Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - Don89

We are a family of 4, soon to become 5 currently driving a golf mk7 so need a bigger car. Have looked at the Touran but only engine in our price range is the 1.2 Petrol , partner doesn’t do enough miles for a diesel. Am worried about engine size for the size of the car, the golf has 12 more ps than it. Will mostly be used tooting round town with the odd Holiday motorway run.

Does anyone have any experience with this engine

Or if anyone wants to recommend an alternative feel free. Partner is not keen on having a “big car”

Thanks
Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - Old.Roverboy

Search good and bad on this site HJ reviews choosing the appropriate year.

Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - badbusdriver

The only person who can decide if the 1.2 Touran has enough power for your needs is you. Get a test drive, a nice long one preferably, which takes in motorway or dual carriageway 70mph running. You are certainly going to notice a difference from the Golf, which not only has more power, and torque, but is also 120kg lighter.

Personally, unless you are a 'press on' driver, who always has to be in front, i don't really see it as being a problem. For me, the main concern for a lower powered version like this, would be driveability. But the Touran has a decent enough slug of torque, 175nm, which is delivered from a very low 1400rpm right through to 4000rpm. By comparison the Golf has 200nm from 1500-4000rpm. For another comparison, the Toyota Verso 1.6 petrol (132bhp) makes 160nm of torque at 4400rpm.

Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - SLO76
What’s the budget and where roughly do you live?
Budget is between 13-16k

Based on east mids

If you must have a VW, you might want to consider a Golf SV (assuming you don't want/need 7 seats). Essentially it is a taller roomier Golf, but very much ignored and unwanted by most buyers. As such, they don't seem to hold their value as much as a regular Golf or Touran. I haven't looked specifically at your area, but Autotrader are listing 30 nationwide with the 1.4TSI engine, in both power outputs (it is also available with the 1.2)

Size wise, pretty much splits the difference between Golf and Touran. Boot space is 500l vs 380l (for the Golf), wheelbase is only 5cm longer than the Golf (Touran is 15cm longer), but as the seats are higher, it does feel like there is noticeable more room in the back.

Here is a nice high spec one with the more powerful 1.4,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191116443...1

Thanks bus, never considered a sv.

Not tied to vw it’s just that like the golf so first port of call was the Touran. Main criteria is fitting 3 car seats along the middle row, hard task it seems. the need for 7 seats is fairly low but it seems the only cars that can take 3 car seats are the 7 seaters.

Ah, i did wonder why the move to a 7 seater. And of course the Golf SV would have the same number and positions of isofix points as the Golf.

As i am now clearer on your requirements, i have another suggestion, well three actually, though they are actually the same car with different badges. On the minus side, they are very utilitarian and not very glamerous at all (nor do they have the badge appeal of VW). But on the plus side they do offer isofix points on all three seats and on top of that, for a young family, this is going to be pretty much the most practical and useable choice you could make. They have the nice high seats along with sliding doors on the rear (so much easier for getting kids into and out of child seats) and an enormous boot. Also, going by what i have read, they drive well, have good ride comfort and are pretty refined.

The candidates are, Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Rifter and Vauxhall Combo Life. Here are examples of each on Autotrader,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200211718...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191115441...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200203688...1

Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - barney100

Seems mightily underpowered.

Seems mightily underpowered.

Surely this depends on what you want out of the car and what your expectations are?. The Berlingo/Rifter/Combo Life weigh about the same, have the same power output, but 17% more torque (110bhp, 205nm) than the Touran 1.2TSI the OP is thinking about. Given the type of vehicle they are, and having read reviews, i don't see it as being a problem.

After all, when Ford, Seat and VW got together to come up with the Galaxy, Alhambra and Sharan, 90bhp (202nm of torque) was considered perfectly adequate for what was then a 'full sized' 7 seat SUV.

Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - Ian_SW

My wife's Leon has the 1.2TSI engine in it. It feels quite quick when there's only one person in it, but when loaded up with 4 people and luggage it has to be worked quite hard and the fuel economy goes down much more than it does with the 1.8TSI in my car. We do live out in the sticks though, and it's quite hilly in places.

Is there not the option with the Touran to buy a slightly older car with the more powerful engine to stay in budget?

There is also the occasional ordinary car which has 3 ISOFIX across the back which might be worth considering. The current Insignia is one, though if the OPs partner doesn't want a big car and it's being used mostly in town, that may not be the best option as they are quite long and difficult judge where the corners are when parking.

Edited by SkodaIan on 04/03/2020 at 09:24

Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - Avant

The cars suggested by BBD aren't glamorous, but you'll get a newer car for your money than you would with a VW, with plenty of warranty still to run.

The 1.2 engine has been reported as perfectly adequate pulling much larger Peugeots and Citroens, so it should be fine in these.

Thanks everyone will run them past the boss! I think the insignia will be a no no from the off due to its size.

I was looking at the MPV section for the 3 car seats but also the perceived practicalities these cars have especially when it comes to ferrying multiple children around and assorted paraphernalia. Unfortunately there doesn’t really seem to be a “sexy” mpv but I suppose that is not what they are designed for.
Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - thunderbird

The 1.2 engine has been reported as perfectly adequate pulling much larger Peugeots and Citroens, so it should be fine in these.

The 1.2 used by Citroen/Peugeot is a different engine to the VAG and has loads more torques, about 50 from memory. That should make it much better.

We tried a 1.2 90 PS 1.2 in a Polo about 2 years ago and found it woeful and that was compared to a Focus 1.6 Diesel, we were happy to leave it. We were stunned when we tried the current 1.0 TSi 110 PS in a Fabia, the difference was staggering. We bought it and do not regret it. The 1.0 has loads more torques than the older 1.2.

The 1.2 used by Citroen/Peugeot is a different engine to the VAG and has loads more torques, about 50 from memory. That should make it much better.

We tried a 1.2 90 PS 1.2 in a Polo about 2 years ago and found it woeful and that was compared to a Focus 1.6 Diesel, we were happy to leave it. We were stunned when we tried the current 1.0 TSi 110 PS in a Fabia, the difference was staggering. We bought it and do not regret it. The 1.0 has loads more torques than the older 1.2.

Apples and pears really, do you want a bigger slug of torque over a shorter rev range, or slightly less over a much wider range?.

The old VAG 90PS 1.2 makes 160nm of torque from 1400-4000rpm, the current 95PS 1.0 makes 175nm from 2000-3500rpm. So while the newer car does make more torque, it arrives at higher rpm is sustained for a shorter range.

The 110PS version of the 1.2 (like in the Touran mentioned) makes 175nm of torque from 1400-4000rpm. The 110PS 1.0 in the Fabia makes 200nm from 2000-3500rpm, so same differences in characteristics as the previous pair.

The 110PS 1.2 PSA unit in the Berlingo/Rifter/Combo life makes 205nm of torque @ 1750rpm. So while it does have a slightly higher peak torque, it then tails off unlike the VAG engines which maintain peak torque for 1500rpm in the case of the 1.0 and 2600rpm in the older 1.2.

Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - thunderbird

The old VAG 90PS 1.2 makes 160nm of torque from 1400-4000rpm, the current 95PS 1.0 makes 175nm from 2000-3500rpm. So while the newer car does make more torque, it arrives at higher rpm is sustained for a shorter range.

The 110PS version of the 1.2 (like in the Touran mentioned) makes 175nm of torque from 1400-4000rpm. The 110PS 1.0 in the Fabia makes 200nm from 2000-3500rpm, so same differences in characteristics as the previous pair.

Don't disagree with those figures but they miss one important fact. Although the torque band in the 1.0 TSi's is narrower the torque available at 1500 and 4000 rpm will without doubt still be more than that available in the older 1.2's. Looking on the old interweb a torque curve for the 110 TSi shows the curve dropping off at 3500 but at 4000 its still producing 190 nm. In my book 190 torques is still better than 175 torques in any language.

With regards to the 1.0 TSi 95 at 4000 rpm the same site shows that it still has 160 nm, exactly the same as the earlier 1.2 TSi.

I would suggest that the slightly narrower torque curve results from it being a smaller engine and having a slightly higher tune. But in my personal experience wheras we walked away (actually ran) from a dreadfully slow Polo 1.2 TSi 90 we actually found the Fabia 1.0 95 TSi very good despite only having 5 PS extra which in truth we never went anywhere near finding. The short run we had in the 110 PS version immediately afterwards and 3 months of ownership have proven to me that the 110 version is well worth the small extra outlay, it has a 6 speed box for starters.

Don't disagree with those figures but they miss one important fact. Although the torque band in the 1.0 TSi's is narrower the torque available at 1500 and 4000 rpm will without doubt still be more than that available in the older 1.2's. Looking on the old interweb a torque curve for the 110 TSi shows the curve dropping off at 3500 but at 4000 its still producing 190 nm. In my book 190 torques is still better than 175 torques in any language.

With regards to the 1.0 TSi 95 at 4000 rpm the same site shows that it still has 160 nm, exactly the same as the earlier 1.2 TSi.

I would suggest that the slightly narrower torque curve results from it being a smaller engine and having a slightly higher tune. But in my personal experience wheras we walked away (actually ran) from a dreadfully slow Polo 1.2 TSi 90 we actually found the Fabia 1.0 95 TSi very good despite only having 5 PS extra which in truth we never went anywhere near finding. The short run we had in the 110 PS version immediately afterwards and 3 months of ownership have proven to me that the 110 version is well worth the small extra outlay, it has a 6 speed box for starters.

I wasn't suggesting one was better than the other, i'm just interested in the differences.

Years ago while working at a VW dealership, i remember driving a Passat 1.9TDI (130bhp) followed immediately by a Passat 2.5 (V6) TDI (150bhp). The 1.9 actually felt faster despite having less power, though it was a chunk lighter and actually had the same maximum torque (310nm). But the V6 was much nicer to drive, having a smoother power delivery and a (nicer noise), it also seemed to maintain power for longer, where the 1.9 dropped most of its torque in one lump but didn't last for long.

During the same period, i was hugely impressed by the Polo 1.4TDI (195nm) when it first came out. The dealership i worked at had a demo, so i had plenty of opportunities to drive it locally, plus a long run in an Audi A2 with the same engine.

And as someone who's current car has 123nm @ 5000 rpm, i wouldn't be overly concerned by the extra torque of the 1.0 over the 1.2!.

Vw Touran 1.2 - Help needed Vw Touran - SLO76
A quick look around in your area reveals few petrol Tourane available plus I think that while 1.2 TSI is a good engine I fear it’ll be overwhelmed by the weight of the car plus 5 passengers. I’d bring diesel into the search. The greater torque of the Diesel engine suits the car better and offers more relaxed driving and better economy.

Post 2014 cars which weren’t affected by the emissions recall don’t seem to suffer EGR or DPF issues the same as earlier cars but it is still possible. I’d have the 1.6 diesel and just make sure it gets a regular run of 20-30 miles to keep it sweet.

Another option that’s in plentiful supply nearby is the Vauxhall Zafira 1.4 turbo. Loads of room and decent power.