VW Fox 2009 - How do I jump start this car battery? (VW Fox 09) - Malthusian

Hi all,

My VW Fox has drained its battery and I'm stumped as to how to jump-start it.

I've taken off the battery cover - pictured in i.imgur.com/BybCGa8.jpg - but there's still no way to get the positive dragon clip onto the positive terminal that I can see. There's no way to attach it from the top and the gap between the cover and the battery is also too small to insert it from behind.

The only bit of metal I can access is the top of a bolt that just sticks out enough, and I didn't have any luck trying to start it that way.

Any advice appreciated. I'm sure it's obvious when you know how but the previous car I owned had a battery that just had its terminals nice and open, so this one has me confused.

VW Fox 2009 - How do I jump start this car battery? (VW Fox 09) - elekie&a/c doctor
Bit tricky on these as you have found out . You need to connect onto that bolt on the positive terminal . May need two people . One to hold the croc clip onto the terminal , and the other to turn the key . The plastic frame around the battery does unclip to get better access. Possibly your jump leads are inadequate. Perhaps remove the battery for charging.

Many thanks, really glad it's not just me. Does the negative cable go on the negative terminal or earthed on the car frame? (I know, RTFM, but it didn't come with one and the only one I could find on Google is in Portugese.)

VW Fox 2009 - How do I jump start this car battery? (VW Fox 09) - elekie&a/c doctor
Negative terminal is fine , or better still , anything metal on the engine.

Awesome. Thanks Doc. In the end I managed to yank the cover high enough to get the croc clip under.