Electric Scrappage - veryoldbear

If Boris gives us £6000 to buy an electric car and they all cost £6000 more than the equivalent petrol car, I think I see a problem.

Edited by veryoldbear on 08/06/2020 at 17:23

Electric Scrappage - Bromptonaut

If Boris gives us £6000 to buy an electric car and they all cost £6000 more than the equivalent petrol car, I think I see a problem.

Is there any suggestion he might do that?

Electric Scrappage - Trilogy.

Yes, and I doubt any more thought will be put into it than last time. Countless good cars scrapped because politicians were too lazy/stupid to think the policy through properly. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/uk-government-launch-new-car-scrappage-scheme

Edited by Trilogy. on 08/06/2020 at 18:40

Electric Scrappage - Sulphur Man

Just a suggestion at the moment.

If it's meant to stimulate British manufacturing, it will fail. 'We' only make two here - the Nissan Leaf and the Mini E. All the rest are imported, even the Vauxhall Corsa Electric.

So, if you're in the market for one of those EVs, you can work around the usability limitations, you can charge conveniently on your property, and you have a rubbish car to trade-in, then walk right this way, sir. I'd say that's about 0.2% of the population.

Electric Scrappage - alan1302

What's the problem?

Electric Scrappage - barney100

Basic cross about 15k, electric one seems to over 30k unless I'm missing something.... which s not unusual. Interestingly they advertise a 209 mile range. A little look and you find that at 70 Mph at 15 degrees outside temperature (centigrade) it's about 110 miles on a full charge.

Electric Scrappage - John F

Apart from high milers with a guaranteed no queue fast charge at either end of journey, the best place for electric cars is on a scalextric track. For a genuine non-polluting option I don't understand why, instead of paying millions to renewable energy producers to stop their windmills, we are not using surplus electricity from wind turbines and solar panels (they should be on every big warehouse in the country) to make hydrogen.

Electric Scrappage - Terry W

Assuming Brexit now happens would Boris be free to apply scrappage or subsidy schemes only to those cars manufactured in the UK.

Assuming Brexit now happens would Boris be free to apply scrappage or subsidy schemes only to those cars manufactured in the UK.

Depends - in theory then yes I suppose he could do but we may agree a trade deal with the EU that says we can't.

Electric Scrappage - Sofa Spud

Apart from high milers with a guaranteed no queue fast charge at either end of journey, the best place for electric cars is on a scalextric track. For a genuine non-polluting option I don't understand why, instead of paying millions to renewable energy producers to stop their windmills, we are not using surplus electricity from wind turbines and solar panels (they should be on every big warehouse in the country) to make hydrogen.

What would you use the hydrogen for?

Grid scale battery storage is what we need.

Electric Scrappage - daveyjp

Large scale hydrogen manufacture is being considered using renewable energy. H21 project.

The hydrogen gas will replace methane in the national gas network, just as methane replaced town gas during the 60s and 70s.

Electric Scrappage - Andrew-T

Large scale hydrogen manufacture is being considered using renewable energy. H21 project. The hydrogen gas will replace methane in the national gas network, just as methane replaced town gas during the 60s and 70s.

So every household will need its burners adjusted for a different fuel - again. I remember it well.

Electric Scrappage - Zippy123

Hydrogen catalysed with oxygen via a fuel cell produces electricity.

Much quicker recharging times than batteries alone. Of course producing hydrogen from the plentiful oceans and compressing it requires lots of energy - ideally using wind turbines and nuclear energy at night when demand tends to be lower. Storing the stuff is a bit of a paid as well.

(Nuclear power tends not to cost much once the cost of the building the plant is removed so plants are run at full capacity).

......surplus electricity from wind turbines and solar panels (they should be on every big warehouse in the country) to make hydrogen.

Cars, e.g.Hyundai Nexo.

Hydrogen would be more compact and convenient - and far less polluting than batteries. No need for all those expensive materials obtained at great cost from abroad to make them, no need for expensive recycling when they wear out and no need to carry a heavy power-sapping battery underneath the car.

Electric Scrappage - Sofa Spud

If hydrogen fuel cells were the answer, then that's the way the industry would be going. Instead it's mostly going towards battery electric. Heavy battery packs don't seem prevent electric cars being more energy efficient than petrol or diesel ones. Plus electric cars have regenerative braking, which compensates for any weight penalty. And in a well thought-out design, an electric car has a lot more free space withing the shape, as with Tesla cars - although some other electric cars appear have as much gubbins under the bonnet as a petrol or diesel one!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 09/06/2020 at 17:35

Most hydrogen today is produced using natural gas. It is a hugely inefficient process and certainly not green.

Even if hydrogen is generated from water using energy provided by solar, wind, wave, etc it is still very inefficient in terms of energy produced.

Note that every time energy changes form - eg: electricity to hydrogen and back again - there are losses. There are also costs of compressing the gas, storage and trasportation.

The only question is whether hydrogen as a way of STORING energy is better than batteries - and to my mind the answer is no (bar a few very limited applications)

Electric Scrappage - RT

Most hydrogen today is produced using natural gas. It is a hugely inefficient process and certainly not green.

Even if hydrogen is generated from water using energy provided by solar, wind, wave, etc it is still very inefficient in terms of energy produced.

Note that every time energy changes form - eg: electricity to hydrogen and back again - there are losses. There are also costs of compressing the gas, storage and trasportation.

The only question is whether hydrogen as a way of STORING energy is better than batteries - and to my mind the answer is no (bar a few very limited applications)

But if it's generated using spare/excess electricity that would otherwise be wasted it becomes very efficient - eg, using spare wind generated power overnight when demand is lower.

Hydrogen is a more efficient PORTABLE source of energy than batteries.

Electric Scrappage - focussed

"Hydrogen is a more efficient PORTABLE source of energy than batteries"

That statement is so wrong that you need to read up up on why it's wrong.

Electric Scrappage - RT

"Hydrogen is a more efficient PORTABLE source of energy than batteries"

That statement is so wrong that you need to read up up on why it's wrong.

It may not be as safe (by a long way) but it is more efficient as the energy density is higher.

Electric Scrappage - focussed

At room temperature and pressure, hydrogen's density is so low that it contains less than one-three-hundredth the energy in an equivalent volume of gasoline.

Electric Scrappage - RT

At room temperature and pressure, hydrogen's density is so low that it contains less than one-three-hundredth the energy in an equivalent volume of gasoline.

That's why it's stored under pressure - to increase the energy density

Electric Scrappage - galileo

That's why it's stored under pressure - to increase the energy density

Which suggests it should be stored at 300 Bar. This is the normal pressure for scuba divers' bottles, if you have humped these about you would wonder how much weight you'd save compared to batteries.

<< That's why it's stored under pressure - to increase the energy density >>

Not really - it's mainly to get enough fuel into a practical volume. And doing that requires a high-pressure container weighing a lot more than a normal plastic petrol tank.

Electric Scrappage - Engineer Andy

But if it's generated using spare/excess electricity that would otherwise be wasted it becomes very efficient - eg, using spare wind generated power overnight when demand is lower.

Hydrogen is a more efficient PORTABLE source of energy than batteries.

What 'spare electricity'? We're already dangerously close to regular power cuts as it is, and that's before the current generation of nuclear power stations are decommissioned - before, I might add, all those 'nice' Chinese-made ones are built and ready to go.

Hydrogen, like the existing liquid and gaseous fuels is obviously more portable, transportable than batteries, but as the previous commentor said, it requires it to be produced near large bodies or water and literally huge amounts of electricity to produce a small amoutn of the gas - the example that HJ cited last year at the Toyota factory in Japan had to use a football pitch worth of PV panels and a 'production and filling station' the size of a supermaket filling station just to provide enough hydrogen to keep 4-6 pallet lifters going for 1 day - imagine how much would be needed for 40M cars, let alone HGVs?

We already have enough of our green and pleasant land ruined by field of PV panels (which could be used for farming - reducing our carbon footprint far more) and often not-in-operation wind turbines.

Better to develop all the technologies organically over many years/decades to give them time to mature, fix the many technical and yes, environmental issues whilst improving petrol and diesel vehicles further, introducing more, better hybrids (especially plug-in) and, more importantly, making home-based electricity production cheap and easy to accomplish.

Electric Scrappage - RT

What 'spare electricity'? We're already dangerously close to regular power cuts as it is, and that's before the current generation of nuclear power stations are decommissioned - before, I might add, all those 'nice' Chinese-made ones are built and ready to go.

At night, wind turbines often produce more electricity than needed - that excess energy is "spare"

At night, wind turbines often produce more electricity than needed - that excess energy is "spare"

Not always - it varies, depending upon the amount of wind - too much or too little and they don't generate anything. I've seen enough data to know that its so variable that it cannot be used as a reliable 'base load', and besides, even if it could where is all that hydrogen going to be safely and securely stored?

Don't forget that it is the lightest element, meaning huge (far bigger than for natural gas) and pressurised storage is also very expensive (it is more prone to leaking) and in today's world would require significant investment in security.

I've yet to be convinced, but if the issues can be overcome, then we could be onto a winner.

Electric Scrappage - madf

......surplus electricity from wind turbines and solar panels (they should be on every big warehouse in the country) to make hydrogen.

Cars, e.g.Hyundai Nexo.

Hydrogen would be more compact and convenient - and far less polluting than batteries. No need for all those expensive materials obtained at great cost from abroad to make them, no need for expensive recycling when they wear out and no need to carry a heavy power-sapping battery underneath the car.

Instead you need an industrial quality tank and pipeline in thh car to withstand the pressures. And catalysts to oxidise it in a fuel cell. (VERY expensive materials)

And if stored as a liquid, your tank will naturally empty itself through evaporation over 2-3 days...

And if stored as a gas, a much smaller range...

<< And if stored as a liquid, your tank will naturally empty itself through evaporation over 2-3 days... >>

If it did that, you would have a serious explosion risk on your hands.

Electric Scrappage - expat

I don't understand why, instead of paying millions to renewable energy producers to stop their windmills, we are not using surplus electricity from wind turbines and solar panels (they should be on every big warehouse in the country) to make hydrogen.

One of the gas companies over here (West Australia) is experimenting with using solar electricity to produce hydrogen and are then injecting it into their gas mains. It seems to be safe enough - I haven't heard of anyone's house blowing up. Whether it is cost effective is yet to be seen.

I agree regenerative braking is a big plus for EVs, but I would contend that hydrogen refuelling is a lot safer than any old - or young - Tom Dick or Harriet grabbing a hose and squirting almost explosive fluid into a large can via an unsealed connection.

Electric Scrappage - galileo

I don't understand why, instead of paying millions to renewable energy producers to stop their windmills, we are not using surplus electricity from wind turbines and solar panels (they should be on every big warehouse in the country) to make hydrogen.

One of the gas companies over here (West Australia) is experimenting with using solar electricity to produce hydrogen and are then injecting it into their gas mains. It seems to be safe enough - I haven't heard of anyone's house blowing up. Whether it is cost effective is yet to be seen.

When we changed over from town gas which contained hydrogen, carbon monoxide and small amounts of methane, to natural gas from the North Sea, which is almost all methane, every domestic cooker, boiler and gas fire had to be converted with different burners: hydrogen flame fronts move much faster than methane, so large percentages of hydrogen could cause problems in appliances designed for natural gas.

As it's a trial, I doubt if it's currently of the scale that would be possibly unsafe, given I would suspect a LOT of (expensive) safety precautions have been taken.

Besides, Australia is mostly open space - imagine putting yet more gas lines (and ones that are much more dangerous than natural gas) under the UK's already congested land.

But again, it's the sheer amount of water and electrivity needed to produce it that is staggering - we already have too much fields of PV and landscapes despoiled with wind turbines (pitcuresque windmills they ain't), especially when (as I said earlier) such areas should be either farmed or left for their natural beauty.

PV panels of roofs are fine, but obviously cannot be used to generate much hydrogen onb most as they are too small, and they need to use sea water, not (already scarce) fresh water, meaning that only coastal of increadibly wet areas could have production plants.

<< ... we already have too much fields of PV and landscapes despoiled with wind turbines (pitcuresque windmills they ain't), .. >>

That's your opinion, Andy. I tend to agree about solar panels, which should be put on any available roof, where the power can be used at source (as it is on my roof). But I don't share your view on turbines, as I don't really see why small clapped-out ones are picturesque (so OK) while new enormous ones at least work usefully, and can be regarded as elegant - especially by an 'Engineer'.

Before the small wind farm near here was built a few years ago I attended a local 'protest meeting' and listened to the nimbies basically saying 'I'm all in favour of wind power but not where I can see it'. To add weight to their case they claimed that there would be an intolerable hum. I walked past a couple of turbines last week and could hear a low thrumming, so inaudible in the town - the M56 obliterates it.

Electric Scrappage - glidermania

What utter d*****. And no, hydrogen isnt the way despite HJ constantly banging on about it. Here's a vid why hydrogen isnt a good idea as well.

youtu.be/gu1v7d7-Wh0

Never ceases to amaze me the number of ill informed people there are out there regarding EVs but hey ho, there'll always be some luddites.

Edited by glidermania on 10/06/2020 at 23:21

What utter d*****. And no, hydrogen isnt the way despite HJ constantly banging on about it. Here's a vid why hydrogen isnt a good idea as well.

youtu.be/gu1v7d7-Wh0

Never ceases to amaze me the number of ill informed people there are out there regarding EVs but hey ho, there'll always be some luddites.

A good look at Hydrogen is here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MzFfuNOtY

Not d*****, but a point of view with which you appear to disagree.

youtu.be/gu1v7d7-Wh0

Most of this gratuitously vulgar video pans the use of methane derived hydrogen in a piston engine. I had in mind the electrolytic production of hydrogen for fuel cell EVs.

Never ceases to amaze me the number of ill informed people there are out there regarding EVs

Here's a somewhat more polite video that an ill-informed luddite might find interesting....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU-LDZ0HTGc

Edited by John F on 11/06/2020 at 15:33

Producing hydrogen from water requires massive amounts of electricity. But very little water - 11% by weight is hydrogen, the rest oxygen.

To produce 1kg of hydrogen (which has approx 33KWh of energy) uses approx 42KWh of electricity. So producing hydrogen is approx 75% efficient. This excludes compression, transport and losses in storage.

A fuel cell is approx 50% efficient. This is better than an ICE at around 30%, but much worse than an electric motor which is over 90% efficient in converting stored power into motion.

In summary - taking electricity and converting it to hydrogen to use in a fuel cell to make more electricity wastes over 60% of the electrical energy. The definition of insanity???

Electric Scrappage - Brit_in_Germany

Since even a CHP generator is only running at 75% efficiency, a fuel cell route seems to have similar figures to a battery based system.

Electric Scrappage - corax
In summary - taking electricity and converting it to hydrogen to use in a fuel cell to make more electricity wastes over 60% of the electrical energy. The definition of insanity??

You could argue that an internal combustion engine that runs on a a finite source of fuel and is only 20% efficient is insanity, unless you don't care about future generations and assume that they will go back to the horse and cart.

Electric Scrappage - Hugh Watt

Thanks for that link, John - amazingly informative (and entertainingly delivered) for this non-scientist! Notably, it addresses Terry W's arguments on efficiency in a well-balanced and pragmatic way, I thought.

Clearly hydrogen is inefficient in comparison but if you put care of the environment at the top of your priorities it is a clear winner. If tobacco can be almost taxed and tabooed out of existence, so can fossil fuels. Perhaps H fuel cells will develop in parallel with batteries, on which Elon Musk has bet the farm. Diesel and steam engines were made together for at least 50yrs for heavy duty work on fields, roads, rail and sea. In the USA gasoline, electric and steam cars co-existed for a long time. It's interesting that the largest car maker in the world (Toyota) does not offer a purely electric mass market car.

Agree with your sentiments, John, but unfortunately human nature is to live for the present and the immediate future. Coming generations will have to solve their own problems and will presumably rely on science & tech to come up with answers. Personally (motoring connection) I have always preferred vehicles with low consumption figures, driving them fairly gently. Until there were so many that their combined exhausts became a public nuisance.

Just now many of the bored, frustrated or unemployed younger generations seem to be more concerned with what people did 200 years ago, destroying memorials their ancestors put up because it seemed a nice idea, at a time before P-C had been invented. It's because it's 'summer' under lockdown, and an incident in Minnesota has provided a trigger.

The elephant in the room is the exponentially growing world population, but while 'wokeness' rules no politician will dare to tackle that problem, especially Mr Bolsonaro.