Any - Comfort - kerbed enthusiasm

Can anybody recommend a smooth, soft riding used hatchback? Currently running a C3 Picasso as a second car (which is excellent for ride quality) but I'd like something that is taken a little more seriously on the road.

Any - Comfort - SLO76
What’s the budget, £1,500 or £15000? How are you financing it? and where roughly are you?
Any - Comfort - Westbury33

In general terms avoid any cars with large wheels and low profile tyres. They might look good but do not do the ride any favours and given the roads we have I woud argue are not fir for purpose!

What’s the budget, £1,500 or £15000? How are you financing it? and where roughly are you?

6k cash and I'm in Yorkshire. I looked at a Civic 1.6 diesel (having searched this forum and seen your recommendation). It drove brilliantly and I absolutely loved it but it also really hurt my back. I've considered a C4 Cactus but the pop out rear windows and single rear bench seat are probably a compromise too far. HJ seemed to rave about the Renault 1.6dci but I'm not so sure about it's real world reliability over short runs. It's all about achieving maximum comfort combined with economy: there's no point saving £250 a year on fuel then spending £500 on repairing a diesel so - as tempting as the economy figures suggest - I think, for my mileage of 10 - 12k per year it will have to be a petrol.

Any - Comfort - Engineer Andy

6k cash and I'm in Yorkshire. I looked at a Civic 1.6 diesel (having searched this forum and seen your recommendation). It drove brilliantly and I absolutely loved it but it also really hurt my back. I've considered a C4 Cactus but the pop out rear windows and single rear bench seat are probably a compromise too far. HJ seemed to rave about the Renault 1.6dci but I'm not so sure about it's real world reliability over short runs. It's all about achieving maximum comfort combined with economy: there's no point saving £250 a year on fuel then spending £500 on repairing a diesel so - as tempting as the economy figures suggest - I think, for my mileage of 10 - 12k per year it will have to be a petrol.

As Westbury33 says, whilst the suspension makes a large difference, the choice of wheel and tyre size can make just as much and, for the budget-conscious second hand car buyer, can also mean the difference between several hundred £ in their bank account at the end of the year.

Some quite basic cars can, as sales gimics, come with relatively large alloy wheels and low profile (below 50% of the tyre width) tyres, meaning that they'll give a firm ride for most cars, be far more susceptible to kerbing damage, punctures and blowouts, which are at best expensive to fix (new tyres and expensive alloy repairs to get you back on the road again) and downright dangerous at worst.

The lower level of cushioning effect by the air in the tyres means it puts more strain on the suspension, meaning that will wear out more quickly, meaning more costly replacements sooner and a poor ride/handling until it's fixed.

Low profile tyres, forgetting the above, also don't last as long as higher profile ones, give worse mpg and are much more susceptible to aquaplaining and skidding in snowy/icy conditions. Rarely does the benefits of better general traction and cornering come into play, as long as you drive to the speed limits/road and weather conditions.

A good example of the cost implications:

A good quality 195/65 R15 tyre will cost about £50 - £70 fitted. A similar tyre of the same rolling diameter of 205/55 R16 will cost about about 10-15% more. A similar diameter low profile 18in tyre will likely cost around the £120 - £150 mark.

Suspension parts (including fitting) are more expensive, so a bit of extra cushioning by the tyres will help on both the comfort and £££ fronts.

Going the petrol route is a sensible choice and worthwhile for anyone doing under 20-25k miles per year, besides, with all the fancy extra emissions controls devices and likely new local restrictions (not just London) coming into place soon heavily penalising EU5 and below diesels (but only EU3 petrols) means that diesels aren't really worth it unless they are EU6 (around 3-4 years old), something you cannot afford by your budget. As you say, the extra mpg of a diesel is often more than outweighed by the better reliability of the petrol engines through the lower frequency and cost of parts replacements/repairs.

A standard petrol-engined car (especially non-turbos) is far more tollerant of abuse than modern common-rail, DPF-equipped diesels, and you won't necessarily know the car's usage history unless you're buying off the original/long-term owner who can reasonably prove to you it has been driven sympathetically.

I'd go for a well-cared for (full service history, few [minor only] if any MOT fails), lower-to-mid spec, petrol-engine Japanese (not Nissan though) or Korean C-sector car shod with 55 or above profile tyres, preferably on a common size combo like those two I mentioned (it'll save you a fortune on replacement tyres and alloys). Other makes and models like the Ford Focus mk2 etc can be fine if looked after.

I'm deliberately not recommending anything specific yet as some people in more rural areas have a more limited choice of cars to buy and garages to maintain them (I can understand some don't want to have to drive miles [and perhaps in the opposite direction to their workplace] to but/service the car) and thus may be somewhat limited to smaller indie dealers/garages in their area.

For you top price, you're starting to get into the 5+ year old range, so mehcnical/electrical condition, bodyshell rust-resistance (expect a bit, mainly around the wheel arches and underneath) and history is more important than the odd scratch or ding.

If you can, get one on 195/65 R15 tyres as they give a decent improvement in ride without much in handling penalty (don't ever go for cheapo tyres though - you can get decent ones for those prices I quoted, even being able to afford decent all-season tyres which would help you get round better in wintry conditions).

Take heed of SLO76's advice as he has worked in the trade, knows his stuff and is honest in his recommendations. Best of luck.

Any - Comfort - gordonbennet

Tyres make all the difference.

One that surprised me how soft the ride was a previous model Nissan Note on sensible tyres, a magic carpet ride.

Most normal cars if the tyres are minimum 55 aspect the ride will be fair, find 60 or 65 aspect and it improves more for the same vehicle, and genuine (snowflake stamped) all season tyres offer a softer compound still than pure summer tyres.

Avoid sporty styled hatchbacks would be my advice, its a close battle between the hire Focus on 17 or 18" wheels we had in Ireland or my mates 2016 Golf GTD on 19" wheels as to which gave the worse ride quality of any car i've had the misfortune to be in, wouldn't give you a thankyou for either of them.

Any - Comfort - badbusdriver

The OP's comments re the Civic shows how seat comfort is a highly personal thing. The ninth gen Civic as mentioned, is rated on this very website for its outstanding comfort and refinement yet it hurt the OP's back. Part of this may be explained by it possibly being a higher spec, or sportier version with big wheels, but not all.

I think this may simply be due to being used to a certain type of seat, in this case, Citroen. I often read that while the seats in a Citroen are comfortable over short-medium length journeys, longer ones highlight a lack of proper support. That is not to say everyone is going to find this though, so for the OP, if you like Citroen seats, the obvious choice would be to get a Citroen.

Have to say though, i am utterly baffled by this comment,

I'd like something that is taken a little more seriously on the road.

What on earth do you mean?

The OP's comments re the Civic shows how seat comfort is a highly personal thing. The ninth gen Civic as mentioned, is rated on this very website for its outstanding comfort and refinement yet it hurt the OP's back. Part of this may be explained by it possibly being a higher spec, or sportier version with big wheels, but not all.

I think this may simply be due to being used to a certain type of seat, in this case, Citroen. I often read that while the seats in a Citroen are comfortable over short-medium length journeys, longer ones highlight a lack of proper support. That is not to say everyone is going to find this though, so for the OP, if you like Citroen seats, the obvious choice would be to get a Citroen.

Drive a Picasso and find out! It doesn't matter how quickly or efficiently you drive the dratted thing, people still try to overtake! Don't get me wrong, anyone's welcome to overtake me providing they've got the power, opportunity and skill to do so and I'll happily accommodate their need but some drivers see the car and decide that, no matter what, they have to be in front - even if that means screeching into a corner and then having a crisis. I have genuinely had to take more evasive action in this car than in any of the (probably 20+) we've owned over the years. C3 Picasso drivers are presumably meant to trundle everywhere, pulling over occasionally to give way to old ladies riding tandems. It simply doesn't happen if I drive the other car: people are afraid of it.

Any - Comfort - Westbury33
=

Drive a Picasso and find out! It doesn't matter how quickly or efficiently you drive the dratted thing, people still try to overtake! Don't get me wrong, anyone's welcome to overtake me providing they've got the power, opportunity and skill to do so and I'll happily accommodate their need but some drivers see the car and decide that, no matter what, they have to be in front - even if that means screeching into a corner and then having a crisis. I have genuinely had to take more evasive action in this car than in any of the (probably 20+) we've owned over the years. C3 Picasso drivers are presumably meant to trundle everywhere, pulling over occasionally to give way to old ladies riding tandems. It simply doesn't happen if I drive the other car: people are afraid of it.

I wholly understand your point. There is a 'pecking' order on the roads, and some cars are a long way from the top. Why people see a car and jump to such conclusions I have no idea.

I spent 12 yrs driving a Mk1 Skoda Octavia, and that seemed to attract a lot of negative reaction that did not happen to drivers of Audi A3 or VW Golf MK4 which are essentialy the same car! For some <insert derogatory term here> drivers, they cant see beyond the badge/shape and see it as their right to behave in an aggressive manner because of you choice of car.

On that point, safety in numbers a good way of avoiding negative behaviour. I replaced our MK1 Octavia with a Ford Focus, and the tailgating and being pushed along reduced significantly. <insert derogatory term here> drivers would be hard pressed to behave in such a way with every Focus or Astra they encountered!

With regard to ride comfort, since handling became a priority for journalist road testers, its taken a back seat. Drive a car from the 70's, like a Peugeot 305, Citroen CX or 2CV of which I've had one of each, and you wouldnt feel any of the imperfections in the road.They could deal with a speed hump or pothole with ease.

Edited by Westbury33 on 10/03/2020 at 08:59

Any - Comfort - edlithgow

Re ""I'd like something that is taken a little more seriously on the road."sort of know what you mean.

As an extreme case, I drove a Lada in the UK in the 80's which elicited some extremely stupid overtaking behaviour, I think simply from "I'm behind THAT badge" aversion.

The Lada was a special case because it had a uniquely poor image, so that even (or especially) people who knew absolutely nothing about cars (or anything) "knew" it was a terrible car.

Here with my current car.. its perhaps even worse, because this is an extremely scruffy car, and this is an extremely status conscious culture with a low standard of driving behaviour.

Re "It simply doesn't happen if I drive the other car: people are afraid of it." I doubt fear is usually the key

(Black Mercedes often driven by gangsters a possible exception here in Taiwan)

People are probably afraid of my cars because they don't look as if they've got any brakes, and its clear I don't care about my paintwork. (They should have been afraid of the Lada, as one Fiesta driver learned to his cost) but they still want to get in front.

I think its a status thing.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/03/2020 at 02:34

To me, that request from the OP sounds like they want to have their cake and to eat it. If they want a BMW, Merc or Audi, then they'll either have to accept going for either

1. A much older, poverty-spec model to both afford it and get it shod on reasonable tyres (only getting ok comfort) like the 205/55 R16, which means it'll be of an age where the wear and tear of parts and likely higher unreliability generally will be a significant drain on their resources, or;

2. An even older mid-to-higher spec model and put up with a rock-hard ride and even worse reliability/weaer and tear problems to get that all-important amount of 'respect' from work colleagues, so-called 'friends', etc for driving a German sports saloon.

To the OP - it's just not worth it. It's only ever worth going for heart instead of head when money is no object and you have the patience of a saint. Get a list together of cars that meet your practical day-to-day needs, budget (including running/maintenance costs) and dependability first, and then see which ones you like in terms of styling and performance/handling.

Any - Comfort - John F

A good quality 195/65 R15 tyre will cost about £50 - £70 fitted. A similar tyre of the same rolling diameter of 205/55 R16 will cost about about 10-15% more. A similar diameter low profile 18in tyre will likely cost around the £120 - £150 mark.

I cannot understand why more tyre costs less money. I have just reshod my sport quattro A8 with the quietest (top of my priority list) tyres I can find from 'mytyres'. Standard 255/40 19 cost well into the three figures each. Same make and speed rating (Y) in 255/45 19 cost less than £55, plus a tenner a wheel to fit at a local competitive garage. All done for less than £250. I have increased the diameter of the wheels by 2.55cm, or 3.7%. So if the speedo reads a true 50mph, that will be 51.85mph. Theoretically it should be more comfortable but apart from being quieter, I haven't noticed any difference at all. The gearing (mph per revs) will be slightly nearer to that of its higher geared limo cousin, (A8L), which is OK for the mechanicals and OK for me.

I cannot understand why more tyre costs less money. I have just reshod my sport quattro A8 with the quietest (top of my priority list) tyres I can find from 'mytyres'. Standard 255/40 19 cost well into the three figures each. Same make and speed rating (Y) in 255/45 19 cost less than £55, plus a tenner a wheel to fit at a local competitive garage. All done for less than £250. I have increased the diameter of the wheels by 2.55cm, or 3.7%. So if the speedo reads a true 50mph, that will be 51.85mph. Theoretically it should be more comfortable but apart from being quieter, I haven't noticed any difference at all. The gearing (mph per revs) will be slightly nearer to that of its higher geared limo cousin, (A8L), which is OK for the mechanicals and OK for me.

By law you must stick to a maximum difference from the OEM fit of +1.5% or -2%. You need to go for a reduced width tyre to stay within the allowed boundaries if you wish to keep your 19in rims.

I suspect that you'd need to drop to either 18in or likely 17in rims (if that were possible) and to go for 55-60 profile tyres to make a real discernable difference to the ride quality, for a reasonable (but not huge or unsafe) penalty in handling. Getting the balance right between the two is tricky, especially for higher performance cars. It may aslso depend upon how you wish to drive it and whether you think the change will have a positive or (likely) negative impact on the car's value when it comes time to sell it, and how much that would be.

The price of the tyres is really determined by three factors - the stress and performance it needs to overcome and provide, and how popular the size combo is (supply and demand).

For example, my parents' bog-standard Fiesta comes shod on 195/50 R15 H tyres, which are not that common, limiting them to relatively few tyres on the market, many of which are older designs, and they end up costing more than the 195/65/R15 H on my Mazda3 (along with the 205/55 R16V, the UK's two most popular tyre sizes), which has about 10x as much choice, including all the latest tyres and designs.

The same goes for my car - the latest model is shod on 205/60 R16V, my old gen-1 car (before changing alloys and wheels) originally come shod on 205/55 R16V (going to H rated tyres was allowable as it's indicated in the handbook/door plate as long as I downsized to 15in). The 205/55 R16 tyres are priced (fitted) around £65 - £75, the 205/60s at around £90 - £100 each - and yet my current 195/65 R15 H come in around £55 - £60.

Any - Comfort - John F

By law you must stick to a maximum difference from the OEM fit of +1.5% or -2%.

I'd like to see legal chapter and verse. I have just reduced our Focus wheel size by 3.17% by replacing 195/60 15 winter shod wheels with 195/55 15 summer wheels. Come next winter, I shall increase the wheel size by 3.27% by reversing the process. Both sizes are printed in the Focus handbook, and I have no idea to which size the car's speedo is calibrated. And frankly, I don't give a d.............

By law you must stick to a maximum difference from the OEM fit of +1.5% or -2%.

I'd like to see legal chapter and verse. I have just reduced our Focus wheel size by 3.17% by replacing 195/60 15 winter shod wheels with 195/55 15 summer wheels. Come next winter, I shall increase the wheel size by 3.27% by reversing the process. Both sizes are printed in the Focus handbook, and I have no idea to which size the car's speedo is calibrated. And frankly, I don't give a d.............

Perhaps you don't give a flying fig, but Plod and the MOTer may well do. Admitedly, I found the +/- details from Oponeo, which only state it's 'recommended', but I do recall (though not from who or where) somewhere/body else stating it was law because of the speedo calibration issue.

I would note that handbooks cover a multitude of variant models, and thus all the sizes quoted may be for the entire Focus range, and not just your model. The plate on the driver's size door or surround should say which wheel and tyre size combos are allowed. Mine did.

Like many things, there are normally tollerance limits when A is changed to B, and outside of that is not allowed unless other aspects are changed so that the error is corrected. You may be able to do as you have if you have your speedo re-calibrated accordingly each time. I mean, without such limits, people could change their car's wheels and tyres to whatever they wanted and get away with it, including both speeding without realising and/or significantly under-reporting the actual mileage on the odometer.

Any - Comfort - SLO76
If possible I’d beg or borrow a bit more money, otherwise I’d keep the C3 until you can afford to spend more. I spotted a few id try myself.

I don’t normally recommend Citroen’s but I like these. They’re a bit marmite but they ride well and the later 3cyl 1.2 motors are to date reliable and fun, especially the turbo here. Plenty of go, comfy ride, good on fuel and quirky looks.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200229786...9

Default choice at this money. Utterly reliable and reasonably comfortable. It’ll still be running in 15yrs no bother.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200304799...3

The best used small family hatch by a fair margin. Great to drive, reliable, good on fuel and comfortable too. Worth the extra.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200308816...4

Edited by SLO76 on 10/03/2020 at 11:23

Any - Comfort - misar
Drive a Picasso and find out! It doesn't matter how quickly or efficiently you drive the dratted thing, people still try to overtake!

I find that very hard to believe. Far more likely that the people who overtake you feel you are dawdling.

You need to consider your own driving rather than assuming others are driving like lunatics if they overtake and disappear up the road. There is no doubt some cars feel much faster than others on country roads due to their handling. I have never been in a Picasso let alone driven one but that might be part of your problem.

Any - Comfort - Andrew-T

I've now done 1000 miles in the 25-year-old Pug 306 I got last August. While driving it I still think that I would be quite happy if I bought a new car which was as smooth and comfortable. But I guess that is just a bit too old for the OP - and there aren't that many available these days ....

I'm not sure i believe the Citroen is the reason for this. I think it far more likely that it is a combination of ever decreasing standards, the impatience of those in a hurry, along with the increasingly uneccessary amount of power even the most mundane family car has these days making the driver feel they can make a lunge on the very shortest of straights!.

I have actually experienced this type of mentality myself, but only driving buses (which is a different kettle of fish), where drivers would perform the most ill advised overtaking manoeuvres you can imagine, just to get past 'the bus'. More often than not, certainly if i was running late, i'd end up right behind these numpties (until such time as i had to stop) anyway!.

But as to this happening for specific makes/models of car?, i just don't buy it. If someone is in a hurry, they are not going to consider what the car is before deciding to pass, they'll just pass, at the soonest possible time. As a Honda Jazz driver, if this was indeed, 'a thing', i'd be experiencing it too!.

It may simply be the Picasso's relaxed demeanor and soft loping ride rubbing off on you behind the wheel?. If you are driving in an unhurried manner, the impatient so and so's behind, are going to be even more anxious to get by...........

Any - Comfort - Penumbra

People questioning OP's perception of how other drivers "view" his vehicle yet we are happy to have our own sterotypes of Audi drivers or Merc drivers, or even "younger" drivers ;)

Any - Comfort - misar

People questioning OP's perception of how other drivers "view" his vehicle yet we are happy to have our own sterotypes of Audi drivers or Merc drivers, or even "younger" drivers ;)

I don't have those stereotypes but anyway that is beside the point.

The OP claims that many drivers with nicer cars than his look down on his and as a result try to overtake in spite of the fact that he is driving correctly for the road condition. The country is full of "down market" cars so if he is correct millions of drivers should have the same problem. If so they don't seem to be complaining about it very often.

Nope. I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I don't think anyone 'looks down on me' and it's not actually this car that I'm changing. The fact remains, however, that some drivers assume that you're travelling slowly because of the car you're driving. It's not as if they overtake then disappear in a cloud of dust! Rather, they'll overtake on a straight road then dawdle on the nice, twisty bits. You really do have to drive one to experience it.

Any - Comfort - Manatee

I do believe it happens with some cars more than others. I noticed it when we had a Ka in the family, and if you've ever driven a Land Rover you've probably noticed it.

Any - Comfort - misar

Nope. I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I don't think anyone 'looks down on me' and it's not actually this car that I'm changing.

Perhaps you can reveal the car you are changing. Does that one suffer from the same blight or is it sufficiently upmarket to be immune?

it's an ancient petrol X-trail which is very comfortable but very juicy. I just don't need the 4x4 capability any longer and one repair bill could easily exceed the car's value. No, people don't rush to overtake and I actually drive more sedately in the car because pressing the accelerator has the immediate effect of emptying the fuel tank: you can actually see the needle move.

We used to have an original mini which engendered similar behaviours. That was gutless but you could drive it as though corners didn't exist.

Thanks for the suggestions, SLO. Your experience and advice is greatly appreciated.

Any - Comfort - Andrew-T

one repair bill could easily exceed the car's value.

I've never understood so many people making this irrational comparison, when what they quite likely mean is they are bored with their old car. Unless the fix is really expensive, it is likely to cost less to fix a car that you otherwise like, than to swap it for a newer one that you don't know.

Balancing the expense of repairs against income from resale or scrap is not meaningful ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/03/2020 at 23:26

I have always bought cars and run them until they're worth practically nothing so I'm certainly not concerned with prestige. It's a statistical fact that older cars break down more often and a broken car means I lose out on work. Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically minded so I'm not adept at home servicing or repair to reduce the inevitable costs that will be incurred. Changing the car now means that I can at least recoup the last of the money that's available. It seems a perfectly logical stance to me but I'm quite at ease with your opinion of my thinking as being irrational.

Any - Comfort - Avant

What Andrew says is often true, but I don't think it is in your case. You don't need the 4x4 capability of the X-trail any more; it's costing too much to run; and you can get a few hundred pounds for it now which you won't get if it needs a big repair. Sounds like the right time for a change.

True. It's remarkable how the market works. Someone will see my car as a bargain banger and hopefully get some use out of its capability. Others buy new to have the security of the warranty and I benefit from their cast-offs. Every person has a different point at which they replace a car. If we didn't have these differences of opinion there'd be a stagnant market.

Any - Comfort - Andrew-T

What Andrew says is often true, but I don't think it is in your case. You don't need the 4x4 capability of the X-trail any more; it's costing too much to run; and you can get a few hundred pounds for it now which you won't get if it needs a big repair. Sounds like the right time for a change.

Ah yes, that's a separate argument - and comparing those two prices is not really relevant :-)

Any - Comfort - Steveieb

Comfort has become a top priority for me at 74 years.

So when i saw a MK 5 TDI Golf 130 in metalic blue shod in 165/65 tyres i asked the owner when he is likely to sell.

Only the SD Golfs continue to use these deep profile tyres which give a much better ride IMHO

Wise man Stevieb, at the other end of the scale a GTD shod on 35 aspect 19" elastic bands might as well have no suspension at all, you couldn't pay me enough.

My mate with that car couldn't believe the ride quality and lack of noise in our Forester, itself a fast version on not exactly soft 55 aspect rubber.

Wise man Stevieb, at the other end of the scale a GTD shod on 35 aspect 19" elastic bands might as well have no suspension at all, you couldn't pay me enough.

My mate with that car couldn't believe the ride quality and lack of noise in our Forester, itself a fast version on not exactly soft 55 aspect rubber.

I bet those people with cars shod on the bling-bling alloys and rubber bands are on the Christmas card list of their local dealer and tyre fitters... ;-)

I bet those people with cars shod on the bling-bling alloys and rubber bands are on the Christmas card list of their local dealer and tyre fitters... ;-)

3 tyres for the Forester (not a common size either) the same as one on that Golf, half the price for same make rubber.

He's a very good driver to be fair so damage issues do not apply.

3 tyres for the Forester (not a common size either) the same as one on that Golf, half the price for same make rubber.

He's a very good driver to be fair so damage issues do not apply.

When I downsized my Mazda3's wheels and tyres from 16in to 15in and where both tyre sizes were (and still are) the most common size combos, I was surprised at how much I saved by effectively going one size down.

The alloys (both Mazda OEMs) were about £85 for the 15in and £155 for the 16in version - a utter rip-off, and adding a £20 premium per tyre, it was a no-brainer, especially as I had already effectively 'tested' an identical generation Mazda3 (TS model) shod on 15in alloys and tyres used as a pool car for a former employer when using it a couple of times - better ride than on 16in tyres.

It was easy to make the choice and I've never regretted it, especially as from now on, any replacement tyres (or alloys, if I keep it that long [24 years!] that they need replacing again) will will be much cheaper.

Any - Comfort - Archie35

Having lived and worked in many european and middle eastern countries, I am constantly astonished how in the UK people seem to think those "rubber band" tyres are anything other than an indication of gross stupidity. I've bought 6-7 brand new cars overseas (and somewhat more second hand ones), and don't ever remember someone trying to sell me a better spec version on the basis that it'd come with less comfortable ("sporty") tyres. It's only in Britain, in my humble opinion, that car journalists and the motoring industry seem to think that big wheels/tiny tyres are worth paying more for.

Any - Comfort - Andrew-T

... It's only in Britain, in my humble opinion, that car journalists and the motoring industry seem to think that big wheels/tiny tyres are worth paying more for.

Especially when you factor in likely pothole damage to the alloys - and maybe the tyres ...

So when i saw a MK 5 TDI Golf 130 in metalic blue shod in 165/65 tyres i asked the owner when he is likely to sell.

Only the SD Golfs continue to use these deep profile tyres which give a much better ride IMHO

While looking at possible news cars over the last few months, i discovered that the Mazda 2 comes with either 185/65 x 15 or 186/60 x 16 tyres (our Jazz has 185/55 x 16's). And the Mazda 3 comes with 205/60 x 16's apart from the top of the range Sport Nav which runs 215/45 x 18's. Not sure what the current model uses, but our 2014 Hyundai i30 used 195/65 x 15's, and that did have a bearing on our choice, as it was noticeably comfier and with less road noise than the Seat Leon we also tried.

While looking at possible news cars over the last few months, i discovered that the Mazda 2 comes with either 185/65 x 15 or 186/60 x 16 tyres (our Jazz has 185/55 x 16's). And the Mazda 3 comes with 205/60 x 16's apart from the top of the range Sport Nav which runs 215/45 x 18's. Not sure what the current model uses, but our 2014 Hyundai i30 used 195/65 x 15's, and that did have a bearing on our choice, as it was noticeably comfier and with less road noise than the Seat Leon we also tried.

The latest (4th gen) Mazda3 still comes shod on either 205/60 R16 (lower to mid-spec models) or 215/45 R18 (higher spec models). What I'm unsure about (even after reading the technical specs on their website) is whether you can downsize, as it appears that Mazda 'don't offer' any other sizes as optional extras.

Whether its an oversight or, at least for those wanting to downsize on the higher spec models, not possible if the brakes are too large (no info either way) or not is another matter - one for dealerships I suspect.

I was originally quite miffed when the gen-3 car (when I was looking to buy one [not any more] three years or so ago) changed from the gen-1/gen-2 setup of 195/65 R15, 205/55 R16 and equivalent rolling diameter at 17in, as the 205/60 tyres were about £25 - £30 more expensive than the 205/55s, but it appears some other car manufacturers are changing their range of sizes as well, likely because they reduce the number of EU tests they have to do for mpg/emissions by reducing the number of standard wheel and tyre combos available.

Hopefully in a year or two, the price differential will lessen. I would certainly like to downsize from the OEM 18in wheels and tyres to the 16in ones if it were possible, for comfort and £££ reasons. The difference in comfort and road noise between the two was noticeable, especially on many of our not-so-well-surfaced roads, even on the brand new cars I test drove.

I think Hyundai/KIA have, for the moment, kept the more common tyre sizes my older Mazda has, which is nice to see, though only on their more bog-standard models. The i30 fastback 1.4GDi-T is shod on 17in wheels and tyres, and again I'm unsure whether downsizing is possible. Hopefully so, given the reviews say the ride isn't so good as a result on using that wheel and tyre combo.

Any - Comfort - SLO76
I call it the Top Gear effect. Manufacturers seeking praise from today’s speed obsessed motoring press put ever wider, ever lower profile rubber and brick hard suspension on their offerings in order to gain approval from Clarkson types who base their ratings on how fast a car can get round a track.

With family cars this is utterly irrelevant and only succeeds in ruining comfort. In recent years I’ve seen a substantial drop in comfort in run of the mil family cars. The Mondeo 2.0 Titanium and Insignia SRi I drove recently were both very uncomfortable and overly firm instead of the comfortable family hatches they should be.
Any - Comfort - Terry W

I think we should feel superior in our somewhat battered 15+ year old motors:

• the truly top of the social tree don't drive new BMWs (they are just vulgar) - more often than not it is likely to be a 20+ year old Range Rover or Subaru
  • you never need worry about trolley dings etc in the supermarket car park
  • you can drive your motor secure in the knowledge that the idiot behind or in front is paying 2- 5 times the cost per mile, and won't get to where he/she is going any faster than you

You choose to feel inferior because someone has a better car, house, etc than you. Your low self-esteem reinforces their belief in their superiority.

It's all about mind-set, self confidence, and self belief. Behave and believe that he/she is a pitiful, profligate idiot concerned only with the superficial.

When they get the message you win and they feel stupid and shallow! Even if they don't get you message - you know you sent it.

I don't feel in any way superior toanyone, least of all because my car is indeed 15 years old, what others drive has no influence on me, the simple fact is no one apart from Toyota makes anything that i would want to buy new, and the 2 vehicles they do make i would want to own would have to be personal imports costing every penny i have to my name.

Out of interest the two are Landcruiser 70 series, still being made some 30 years later and the 2018 model Century, not as i'd use the latter it would be owned purely for its quality and quiet beauty in a world where such cars have become crass and utterly ugly.

Any - Comfort - Andrew-T
With family cars this is utterly irrelevant and only succeeds in ruining comfort. In recent years I’ve seen a substantial drop in comfort in run of the mil family cars.

I would only refer you to my post of last Tuesday (above): my 306 has 185/55R15 tyres, which must explain some of the comfort I feel.

Any - Comfort - SLO76
“ I would only refer you to my post of last Tuesday (above): my 306 has 185/55R15 tyres, which must explain some of the comfort I feel.”

The 306, like most French motors of the era was a very comfortable car yet handled brilliantly despite a bit of body roll. There’s no need for brick hard suspension.

I’m thinking what car would I say was the most comfortable I’ve ever driven and the French certainly fill the top end.

Renault Safrane - An armchair on wheels and surprisingly well made. No one bought them though so used examples were rare.

Renault Laguna Mk I - As above but smaller and cheaper. RT and RXE models were the best and again surprisingly robust especially compared with the poorly built Mk II.

Peugeot 406 - Big comfy seats and spongy suspension combined well with bombproof engines, especially the 2.0 HDi 8v.

Citroen BX - Soft yet nimble and cheap to run. Ugly as sin and everyone was scared of fluid filled suspension. Turbo diesels were long legged and long lived.

Citroen XM - Especially the V6 or turbo diesel SE models. Until the complex suspension went haywire of course.

VW Passat 1.9 PD TDI SE - Big comfy seats, soft suspension, loads of torque for lazy driving and 50mpg so you didn’t have to leave your seat often. A great family car that was fit for half a million miles or more.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/03/2020 at 23:00

Any - Comfort - Avant

I had a Safrane, which did 120,000 trouble-free miles. Oddly enough it was pretty well killed off - except for delaer principals and French government ministers - by the Laguna.

I had a V6 Laguna after the Safrane and it had almost as much room for passengers and luggage. Again, 100,000 miles with no trouble. Yes, both were comfortable and had softish suspension and squishy seats, but for me at least never quite enough lumbar support.

Those were the last two of seven company Renaults over 21 years - all excellent and with plenty of room for the family as they grew up. When I moved in 2002 to a job with a higher salary but no car, I moved to German wagen which held their value better. Firmer seats, but more lumbar support and generally more supportive on a long run.

But going back to the French, the two Peugeot 205s that SWMBO had were excellent for comfort, and far better than the 206 that followed them (and was our last Peugeot).

Any - Comfort - Andrew-T

But going back to the French, the two Peugeot 205s that SWMBO had were excellent for comfort, and far better than the 206 that followed them (and was our last Peugeot).

I've said that before, and I'm glad you have said it again, Avant. I only kept my 206 Roland for two months because I couldn't live with the seats. Went back to a 306.

Any - Comfort - Steveieb

Thanks SLO.

I see you recommend the Passat SE 1.9 TDI but how does this compare with my A4 1.9 130 SE on 55 tyres ?

Also what is the comfort like on a Golf Mk 5 SE 1.9 2005 with 65 tyres

heers

Any - Comfort - SLO76

Thanks SLO.

I see you recommend the Passat SE 1.9 TDI but how does this compare with my A4 1.9 130 SE on 55 tyres ?

Also what is the comfort like on a Golf Mk 5 SE 1.9 2005 with 65 tyres

heers

The Audi is a bit firmer both suspension and seats. The Passat in SE spec was a comfy big cruiser and the slightly dead feeling steering only helped cushion you from the road. I really liked these old wagons. The Audi is a perfectly good old smoker if you can find a well looked after example but I’d pick the blue collar VW every time. The Golf Mk V was again firmed up to gain positive reviews and the seats weren’t as comfy as the older and better built Mk IV. The 1.9 TDI SE was one of the most comfortable and robust cars you could buy. Rust has gotten the better of most of them today but a few well cared for survivors are still smoking about. I wouldn’t have a less reliable Mk V, it’s nowhere near the car it’s older relative was.
Any - Comfort - Random
Citroen BX - Soft yet nimble and cheap to run. Ugly as sin and everyone was scared of fluid filled suspension.

BX ugly? No, very much a marmite car - just not as quirky as some, sold surprisingly well. Very sharp brakes, ride could make you feel sea/car sick.

I call it the Top Gear effect. Manufacturers seeking praise from today’s speed obsessed motoring press put ever wider, ever lower profile rubber and brick hard suspension on their offerings in order to gain approval from Clarkson types who base their ratings on how fast a car can get round a track. With family cars this is utterly irrelevant and only succeeds in ruining comfort. In recent years I’ve seen a substantial drop in comfort in run of the mil family cars. The Mondeo 2.0 Titanium and Insignia SRi I drove recently were both very uncomfortable and overly firm instead of the comfortable family hatches they should be.

What's even more of a shame is that nearly all manufacturers have completely stopped making luxury variants of their cars without pairing them with the most powerful engines and or big brakes (which on the standard engine cars aren't needed) which means you have to accept the huge OEM alloys and rubber band tyres, as well as all the harsh ride and shorter lifespans of the tyres, alloys and suspension parts (including them being far more susceptible to damage and catastrophic failures from normal driving).

A few, like Mazda, are now adding in 'Lux' models, but only those on the low-mid spec range come on decent profile tyres as standard (again, not sure if those on the 'Sport' models can be downsized [brakes]), despite many 'Sport' models not having more powerful engines or that a powerful engine at all if they are uprated.

I suspect that the car manufacturers, alloy wheel and tyre manufacturers and dealers have very cushy deals that 'encourage' the purchase of cars with big wheels and low profile tyres, thus giving eachother a greater level of continued business and at higher prices too.

I remember watching a video from the YouTuber Jason from 'Engineering Explained', who bought a Tesla, and on his first major trip out in it went over a pothole or similar and ruined two 19/20in tyres and wheels, costing about $2k to replace. I'm on my third set of tyres and second set of alloys and have only spent £800 in total in 14 years.

Any - Comfort - John F

Fifty years ago many French cars had huge squashy seats. Any discomfort on a journey would be blamed on the car by the French, where road surfaces were poor, but on the road surface by the British, where the road surfaces were better. It seems the French, despite having to maintain a vast network of roads, now have better road surfaces than us.

What's even more of a shame is that nearly all manufacturers have completely stopped making luxury variants of their cars without pairing them with the most powerful engines and or big brakes (which on the standard engine cars aren't needed) which means you have to accept the huge OEM alloys and rubber band tyres, as well as all the harsh ride and shorter lifespans of the tyres, alloys and suspension parts (including them being far more susceptible to damage and catastrophic failures from normal driving).

This is also at least partly the blame of the motoring press. So often i will be reading in a mag about the latest Merc, BMW or Audi saloon and when it comes to 'speccing' the car, it is always something like, "the range starts off with (whetever), but you don't want that because it comes with tiny naff wheels, you need the (whatever, usually S-Line/Sport-Line/M-Sport or similar) instead as it comes with 18"/19"/20" wheels".

Any - Comfort - misar

As this thread seems to have turned into the alloy wheel debate may I add that every time I clean the car I long for old fashioned hub caps. Easy to clean, impossible to kerb and if they got a bit worn (or nicked) you could buy a new set for very little.

I know about ventilating the brakes but with the wonders of plastic you could have sensible (dirty) wheels covered with fancy hub caps and as many holes as you wish. Just take the things off and give them a good scrub if they get too dirty.

Any - Comfort - Steveieb

One car we may have overlooked is the Skoda Superb MK 1 which is a stretched Passat often described as an engineers car as it was chosen by people in the trade as their daily transport.

the extra length may account for the way the car handles road humps.

These cars look an absolute bargain if it is possible to locate a good one SLO ? Mostly fitted with the 1.9TDI engine but is the 1.8 T all that bad ?

Any - Comfort - SLO76
“ One car we may have overlooked is the Skoda Superb MK 1”

Yup, a perfectly decent big barge.
Any - Comfort - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The most comfortable car I ever owned was a Renault 18 TL. Armchair comfort.

But oh dear, weird French failures like speedo needle being in the sun and hitting the glass. That and an alternator brush failure were fixable at least. Unlike my also comfortable Morris Marina Mk2 it did not rust and wear out end to end.

Later on, my B5. 5 Passat Estate SE was comfy. Running a basic Octavia Combi, SE, crashy on bumps, but comfortable.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 18/03/2020 at 20:25

21 Savanna estate was the same, underrated remarkably reliable well made car, pliable suspension didn't mean poor handling, it could take corners at serious speed like it was on rails, road undulations and pot holes etc you barely noticed.

Head gasket leaked oil down the outside of the block afrer some 130k miles, engine was simple to work on (north south facing) and over a couple off days i stripped it and treated the block to some new rings and shells whilst the head was off, the only job i couldn't manage and had to get the garage involved was extracting a drivers door hinge pin that was worn.

Any - Comfort - SLO76

21 Savanna estate was the same, underrated remarkably reliable well made car, pliable suspension didn't mean poor handling, it could take corners at serious speed like it was on rails, road undulations and pot holes etc you barely noticed.

Head gasket leaked oil down the outside of the block afrer some 130k miles, engine was simple to work on (north south facing) and over a couple off days i stripped it and treated the block to some new rings and shells whilst the head was off, the only job i couldn't manage and had to get the garage involved was extracting a drivers door hinge pin that was worn.

I remember selling a 1990 H 21 2.0 auto that had lingered and lingered on my lot for an age. It was supremely comfortable and proved utterly reliable. I liked Renault’s from the 90’s, even their hot hatches were comfortable. The 19 16v was a fantastic thing.
Any - Comfort - Steveieb

Top of my list was the Renault 16.

Armchair comfort and steering column change.

But did they rust. My work colleague got hold of a gallon can of araldite and poured it into the floor pan.Did the trick at MOTtime after he coated it with underseal.

Any - Comfort - Random

Way back in about 1983 my Moggie Minor broke down one snowy day in winter. A gentleman in a Renault 20 TS stopped to take me to a pay phone - those were the days! It was like sitting in your favourite armchair, such a supremely comfortable seat with a ride to match.

Any - Comfort - KB.

Have to agree about the comfort, Stevieb.

And you were spot on regarding the rust, too - mine was taken away on the back of a flat bed truck to be scrapped .... but, strangely, appeared shortly afterwards being driven on local roads.

I'm sure the scrap dealer would have legitimately and professionally repaired the rusty crack that went right across the floorpan from left to right.