Urgent Advice Please - Caz80MJ

Hello, I've been reading these forums and it seems like a good place to get advice without being trolled. I parked in a supermarket a couple of days ago and when I got out of my car, the car next to me had a huge white scuff mark (both cars black). My issue is, I didn't see or hear my car door touch theirs and there isn't a single mark on my door. The mark on theirs was about 12 inches tall and 3 inches wide, so I thought that can't possibly have been me, to get that sort of mark, surely you'd have to slam your door into theirs. I know nothing about car paintwork, it didn't appear to be a scratch, but was a large white mark.

I didn't think much more about it until I got home. I checked my door again and there isn't a mark on it, but there more I thought about it, the more I can't help thinking that maybe I could have done it. The mark was V shared and my door is that angle (I have no clue if that's common of a lot of cars). Every car I've owned has been scratched/dinged in car parks, so if the wind had caught my door and it had slammed into the car next to me, I would have stayed till they returned (I know how frustrating it is).

My question is, should I log it with 101, or police online accident reporting? I need to do it ASAP if you think I should. The car park does have CCTV and the more it's played on my mind, the more I've been Googling. From what I've read, if the other owner wants CCTV footage they have to call the police. If the police are involved and they say I did cause the damage, then I'm worried I will be accused of leaving the scene of an accident.

For all I know the mark was old, or would just rub off, but I can't stop thinking about it. If I log it with 101 and the other party never gets in touch, will the police do anything or just file and bin it down the line. Also, if I log it with 101, is that an admission of guilt?

To be clear, if I did cause the damage, which I'm still not convinced I did, I would pay in full, that's not the issue, its the legal side of it I'm unsure on.

Thanks

PS I've titled it urgent because its already 30 hours since it happened, so if you all advise to log it, I want to do it ASAP

Edited by Caz80MJ on 03/05/2020 at 08:00

Urgent Advice Please - thunderbird

the car next to me had a huge white scuff mark (both cars black).

So you drive a black and and the car next to you is black but has a "huge" white scuff mark.

there isn't a single mark on my door.

Thus how could it be your car.

Its obvious to me that the scuff was there before you parked so I suggest you forget it and move on with life.

Urgent Advice Please - Avant

Don't worry about it.

If you'd hit the other car hard enough to cause damage:

- you'd have made a dent, not a scuff mark (someone must have been moving to cause a scuff mark)

- if the impact had been hard enough to break the paintwork, you'd have noticed it.

Someone else did it.

Urgent Advice Please - Caz80MJ

Thanks for both of your replies. So you wouldn't log it via 101 online, just to cover your back? Sorry, I'm a ridiculous worry wart and keep thinking the police are going to turn up. It happened to a colleague of mine who had police show up at work (company car) saying she had backed into another car in a supermarket, she knew nothing about it. But that's why its on my mind. I am not in touch with her to know if she got in trouble.

Urgent Advice Please - thunderbird

So you wouldn't log it via 101 online, just to cover your back?

Would you phone the Police to tell them you had not just committed the murder shown on TV simply to cover yourself?

Of course not so forget and stay safe.

Urgent Advice Please - ZionWill

The main thing here is not to make hasty conclusions and correctly weigh everything and make a decision

Urgent Advice Please - galileo

The main thing here is not to make hasty conclusions and correctly weigh everything and make a decision

The main thing is not to clog up a motoring forum with inane remarks, which you seem to be doing today. Why not make a placard and walk around the streets instead?