Job losses - Penumbra

Not looking for sympathy - just want to extend good luck to any in the same position.

Went to work this afternoon (I work in retail), boss came over and said I will be out of a job in 2 weeks.

I know I can manage for the forseeable future but my thoughts go out to if you are in the same situation. There are people far worse off than me and things will get worse before they get better I'm sure but I'm determined to stay positive.

Be kind to each other and I wish you all the best.

Job losses - FP

"Bank of England boss: Don't fire people because of pandemic"

www.bbc.com/news/business-51943095

Job losses - dan86

"Bank of England boss: Don't fire people because of pandemic"

www.bbc.com/news/business-51943095

What are firms supposed to do if they go under?

Job losses - Andrew-T

What are firms supposed to do if they go under?

Apply for one of Mr Sunak's miracle loans I should think.

Job losses - dan86

I really do feel for all of those whose jobs are under threat from the economic slowdown this virus has caused as this will have a longer lasting impact on us more so than the virus.

It's not just the people who work for the airlines but the whole industry that backs them up same with the hospitality industry and all that supports it.

I was looking at starting my own business. So glad I didn't go ahead with the loan to start it up and stay where I was for the time being.

I'm just so glad I work in a industry that no matter what will always be there boom or bust.

Job losses - bathtub tom

I'm just so glad I work in a industry that no matter what will always be there boom or bust.

Midwifery or funeral director?

I was annoyed to hear this morning that food banks are worrying about supplies. Sorry, but the people that use them weren't starving to death before food banks existed and as they're probably on benefits, then they've still got a steady income unlike many of the employed that are being laid off.

Job losses - Andrew-T

Taxman ?

Job losses - dan86

Taxman ?

Nothing that glamorous I'm afraid I'm in the waste industry and we're being told to not shut down at any cost at the moment.

Job losses - Bromptonaut

I was annoyed to hear this morning that food banks are worrying about supplies. Sorry, but the people that use them weren't starving to death before food banks existed and as they're probably on benefits, then they've still got a steady income unlike many of the employed that are being laid off.

A lot of the people who use them are waiting for benefits, have had a benefit hiatus/sanction, or have had a sudden change or cost that means they cannot afford to shop. A lot of their clientele this week will have been people laid off with little in hand. There's a huge chunk of the population just a missed shift or two from being unable to meet their bills.

There's still a five week wait for Universal Credit. The massive uptick in claims this week, combined with Job Centres going into covid related near lockdown means people with new claims are waiting too long to access advances.

The growth in foodbanks is largely driven by benefit changes since 2010 so what happened before isn't much help in present.

And however regular it is £317.82/month to keep oneself fed warm and clothed isn't much of an income, however regular it is.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/03/2020 at 12:24

Job losses - alan1302

And however regular it is £317.82/month to keep oneself fed warm and clothed isn't much of an income, however regular it is.

Am always amazed at how people think people on benefits are somehow well off despite the above being what someone will get

Job losses - edlithgow

Pretty much business as usual here in Taiwan so far, which is a pretty good trick, (or just very lucky), given the fairly close China Connection. Still fairly normal numbers of people in public places and restaurants, and the schools are still open.

Healthwise I'd speculate there'll be some benefits, since mask wearing is up, offering some protection from the generally high levels of air pollution, (which Taiwanese somehow manage to be unaware of) and factory output in "The Land of Mordor, where the shadows lie" (Mainland China) is down. Some (maybe about a third) of the muck comes from there, though AFAIK at present local Taiwan muck output is not affected.

Since this is a pretty much guaranteed source of permanent damage, as opposed to a fairly low risk of contracting a disease one is likely to fully recover from. I would give it a higher priority than it gets.

There are some early signs though.

I was in a Carrefour (big French supermarket chain here) and tinned stuff and dry noodle shelves were thinned out a lot, though not yet quite bare.

The private university I work at has just announced they'll go E-learning after next week. Since this hasn't been prepared, and the systems they propose using are frankly awful, at least in English, I can't see it going well.

Time to update my resignation letter.

Job losses - SLO76
Well that’s the buses down to a Sunday service as of Monday morning until further notice so my income is certainly going to be dented. Minor issue compared to many souls who’ll suffer through all this. Hopefully it is very short term.
Job losses - dan86
Well that’s the buses down to a Sunday service as of Monday morning until further notice so my income is certainly going to be dented. Minor issue compared to many souls who’ll suffer through all this. Hopefully it is very short term.

The buses in London have been virtually empty along with the streets. It's been really eerie

Job losses - gordonbennet

First off i am no fan of the tories, in fact i haven't voted for either of the cloned 3 main parties for decades and have given up on politics after the last election.

However i have just a few minutes ago watched the Chancellor announcing the help packages available for businesses employees and yes the self employed, where he is going to get the money from i don't know (spending some of the money saved by even faster extraction from the EU i suspect), but these measures will dispel the nasty tory party accusation May came out with a few years ago once and for all.

I am seriously impressed, and have a sneaky feeling i've just been watching a future prime minister in action.

Job loss for me (unless i fail my HGV medical) is unlikely to happen, i drive a bulk tanker on foodstuffs and our workload, already constant, has seriously taken off, made easier it must be said by how empty the roads are apart from the vicinity of supermarkets, and even emptier come Monday.

Anyone heard about a London total lockdown yet, ie within M25?

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/03/2020 at 19:18

Job losses - catsdad
Future prime minister? A year ago he was tipped by an old lady I know as PM. She has known him well personally since he was a child. Hardly unbiased but I have noticed him since she mentioned him and have been impressed.

Thank goodness we got shot of the hung parliament - whoever won we need the ability to make quick decisions. We just need to watch what is going on under the radar to make sure there isn't a total lack of scrutiny.
Job losses - dan86

First off i am no fan of the tories, in fact i haven't voted for either of the cloned 3 main parties for decades and have given up on politics after the last election.

However i have just a few minutes ago watched the Chancellor announcing the help packages available for businesses employees and yes the self employed, where he is going to get the money from i don't know (spending some of the money saved by even faster extraction from the EU i suspect), but these measures will dispel the nasty tory party accusation May came out with a few years ago once and for all.

I am seriously impressed, and have a sneaky feeling i've just been watching a future prime minister in action.

Job loss for me (unless i fail my HGV medical) is unlikely to happen, i drive a bulk tanker on foodstuffs and our workload, already constant, has seriously taken off, made easier it must be said by how empty the roads are apart from the vicinity of supermarkets, and even emptier come Monday.

Anyone heard about a London total lockdown yet, ie within M25?

Not a total lock down but all pubs restaurants cafes ect have to close and be takeaway only. Only supermarkets ect to stay open. Noting about a travel ban or anything yet.

Job losses - bathtub tom

Noting about a travel ban or anything yet.

From what I saw of a couple of filling stations I cycled past today, there will be no fuel for a few days until GB and co get there

From what i've been told, watch this space.

Phew, was worried about not getting me early Greggs breakfast special, be about 6.30 ish at Trowell tomorrow, you'll hear my chin hitting the floor from where you are if they're closed :-)

Not on fuel BT, food only, interesting there are fuel shortages though, one might wonder if that's accidental seeing as so few cars on the road, if fuel runs short so will food as lorries don't run on fresh air.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/03/2020 at 20:02

Job losses - dan86

From what i've been told, watch this space.

Phew, was worried about not getting me early Greggs breakfast special, be about 6.30 ish at Trowell tomorrow, you'll hear my chin hitting the floor from where you are if they're closed :-)

Not on fuel BT, food only, interesting there are fuel shortages though, one might wonder if that's accidental seeing as so few cars on the road, if fuel runs short so will food as lorries don't run on fresh air.

At the moment their seems to be a glut of fuel it was 114.7ppl when I filled up 2 weeks ago may have gone down more by now also reports of Costco selling petrol ar 99.9ppl.

6am, good as gold, Greggs open at Trowel thismorning, presumably other motorway sites too, card payments only which is fair enough....all tables and chairs removed from the services itself, presumably other MSA's where chairs aren't bolted or built in will be the same.

Hopefully Grantham services Greggs will be open tomorrow morn by 7am, that's my planned breakfast halt on tomorrows journey.

I mention Greggs because they are the most reliable provider of a breakfast roll and good coffee at a fair price all year round for us permanently on the road, Leigh Delamare was open at 6am Boxing Day believe it or not, lifesaver when you've had a 4am start Boxing Morning.

Haven't seen any fuel shortages myself, Wooley Edge MSA was around £1.40 for Diesel when i popped in for a comfort stop (Trowell's Latte :-), so a slight reduction from the over £150 being charged at some MSA's recently, £116.7 for Diesel at the local supermarkets here.

Roads were really quiet today, almost all lorries up until about 8am, but coming back this afternoon the lorries had thinned out with a few more cars on the road than i would have expected, tomorrow should be interesting.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/03/2020 at 15:47

Job losses - Avant

I don't think we say 'thank you' nearly enough to you and all truck drivers who supply us with the goods we need - food, fuel, just about everything since that thoughtless idiot Beeching in the 1960s, and the government who backed him, made sure that the railways could never again make the contribution to freight that they used to.

I'm sure the fuel tanker drivers are working as hard as you, and with fewer people travelling there can be no excuse for a fuel shortage. There will be some cars out - it's a nice spring day, and as the editor of Autocar said this week 'what better way to self-isolate than being on your own in the car, enjoying the simple pleasure of driving?'

Thank you again.

Very kind of you to say so Avant, but i'm lucky in seeing my time out at one of the best employers one could have, i still enjoy my job so going to work is no chore, sadly this isn't the case for hundreds of thousands of other lorry drivers who's terms and conditions are little short of appalling in this day and age.

I'm hoping that the shock of what we are about to receive (this situation hasn't started yet) will bring a change in the attitudes of society as a whole, we've lost so much decency and kindness and goodwill which has been replaced by selfish grasping increasingly nasty attitudes.

I have an inkling if the usual suspects use this crisis as an ideal excuse to riot and loot when the weather warms up, stealing from the defenceless as people like that do when there's no one to stop them, they won't be facing a demoralised (by the worse Home Sec ever) and poorly led police service this time around, from what i've been told they'll be facing a rather better armed and encouraged armed forces instead who won't be standing back to let things run their course, this should have been the case in 2011 (if my memory serves) but we had one of the weakest govts/leadership in living history at the time.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/03/2020 at 16:46