Hot smell from rear wheel post service. - badbusdriver

Had my 2010 Caddy 2.0 in for a service earlier in the week. I have not had the invoice yet, so i'm not sure exactly what has been done.

First two days i was working after this, no issues at all. The third day (yesterday) i arrived at my destination, got out and immediately noticed a hot smell. Investigation revealed the o/s rear wheel was hot. Now to my untrained mind, this suggested a binding brake. But, while i have not had the opportunity to jack up the rear to try and spin the offending wheel, it certainly doesn't feel like it is binding. The driveway on which i was parked at the time was on a very slight slope and upon releasing the handbrake the van immediately started moving. Also, never noticed it again for the rest of the day, as well as not having noticed anything the previous two days.

I will get in touch with my trusted indy next week, but in the meantime, i wondered if any of the more learned forum members had any suggestions of what might have caused this?.

BTW, while i was checking the wheels for heat, i did notice that i appear to have new discs (and presumably pads) all round.

Also, i was thinking whether or not i had driven differently yesterday. The only thing i could come up with was that my final few miles yesterday morning involved tanking along the dual carriageway on the vans speed limiter (70mph), a very rare occurrence for me, i'm usually never above 60mph. Not being sure how a speed limiter on a van works, i did wonder if theis could somehow have been responsible?.

Hot smell from rear wheel post service. - gordonbennet

I'm going for a sticking rear caliper piston/slider, but it might be the self adjusting park brake mechanism (i'm assuming this is the type) somehow clicked one too many and brought the pads too close.

Can't imagine your hell drivers routine would make this happen :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/05/2020 at 12:21

Hot smell from rear wheel post service. - badbusdriver

I'm going for a sticking rear caliper piston/slider, but it might be the self adjusting park brake mechanism (i'm assuming this is the type) somehow clicked one too many and brought the pads too close.

Can't imagine your hell drivers routine would make this happen :-)

I'll let my indy know and see what he says. Hopefully it will turn out to be a one off incident!.

Thanks GB