Any - Buying British? - Halmerend
Just heard that 1 in 6 jobs in the car industry are at risk.

Made me think, if I’m in the market for a new car, which make and/or model should I invest my money in to help the industry and help protect British jobs?
Any - Buying British? - RT

Nissan, Toyota, land-Rover or Jaguar - unless you're wealthy and then you have a choice of Bentley, Rolls-Royce and Aston-Martin - none of them British-owned of course - you could buy a Morgan but that has considerable BMW content.

Any - Buying British? - Chris M

Or Mini or Astra. But any car assembled in the UK will have parts sourced from around the world. So a Ford assembled in Germany may have a UK engine.

I would also question the use of the word 'invest'. If I invest in something I'd hope to have a reasonable chance of making a profit. Very few cars will do that.

I stand corrected. For ‘invest in’ please read ‘waste my money on’.
Any - Buying British? - Falkirk Bairn

Morgan is now Italian owned .

The chassis on the latest models are aluminium,made somewhere else, engine & gearbox is BMW - the coachwork (wood structure), panel making, etc etc final assembly is in Malvern

Any - Buying British? - Metropolis.
You will not find much patriotism on here I am afraid. Most buy Japanese or german with the excuse that British companies are foreign owned anyway and will take every opportunity to have a pop at British manufacturers with the idea they will break down permanently.

It depends on your budget and what you want, but mainstream models all that is left is Jaguar and Land Rover.
Any - Buying British? - John F

Choose one with a reputation for unreliability and high service and repair costs. This will help the British garage industry.

Lol.

Edited by Metropolis. on 23/06/2020 at 08:43

Any - Buying British? - gordonbennet

My money would be on a car at least assembled in the UK where the maker offers a standard 5 year (extendable) warranty and has a reputation for standing by their reliable product and the customer too, that narrows the field down considerably.

A bit late in the day for this by the way, i was one of many who found ourselves increasingly ridiculed and alone when we insisted decades ago in buying British only, my final straw was when i wished to buy a new microwave oven, searched high and low for a Brit made and finally found a Belling with Union Flag sticker prominent on the front, only to find the inevitable made in China label on the back....that and Rover/BL whatever they were called at the trime sticking the Union Flag on the back of the dreadful Indian made City Rover, a car that was falling apart as we delivered the things...compounding that treachery by dumping Honda arguably the best thing ever to happen to our national car maker.

Respect to you for trying to do your bit despite all that has happened in the intervening years, i long ago gave up and now it's Japanese only for me hence why i'd do both you and the Burnaston factory a favour by buying a Brit made ( with Japanese reliability and attention to build quality) Toyota.

I drove car transporters for many years, and can assure you that the attention to QC at both Toyota and Honda factories and import sites is in a different class to some others past and present, i never worked out of Nissan so cannot comment.

Any - Buying British? - groaver

I drove car transporters for many years, and can assure you that the attention to QC at both Toyota and Honda factories and import sites is in a different class to some others past and present, i never worked out of Nissan so cannot comment.

I don't know if you have told of this before on the forum GB, but I'd love to know which manufacturers were not good. Obviously there's no need to identify them directly. :-)

I don't know if you have told of this before on the forum GB, but I'd love to know which manufacturers were not good. Obviously there's no need to identify them directly. :-)

Without naming makers, one factory, now gone, i used to load out of every day, sometimes 3 x 11 car loads a day for transfer to RDC, not BL.

At least twice a week one of the cars from factory would fail completely to run, regular issues with ECU's, these would be left off for rework, damage often found on the bodies, just get it signed for and the dealer it eventually ended up at would get it fixed and presumably bill the maker, one memorable day a door was bashed in badly (brand new cars), i presumed this would be left off, not a bit of it, i actually delivered this very car to a Nth Wales dealer who really didn't want to receive it but had no choice.

Contrast with Toyota, every single vehicle collected from there (and any Toyota/Lexus import centre) would be absolutely perfect in every way or it wouldn't go, over many years i maybe found 2 slight chips or scratches on a car in my load lane, after reporting a chap in a white coat would appear from QC to inspect and the car would disapper to be rectified plus full inquiry how it happened so it didn't happen again, and i don't mean a dab of touch up paint or smart rub on stuff either, never once had a non starter or poor runner from any Toyota centre, everything was about quality standards.

A colleague caught a wheeltrim on a lorry deck at Honda, went in and reported and asked if they could supply a new wheeltrim, no was the answer because the car would have to be inspected and alignments etc rechecked to ensure only the trim itself was affected.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/06/2020 at 11:47

Thanks GB :-)

Any - Buying British? - alan1302
You will not find much patriotism on here I am afraid. Most buy Japanese or german with the excuse that British companies are foreign owned anyway and will take every opportunity to have a pop at British manufacturers with the idea they will break down permanently. It depends on your budget and what you want, but mainstream models all that is left is Jaguar and Land Rover.

Plenty of people here recommend the Honda and Toyota's built here so not sure what you mean?

Jaguar and Landrover are all that are left? Do you think they are British owned? They are owned bu the India Tata company.

The other comments had not loaded on my screen when I posted that. However those posting still have not bought British, albeit they are going further than I expected in mentioning British brands.

I am aware it is Indian owned. My point is that this is the usual excuse from people who did not buy British in the first place. All well and good recommending Japanese brands with factories here, but when **** hits the fan, the factories here are the ones that will close, not their home market.

Any - Buying British? - Engineer Andy
You will not find much patriotism on here I am afraid. Most buy Japanese or german with the excuse that British companies are foreign owned anyway and will take every opportunity to have a pop at British manufacturers with the idea they will break down permanently. It depends on your budget and what you want, but mainstream models all that is left is Jaguar and Land Rover.

JLR are owned by an Indian firm. They aren't British.

Besides, both makes are premium on price and not on engineering quality, especially Land Rover. I cannot afford a car from range that start at 50 - 100% more than I can afford.

British car companies disappeared when Rover went. I don't count the little makes producing expensive sports cars.

Buying a Japanese or Korean car is because we want an affordable, reliable, long-lasting car.

People used to 'buy British' cars in the 1960s and 70s, and look what it got us - cr@p, poor quality cars that fell to bits, endless strikes and that allowed foreign brands to move in and take over because they produced far better cars for the same/less money and didn't treat us like idiots at the showroom.

I am patriotic, but I'm not daft or naive. I can't afford to be. I'd gladly buy British if a British-owned firm produced high quality, realiable, value for money cars and treated customers with respect and had good labour relations/a highly motivated workforce.

They are British, it’s the ownership that is foreign. Just as Volvo is still Swedish, Chrysler American, Nissan and Mitsubishi Japanese, if Ferrari were bought by an Indian investor and retained their italian headquarters, engineers, entire workforce and left to run more or less autonomously except for injections of cash, would you look at Ferrari and say ‘that’s an Indian supercar’ ? it’s nonsense. When is the last time you bought a british car? The failure in the 70s was complex, joining the EEC and abandoning kith and kin in captive markets was the death knell, but to argue buying British back then caused the demise, even if you think this could have bred complacency, is just too small a part of the question. Patriot my foot.
They are British, it’s the ownership that is foreign. Just as Volvo is still Swedish, Chrysler American, Nissan and Mitsubishi Japanese, if Ferrari were bought by an Indian investor and retained their italian headquarters, engineers, entire workforce and left to run more or less autonomously except for injections of cash, would you look at Ferrari and say ‘that’s an Indian supercar’ ? it’s nonsense. When is the last time you bought a british car? The failure in the 70s was complex, joining the EEC and abandoning kith and kin in captive markets was the death knell, but to argue buying British back then caused the demise, even if you think this could have bred complacency, is just too small a part of the question. Patriot my foot.

By your definition, my last (not current) car was British - a Nissan K11 Micra built in Sunderland. I have never been able to afford a new or under three years old JLR, and nor will I buy one because of the many inherrant design flaws, never mind the price.

Besides, I am not in the market for a serious offroader or a large luxury saloon costing £40k+ new. I certainly do not want one that is much older that needs a LOT of (expensive) TLC on a regular basis and that drinks fuel/costs a fortune to insure/tax and is too big in comparison to a Focus sized car.

Besides, you're insulting the wrong person here - as many Backroomers will know, I am not some Europhile or some left wing agitator. You're looking for arguments that just aren't there.

On the other hand, I won't buy rubbish or products that are inappropriate for my needs just because it's British designed or made. I would if they were appropriate and met all my requirements on quality and value. JLRs do not.

My next car (not on the horizon, give the current climate, but you never know) will likely be either:

• Another Mazda3 or CX-30 (made in Japan);
  • A Toyota Corolla (made in the UK);
  • A KIA Ceed/X-Ceed / Hyundai i30 (make in Slovakia?).

I buy on engineering quality (which includes reliability/longevity), being at least reasonable to drive, good value for money, size/space requirements, running costs and the ownership experience (servicing etc).

Unless a car meets those needs, and the make/its onwers are not really dodgy or support a corrupt or dictatorial regime, then they are on my list. Pure and simple.

I don't see JLR making a car that meets those requirements any time soon. If it weren't for my local Mazda dealership having a reasonable reputation, I would never have bought a Mazda, because their dealership quality varies as much as the likes of Ford and Vauxhall.

The difference was (the Ford Focus was on my list back in 2005/6 because it was a well-regarded car back then) that my Mazda is a petrol and thus has not suffered any of the issues the Ford-PSA-derived diesels have.

Being a patriot doen't need me to compromise other principles or have Union Jack tattoos.

Any - Buying British? - alan1302

So is Mini British or German? Made here, owned by BMW but only got thrights for the Mini after purchasing Rover.

At the end of the day I don't care where the manufactuerer is from - if a car that I like is made in the UK then that's good.

Besides, both makes are premium on price and not on engineering quality, especially Land Rover. I cannot afford a car from range that start at 50 - 100% more than I can afford.

I don't see why not. A lot of people don't seem to let that little thing bother them. ;-)

Any - Buying British? - Andrew-T

Like many oldies on here, from owning my first car in 1964 I bought British - Morris, Triumph, Austin, Cavalier (following BL's poor replacement for the Maxi). Soon after that I switched allegiance to Peugeot, where it has remained. By then the UK was in the EEC/EU, so I felt semi-comfortable with what I did. When Brexit finally gets sorted I shall probably be too old for a major rethink.

Any - Buying British? - Terry W

Buying British went out of fashion after we joined the EU, and the combination of unions and inadequate management pretty much destroyed the UK car industry.

40 years ago car manufacturing was labour intensive. Ever keen to save money the great British public went for cheap rather than local, reliable not rusk buckets.

Strangely the next decade may change all that as:

• the UK at least has some top class design and technology skills
  • transformation of most car plants to automated and robotic reduces labour input
  • robots etc cost much the same in China as UK even if labour costs are lower
  • CV-19 has highlighted weakness in extended complex supply chains
Any - Buying British? - bazza

Difficult to know whether by buying a car built in UK, you're actually helping UK jobs, although I agree it is a worthy thought. Reason being that the car market is global, and global automotive economic factors dictate which factories stay open. Witness Honda Swindon and more recently major upheavals at Nissan. Such factories, including Toyota have shown that the UK is capable of the highest quality standards given proper management, processes and quality systems plus the all important training, something in my experience of UK industry is very hit and miss, even in my field, pharmaceuticals. Our ancient 2003 Corolla is still going, it has a lovely little " made in the UK" sticker in the windscreen! A shame and economic disaster if these companies eventually uproot if we don't secure a decent trade deal this year.

Any - Buying British? - SLO76
Best cars I’ve owned and sold Chavez been British built Japanese models.
Any - Buying British? - Gordon17

Contrast with Toyota, every single vehicle collected from there (and any Toyota/Lexus import centre) would be absolutely perfect in every way or it wouldn't go, over many years i maybe found 2 slight chips or scratches on a car in my load lane, after reporting a chap in a white coat would appear from QC to inspect and the car would disapper to be rectified plus full inquiry how it happened so it didn't happen again, and i don't mean a dab of touch up paint or smart rub on stuff either, never once had a non starter or poor runner from any Toyota centre, everything was about quality standards.

I was working for Richard Lawson when production started at Burnaston and we started handling the exports. It was a complete culture shock - as you say the quality standards were streets ahead of anybody else. It drove our manager there to the edge of insanity.

Any - Buying British? - daveyK_UK
Can’t go wrong with a hybrid Toyota Corolla

Made in Britain, well built, reliable, fantastic retention value, good fuel economy and kinder than most rivals on the environment

I was working for Richard Lawson when production started at Burnaston and we started handling the exports. It was a complete culture shock - as you say the quality standards were streets ahead of anybody else. It drove our manager there to the edge of insanity.

Are you still at it Gordon17, or have you like me (thankfully) moved on to other things, i have but still in transport as i approach retirement. Its a long time since Lawsons went bust but then apart from ECM and Ford's own i don't think any of the long established names in transporters are still going, apparently DriveForce from Bristol closed down this week after some 20 years operation.

edit, that's handy to know DaveyK, i wasn't aware Burnaston were making the Corolla Hybrid, our OP could do much worse than look at one of the those if a hybrid is on his shopping list.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/06/2020 at 17:32

No - it's about 15 years since I left Lawsons - not long before they went bust and I've done other things since. I was at Tolemans for 5 years then 12 with Lawsons, though some of that time I worked for the parent company Wallenius Lines. Never drove though.

No - it's about 15 years since I left Lawsons - not long before they went bust and I've done other things since. I was at Tolemans for 5 years then 12 with Lawsons, though some of that time I worked for the parent company Wallenius Lines. Never drove though.

Tolemans, now that's a name from the past, a real dead mans shoes job for drivers (as Ford still is), if i stated the pay that Tolemans lads on the new Lohr mk5 bodies were earning in the late 80's no one here would believe it except for you :-) sadly i never had a sponsor.

My last transporter job was Walon, though it had started its first of now numerous name and ownership changes before i left (wouldn't be surprised if it happens again shortly), quite honestly glad to be out of it but glad i did my graft there because it made us financially secure and that long record of reliable transporter work opened what was at the time another dead mans shoes door for me, but with a fraction of the graft involved, unfortunately like most current and ex transporter drivers i bear the scars and aches that tell the tale.

Regards

Any - Buying British? - Bilboman

As far as buying 100% British goes, there isn't much choice left, but there's plenty of opportunity to buy a car with a reasonably high British content. Middle class British buyers choosing Volvos in the 70s (even in EFTA/pre-EEC days) were actually buying a lot of tyres, windscreens and other bits and bobs that made it a heavily British-sourced car. And Hampshire Police made the switch to Volvo way back in 1965 - questions were asked in the House! - and have never looked back.
Do BMW get an "honourable mention"? Ownership of the Mini plant in Cowley and the Hams Hall engine plant get them some brownie points, surely? (Less so Ford, who switched Transit production to Turkey in 1993 and are closing the Bridgend engine plant this year.)

Thanks for the good natured debate people, some interesting views.

Tolemans, now that's a name from the past, a real dead mans shoes job for drivers (as Ford still is), if i stated the pay that Tolemans lads on the new Lohr mk5 bodies were earning in the late 80's no one here would believe it except for you :-) sadly i never had a sponsor.

It was pretty hard to get a driving job without a relative or already on board. And yes, drivers could make fantastic money when the Mk5 came out.

Any - Buying British? - jc2

I bought a t***iba TV once-Japanese owned but built in South Wales!

I bought a t***iba TV once-Japanese owned but built in South Wales!

Likewise the most reliable video recorder i had was a British made Mitubishi, around that time it was still fairly easy to buy Japanese branded electronics made in Britain, always at the higher price end but invariably long lasting high quality products.

Its not just the goods have changed, but few buyers (consumers these days) are interested in long lasting quality, if it lasts till the next upgrade/facelift most seems happy enough, the depression we are entering might see attitudes forced to change.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/06/2020 at 07:30

Indeed - we've been encouraged for nigh on 30 years to be an always-in-debt, short-termist culture more interested in what other people (most of whom we don't know) think rather than practicality/usefullness, value-for-money (over the long term) being debt-free and being happy with oneself.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 25/06/2020 at 10:20