don't have the roof but it does not say.

On the estate its equally complicated. The spare is standard on the Icon and Icon Tech and not available on the GR Sport and Trek. If you choose the Design or the Excel the spare is standard on the 2 litre but not available on the 1.8.

I applaud Toyota for making the price lists simple compared to say BMW or even Skoda (the Fabia one is a total nightmare) but to make the availability of spare wheels so complicated is beyond belief. I will look on Wednesday to see if there is any physical reason a spare will not fit in the Trek since that is the one we are driving and look at the Design they have in the compound to check that does actually have a spare.

When we bought the Fabia I looked under the boot floor and was pleased to see a space saver, or so I thought. When we got the car home that space saver is actually a full size steel wheel with proper tyre. Its not the same size as the 4 road wheels but its the same rolling circumference and is surely far more durable. Skoda call it a "temporary spare" and charge the same £100 as they do for a space saver. Since it does not affect boot space I cannot understand why the offer the spacesaver at all. A few weeks ago I decided to check to see if one of the road wheels would actually fit in the boot well should we ever need to fit the spare, nice to know, don't really want to put it on the backseat. The road wheels are 215 45 16, the spare 185 65 15 and the road wheels fit fine in the well.

If Skoda can do this with a small hatch and still have a 360 litre boot why don't other makes try a bit harder.

When we bought the Fabia I looked under the boot floor and was pleased to see a space saver, or so I thought. When we got the car home that space saver is actually a full size steel wheel with proper tyre. Its not the same size as the 4 road wheels but its the same rolling circumference and is surely far more durable. Skoda call it a "temporary spare" and charge the same £100 as they do for a space saver. Since it does not affect boot space I cannot understand why the offer the spacesaver at all. A few weeks ago I decided to check to see if one of the road wheels would actually fit in the boot well should we ever need to fit the spare, nice to know, don't really want to put it on the backseat. The road wheels are 215 45 16, the spare 185 65 15 and the road wheels fit fine in the well.

If Skoda can do this with a small hatch and still have a 360 litre boot why don't other makes try a bit harder.

Indeed - an Down Under, a good number of the ordinary (non-off road) KIAs and Hyundais apparently come with full sized spare wheels and tyres. If they and Skoda can achieve that, a decent sized boot and fine on CO2/NOx emissions (I suspect the weight difference makes avery small difference to performance, mpg and emissions) without compromising on safety/security/practicality, so should every other car firm.

I also give Skoda and a few others a bug thumbs up for pricing their spacesaver spare wheel/tyre combos (fitted) very competitively, unlike Mazda (£395 last time I looked) - given that price can buy me a full set of tyres and still have change left over.

Maybe some makes need to (once again) listen to their customers and potential ones more often. Doing so could make a huge difference to their sales figures.

Testing a Corolla - Heidfirst

I had been told that the estate had a spare as standard so just had a look in the on-line brochure. Boy o boy, its complicated and appears totally illogical.

Starting with the hatch a spare is not available with the Excel but its optional on the Icon, Icon Tech and GR Sport. Its standard on the Design if you have the optional Panoramic Roof, presume the wheel is an option if you don't have the roof but it does not say.

On the estate its equally complicated. The spare is standard on the Icon and Icon Tech and not available on the GR Sport and Trek. If you choose the Design or the Excel the spare is standard on the 2 litre but not available on the 1.8.

I applaud Toyota for making the price lists simple compared to say BMW or even Skoda (the Fabia one is a total nightmare) but to make the availability of spare wheels so complicated is beyond belief.

It's largely down to weights to keep the car as sold new in a certain emissions & therefore tax bracket. You can buy the parts separately & fit them though.

The boot of the 2.0 hatch is smaller than the 1.8's apparently because the 12v battery has to go in there on the 2.0. The estate has more room to play with.

One thing I could add about the 2.0 Corolla is that the rise in revs on acceleration isn't as noticeable as with the 1.8. And you quickly discover that progressive acceleration gives just as good a result as flooring it.

Not sure about what's in the 1.8, but the 2.0 definitely has Toyota's newer CVT setup, which includes a real first gear before changing to the 'usual' CVT system, making acceleration from a standing start/slow speeds much smoother and less whiny, and I believe they've changed the software to make it appear to the driver the CVT is 'stepped' like a TC auto or DCT box.

I saw the car tested by the Youtuber Savageese from 2019 and the new set up in combo with the 2.0 engine was a significant improvement over the old 1.8 engine and box.

The hatch version is probably more on a par with the 1-series

Having looked in WhatCar that comment makes 100% sense.

Both are roughly the same dimensions and the 118i and the 2 litre Corolla look to have virtually the same performance. Despite not being a hybrid the quoted mpg of the 118i does not look to shabby either.

Price wise I have been on the Broadspeed site and their price for the BMW in SE spec is £21298, the Corolla in Icon Tech spec £22804.

But the tiny boot of the Corolla hatch is its real problem. The 118i is 380 litres, the Corolla 313 litres.

Neither has the capability of carrying a spare so would never figure on my wish list.

The small boot size is why I rejected the hatch versions of the new Corolla and the Mazda3 (shame about the latter - they finally got the hatch right looks-wise, looking very 'Alfa Romeo' in terms of styling [especially the rear]) and prefer the the saloon for the Mazda Much bigger boot space at 430L, no estate) and the estate for the Corolla (best looking in that range and obviouslya decent sized boot).

I regularly see a Corolla estate in my area, and it looks very nice indeed.

The lack of the specific space to carry a full sized spare has always been an annoyance for me on modern cars, now many don't even have the space for a space-saver, or that fitting one raises the boot liner an inch or two reduces the useful space of the main boot area considerably.

I note that on the previous (gen-3) Mazda3, which has a more shallow boot than my gen-1 car, despite the overall capacity being essentially the same.

I believe they've changed the software to make it appear to the driver the CVT is 'stepped' like a TC auto or DCT box.

The 2 reports of the car I have read say that its best to forget the "manual" feature that allows use of the paddles to simulate gears. To quote Autocar "the transmission does a poor impression of a paddle shift manual" and goes on to say "best leave it is auto".

Testing a Corolla - gordonbennet

The 2 reports of the car I have read say that its best to forget the "manual" feature that allows use of the paddles to simulate gears. To quote Autocar "the transmission does a poor impression of a paddle shift manual" and goes on to say "best leave it is auto".

No doubt some people will be able to use the manual input to good effect, others will be able to get the best from the full auto mode, i wouldn't be taking a magazine tester's opinion of what is best as gospel.

He may or may not be a competent driver, the person who buys the product and learns over time to get the best from it might disagree entirely.

Aren't the Lexus CT and NX due for replacement soon - both, especially the former, are getting a bit long in the tooth now. Looking at the UX's review on HJ, it looks like that was a bit of a disappointment, one of many (drive-wise) coming from the Lexus stable in the last 10 years.

Odd how the Toyota side of the company seems to have improved its product lineup more than the Lexus side.

The volume Lexus models are usually based on a Toyota volume model (e.g. the CT is on the old Auris) but usually their new/facelifts turn up 18 months - 2 years after it has been done to the Toyota.

Testing a Corolla - SLO76
I like these and I’ve every confidence they’ll prove as utterly reliable as the Auris which preceded it. Would I buy one new though? No absolutely not. To me you’d have to be mad to spend the guts of £30k on a small Toyota. But as a used buy in a year after it’s halved in value, yup I’d buy that, especially the estate which will be much easier to resell with taxi fleets eagerly awaiting sensibly priced used examples.
I like these and I’ve every confidence they’ll prove as utterly reliable as the Auris which preceded it. Would I buy one new though? No absolutely not. To me you’d have to be mad to spend the guts of £30k on a small Toyota. But as a used buy in a year after it’s halved in value, yup I’d buy that, especially the estate which will be much easier to resell with taxi fleets eagerly awaiting sensibly priced used examples.

My research and simple maths disproves this.

Firstly the numpty dealers on CarWow who appeared not to understand my request for a new 2 litre design quoted on a Oct 2019 (69 plate) so 9 month old 1.8 Excel, he wanted £29000 for it. They are £30010 OTR thus it would have to loose a tremendous amount in the next 3 months to meet your expectations.

Secondly a couple of mags I have read predict the Corolla Estate to maintain 52% of its value after 3 years. The same magazines predict a Skoda Octavia hatch (no info on the new estate yet) to maintain only 38% after 3 years.

I did a simple comparison of the cheapest new model Octavia (1.5 SE) which lists at £22390 and the Corolla Design estate 2 litre which lists at £29275. Hardly a fair comparison since the Toyota is an estate and better equipped. Could have added extras to the Skoda to match the Toyota but I never do that when I buy a car so not realistic for my original exercise.

Starting with the Octavia 38% of £22390 is £8508 thus a £13882 loss.

52% of the Corolla's list of £29275 is £15223 thus a £14052 loss.

You would only be slightly better off with the Skoda but after extras that would probably be different.

Take discounts int consideration, the best I have seen is about £1500 of the new Octavia reducing the loss to £12382 but seen £4500 off the Toyota which reduces the loss to £9552. There is a 0% offer on the Toyota currently as well so it looks like game set and match. Add in better fuel economy and he fact the Toyota will never break and it sgame set and match.

SLO, you have to look at the bigger picture rather than simply the ticket price so surprised as an ex trader you are so quick to condemn a car simply on list.

Go back to the 80's when Lada's were so popular in the mining communities. If the buyers had done their sums they would have seen an Escort costing 50% more would cost far less than the Lada over their ownership period.

I agree with Thunderbird's basic premise, but we perhaps ought to compare hybrid with hybrid.

Looking in the back of What Car, the Skoda Superb IV is expected to retain about 7 percentage points more of its cost after 3 years than the petrol or diesel models, so the Octavia IV when it comes may do even better. Similarly with the Ford Kuga PHEV.

I don't know how scientific these percentages are, and with new models like these PHEVs there has to be an element of speculation. But at least they're all worked out on the same basis so can be compared.

That said, I'd still agree that a Toyota is likely to hold its value better than, say, a Ford or a Skoda. The hybrid system is well-proven; the reputation for reliability is still high; and a 3-year-old Toyota still has 2 years of its warranty still to run.

I agree with Thunderbird's basic premise, but we perhaps ought to compare hybrid with hybrid.

Looking in the back of What Car, the Skoda Superb IV is expected to retain about 7 percentage points more of its cost after 3 years than the petrol or diesel models, so the Octavia IV when it comes may do even better. Similarly with the Ford Kuga PHEV.

I don't know how scientific these percentages are, and with new models like these PHEVs there has to be an element of speculation. But at least they're all worked out on the same basis so can be compared.

That said, I'd still agree that a Toyota is likely to hold its value better than, say, a Ford or a Skoda. The hybrid system is well-proven; the reputation for reliability is still high; and a 3-year-old Toyota still has 2 years of its warranty still to run.

Agree with all that but the Superb iv is still expected to retain less yet costs more. The Octavia iv should be cheaper but since its planned only to be sold as a VRS trimmed model that may not be the case.

Not considered the 5 year warranty, very good point and possibly why a 3 year old one is predicted to do well.

Just repeated the 3 year cost by including the car that is still probably top of my current wish list, the Volvo XC40 B4P R-Design. Its a mild hybrid so at least it has that in common with the Corolla.

Retail its £34510 and having looked at the options other than perhaps paying for a colour choice nothing to add, its all there. WhatCar give it a 59% residual after 3 years so it should be worth £20361.

Looked round the brokers and the best deal I can find is £31187 so a 3 year cost of £10826. There is 0% available and a £399 3 year or £599 5 year service deal both of which seem reasonable.

So not as low as the Corolla but less than the Octavia.

And I appreciate it will not be as economical as the Corolla but doing only 5,000 miles a year now the extra cost should only be just over £300 a year.

We had one for 2 days earlier this year and we both really liked it. Not the mild hybrid one I admit so need to try that version. They are only a few hundred yards from Toyota so will call in Wednesday for an update.

One of the things that might well sway a decision for one make/car or the other is the availablility of low mileage pre-regged/showroom ex-demo cars that have been gathering dust for the last 3 months or so, as my thread on COVID car bargains indicates.

You might be lucky in your area that another delership is desperate to flog some otherwise decent cars with amazing discounts which won't be available once the market stabilises a bit more.

I took full advantage of such a market fluctation back in 2006 when oversupply in Europe meant many pre-regged, showroom or unused hire cars found their way to the car supermarkets at ridiculous prices.

I nearly did the same back in early 2017 when, for some reason, loads of (higher) continental-specced (but RHD) VW Golf 1.4 TSi 150 GTs with delivery mileage only were being offered on Motorpoint for £17k (list price about £25k) - a whopping 32% off the list price and with higher spec (e.g. climate control instead of manual A/C and metallic paint included).

At the moment, I think that the dealers still are hanging onto such cars (Motorpoint, for example, has less than 3000 cars on it books - normally they'd have between 5.5k and 8k), so that might be a good place to look for some real bargains if you have cash to spend, especially when most people are hesitating because they are unsure about their job and the future generally.

Best of luck.

You might be lucky in your area that another delership is desperate to flog some otherwise decent cars with amazing discounts which won't be available once the market stabilises a bit more.

I always have a look round for bargains and normally find one, take our last 2 buys.

Nissan Pulsar, early 2018. I knew it was for the chop but that not stop it being a decent enough car. looked round the brokers and they all wanted about £12000 against a list of £18000. Went to our local dealer who has a Silver one in stock and after some discounts we got it for £12000 including metallic and a 3 year service pack (the Nissan one, normally £399).

Skoda Fabia, late 2019. Had been thinking about another Focus but decided to have a look at the Scala. When we got there the salesman suggested perhaps a Fabia would suit us size wise and they are more spacious than I expected. Loaned us a 95 PS TSi for the afternoon and we really liked it. But I wanted to try a 110 version and he mentioned he had a low mileage 18 month old one in stock. Went a drive and it was brilliant. Did a deal. Paid roughly £9500 for car with under 10,000 miles instead of the list which was over £18000 for car to that spec, very happy.

Don't think we will be that lucky again.

Edited by thunderbird on 28/06/2020 at 15:54

Yes, I saw those same Pulsar deals too (I was considering the 1.6T petrol top spec at around the £13k mark, down from around £19k to £20k). It didn't make it to my (then) final shortlist because I sat in one at the dealership and found the pedals to be offset quite a bit.

I think most people appear to 'get lucky' (pardon the expression) with cars re: prices once every two or three purchases - my first car, a 2yo+ Nissan Micra 1.0 S 3dr, was bought for £6.4k back in mid 1998 - that seemed like a reasonably price at the time, until my next (and current) much higher spec Mazda3 was bought (15 miles [del] on the clock) from Motorpoint in early 2006 for all of £10.3k.

I know that the £ has fluctuated and (mostly) dropped over the years, but I was amazed at how high new car prices (at least the RRPs) have become. I think that some makes must think most of their customers are mugs (maybe a good number are?) if they are willing to pay such high prices, or perhaps those makes are daft given how few cars they sell, despite the cars themselves being decent (Mazda take note).

The very high price of most Japanese cars of late has surprised me a lot. What's odd is that, even when taking into account the exchange rates, they are still far cheaper to buy (new) in North America and, to a lesser extent, Down Under. It can't all be down to the Glass Palaces (I mean, dealers in those countries have them too) and business rates, can it?

The high price (and with little chance of a meaningful discount) for the (otherwise good) Corolla 2.0 will certainly be a big factor in making my choice next time around.

Testing a Corolla - groaver

EA the majority of purchasers never consider the price of a new car these days. It's all about the monthly payment.

EA the majority of purchasers never consider the price of a new car these days. It's all about the monthly payment.

Probably right, but not for me. The only debt I ever want is my mortgage.

Even so, a car costing £18k will likely cost less on a monthly deal than one from a similar brand costing £30k. It's not as though Toyotas have suddenly started to depreciate less than they did 10 years ago, percentage-wise.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 29/06/2020 at 14:28

Me too.

It can only be the way for some to finance such purchases, however.

GFV by manufacturers/dealers can help keep a monthly payment down.

Edited by groaver on 29/06/2020 at 14:29

The very high price of most Japanese cars of late has surprised me a lot. What's odd is that, even when taking into account the exchange rates, they are still far cheaper to buy (new) in North America and, to a lesser extent, Down Under.

Volume of scale, specification & taxation.

“ Firstly the numpty dealers on CarWow who appeared not to understand my request for a new 2 litre design quoted on a Oct 2019 (69 plate) so 9 month old 1.8 Excel, he wanted £29000 for it. They are £30010 OTR thus it would have to loose a tremendous amount in the next 3 months to meet your expectations.“

What a dealer wants for a used car and what he’ll get can be two things entirely. I believe the Hybrid is overpriced and over complex. The economy isn’t good enough on any i’ve tried to offset the high initial cost over a conventional petrol hatch. It does add up with luxury cars however.

A three year old Auris hybrid can be had for around £12,500 which suggests a likely part exchange value of around £11,000-£11,500 tops. That’s a big tumble in value over three years to me and with the new model being substantially dearer I’ll leave my cash in the bank and continue to cash in on the losses of others by buying used instead of new. Over two years my current car has lost around £650. Yes it’s used more fuel but it’s still far far cheaper to own overall.
A three year old Auris hybrid can be had for around £12,500 which suggests a likely part exchange value of around £11,000-£11,500 tops. That’s a big tumble in value over three years to me

In 2017 a new Auris Hybid estate retailed at £22095. You are now saying that as a PX its worth between £11000 and £11500. By my calculations that is an excellent 50 to 52% retained value and pretty much exactly the WhatCar prediction for the Corolla. Yet you said earlier that a new Corolla would be worth 1/2 after a year, seems to me you are not as knowledgeable as you pretend.

I’ll leave my cash in the bank and continue to cash in on the losses of others by buying used instead of new. Over two years my current car has lost around £650. Yes it’s used more fuel but it’s still far far cheaper to own overall.

You may be happy driving around in a 10 year old car but I, like many, having worked hard all my life want some luxury and not some one else's worn out hand me down. With my 2 pensions, the wifes 3 pensions and my state pension due next year we are well able to spend as we like and considering that the last time I had a 10 year old car was back in 1974 (at the time I was a 19 year old apprentice) there is no way back. The last thing I am going to do is start worrying about motoring costs.

“ In 2017 a new Auris Hybid estate retailed at £22095. You are now saying that as a PX its worth between £11000 and £11500. By my calculations that is an excellent 50 to 52% retained value and pretty much exactly the WhatCar prediction for the Corolla. Yet you said earlier that a new Corolla would be worth 1/2 after a year, seems to me you are not as knowledgeable as you pretend”

I’m making a prediction based both on the value of the Auris and the £8000 increase in price on its new equivalent. The market will reset the value of this car accordingly and I don’t see it selling for much more in three years time so yes I’d say it’ll be worth maybe £12k in 3yrs time which means an approximate loss of £18,000. If you think this is an insignificant amount then lucky you to be so wealthy. Me, I’ll keep my money where it is instead of burning it in depreciation but you are perfectly free to waste yours.
“ You may be happy driving around in a 10 year old car but I, like many, having worked hard all my life want some luxury and not some one else's worn out hand me down. With my 2 pensions, the wifes 3 pensions and my state pension due next year we are well able to spend as we like and considering that the last time I had a 10 year old car was back in 1974 (at the time I was a 19 year old apprentice) there is no way back. The last thing I am going to do is start worrying about motoring costs.”

I am indeed quite happy driving around in a ten year old car which I find every bit as comfortable as it’s modern equivalent, in fact if anything it’s more so since the suspension is softer than most recent cars. As for showing off your wealth well I also can easily afford a new car if I do choose to pour money into a rapidly depreciating asset. I ran my own high street convenience store opposite a large railway station for 15yrs and I now rent it out for a good return while I earn a nice wage training new bus drivers and my wife is a teacher. I would rather spend my money elsewhere but again you are perfectly within your rights to spend yours how you please my friend.

I’m making a prediction based both on the value of the Auris and the £8000 increase in price on its new equivalent. The market will reset the value of this car accordingly and I don’t see it selling for much more in three years time so yes I’d say it’ll be worth maybe £12k in 3yrs time which means an approximate loss of £18,000. If you think this is an insignificant amount then lucky you to be so wealthy. Me, I’ll keep my money where it is instead of burning it in depreciation but you are perfectly free to waste yours.

Are you not prepared to accept you were totally incorrect to suggest 50% after a year? Even you current prediction is 40% after 3 years.

As for wasting money I do not see it as such. It is a living expense and having decent income I want decent cars. I could sell our current 4 bed house and move into a 2 bed one and save money on that as well but why, we can afford it.

Depreciation is a fact of life. When you were supposedly in car sales you relied on people buying new every 3 years to pay your wages. Did you try and persuade those people to buy a 10 year old car instead?

Try taking a Corolla you paid £30k in to see what a dealer will offer in a years time and I highly doubt it’ll be more than £15k. Feel free to try it if you so wish.

Sadly I’m finding this rather tiring now, thus the reason why I’m on less often. I don’t mind debate but it seems certain individuals seek only an argument and I’m just not up for it nor do I have the time any longer. I offer my opinion based on a lot of experience, it’s your choice to listen or not and on that note I’m away. Been a blast folks, stay safe and keep it on the road.
Try taking a Corolla you paid £30k in to see what a dealer will offer in a years time and I highly doubt it’ll be more than £15k. Feel free to try it if you so wish. Sadly I’m finding this rather tiring now, thus the reason why I’m on less often. I don’t mind debate but it seems certain individuals seek only an argument and I’m just not up for it nor do I have the time any longer. I offer my opinion based on a lot of experience, it’s your choice to listen or not and on that note I’m away. Been a blast folks, stay safe and keep it on the road.

I hope you do hang around, SLO, as a good number of us do believe and appreciate your advice. I understand you frustration, having experienced something similar recently on other threads. Keep plugging away (motivation is diffuclt in the current times were facing) - what you say matters and does make a positive difference.

Thanks.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 02/07/2020 at 10:54

Testing a Corolla - Trilogy.

Depreciation is a fact of life. When you were supposedly in car sales you relied on people buying new every 3 years to pay your wages. Did you try and persuade those people to buy a 10 year old car instead?

Depreciation isn't a fact of life. My main car has appreciated in value since purchase 9 years ago, there'll be may others the same.

No one cares two hoots about the number of pensions you have, or indeed the size of your house. Luxury and peace of mind is enjoyed by many with cars over 10 years, just ask my neighbour with his 15 years old Lexus.

Testing a Corolla - Metropolis.
Avant, if you are considering the RAV4 Hybrid, the obvious competitor would be the Honda CRV Hybrid, and out of those two, to my eye at least, the CRV seems a bit more premium inside. An Autocar comparison said it has a softer ride than the RAV4.

They also take very different approaches to the hybrid question, so it would be an interesting comparison if you manage to test drive both in quick succession.
Testing a Corolla - Senexdriver

Returning to the original direction of this thread, I was interested to read the findings of the test drive as my brother has recently bought a hybrid Corolla. He bought it a few days before lockdown and has consequently travelled very few miles in it. I was talking to him about it at the weekend and I gather he does not understand a great deal about the technicalities so it will be interesting to see how he gets on with it. The two things he said about it so far are that the electric capability is “a bit of a con” because it covers so few miles on electricity alone. I think he might have (somehow) got the impression that it would be an either/or choice of power source. The other drawback is the small boot space, but he appreciates that the battery compromises it. He did say, however, that it has a spare wheel.

I too like the look of the estate version and I have often considered whether my next car should be a hybrid. If it were, I would definitely want to consider a Toyota as they have been making them successfully for so long. I rode in a Corolla estate taxi in Cologne back in March. It was quiet and very comfortable. I had enough knee room sitting in the back (I’m 5ft 10 in old money) but the head room was a bit restricted due to the low roof line. The price at circa £30K is not far short of the new price for the petrol Audi A4 Avant I currently drive, but there seems to me to be a world of difference in quality between the two cars.

I’ll see how my brother gets on with his.

Your brother may have thought he was getting a PHEV. In fairness, Toyota have never claimed this for their hybrids (until the RAV-4 PHEV comes along later this year), although they make a virtue out of them being 'self-charging'.

But although non-PHEV hybrids can only go a mile or so purely on electric power, if you're driving gently and particularly in traffic, the car is running on electric power for quite a lot of the time. I think it says so in the display on front of the driver when it's running on electric: certainly you can see the rev counter dip to zero.

In response to Metropolis, I think it's a PHEV that I'll be looking for, so I await the RAV-4 PHEV with interest. I haven't heard of any move in the PHEV direction by Honda so far, although I have seen road tests saying that the CR-V hybrid isn't as noisy under acceleration as the RAV-4. (The 2.0 Corolla is much quieter than either the 1.8 Corolla or the 2.5 RAV-4.)

Generally, the more your motoring is done in towns and suburbs, the more an ordinary hybrid will suit you.

Edited by Avant on 29/06/2020 at 23:36

Try taking a Corolla you paid £30k in to see what a dealer will offer in a years time and I highly doubt it’ll be more than £15k. Feel free to try it if you so wish.

Obviously cannot do that at present, do not own one but I have done what you normally do and looked on Autotrader for examples.

Found a July 2019 (19 plate) White 2 litre design tourer (exactly the modeI would buy) with 6597 miles. its exactly a year old. Its for sale at £23495 at a main dealer. I then put the plate into WeBuyAnyCar and the offer came back as £17500. As we all know they normally quote less than any other buyer out there but in the absence of other quotes that is not £15000.

But unless the car was a total lemon I would not be selling one after a year so for me its not a worry that a car depreciates at its worst in the first year. It levels out after that and to me 50% still looks feasible after 3 years especially since hybrids are probably going to far more in demand than diesels or even clean petrols in the future.

He bought it a few days before lockdown and has consequently travelled very few miles in it

And that is why its will not do many miles on the battery alone. Its not fully charged. But you do not say if its a 1.8 or 2 litre. The 1.8 only has a token battery in the car whereas the battery in the 2 litre is twice the capacity. Not 100% certain but if its a 1.8 the speed at which the petrol engine cuts in is pretty low whereas in the 2 litre with a fully charged battery 70mph is said to be possible.

But with no facility to charge the battery overnight your previous days use will always determine how much charge it has thus its ability to run on electric alone.

Testing a Corolla - John F

Hybrids have transformed horticulture, but I can't help feeling that with their weighty dual power systems they are a dead-end branch of the automotive evolutionary tree. If so, they will depreciate faster than an orange Maserati.

If you are getting dissatisfied with your Q2, Avant, have you considered a Peugeot 2008? They are much the same size.

Not dissatisfied John - far from it. It's one of the best cars I've had.

But for my needs a PHEV would be ideal. That said, to make sense for me as a private buyer (a) they need to cost not too much more than the equivalent petrol or diesel; and (b) they need to hold their value better, to make up for the extra initial cost.

At the moment they seem likely to, judging by the 'percentage after 3 years' figures in the What Car tables. But you may be right in the long term: it's too early to say.

If I end up with another petrol Q2, or indeed keep this one, you'll be able to say with Yorkshire glee 'I told you so'. :)

Testing a Corolla - Catfood

I’m interested in RAV4 PHEV but it’s a tad expensive….My friend in Japan wanted to buy one, his local Toyota dealer quoted expected delivery of April 2021. He’s lucky one as Toyota now stopped taking order as supply can’t meet demand. Not sure if it’s the same for the UK market. I bet European RAV4 manufactured in St Petersburg in Russia…..

I bet European RAV4 manufactured in St Petersburg in Russia…..

The ones for the UK are built in Japan.

& now people will also have the option of the Suzuki Across (rebadged RAV4)

Testing a Corolla - daveyK_UK
Suzuki will be selling a re bagged made in Britain Corolla Hybrid at the start of next year but it will only have a 3 year/60k Suzuki warranty (Toyota is 5 years or 100k) but will be considerably cheaper.

They will also sell a petrol model.

I have read on another forum the petrol models will be limited to 2,500 per year In the UK (slightly modest figures IMO) where as the hybrid model will be available in considerably higher volume
Testing a Corolla - Catfood

Cool.....That's another reason to buy one then.....I just checked the Suzuki version....OMG....It's exactly the same as RAV4. They only swapped the badges, nothing more......

Edited by groaver on 02/07/2020 at 15:34

"....seems to me you are not as knowledgeable as you pretend."

This comment (further upthread) is offensive, and has had the effect of discouraging one of our most valuable and helpful contributors from continuing to give us (freely) the benefit of his experience.

I have been criticised for being too lenient in the past. The right of free speech is important on a forum like this, but there have to be limits.

If we get comments like this again, I will simply disable the account of the person wh makes them and continue to do so if they come back under a new Email address and re-offend.

Testing a Corolla - Hugh Watt

Hi Avant - as a regular reader and very occasional poster, I appreciate SLO76's contributions as much as anybody here. But I think we're all grown up enough to mentally filter out the (happily infrequent) more unpleasant postings on here, such as the one at issue in this case. It's sour and ad hominem - but is it really offensive? Let's just hold our collective nose, in the name of free speech.

Just my take on it - meant constructively!

Edited by Slow Eddie on 02/07/2020 at 16:25

Testing a Corolla - bazza

I do hope you can persuade SLO to return, Avant, his knowledge is invaluable and contributers like that are few on forums. This was a great thread looking at differing views of car ownership until it became unnecessarily rude, personal and pedantic. I hope I speak for 99.9 % of us that SLO s contribution has probably saved huge amounts of money and hassle for many of the readers of this forum.

Testing a Corolla - John F

I do hope you can persuade SLO to return, Avant, his knowledge is invaluable and contributers like that are few on forums. This was a great thread looking at differing views of car ownership until it became unnecessarily rude, personal and pedantic. I hope I speak for 99.9 % of us that SLO s contribution has probably saved huge amounts of money and hassle for many of the readers of this forum.

I would have thought an emeritus car salesman such as SLO would have developed a skin more than thick enough to deflect such a relatively inoffensive barb which barely crossed the line from snide to insulting. As regulars might remember, I have endured (and often been amused by) far worse but - like it or not - I'm still here!

So as planned we went to test the Corolla Estate 2 litre yesterday.

Got hopelessly lost driving there, as expected major roadworks but no diversions were signposted to our destination. After about 10 minutes I spotted a sign for "away football traffic" so I took a punt knowing that the stadium is not far form the dealers, bingo, found it.

Usual bull from the salesman which took up an hour and then to the drive. Since I was aware of the roadworks he had agreed to programme a route into the satnav for us to drive, guess what, he hadn't. We had no map and neither did he. Simply told us to head out for the ring road and etc then eventually take a left into the city (there were several apparently depending how far we wanted to drive) and then follow the sign back to the retail park. Got hopelessly lost again, never saw a sign for the ring road but more by luck than judgement found a decent dual carriageway and eventually did a U turn at a roundabout and headed back into the city, probably 20 minutes/15 miles.

The car drove really well, I set it on "sport" (did take prints off the handbook I had downloaded) plus it went into EV mode at every available opportunity seamlessly even at 70+ on the dual carriageway. The ride was great even on the 45 profile tyres and it was quiet. The seats were comfortable. Giving it some right foot resulted in the usual CVT increase in revs but even on a steepish incline the most I saw was 4000 and as the speed increased the revs quickly dropped back so more full marks, almost, the engine note was coa*** at 4000 revs, even the 3 cylinder Fabia is nicer in this respect.

My main issue was pain in my right foot but I said nothing and put it down to the fact I was still recovering from the break in May although I should add I have not had any issues in either of our cars since I got back behind the wheel last week.

The wife was next to drive, she went on exactly the same route and had no issues although she did comment that she found the XC40 felt more "familiar" after a couple of minutes. On the way back she started fidgeting and said she had some pain in her right foot, so much for me thinking it was my accident. Told her I had the same issue and we agreed we needed to think more about this.

Back at the dealership the salesman was very keen to do "the best deal ever" if we agreed there and then but he quickly saw we were not interested in his usual sales patter. He did agree that he would loan us a car for a longer period in a couple of weeks time (give my ankle chance to recover more ) for us to see if we could both get comfortable.

At that point he let himself down by saying that the 2 litre was not available in Icon and Icon Plus trim (but it is on the current pricelist I downloaded last week) and then he said that the Trek we drove is a four wheel drive car, it most certainly isn't. Just shows salesman are mostly idiots or liars, sometimes both.

Couple more points about the car, space in the rear is OK (nowhere near that of the Pulsar) but not exceptional and access is poor through the smallish back doors. And who at Toyota thought it a good idea to put plastic wood trim on the dash of the Trek version, looks as naff and chav as a 1960's cocktail cabinet.

So is it the car for us, probably not. It did not look like or make me feel like it was a £29,000 especially inside. The plastics high up on the dash are fine but those lower down and most of the doors and console are of the hard variety, no different from the Pulsar in all honesty.

But a note about the hatch. We had a quick look in one to check out the Design trim, yipee no naff fake wood. But the rear space was less and the boot space definitely less, no better space wise than our Fabia which in truth has a bigger boot. A Scala would totally knock it for six and would probably be nearly as economical in the real world. Anyone buying the hatch would be mad.

So my marks for the 2 litre estate, 6 out of 10. Needs better trim and some engine work IMHO before it can really be a class leader against cars such as the Focus and Octavia (neither of which I have driven) but in terms of showroom appeal both smash it out of the ground. Since both get tops marks for driving as well and are far cheaper at brokers that 50% residual after 3 years whilst a nice feature (along with the 5 year warranty) is not enough to make me write a cheque.

Are we going back for that extended test drive, don't think so, too much hassle getting there for starters to just end up with an aching foot each.

Thanks very much Thunderbird for such a full report.

I'd give the Toyota slightly higher marks - maybe 7.5 out of 10 - perhaps because I didn't get an aching right foot, even after 2 hours. That would have been a big minus point. I always have the driving seat near to its highest position which may help. But in truth I prefer a generally higher driving position, so I'm more likely to go for another SUV, unless the forthcoming Octavia IV is something really special.

The one I tried was an Excel. The next one down, the Design, has most of what one would want so it would depend on the deal available. I couldn't see any point in the Trek unless you want to look butch, as it's still only 2WD as you say.

I think most if not all hybrids, EVs and PHEVs have good residual values at least at the moment, A big change from only a few years ago when EVs like the Nissan Leaf dropped like a stone.

So yes, the Corolla estate is a strong contender if you're looking for a smallish estate. But you'd need to do the sums very carefully comparing it with the Fabia estate with that excellent 1.0 115 bhp engine, and costing (new) about £10,000 less. And as you found, the Fabia is also good value buying used or nearly-new.

I'd give the Toyota slightly higher marks - maybe 7.5 out of 10 - perhaps because I didn't get an aching right foot, even after 2 hours. That would have been a big minus point.

I would consider the loss of 1.5 points for both of us having foot pain to be less than I should have given it. If 7.5 is all you give it with no real issues perhaps my mark should have been nearer 5.

But you'd need to do the sums very carefully comparing it with the Fabia estate with that excellent 1.0 115 bhp engine, and costing (new) about £10,000 less.

Not considering a Fabia estate and never said I was. The Fabia is an excellent car but for us its a 2nd car. For the main car we want something far more special and the Corolla's does not meet that requirement.

Waiting for a call back from Volvo currently, the XC40 is in pole position again but need to check access for the Mrs especially on the passenger side which is where she has most difficulty.

What I always find odd is how some people can almost fall into a car and find a comforable seating position in no time, even when they aren't a regular driver, and others, like me, have to fiddle for ages before getting something that suits.

It took me a month of daily driving to find the most comfortable seat and steering wheel setting on my current car. Well, at least i know what to possibly expect if I look at the Corolla.

I still find it a real shame that Mazda never have done an estate version of the Mazda3, especially as the current car is in my view the best looking in its class, including the interior. I always admired the styling of the (previous) Seat Leon, especially in 3dr form, but the estate version has grown on me, rather like with the Corolla.

Those prices indeed look rather steep. I might in the end buy a supermini and just hire a bigger car if and when I need it for holiday with the golf stuff, etc.

What I always find odd is how some people can almost fall into a car and find a comforable seating position in no time, even when they aren't a regular driver, and others, like me, have to fiddle for ages before getting something that suits.

The last time I had a problem finding a comfortable driving position was in a 1998 Peugeot 206. Exactly the same issue as the Corolla, aching right foot after a very short distance, did not buy it.

Before and since never had a single issue and both myself and the wife usually drop strait into a car and get comfy. I an 5'9", she is 5'4" and the only changes we have to make is she always has the steering wheel in and up (I have it out and down) and she has the seat much further forward. No changes to the seat height or rake are needed, once she gets comfy they are fine for me.

Someone said on here the other day that the Pulsar had offset pedals which put them off the car but we have not an an issue, until I read it I never even thought about it.

Those prices indeed look rather steep. I might in the end buy a supermini and just hire a bigger car if and when I need it for holiday with the golf stuff, etc.

We had considered that in the past but having seen the battering some hire cars get it worried us we would get one with hidden issues and have a ruined holiday.

The last time I had a problem finding a comfortable driving position was in a 1998 Peugeot 206. Exactly the same issue as the Corolla, aching right foot after a very short distance, did not buy it.

Before and since never had a single issue and both myself and the wife usually drop strait into a car and get comfy. I an 5'9", she is 5'4" and the only changes we have to make is she always has the steering wheel in and up (I have it out and down) and she has the seat much further forward. No changes to the seat height or rake are needed, once she gets comfy they are fine for me.

Someone said on here the other day that the Pulsar had offset pedals which put them off the car but we have not an an issue, until I read it I never even thought about it.

It could be that some people, like me, have relatively 'long bodies', but slightly shorter than average (for my height) arms and legs. I think what helped me on my Mazda3 get comfortable (eventually) compared to my old car, a mid 90s Micra, was that the later car had reach (especially) and lumbar adjustment on the steering column and seat respectively.

I didn't realise for an entire year that my back troubles were caused by my seat being too far away from the pedals in the Micra. One notch (half an inch) closer and...much better. I did have to get used to being closer to the steering wheel.

I always make sure any car I consider doesn't have offset pedals. The Pulsar was one that failed the test; additionally, the ar HAS to have a proper left foot rest, and thus the Volvo V40 was out (odd for a Volvo to have such poor ergonomics, given it had the space for a foot rest).

Some people can seemingly get by despite those issues. Maybe they have more supple bodies.

We had considered that in the past but having seen the battering some hire cars get it worried us we would get one with hidden issues and have a ruined holiday.

That is a concern of mine, including being stiffed by the hire firm for faults that mysteriously appear (dents, scratches, etc) after the car is returned. Not helped by me mostly going on holiday to Cornwall with its narrow country lanes and potholes.

On the up side, as I mostly do lower-than-average annual mileage (but very few short trips), I could get a petrol-engined car for daily use and a diesel for holiday, handy for the long drive on the motorways and lugging the extra weight in the boot.

A proper hybrid like Corolla would be of less use, but in estate form would be hand for me for the occasional lugging around of boxes or stuff going to the recycling centre.

It's also why I'm also looking at the C-sector based SUVs like the Mazda CX-30, which do have decent sized boots as well. I still prefer the 'traditional' cars as they handle better than the equivalent SUVs due to their lower centre of gravity, and they do offer slightly better mpg and performance (given the same engine spec) because of their shape.

At least Toyota are improving their ICE/phone interface, as the previous versions did not work well compared to other makes.