What's the make of that trickle charger? - KB.

The one that everyone in the know reckons is the standard by which all the others are judged?

My current one (from Lidl or Aldi has just stopped working). I bought it 6 years ago and have used it very occasionally but have been using it a bit more over the last few weeks.

Flash of inspiration - Is it CTEK?

If it is, then it looks like you can get a 3.8A (which is the present one is) for £58 with 2 yr warranty (or £79 with a 5 yr warranty.)

They also do a 5A for £87 with a 5 yr warranty or a bit less with a 2 yr warranty.

The 7A and the 10 A are obviously more ... and have either 2 or 5 yr warranties.

I seem to have got by with a 3.8A model but guess most would say get the 5A at the minimum?

Any thoughts before I fork out on one?

What's the make of that trickle charger? - thunderbird

I bought a Gunsons charger back in 1989. Its the same type as the CTEC (but bigger) and on the lower rate can be left on permanently for things such and golf carts and wheelchairs.

31 years later still working fine and cost loads less than the CTEC.

Had a quick look but cannot see them now, times have moved on.

I can see a 77117 for £57

What's the make of that trickle charger? - groaver

I've got the CTEK MXS 5.0.

Seems to do a good job at keeping both cars batteries charged.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - Will deBeast

I rate the CTEK, but when I had an issue with one I couldn't get any response from them - a couple of years ago - so I wouldn't over-rely on the warranty.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - Andrew-T

Mine's a Selmar, rated with 6A output. I can't remember when I got it, but it still works and can't have been expensive, I don't buy expensive things :-)

As it proclaims enthusiastically - Made in England - it's probably no longer available ... :-(

Coincidentally, just bumped into the local independant mechanic I use.

Happened to mention the charger. Said I was thinking CTEK but mentioned Gunson to him.

He immediately said go with CTEK - and that Gunson used to be good but has gone downhill in more modern times.

He said they do klits whereby you fix a wire to the battery and plug it into the CTEK cable to make it easier when using it to keep the battery in good condition.

Mine's a Selmar, rated with 6A output. I can't remember when I got it, but it still works and can't have been expensive, I don't buy expensive things :-)

As it proclaims enthusiastically - Made in England - it's probably no longer available ... :-(

Didn't they used to do car alarms?

What's the make of that trickle charger? - gordonbennet

I found the CTEK version no more reliable than the Lidl jobbies, and it pegging out unbeknown to me cost a nearly new Varta battery.

I'm back to my old school 4/11amp unitelligent charger, probably see me out.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - Ian D
I have a MX4003 CTEK one and a Lidl one, the CTEK one can be attached with the battery still connected, the Lidl one says disconnect the battery, so the CTEK one is by far the better choice
What's the make of that trickle charger? - Ian D
Also if there is a power cut the CTEK one carries on charging when the power returns whereas the Lidl one goes to standby, so another plus for the CTEK
What's the make of that trickle charger? - focussed
Also if there is a power cut the CTEK one carries on charging when the power returns whereas the Lidl one goes to standby, so another plus for the CTEK

The Aldi chargers also carry on charging at the trickle rate after a power cut, I lost a newish motorcycle battery due to one of the Lidl chargers so they are being replaced, those that haven't ended up in the bin already that is - 50% failure rate on them!

The Aldi chargers also carry on charging at the trickle rate after a power cut, I lost a newish motorcycle battery due to one of the Lidl chargers so they are being replaced, those that haven't ended up in the bin already that is - 50% failure rate on them!

Ta for the responses.

Not entirely 100% positive feeling for CTEK.

Won't get one straight away. Will chew on it.

Can't remember what I paid for my present one - can't have been all that much and I've had it 6 years - but in all honesty it's not had much use.

I was going to ring CTEK with a couple of queries but they don't give their number - not something that endears a business to me.

Had a quick look round online including the Auto Express test of battery chargers - whose top three were CTEK, Sealey and Maypole.

Was seriously considering the Maypole model they recommended as it was half the price of the CTEK, and Amazon were doing that one for £39, delivered and Auto Express were seemingly happy with it. But then noticed that Mayplole do a 4 amp version for around £20 AND it comes with the, permanently connected, connector cable kit that does away with the spring clamps. Similar to what CTEK do, except CTEK charge extra for the connector kit whereas Maypole include it for nothing.

I have two cars so I've ordered one for each car, meaning that I get a permanent connector kit for each car and, at £20 each, I've only spent £40 in total and have a spare charger in case one goes wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions which helped whittle it down. I suppose the CTEK is the serious solution (it had a 5 year warranty) but one contributor (above) wasn't all that impressed with CTEK's service and one or two forum members on other sites weren't entirely convinced that CTEK was worth double the cost of other options - so we'll see what happens.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - sandy56

I have the Maypole Smart Chargers 4 amp I think, and one Cteck MX5 charger. Of the two the Ctek is the better more sophisticated more expensive, charger.

I have relegated the Maypoles to other duties and just use the Cteck on our cars. Found that Cteck just failed the battery( fault light showing) in my new 2nd hand car. I have found the Ctek to be accurate in its fault finding. The Maypole hadnt showed anything wrong.

The RAC had checked the battery last week and said it was "serviceable" and that the car warranty doesnt cover the battery, what a surprise.

Varta quality is obviously not what it, was battery is 4 years old- 50k miles.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - dan86

I have the Maypole Smart Chargers 4 amp I think, and one Cteck MX5 charger. Of the two the Ctek is the better more sophisticated more expensive, charger.

I have relegated the Maypoles to other duties and just use the Cteck on our cars. Found that Cteck just failed the battery( fault light showing) in my new 2nd hand car. I have found the Ctek to be accurate in its fault finding. The Maypole hadnt showed anything wrong.

The RAC had checked the battery last week and said it was "serviceable" and that the car warranty doesnt cover the battery, what a surprise.

Varta quality is obviously not what it, was battery is 4 years old- 50k miles.

Changed batter on my 10 year old work car Suzuki sx4 in 2018 so 8 years old at the time, original battery from the factory this was a varta . I've always found their batteries to be excellent, maybe yours was a duff one but 4 years is considered good for a battery.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - thunderbird

Changed battery on my 10 year old work car Suzuki sx4 in 2018 so 8 years old at the time,

Last battery I replaced was exactly 8 years old on a Focus, seems like a good age to me, way better than batteries in my youth. It was absolutely fine one day and totally dead the next. Tried charging it but after 12 hours although it showed good voltage it would not start the car. Chap at the factors said it was common with modern batteries that they die instantly rather than slowly.

Replaced it with a Yuasa which cured the problem instantly, no more issues for another 3 years when we sold the car.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - Andrew-T

<< 4 years is considered good for a battery. >>

It must depend on how hard a life it has led, how many charge/discharge cycles it has had. My 12-year-old diesel Pug has the original battery but has only done 78K miles, without many regular short journeys or much night driving in winter.

Batteries usually pack up quickly because of the failure of one cell.

UPDATE.

Ordered just after midnight on the 16th (yesterday) - arrived at my doorstep just now ... that's not much more than 24 hours later.

Fitted the ring terminal connector leads (having first plugged the " 9 volt battery saver" into the cigarette lighter socket to save re-setting any lost settings).

Turned it on and it's going about it's business perfectly happily.

For £20, inc. next day delivery, I'm suitably impressed.

It cost 75% less than a CTEK so if it lasts 6 years - as the Aldi one did - I reckon I'll be satisfied.

What's the make of that trickle charger? - gordonbennet

Result KB, bargain all round too.

Must admit to being ever so slightly chuffed. Glad I bought two now. (As was mentioned, I got the extra one for the ring terminal lead for the Mrs. car - but it'll also serve as an inexpensive spare).

If anyone's interested it's called a Maypole MP7423 6/12volt 4amp Electronic Smart Charger and was cheapest on Amazon (some places were asking lots more).

It feels quite solid and I haven't found the catch yet - certainly not too taxing to use .. literally plug and play and it sorts itself out.