Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - Mowgus

Hi All

My sister is in need of a car budget around £3k

I own an '08 petrol Avensis with 130k miles and it has been faultless, she wants something a bit smaller.

I just wanted to check that I can expect the same from an Auris, petrol, manual. Are they known for the same longevity as the Corolla?

Any issues to watch out for? Any problems with the v matic engine? Are they as good as the vvti?

Cheers

Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - bathtub tom

I suggest you ask this question on the Toyota owner's club website: www.toyotaownersclub.com/

Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - badbusdriver

For such a small budget its probably best not to tie yourself down to one particular model. Also, while the Auris is reliable, this is going to be dependent on how the car has been treated by previous owners. So for this reason, you need to buy on condition rather than make/model (within reason!). Keep it simple, n/a petrol, manual gearbox. Check the MOT history of any prospective purchase which, while not definitive, can give you an indication of how well the car has been looked after.

Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - Mowgus

Thanks for the replies

Yes will be looking for a clean MOT history and full service history. Might also consider a civic or a Jazz

With my Avensis for example there was the oil burning issue that was fixed mid 2005, I was wondering if there was anything similar with the Auris.

Does anybody know how reliable the start/stop system is and if this is something to be avoided or not?

Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - bubsqueaker

I have a 2010 Auris, 1.33 engine. Nice relaxing, reliable car to drive and quite comfortable. I'd suggest you check two things on any prospective Auris...1, how much oil is showing on the dipstick and 2, whether there is any black soot in the tailpipe. Ours uses oil and has a sooty tailpipe...there is still an oil burning issue with this engine, not really fixed until 2013 onwards, from what I have read on the net. Car passes emissions / mot fine though and I'm happy putting a cupful of oil in every 2 weeks or so. The soot in the tailpipe is the best clue, as any dealer could have topped up the oil prior to putting on the forecourt. Your alternative is a jazz or civic...those dont burn oil...I have a 1.8 civic as well and can vouch for those as excellent vehicles.

Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - bluetrain

I’ve got a 2013 1.33, had from new and around 95k miles on it now. Virtually no issues whatsoever, although the stop-start around the 5 year mark (just out of warranty) caused the engine management light to come on one day after a long wait at traffic lights when it restarted and I struggled to keep the revs up to get the car to my local garage. They plugged it in to reveal a throttle position sensor issue, cleared the codes and it was fine again for weeks until it did the same. Not sure if it’s some electrical glitch after a prolonged period of waiting to restart, but I now just de-select the stop start each journey so it’s never been an issue since. Other than regular servicing (inc 10k oil changes) I haven’t had to spend anything other than brakes and tyres in 7 years, this model year of the 1.33 seems to use virtually no oil, mid 40s mpg and I’d buy another one without hesitation.

Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - Benet

I have a 2010 Auris, 1.33 engine. Nice relaxing, reliable car to drive and quite comfortable

Likewise with mine from same year, very reliable for a 40 mile daily commute for last 5 years. However mine also suffers from the oil burning problem. This must be piston rings or tappets or something very expensive if you paying normal labour costs. So I keep checking the oil and topping it up.

Edited by Benet on 22/06/2020 at 13:13

Toyota Auris any issues to watch for? - SLO76
Bulletproof wee cars which fortunately don’t appeal to the boy/girl racer but I’d bulk up the search a bit by adding the Yaris 1.33, Jazz 1.4, Civic 1.8, Mazda 3 1.6, Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 and Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. All are excellent cars if bought in good order.