Vaux, Oil Filter, Socket Size? - Cyrill666 {P}
Hi,

I have a '99 Vectra 2.0 Di and I'm about to change the oil... or not, as it seems. I don't have a socket large enough to take the top off the oil filter housing, my largest socket is 1.5" (imperial I know, but it is the largest I have) - even my large adjustable spanner won't widen enough - not that I could get it in a position to use anyway.

So, does anyboy know the correct socket size for the oil filter housing? I'm guessing around 45mm.

What with the unecessarily large socket required for the oil filter housing and the torx socket required for the sump plug - it's turning into an expensive service!

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Vaux, Oil Filter, Socket Size? - David Lacey
"What with the unecessarily large socket required for the oil filter housing and the torx socket required for the sump plug - it's turning into an expensive service!"

That's exactly as Mr GM wanted it.....difficult for the DIY'er :-(

Vaux, Oil Filter, Socket Size? - howy686
As a one-off - yes, but you can look on tools as an investment - and one in the eye for GM...
Vaux, Oil Filter, Socket Size? - wemyss
Its 36mm Cyril and has a very low torque setting.
You will probably find its a three quarter socket and you would need a half inch to three quarter adapter.
The torx is T45 also a low setting and you need a new o ring.
I always drain by being up on the ramps through a funnel into a 5 litre oil can held close to the sump plug. First time I did it with the vectra realised it held more than the capacity of the can and had the remainder down my arm.
And I should get the rubber spill pipes off the injectors replaced soon. Theres no warning it just won't start.
alvin
Thanks for eveyone's replies.

36mm... right, I'm off on a socket hunt ;)

I already have the torx socket... somewhere! I bought all the service items including 6l of semi-synth oil from the dealer yesterday, and it came to £70-something!!! Fortunately the guy behind the counter also thought the prices were high and made me a temporary member of a "trade club" resulting in the bill being knocked down to just over £30

I'll be going there again!

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Good news - 36mm is a common hub nut size - so a ½\" drive socket is readily available. Might have to be a deep socket, nonetheless.
Vaux, Oil Filter, Socket Size? - wemyss
Cyril, You may already know this but.....if your'e changing the fuel filter Haynes tell you to drain the bowl off before fitting the new one.
However if you do this you need to refill the bowl before fitting the top cover again as it takes a lot of churning over before the engine will start as there is no hand primer.
Now I leave the existing diesel in and just fit the filter although I still have to top it up slightly.
alvin
Cheers David and Alvin.

David, good news on the 36mm socket - thanks. I'll nip into Halfords today and see what they have.

Alvin, thanks for the tip :)

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Vaux, Oil Filter, Socket Size? - eMBe {P}
Seems like the Omega oil/filter change is similar to a BMW E39
www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/oil_change_...m

Cyril666: Have you considered having the job done by Kwik-fit or National (probably at a lower cost than your DIY)?
eM.Bee.{P} - the {P} after my username indicates you can view my profile.
Any luck with the socket Cyrill?

Just think....you'll be able to change the CV joints/boots in future now, with your shiny new socket!
Vaux, Oil Filter, Socket Size? - Dynamic Dave
If the Vectra hub nuts are the same size as the Cavalier, they'll be 30mm, not 36mm. So Cyrill's shiny new socket won't fit them!
Ah, that's me getting carried away Dave - I have a deep 36mm socket in my box - it's for a hub nut on Ford/VW or similar then..
Hello,

I had a trundle over to my local Halfords last night... they had space on the shelf for most sizes, including one for a ½\" drive 36mm socket... unfortunately, that one was empty! Typical. I\'m in York today, so I\'ll try Halfords there.

eM.Bee, I hadn\'t considered that to be honest, I\'ll look into it next time. Fortunately for me all my service items cost just over £30 (including all 4 filters and 6 litres of semi-synth oil) this time at least :) Actually, thinking about it, with the \"famed\" oil drain time on these engines, I\'m not sure I\'d get a complete oil change. I can\'t imagine the guys at KwikFit wanting to hang around for half an hour waiting for my oil to drain completely.

Thanks again for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Transit rear hub socket? 45mm.......??
OK, 36mm socket purchased from Halfords in York - last one they had... after a brief search in the garage for the torx bit needed for the sump plug, I completed the service no problems.

Thanks for everyones input, invaluable as always.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666