Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - _Chris_

Looking to buy a van (Transporter SWB size), are there any good UK forums to discuss this?

Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - _

You will get some advice here,

Price range maximeum weight, careful with licensing and speed restrictions on National A roads and dual carriageways, (ULEZ charge applicable or not?)

Edited by _ORB_ on 13/06/2020 at 18:33

Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - badbusdriver

Not really is the short answer.

There are forums for Ford vans and VW vans, as they are the type most likely to inspire a devoted fanbase. But because of this, you may not get an unbiased opinion.

What sort of budget are you thinking about?

Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - bathtub tom

What sort of budget are you thinking about?

I'd suspect about the price of a can of spam.

Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - SLO76
All down to budget. Are we talking £250 or £25000?

Good cheap vans are like hens teeth and in buying one you have to think very differently to car buying. People don’t get rid of a van because they just fancy a change they typically do so because it’s unreliable and no longer cost effective so unless you can afford an ex fleet vehicle from one of the better sellers such as the NHS or BT then I’d think instead about an estate car instead. Beg and borrow to buy something good upfront and forget knackered hacks that are being offloaded because they’re trouble.

I’ve faced this question many times with lads at my work who all seem to like having a cheap van on the go for some reason. I’m often found trying to talk them out of buying some scabby old Transit or Combo van only to be ignored and nine times out of ten proved right shortly after. Never buy a cheap van unless you know it and the seller well.
Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - daveyK_UK
Hi,

I drive a lot of different hire vans at the moment (since COVID) and can share my experience with various models.

Of the current models

Still the best Transporter Size (medium van) to drive is the Ford Transit Custom
However I would be hesitant about owning one due to lack of security and poor paint quality.
But it’s still a hoot to drive, as good as a car for its size.

The best all rounder is the Toyota pro ace/ Peugeot expert / Citroen Dispatch / Vauxhall Vivaro - all drive nicely, some good deals available, best driving position and adjustability, better security than most rivals, well built

The best value is the Fiat Talento . Not only do you get a 5 year warranty but they are reliable, more fuel efficient than rivals and considerably cheaper. The Renault Traffic is an identical vehicle but considerably more expensive and less warranty. I know of a small fleet of Talentos that are closing in on average to 80k miles and all trouble free. The Talento fuel efficiency at 70mph is the best around (think it was the 1.6 diesel although I’m told the 2.0 is just as good on the fuel).

The VW transporter - I just don’t get it. Had one for 2 weeks and while it’s a perfectly adequate van, I couldn’t see how VW can justify its considerably higher list price and smaller discounts compared to rivals. It drives okay , nothing special, not as good as the Vauxhall vivaro or Ford Custom.
It has okay build quality but certainly more flimsy than the Toyota pro ace and Vauxhall vivaro.
It has less equipment on the mid trim model than the others.
Fuel efficiency was average although no worse than the Custom or Vivaro.

Personally if I had to buy a medium size van I would go with one of the Peugeot/Citroen/Toyota/Vauxhall offerings and get the best deal available and check out the warranty’s, I think Toyota offer 5 and Vauxhall 4 years on commercials,

If I had to hire one and had no ownership considerations I would go with a ford Transit custom, so easy to get along with in the drivers seat.

If I was buying on a budget, it would be the Fiat Talento with some good deals, strong warranty and good fuel economy. The Talento is an under rated van.

Not yet driven an LDV van , price is right as is the warranty, but want to drive one for a few days to get an honest assessment. They don’t seem to push them out to the hire trade.

Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - corax
The VW transporter - I just don’t get it. Had one for 2 weeks and while it’s a perfectly adequate van, I couldn’t see how VW can justify its considerably higher list price and smaller discounts compared to rivals.

It looks good innit.

The VW transporter - I just don’t get it. Had one for 2 weeks and while it’s a perfectly adequate van, I couldn’t see how VW can justify its considerably higher list price and smaller discounts compared to rivals.

It looks good innit.

Image too. And while i do use a VW van for my work, it is a 10 year old Caddy 2.0 SDI, chosen because there is so little to go wrong on it!.

Not yet driven an LDV van , price is right as is the warranty, but want to drive one for a few days to get an honest assessment. They don’t seem to push them out to the hire trade.

I have looked at the SAIC (LDV) myself, though even the SWB is bigger than i need. The issue i have with it is that its only available in one trim level with all the bells and whistles, and one engine option. 135bhp is fine and dandy if you have the LWB high roof/carry a lot of weight/spend a lot of time on motorways, but is uneccessary for myself. The company seems to be missing an opportunity at the bottom end of the market, why not offer a stripped out version for customers who neither want nor need anything more?. With the 95bhp version of the engine (the base version pre-takeover) offered at £10k plus VAT for the SWB, £12 or 13k for the bigger one, i think it could do pretty well and the price would help to gloss over the inherent flaws of what, even when first introduced, wasn't actually that competitive. As for owners reviews, i have read very mixed reports ranging from very poor to very good!. The 'very good' being a 2016 video review from of a guy who ran a fleet of them for his courier company in NZ. The one he was using on the video was 6 months old, coming up to 220,000km and had needed nothing other than routine servicing. The economy, according to him, was 8 litres per 100km which i believe is around 35mpg, not too bad at all for a 2.5 litre engine.

Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - Engineer Andy

It looks good innit.

It must be good - it's German. ;-)

Odd why the oriental makes have never really made much of a dent in the commercial vehicle market, especially as many of them are known for ther vehicle reliability...

Good UK forums for discussions on which used van? - Trilogy.

When a Transit and a Transporter get to 15 years old you'll know why the VW cost more/holds it's value better.

When a Transit and a Transporter get to 15 years old you'll know why the VW cost more/holds it's value better.

?

Very mysterious, i'm assuming the Ford won't turn into a pumpkin as i see plenty on the road over that age...........!

Very mysterious, i'm assuming the Ford won't turn into a pumpkin as i see plenty on the road over that age...........!

You need to about after midnight. ;-)

People don’t get rid of a van because they just fancy a change they typically do so because it’s unreliable and no longer cost effective so unless you can afford an ex fleet vehicle from one of the better sellers such as the NHS or BT then I’d think instead about an estate car instead.

It's not as black and white as that SLO. Sometimes people change because they simply no longer need a van, can afford a newer one or perhaps now need a larger/smaller one. My £4,000 55 plate VW Transporter had previously been used by a gardener, owned for 7 years, it had been maintained well. He only parted with because his business had out grown it. He replaced it with a VW Krafter, spoke volumes about his feelings regarding VW ownership. I didn't know him from Adam. Mileage when I purchased was 175,911, now up to 182,000 with no bother. I've only had to have it serviced and MOT'd since buying it, nowt else has been necessary. I've made a few improvements like Audi front seats, side windows, a rubber floor, rear seats and some sound insulation. It suits me perfectly.

I've made a few improvements like Audi front seats, side windows, a rubber floor, rear seats and some sound insulation. It suits me perfectly.

That must be a really basic spec if it did not come with side windows.......!

:-0

Exactly, poverty spec. with 84 bhp, plenty for my requirements.

Exactly, poverty spec. with 84 bhp, plenty for my requirements.

No no, i was kidding, and meant side windows as in the ones on the front doors!.

As for 84bhp, well my Caddy (albeit a smaller van than a Transporter) has 70bhp (and no turbo)!. Also, i do remember when working at a VW dealer having to pick up a Transporter (think it was a late T4) from about 20 miles away. But it had a 68bhp 1.9 and was pretty hard work to maintain momentum!.

I am told pre Covid lockdown there were some good deals on the Nissan NV300 (re-bagged Renault Master / Fiat Talento) , might be worth a look to see if any deals still about.

Rumours Dacia will sell the new Dokker van (set for 2021) in the UK.

While this is a small van, can you imagine the sales figures if they come in at £8995 plus VAT?

They will sell over ten thousand a year
Rumours Dacia will sell the new Dokker van (set for 2021) in the UK. While this is a small van, can you imagine the sales figures if they come in at £8995 plus VAT? They will sell over ten thousand a year

It is high time too!. I first saw a Dokker van while on holiday in Majorca in 2016, pretty impressed too. Personally, i think it is a better looking van than the Kangoo. Sadly, i don't think Dacia do the Logan pickup anymore, that is the one i'd be most interested in. A small, efficient (1.5DCI) pickup, with a decent payload (800kg or thereabouts) would be perfect for my work. I know you can still get them new in South Africa badged as the Nissan NP200 but as tempting as that is (RHD too), not very practical. But i have certainly looked at used Logan pickups on various EU websites, the LHD wouldn't really bother me.

Looking on the websites i mentioned, i have also come across the Fiat Strada pickup(!). This appeals too, not least because of no less than options for cab size including a (2 door) crewcab version with what appears to be decent sized rear seats. None have the payload of the Dacia though, and the recent versions all use the 1248cc turbo diesel which, while effiicient, isn't the last word in reliability.

bbd, I had cottoned on. :) I'd have bought a Caddy if it had been large enough in SWB. I don't like the proportions of the LWB, and having always liked the T5, went for one when I realised I could get one within my budget. My only stipulations regarding specification were it must have a tailgate and air conditioning. Delighted I found a nice one with both features.