Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - KCSRenault

Hello, I have a vauxhall 2.0 cdti Astra GTC,

I notice in the service book it says to change the oil every 12 months or 20,000 miles.

As long as i have owned the car i get the oil and filter changed every 10,000 miles, along with a full service at each 20,000 miles.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of problems with these cars if they are serviced every 20,000 miles as the handbook states?

It must have an effect by the time the cars reach over 100,000 miles?

It seems a very long time to go with the same oil?

Cheers

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - RT

Modern cars have long oil change intervals to appease the fleet/business owners and allow them to minimise their costs - I wouldn't want to buy an ex-fleet car at 3 years old that's only been serviced every 20,000 miles.

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - Andrew-T

As has been said, the reason for advised long service intervals is so that fleets can return new cars for resale without any warranted service being necessary.

The ex-rental diesel Pug 207 I bought 11 years ago, 8 months old with 13K miles, had a printed sticker in place of a first service stamp, basically saying 'don't worry, the warranty is still valid'. It has turned out to be perhaps the most trouble-free car I have owned in over 50 years driving. But I would claim that is because I have changed its oil and filter every 8K instead of the 12K recommended. I advise you to do likewise if you hope to keep the car for years.

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - bathtub tom
I notice in the service book it says to change the oil every 12 months or 20,000 miles.

Does it add perhaps: Whichever comes first?

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - Railroad.

A car that clocks up 20,000 miles in 12 months will be very different from one that takes 5 years to cover 20,000 miles. The best engines are those that clock up a lot of miles very quickly, and the worst ones are those that only ever do short trips when cold. So that being said you should remember that time is more important than miles covered when it comes to how often a car should be serviced.

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - luddite

Does it add perhaps: Whichever comes first?

comma brand lla025 long life quotes 2 years

. I do not follow why vauxhall "longlife" says 1 year regardless of miles and the container says 5 year shelf life

a friinds garge puts in astra h ,1.4 acea c3 unknown brand every year and it seems to lubricate the camshaft better than GM brand in mine with same engine.

Also isnt multigrde supposed to increase in viscosity with temp but you drain the oil when warm! Try warming some oil in a tin and it flows better!

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - bathtub tom

Also isnt multigrde supposed to increase in viscosity with temp!

No. A 20W-50 would be equivalent to a 20W when cold and a 50W when hot.

Suggested reading: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33871

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - RT
Also isnt multigrde supposed to increase in viscosity with temp but you drain the oil when warm! Try warming some oil in a tin and it flows better!

No - it just doesn't get as thin as it warms up

<< I do not follow why vauxhall "longlife" says 1 year regardless of miles and the container says 5 year shelf life. >>

Shelf life means what it says - sitting unopened on the shelf at ambient temperature. Under those conditions nothing happens to oil in decades. After weeks and months churned round in a hot engine it's chemically different.

<< Also isn't multigrade supposed to increase in viscosity with temp but you drain the oil when warm! Try warming some oil in a tin and it flows better! >>

No oil increases in viscosity with temp, it's a basic law of physics. Multigrade just gets thinner more slowly than a 'regular' oil.

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - luddite

<< I do not follow why vauxhall "longlife" says 1 year regardless of miles and the container says 5 year shelf life. >>

Shelf life means what it says - sitting unopened on the shelf at ambient temperature. Under those conditions nothing happens to oil in decades. After weeks and months churned round in a hot engine it's chemically different.

<< Also isn't multigrade supposed to increase in viscosity with temp but you drain the oil when warm! Try warming some oil in a tin and it flows better! >>

No oil increases in viscosity with temp, it's a basic law of physics. Multigrade just gets thinner more slowly than a 'regular' oil

sae no.s are misleading that multigrade oil is thicker at higher temp and will protect big ends better

i .quote your info

These examples show viscosities at different temperatures:

Grade................0degC............10degC...... .........40degC...............100degC

0w-40...............665cst.............354cst........ ..........82cst................14cst
5w-40...............842cst............ 430cst..................91cst................14cst
10w-40.............874cst.............440cst .................91cst................14cst
15w-40...........1260cst.............595cst........... ......107cst................14cst

Vauxhall 2.0 CDTI - 20,000 mile service intervals - Vauxhall - John F

It's a bit of a misnomer. It really means 'long distance'. Oil, like most other commodities in tins or bottles, does not go off after 365 days. The 'one year' advice is purely for the benefit of the garage trade.

For a rep's 20000 miles a year on mainly fast roads at an overall average of, say, 40 mph, that's 500 hours of churning - three weeks. That will indeed affect the lubricity. But if a pensioner averages 30mph over a mere 5000 miles, that's only 167 hours, less than a week. Assuming the engine gets fully warmed (modern small engines get warm very quickly), there is clearly no need to change the oil yet. Tractor engines, which probably work harder than car engines, do around 500 hours between changes.

Whether on a shelf or in a virtually airtight sump, oil won't 'go off' like it used to do in old cars when it was contaminated by moisture and micro-organisms. Older drivers will remember the characteristic rotting oil pong when following one of these!

Edited by John F on 07/06/2020 at 10:06

i .quote your info

These examples show viscosities at different temperatures:

Grade................0degC............10degC...... .........40degC...............100degC

0w-40...............665cst.............354cst........ ..........82cst................14cst
5w-40...............842cst............ 430cst..................91cst................14cst
10w-40.............874cst.............440cst .................91cst................14cst
15w-40...........1260cst.............595cst........... ......107cst................14cst

And your point is what ? All the grades match at 100°C, as indicated.