VW Golf mk5 - Repairing scratches - AXJ77
I’m looking at my first car I’ve found a good deal on a 2007 golf mk5 with 70k miles the car is only £1200 as there is deep scratches down the right hand side of the car. I know having these professionally repaired would be very expensive but I don’t care about how the outside of the car looks would I be able to stop the car from rusting by covering the scratches up with ductape and a few layers of clear coat?
VW Golf mk5 - Repairing scratches - catsdad

I am not sure what you mean by using ductape, unless you mean masking tape?

If you really dont care about the appearance then as long as is there no rust established in the scratches then you can stop rust by painting then over with primer (or rust inhibitor if rust is already starting) using a good brush and then the colour coat and clear coat as required. It will not look pretty but it will stop or slow the rust.

While £1200 looks cheap for a Golf there are lots of other models of cars at that price that will be more cosmetically acceptable. If you do buy it then be prepared that you are going to find it hard to sell on later with extensive amateur paint repairs. Depending on the extent of damage a “£1200” Golf could in fact be worth next to nothing.

If you are not committed it may be better to look elsewhere?

Edited by catsdad on 07/03/2020 at 18:08

VW Golf mk5 - Repairing scratches - galileo

A friend just had 'deep scratches' on a front wing and right-hand corner of front bumper repaired at a local bodyshop and that cost £600. (good quality job ,though, resprayed entire bumper and wing, perfect colour match).

My friend will now take more care in manoeuvres next to dry-stone walls.

Edited by galileo on 07/03/2020 at 20:23

VW Golf mk5 - Repairing scratches - Andrew-T

If someone is happy to sell (presumably privately?) a car with 'deep scratches' (how deep?) I would wonder what else may have been done to the car. Unless those marks are very recent and perhaps the reason for selling, it might suggest that the car has not been very carefully looked after. But if the marks are recent you should deal with them straight away to prevent rust, especially if bare metal is visible. If it's not, there may be no need to bother.