Mechanical - Handbrakes - ralph278

Last night, on TV. Car rolled down hill into building

Police officer noted that brakes get hot, you put handbrake on, they cool, handbrake loosens

Turned out the handbrake hadn't been set firmly

But I've never heard of this thermal effect. I have never read about it in a vehicle's manual.

Have you?

I would have thought that it's something that would be designed out. That the geometry of the design would be such that handbrake unaffected by change in dimensions of components due to temperature

Mechanical - Handbrakes - jc2

Only with rear disc h/brake operating directly on disc-drum would tighten.It's better to put it in gear or "park" as well.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Squirrel tail

I believe this used to happen a lot with Citroen Xantia cars with their front wheel handbrake. The heated up discs would cool and shrink when stationary. Don't think it happens so much with rear wheel handbrakes where the disc doesn't get so much use.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - John F

But I've never heard of this thermal effect.

Have you?

Yes. Surprisingly, the highway code says you MUST apply the parking brake but says nothing about leaving it in gear or 'P' - which is what I do, only rarely using the parking brake so it lasts longer before needing repair or adjustment.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - thunderbird

Have you?

Yes. Surprisingly, the highway code says you MUST apply the parking brake but says nothing about leaving it in gear or 'P' - which is what I do, only rarely using the parking brake so it lasts longer before needing repair or adjustment.

According to the muppet Policemen the Highway code tells you to leave it in gear and turn the wheels into or away from the kerb (they did not know).

Not read the Highway code since the early 70's when i passed my test to be honest, but who has?

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Terry W

The highway code only requires you to apply the handbrake if leaving the vehicle.

However those whose motoring experience dates back to the 70s and 80s will know that mechanical handbrakes were usually inffective due to drum brakes at rear, rusty siezed up pivots etc. Putting the car in gear was just a standard operating procedure on anything but a level road!

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Cris_on_the_gas

I thought most parking brakes are drum brakes. Normally on the rear hub.

Have you?

According to the muppet Policemen the Highway code tells you to leave it in gear and turn the wheels into or away from the kerb (they did not know).

Not read the Highway code since the early 70's when i passed my test to be honest, but who has?

I have. I looked up the section on parking, paras 238-252. I saw nothing about in gear and turned wheels (downhill into curb - it's the law on hills in San Francisco). Your policeman needs to do a little homework. A traffic policeman should have a copy on his person, or at least in the car.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Engineer Andy

Have you?

Not sure why you're ragging on Plod for making a usefulsuggestion, as handbrakes (parking brakes) can occasionally fail, or as the OP's one did, not be set correctly and not work later on.

Putting the car in gear (opposite direction to down the hill) after switching off and also turning the wheels in/out so if all fails, the car just rolls to the kerb, is a useful tip, especially for older vehicles.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - focussed

"Not read the Highway code since the early 70's when i passed my test to be honest, but who has?"

Predictably - I have. And the police officer you referred to as a muppet is partly correct.

Rule 252

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should:

• park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
  • select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
  • select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
  • use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox.

I have actually seen a Vectra run away down a hill after being parked.

It slowly gained speed with me chasing it trying to get into the car to apply the handbrake but it slowly rolled to the bottom of the hill without hitting anybody or anything and was stopped by a kerb. I went to the house that seemed to own the car and banged on the door, The muppet who answered the door said it had just been to vauxhall dealer to sort out the handbrake as it was always doing it. I guess he hadn't read the Highway code either!

Edited by focussed on 17/04/2020 at 23:15

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Avant

"Putting the car in gear was just a standard operating procedure on anything but a level road!"

And it's still very good advice for all even now. EPBs have been known to fail, and as said above mechanical ones can get less effective if not properly maintained.

Most modern manual cars require you to depress the clutch whe starting the engine, and this was always good practice anyway. So there should be no risk of starting accidentally in gear.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Cris_on_the_gas

"Putting the car in gear was just a standard operating procedure on anything but a level road!"

Stated in highway code para 252 - Parking on hills.

· park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly

· select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill

· select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill

use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox

Stated in highway code para 252 - Parking on hills.· park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly· select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill

Apologies for traducing policeman - I missed this very last para owing to boredom when I got to the last section 'Parking at night' - where this last advisory (no MUST) paragraph is!

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Big John

· select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill

· select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill

Myself I'd recommend the opposite re manual gear selection - If facing uphill select reverse and if facing downhill select first, thus if you car rolls a bit, eg the bit of roll as you release the footbrake and the handbrake rear suspension takes up the slack, so the engine turns in the normal direction of operation. If not it can put cam chain or cam belt tensioner mechanisms under stress - this is particularly bad for engines with oil pressure operated tensioners especially when worn.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Andrew-T

<< If facing uphill select reverse and if facing downhill select first, thus if you car rolls a bit, eg the bit of roll as you release the footbrake and the handbrake rear suspension takes up the slack, so the engine turns in the normal direction of operation. >>

It probably wouldn't happen with modern cars, but in the 'old days' what you are suggesting would be the same as push-starting. Not what you might want, at least if the hill was a steep one.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - galileo

<< If facing uphill select reverse and if facing downhill select first, thus if you car rolls a bit, eg the bit of roll as you release the footbrake and the handbrake rear suspension takes up the slack, so the engine turns in the normal direction of operation. >>

It probably wouldn't happen with modern cars, but in the 'old days' what you are suggesting would be the same as push-starting. Not what you might want, at least if the hill was a steep one.

Not the same as push starting unless you left the ignition turned on.

<< Not the same as push starting unless you left the ignition turned on. >>

Which is possible .... There's no point in inviting problems in case of absent-mindedness.

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/04/2020 at 17:12

And it's still very good advice for all even now. EPBs have been known to fail, and as said above mechanical ones can get less effective if not properly maintained.

I suspect the advice may be a carry-over from earlier days, Until quite recently most car handbrakes were cable operated. So paradoxically if the brake is habitually applied very firmly a cable might part suddenly.

Having spent several years in a cold climate it became a habit NOT to use the handbrake in case it froze on. In-gear with wheels curbed if necessary.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Falkirk Bairn

The problem with handbrakes (& foot brakes) is that they are ignored in garages until they see £££s signs - worn pads, sticky calipers, stiff handbrake levers .................... a lot of the problems (& expense) can be avoided by a wheels off fettling - pads out, calipers examined, etc etc

My Indie charges £50+VAT for the hours work. Even at £100+VAT at a main dealer it's a lot cheaper than sticking pads, scored disks and sticking calipers.

A D-i-L' Lexus CT needed new rear disks & pads in December - it was some £200 - not done at the Toyota garage with genuine parts as they intended to sell the car - it was £300+ at Toyota where the car was normally serviced. Car had done 83,000 miles on original disks & pads, pretty good but could have lasted longer had they been"serviced" instead of a squirt of brake cleaner.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - gordonbennet

I'm in your camp FB, have recently serviced the Forester brakes the Landcruiser is next, both are mechanical action drum inside disc parking brakes, which seldom give any trouble if they see a little TLC now and again, as the parking brake drums/shoes are only used for parking they don't get hot (minimal transfer of heat from the outer disc) or glazed, as apart from once in while applying the park brake gently whilst moving to clean the surfaces they get no actual use pon the move.

I'm not a fan of the design where parking brake uses the same pads as the footbrake via self adjusting mechanisms inside the calipers, not easy to exercise the pistons during periodic servicing and unless you fully strip the calipers very difficult to adequately lube the park brake adjuster, these are the types most likely to suffer cooling down runaways.

Just out of interest checked the dash menu on the lorry i drive for brake wear, axle 1 75% pads remaining, axle 2 90% remain, axle 3 (drive axle) 65% remain, covered 192k kms so about 120k miles in 15 months, the benefits of auxilliary retarders eh? wonder if Toyota hybrids with their regen braking get those sorts of figures?

Mechanical - Handbrakes - Heidfirst

wonder if Toyota hybrids with their regen braking get those sorts of figures?

Don't know about pad wear but it is quite common for the rear discs to need replaced due to lack of use/friction allowing surface rust to get more of a hold rather than wear ...

Mechanical - Handbrakes - bathtub tom

wonder if Toyota hybrids with their regen braking get those sorts of figures?

Toyota hybrids have a weird condition that means the rear discs and pads wear faster than the fronts. As you lift off, regen braking sets in on the front wheels. If you then apply the brakes, more regen and then under more pressure the rear brakes operate. only when you apply firm pressure do the fronts operate.

Mechanical - Handbrakes - gordonbennet

This fast rusting of rear discs seems to be an issue on quite a few cars, which tells me that rear discs were never needed on them in the first place and the car would have been better with rear drums for many reasons.

re the rapid wear of rear brakes on hybrids, i wonder if the vehicle's own stability systems have some input here, the previous Subaru driven not always enthusiastically by SWMBO also wore the rear pads rapidly, i put that down to whichever 3 letter acronym responsible doing its thing to stabilise the vehicle...as an aside one wonders if disabling the system might imporove fuel economy if the rear brakes are being activated individually to please the sensors.

the current Forester i have yet to see any warning lights telling me the stabilty system is operating and brake wear is normal all round, the previous Outback it didn't take too much enthusiasm to light the dash up but you can't feel if these things are coming into play because they do the job seamlessly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/04/2020 at 08:00

This fast rusting of rear discs seems to be an issue on quite a few cars, which tells me that rear discs were never needed on them in the first place and the car would have been better with rear drums for many reasons.

This imbalance has been known for a very long time. In my decades of allegiance to Pugs - mostly 205s - I have always preferred rear drum brakes. Only the early 1.9 GTi's, the 306 XSi's and perhaps the 2-litre cabrio had them AFAIK. It's not an easy balance to get right, with most braking effort thrown to the front, and the need to avoid rear-wheel lock-up.

Another reason why the reverse-racing that the Dutch seem to enjoy must be rather tricky, as the videos suggest. (Google if you've not seen them).

Mechanical - Handbrakes - focussed

All of the three cars of my own that I used for driving instruction, a Corsa C, Honda Civic 1.7 D and Civic 2.2 had no trouble with handbrake effectiveness because the handbrake lever was up and down like a fiddler's elbow all the time during driving instruction so it kept the cables, linkages and self adjusting mechanisms free and working as they should.I suspect the average driver doesn't use the handbrake much if at all!