How far safety has moved on - SLO76
I’ve been looking for a particular copy of What Car magazine for a while dating from 1990 and I’ve finally obtained it through EBay. It’s the first privately run multi car crash test run by the European motoring press and it shocked the public and pressured the car manufacturers into action. It pretty much instigated the big safety push of the 1990’s which saved countless lives.

They took a selection of large executive cars and ran them into an offset concrete barrier at 35mph, something that today’s superminis would survive with relative ease. The results were appalling. Effectively you were dead at the wheel of the Fiat Croma, Honda Legend, Nissan Maxima, Renault 25 and badly injured in a Volvo 740. You would’ve walked away from the recently launched BMW 5 series and the Mercedes E class but the rest were mangled.

It’s an eye opener into how poor cars were structurally before the 1990’s and a big thank you should be directed to the magazine for saving lives at great expense to themselves. Not long afterwards every manufacturer was pushing safety as their priority. The French transformed themselves, going from bottom of the pile to top rankings with the Laguna and 406. Vauxhall’s later airbag clad Cavaliers and Omegas were solid in a bump too.

I’ve often wondered how the other cars based on the same architecture as the Fiat Croma would’ve faired. Would the Saab 9000 have done much better? The Rover 800 was based on the Legend so likely would’ve folded up like a wet paper bag too. A Ford Granada would’ve been an interesting addition too with Ford pushing its safety credentials in adverts mentioning its standard ABS breaks.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/06/2020 at 10:43

How far safety has moved on - RT

The industry didn't use an offset test until they were forced to do so - and until recently weren't forced to do both a LHD and RHD offset test

How far safety has moved on - Engineer Andy

I think that whilst we still see 'improvements' over tha last decade, progress has been more on the car intervening or beeping at you, even in perfectly ok situations, because the systems (e.g. lane departure systems) do not account for legal manouvres such as moving back over to the nearside lane without signalling.

I think that some of the systems are taking away the skill of the driver and also (e.g. ABS and stability control) encouraging drivers to take more risks and driver faster, leading to more accidents than there otherwise should be, and mitigated only by the other safety features you mentioned and especially the significant improvements over the same period in the care/treatment of accident victims in hospital.

I also think that many of these (expensive and numerous) safety systems have helped (amongst other factors such as the exchange rate) push up new car prices, meaning that people on lower incomes cannot afford new cars, even from 'budget' or mid-range makes and have to make do with much older second-hand cars, often which have far less safety systems and that they don't have to spend a small fortune on to pass MOTs.

How far safety has moved on - John F

Older drivers may recall that true pioneer of car safety, Ralph Nader, whose book 'Unsafe at any speed' resulted in legislation which shook up the car makers back in the 60s.

How far safety has moved on - Andrew-T

I think that some of the systems are taking away the skill of the driver and also (e.g. ABS and stability control) encouraging drivers to take more risks and drive faster, leading to more accidents than there otherwise should be,...

Absolutely. Humans are risk-evaluating creatures, and when they get into a more crashproof machine, some will adapt to the changed situation. Of course as cars have become faster, they have been given wider track and fatter tyres to stay on the road, and a more robust bodyshell - all of which adds weight, reducing economy.

There was always something to be said for putting a spike in the centre of the steering wheel instead of an airbag :-)

How far safety has moved on - pd

I'm sorry but I think very few drivers actually know what ABS is and very few really understand ESP. Statistical research shows that ESP has more effect on reducing crashes than ABS.

I just don't buy into the idea that many drivers go out there saying "I am going to drive like a tit today because I have ESP and any which do will probably drive like a tit anyway. I'd say speeds have actually got a lot, lot lower in recent years anyway (not always due to traffic).

They're not taking away the "skill" of a driver. Very good drivers struggle to do better than ESP and for 99% of them out there they haven't ever had the skill to lose or the desire/ability to acquire it anyway.

How far safety has moved on - elekie&a/c doctor
The majority of drivers have no idea what’s going on in their car . When you first turn the ignition on , there are a million and one warning lights that illuminate to do a self check of all the safety systems fitted. Any that stay on to indicate a fault , usually don’t prevent the car being driven . Commonly see customers cars with some kind of warning showing , airbag , abs , etc . Response from the owner is there’s nothing wrong with the car , it’s just the light on . Sorry , they don’t get it .
How far safety has moved on - Zippy123

I am all for car safety systems.

Whilst I am currently without a car (my lease came to an end in February and I didn't see a need to renew at the time), my last car - a Hyundai Tuscon had a couple of systems that saved me or someone else...

1. Blind Spot Information System. I looked over my shoulder. The biker was invisible - right in the blind spot. The little orange light that I caught in the wing mirror and major bleeping when I put the indicators on probably saved his life.

2. On a motorway junction roundabout a car pulled off the slip road at full speed without seeing me already on the roundabout. The systems in the car brought the vehicle to a stop before I managed get my foot on the brake. Hazard lights all flashing too.

As to cost - these systems are expensive. BLIS uses rear mounted radar units at about £400 and that's added to the cost of a front unit.

Edited by Zippy123 on 10/06/2020 at 13:31

Blind Spot Information System. I looked over my shoulder. The biker was invisible - right in the blind spot. The little orange light that I caught in the wing mirror and major bleeping when I put the indicators on probably saved his life.

21st-century stylists haven't exactly helped here, by steadily reducing the glass area in the sides and rear of most cars - and tinting the glass too. Style before safety - not a clever motto.

How far safety has moved on - S40 Man

21st-century stylists haven't exactly helped here, by steadily reducing the glass area in the sides and rear of most cars - and tinting the glass too. Style before safety - not a clever motto.

Thicker front A pillars are needed for good crash protection and safety cell robustness, but they do reduce glass area and hence visibility. Similarly the for pillar for side impact.

It's probably true that most drivers don't know the technical do-dahs, but most know that, by virtue of the sales patois, that their car is 'safer', and not just because of a stronger bodyshell or airbags, but because of 'systems' that can 'help you get out of' or avoid an accident.

Rather like with Andrew-T's steering wheel spike, would drivers take a risk when driving, knowing some three-lettered acroynm safety device (even if they didn't know what it was) would 'come to their rescue', especially as many (e.g. stability control) appear to be used by many car manufacturers to reduce or 'cure' poor handling (e.g. in the 'elk' or slalom tests), epsecially for higher sided cars like SUVs and crossovers.

I remember reading (perhaps here) that the Ford Fusion's handling characteristics were transformed at having ESP (on upper spec models).

My fear is that when a car gets out of its warranty period, many of the 'safety features' may not be kept roadworthy and through age may fail even after passing an inspection (where applicable at an MOT), meaning someone in a potentially poor handling car chucks it around, not realising the ESP is going to or has failed, just when it's most needed.

Most of these systems are electronic in nature and, as we constantly see with modern cars, have a far less predictable lifespan and reliability window, with little to no warning of failure, not helped by many drivers' not realising what the system does. In older cars, a broken warning light on the dash may mean a failed part isn't picked up for months, maybe years/never.

I agree that many safety systems are indeed useful if the car is driven correctly, but I'd much rather have a dependable, decent handling car by virtue of its general design/mechanical components than a poor one that artifically looks good until that all-important safety system fails.

The significant improvement in tyre technology is also a big factor too.

How far safety has moved on - focussed

I'm sorry but I think very few drivers actually know what ABS is and very few really understand ESP. Statistical research shows that ESP has more effect on reducing crashes than ABS.

An easy explanation for that. ESP systems don't require any driver involvement, they just intervene if the sensors detect that it's required.

ABS on the other hand intervenes during an emergency stop only as long as the driver keeps the brake pedal buried in the carpet. It's a fact that most drivers never realise what ABS can do until they actually use it, they then feel the brake pedal pulsing, hear the noise of the ABS working and think there is something wrong and come off the brakes.

How many drivers ever do an ABS test, just to see what happens?

How far safety has moved on - galileo

I think that some of the systems are taking away the skill of the driver and also (e.g. ABS and stability control) encouraging drivers to take more risks and drive faster, leading to more accidents than there otherwise should be,...

Absolutely. Humans are risk-evaluating creatures, and when they get into a more crashproof machine, some will adapt to the changed situation. Of course as cars have become faster, they have been given wider track and fatter tyres to stay on the road, and a more robust bodyshell - all of which adds weight, reducing economy.

There was always something to be said for putting a spike in the centre of the steering wheel instead of an airbag :-)

Watching "Traffic Cops" and similar programmes shows that car thieves, joyriders and other criminals rely on safety systems to protect them while driving recklessly, many write off vehicles in high speed crashes, jump out and run away.

*brakes
*brakes

;-) And I thought it was referring to some type of injury caused by sit-ups...

How far safety has moved on - badbusdriver

Came upon this video clip today, seemed appropriate to post it on this thread!,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNHsE1wpqb4

Flipping over on an offset frontal impact surely isn't a good result?!

Edited by badbusdriver on 10/06/2020 at 17:52

How far safety has moved on - Terry W

I would hazard a guess that in the 1960-1990 period the priorities in car design were to make it look attractive to the target market (sporty, fast, practical, old, young drivers etc), and keep production costs low (nothing much has changed here)

Crash protection wasn't on the agenda. Corrosion protection was (by about 1985). A typical engine of the time produced approx 50-60 bhp per litre - so keeping weight down was important to maximise performance.

Safety systems, more standard equipment, gizmos and crash protection have increased weight significantly. Engine performance has also improved to keep pace.

On balance, even if a modern new car was unaffordable because of the extra technology, a 3-5 year old vehicle would be a far, far safer bet than an unadorned vehicle from 1990. And for a comparable market segment, a far more pleasant place to be!

How far safety has moved on - Zippy123

On balance, even if a modern new car was unaffordable because of the extra technology, a 3-5 year old vehicle would be a far, far safer bet than an unadorned vehicle from 1990. And for a comparable market segment, a far more pleasant place to be!

I'm borrowing my wife's Nissan Note Accenta Premium and I am really surprised as to how well it's put together and how many features it has - more kit than I had on my new BMW from a few years prior.

*brakes

;-) And I thought it was referring to some type of injury caused by sit-ups...

Lol
How far safety has moved on - drd63

I can see the argument for extra safety systems and it’s a good one. The old spike in the steering wheel argument is just daft. My 2020 Puma has pretty much every safety feature known to man and these are all valued, I think they build in a higher safety margin than a human being in sole charge which has to be a good thing. My 2017 Mustang has esp and abs, that’s about it. I like to think I’m a good driver with good levels of awareness and anticipation so would like to think I’m equally safe in both cars but.....I have missed other vehicles in blind spots before, luckily without any consequences and the Puma takes this risk away. I don’t drive either car differently because of the presence or lack of safety features but the Puma is more relaxing to drive because of its safety features.

On the other hand my wife’s Fiat 124, I do drive more defensively, almost like riding a motorbike, it has few safety features and because it’s low and small I do feel more vulnerable. Lovely car though.

The problem is that a LOT of people do not drive very differently from one car to the next, especially if they look reasonably similar.

For example, an average box-standard hire will be a lower-spec model (especially a loan car from a car dealership) which will have far fewer 'safety features' than a upper spec model, but would the driver likely forget that when pushing on to get to their destination?

I also see people who drive a van for work and a car for home use drive both in the same way, even though the van has nowhere near the handling (or likely safety) capabilities and features of their car.

It's a bit like the relative quietness of the modern car at speed, not realising that you're doing well over the speed limit because of the lack of noise and power of the engine, as opposed to an older car that told you when you were at that limit.

I still believe that many modern cars give drivers, especially those used to driving previous generation cars only, a false sense of security, leading some (not all) to take way too many risks when behind the wheel.

It's why I won't buy a car that, when tested, handles poorly when the tester turns the ESP (and similar) off - if they failed in use, you'd suddenly have a car that handled far worse, and you might not have time to make the necessary adjustment, or to know what level of adjustment was needed.

....I have missed other vehicles in blind spots before, luckily without any consequences and the Puma takes this risk away.

Do you know this for an absolute fact, or are you convinced by the tech ? It's that kind of conviction which persuades drivers to up their risk-taking tendencies. Of course cars are far more crashproof than they were, which is probably the main reason why accident stats have improved over the years.

I still say it is a retrograde step to shrink or darken the area of glass in a car, simply for style reasons, and then add another gizmo to offset the loss in visibility. If that gizmo fails it won't fail safe, will it ? The warnings will just stop. Presumably it needs to be checked in the MoT ?

How far safety has moved on - drd63

Yep, I trust the tech, it seems to have a pretty wide margin of error. There is also a degree of reassurance that when passing other cars with BLIS you can see that you might be in their blind spot. No idea about MOT’s but not improving safety on the slim chance that it might not work at some point in the future seems odd.

No idea about MOT’s but not improving safety on the slim chance that it might not work at some point in the future seems odd.

I didn't suggest that safety shouldn't be improved - I was considering what might follow the introduction of this system. Anyhow it's the 'slim chance' that can have bad results occasionally.

How far safety has moved on - Terry W

I have no doubt that in an accident a modern car with crumple zones, better corrosion protection, air bags, "soft" cabin environment, computer modelled and tested designs are a massively safer place to be than the average car 30 years ago.

At that time in a 30mph crash, a 5 year old car would simply disintegrate due to poor design and corrosion in seams. Today we expect to walk away uninjured!

Whether safety systems (ESP, ABS etc) encourage motorists to drive faster and take more risks is questionable. Personally I am happy to have them even though there rarely or never get deployed!

How far safety has moved on - expat

Crumple zones are great for protection from serious accidents but I do miss the big solid steel bumpers fitted to American and Australian cars in the 60's and 70's. Also to the Landrover Defender (not the new version). They were great for small bumps which now cost hundreds when they crack the plastic decorative bumpers that modern cars have.

How far safety has moved on - Manatee

You can pretty well eliminate blind spots on most cars by adjusting the door mirrors properly. You don't need to see the side of your car.

Of course people take performance benefits and lose some of the safety benefit. They might not consciously decide to go faster because they have ABS and ESP, but they learn through experience that they can get away with not making allowances for a wet road for example, even if it had occurred to them in the first place.

Everyday cars have unbelievable grip and stability now, compared with the rear wheel drive, live axle, cartsprung stuff we drove in the 70's. And they are massively better in a crash.

You can pretty well eliminate blind spots on most cars by adjusting the door mirrors properly. You don't need to see the side of your car.

Not for that, no. But when reversing into a parking space, seeing the side of the car is very useful. And I don't like having to keep adjusting my mirror angle.

Not for that, no. But when reversing into a parking space, seeing the side of the car is very useful. And I don't like having to keep adjusting my mirror angle.

What would be a useful feature are mirror positions store in memory, rather like seat positions for different drivers.

How far safety has moved on - ExA35Owner
Volvo aiming for zero

Our Safety Vision is one of the most ambitious safety visions in the automotive industry. It is rooted in our leadership in safety and the fact that everything we do starts with protecting the people inside and around our cars. Our aim is that no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo. While we are proud of what we have achieved so far, we are not satisfied yet.

[from their website]

How far safety has moved on - Avant

If Volvo really believed in their hype, they wouldn't expect drivers to take their eyes off the road to prod and poke at their Scandi minimalist touchscreens.

They would say that voice control can be used instead, but we all know how distracting that can be if you don't give it the exact command it wants.

Maybe Volvo could make their cars completely out of airbags...

How far safety has moved on - Big John

My dad had a 1973 Volvo 144 saloon and for it's time it was impressive re crash protection:-

• Substantial Bumpers had huge shock absorbers/rubber buffers (looked similar but smaller to the ones positioned at the end of line railway station platform!)
  • Doors had large side impact bars (looked like scaffold poles!) - I know as I had to repair rust at the top of the door case near the window many moons ago.and saw then from the top.

Considering this was 1973....

Edited by Big John on 14/06/2020 at 23:54