Disappearing models - Kingpin

Noticed recently quite a few makes and models have quietly disappeared from the roads, some probably due to rust but others maybe written off after technical MOT failures?

Fiat Grande Punto - a big sales success 15 years ago but now a rare sight. Surely they don't rot. Mechanical failure my bet.

Fiesta 2002 - 2008 - the square shape pre current platform, suspect a victim of rust.

MK 4 Astra - used to be loads around but now a rare sight, last models were 2004 I think? Likely rust. Saying that the MK5 is heading the same way. The current shape from 2010 is probably now entering banger territory.

MK3 Mondeo - up to 2006 - a nice looking car especially in Zetec trim in metallic blue but few seen lately. Thinking of which even the far larger successor is now becoming a rare sight.

Probably no more complicated explanation than the fact most cars don't make it beyond their 10th birthday. None of these are particular classics, more the normal everyday models you get used to but being replaced by the next generation.

Disappearing models - tim10597

I still see a lot of the 2002 - 2008 Fiesta about. I think they're great cars that appear to be built to last. Maybe the fact that we have one makes us notice them more? We've a 2005 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec that we bought for my daughter to learn to drive in. We've now had it for 3 years and it has flown through every MOT without needing any work. Granted, it was good find, low mileage, full history, but it's costing us nothing and now that daughter has a newer car, my son will learn to drive on it next year. I quite enjoy pootling round in it, especially knowing it costs next to nothing to run!

I still see a lot of the 2002 - 2008 Fiesta about. I think they're great cars that appear to be built to last. Maybe the fact that we have one makes us notice them more? We've a 2005 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec that we bought for my daughter to learn to drive in. We've now had it for 3 years and it has flown through every MOT without needing any work. Granted, it was good find, low mileage, full history, but it's costing us nothing and now that daughter has a newer car, my son will learn to drive on it next year. I quite enjoy pootling round in it, especially knowing it costs next to nothing to run!

Good to hear it's still going - I used to have a 2003 1.4 Zetec, quite smart and a more modern improvement on the previous one which was an old design and prone to rust. Should last a while if you look after it, cambelt etc and keep the underneath rust free.

Disappearing models - Engineer Andy

There's still a good number of those Fiestas and Astras around - my Dad owns on the former (2008 model and only changed out its original battery last winter!), still going ok, and my next-door neighbour has one of those Astras, both of which are of a similar vintage to my late 2005 build Mazda 3, which is holding up well even on the wheel arch rust front.

Both my Dad's car and mine have as yet (touch wood) passed every MOT.

What I am seeing a lot less of are mk1 Ford Focuses.

There's still a good number of those Fiestas and Astras around - my Dad owns on the former (2008 model and only changed out its original battery last winter!), still going ok, and my next-door neighbour has one of those Astras, both of which are of a similar vintage to my late 2005 build Mazda 3, which is holding up well even on the wheel arch rust front.

Both my Dad's car and mine have as yet (touch wood) passed every MOT.

What I am seeing a lot less of are mk1 Ford Focuses.

Yes a good point, the Mk1 Focus are a rare sight now, probably oldest ones are 21 or 22 years old. A great car in it's day. That era was a high point for Ford - the original KA, Puma and Mondeo all excellent models with great handling and design in their original mk1 series pre facelift. Don't mention the Probe...

Disappearing models - SLO76
Rust is the big killer on the Fiesta but I still see plenty in my neck of the woods, ditto the Mk IV Astra which is a car I really rare as a cheap sub £500 runner. The Mk III Mondeo’s were mostly diesels and have been taxied to death or generally neglected by people trying to run it on a shoestring. The bulk of survivors are petrols which used a tough chain driven Mazda designed motor but these are greedy. A god cheap big family wagon and the best of them is worth no more than £1,000 in hatch form. Rust again is the big issue on petrol examples. The diesels will usually die before the backside falls out.
Disappearing models - Car

'MK 4 Astra - used to be loads around but now a rare sight, last models were 2004 I think? Likely rust. Saying that the MK5 is heading the same way. The current shape from 2010 is probably now entering banger territory.'

I can see one of these outside, it's the SWMBO car purchased at 9.5 years years old from local garage at cost of £2,300 and been in her ownership for last 6.5 years. Non scheduled repairs to date have been:-

• Replacement radiator.
  • Replacement rear window regulator.
  • Replacement brake pipes
  • Replacement battery.
  • Replacement rear light (accident damage).
  • Replacement front lights (the old ones were misty & pair of replacement lights cost £55).

There is no noticeable rust on bodywork and underneath is in good condition.

Unless something major goes wrong, we will look to replace in about 2 years time, if we get £100 for it then, it will have cost us £21 a month in depreciation.

Disappearing models - John F

Noticed recently quite a few makes and models have quietly disappeared from the roads, some probably due to rust but others maybe written off after technical MOT failures?.....

......Probably no more complicated explanation than the fact most cars don't make it beyond their 10th birthday.

Yes they do - last known figure of average scrap age is 13.9 years, and presumably this includes crashed young write-offs.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/126626/cars-scrapp...o

Disappearing models - RT

Noticed recently quite a few makes and models have quietly disappeared from the roads, some probably due to rust but others maybe written off after technical MOT failures?.....

......Probably no more complicated explanation than the fact most cars don't make it beyond their 10th birthday.

Yes they do - last known figure of average scrap age is 13.9 years, and presumably this includes crashed young write-offs.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/126626/cars-scrapp...o

It's been around the 14 year mark "forever" - well since the '60s anyway

Disappearing models - Terry W

Relatively unremarkable cars of this vintage (2000-2004) generally fall into the £200-1000 range unless very low mileage and immaculate.

Rust used to be the main killer - but the reality is that even minor repairs and replacements can cost more than the car is worth. Head gasket, new clutch, exhaust, battery, even new tyres and a service can each cost close to or more than the vehicle is worth.

It is only when attrition has reduced the number of survivors to one or two digits that they may start to assume some sort of "classic" status. Otherwise they are just "bangers" on their last outing before the great scrapyard in the sky!

Disappearing models - Avant

I wonder if that 14-year average will start to come down as time goes on. As well as the items Terry mentions, on recent cars if something electronic (not least the ECU) fails, 'repair' means replacement, which may well be uneconomic, even for an owner whose mechanical skills have saved them money up to now.

As some of us on here are fond of saying, there was a 'sweet spot' for car manufacture centred in the 1990s, when components had become more reliable but electronic ignition was the extent of electronic management.

Disappearing models - pd

"Repair" rarely means replacement of something like an ECU unless you go to a main dealer.

Disappearing models - elekie&a/c doctor
I consider cars made between 1995 and 2005 probably have the best balance of reliability and durability. Any failures were not an economic disaster . More up to date models with highly complicated electronics can see a write off with a major failure of an electronic control unit. Led headlight failure? Probably £1000 per side .
Disappearing models - madf

I have just re-rust proofed our 2003 Yaris D4D in preparation for its next decade of use..

Lots of spare parts on ebay..Easy to work on.. but rust in rear around suspension mountings /sills/rear wheel arches get them as the galvanised body lasts only 2-3 years after the paint had gone..

Most are in banger territory with minimal oil changes and worn timing chains - a PIA job..

Edited by madf on 19/06/2020 at 16:31

Disappearing models - Andrew-T

... the reality is that even minor repairs and replacements can cost more than the car is worth. Head gasket, new clutch, exhaust, battery, even new tyres and a service can each cost close to or more than the vehicle is worth.

I am always mystified by this habitual comparison of maintenance cost with what a car 'is worth'. Presumably that will be a notional resale or scrap value ? But most owners will need to buy another vehicle, which would likely cost a lot more than the repairs. If the present car has been trustworthy it could well be 'worth' more that its resale value, so is 'worth' repairing. Many cars are disposed of early because of boredom, fear that more failures are imminent, obeying the 'more than it's worth' mantra, or sometimes a scrappage scheme.

Of course for a regular bangernomics devotee, a car is not worth a great deal, and is basically a disposable item.

Disappearing models - Avant

You're right. I suppose it's just an expression people use to emphasise the amount of the expense. A more logical word would be 'uneconomic' - to imply that throwing a lot of money at a car may not be a good idea if it's in such a state that something else could go wrong at any minute.

Disappearing models - dan86

You're right. I suppose it's just an expression people use to emphasise the amount of the expense. A more logical word would be 'uneconomic' - to imply that throwing a lot of money at a car may not be a good idea if it's in such a state that something else could go wrong at any minute.

I think you're right on this one most people will use it to justify a newer car car, I've often run older cars as my work/ tip ring car and along as its proving itself reliable I don't mind spending a few pounds keeping it running sometimes the cheapest car to own is the on already on the drive way.

My 10 year old Suzuki shows no signs of going wrong yet so I'll just to continue with its annual service and if something does go wrong (highly unlikely) I'll get it fixed as its proven its self thus far. Unless it's a major failure that will cost 1-1.5k then I'll just keep it running for now.

Disappearing models - daveyjp

A neighbour has had a 56 reg Fiesta Ghia from new.

He won't be getting rid anytime soon. It has never failed him and passes the MOT with no issues.

He has just treat it to some new wheels as the old ones were porous and he was sick of pumping tyres up!

Disappearing models - Andrew-T

He has just treated it to some new wheels as the old ones were porous and he was sick of pumping tyres up!

Good for him. That's another thing that mystifies me - the notion that solid, heavy, metal wheels become 'porous' after several or many years. The usual way for tyres to lose pressure is slow punctures, leaky valves or surface corrosion round the bead or valve entry. Porosity sounds rather like nuclear tunnelling to me. Micro-cracking perhaps ?

Disappearing models - Trilogy.

Rust used to be the killer, which wasn't really too bad to repair. These days just a major service, cambelt replacement and set of new tyres all at the same time can make a perfectly good car uneconomic to contin ue with. Then you see why people, who probably can't really afford to, get sucked into a PCP deal that a few years ago would never happen.

Disappearing models - Engineer Andy

... the reality is that even minor repairs and replacements can cost more than the car is worth. Head gasket, new clutch, exhaust, battery, even new tyres and a service can each cost close to or more than the vehicle is worth.

I am always mystified by this habitual comparison of maintenance cost with what a car 'is worth'. Presumably that will be a notional resale or scrap value ? But most owners will need to buy another vehicle, which would likely cost a lot more than the repairs. If the present car has been trustworthy it could well be 'worth' more that its resale value, so is 'worth' repairing. Many cars are disposed of early because of boredom, fear that more failures are imminent, obeying the 'more than it's worth' mantra, or sometimes a scrappage scheme.

Of course for a regular bangernomics devotee, a car is not worth a great deal, and is basically a disposable item.

Exactly right, and one of the reasons why I have no problem continuing to put money (not a load, but enough when needed) into keeping my 14yo Mazda3 on the road.