Insurance- driving through floods - bazza

Well I've seen some particularly stupid videos here in S Wales of people deliberately driving through clearly deep flood water on the roads and the subsequent completely predictable stalling, floating away etc of the ruined car. I was wondering whether these kinds of actions are covered by comprehensive insurance or not. I would have thought not, as a deliberate action to wreck one's car is surely not covered? Different of course to a parked car being over-whelmed by water through no fault of the owner.

Insurance- driving through floods - Bromptonaut

I think insurance generally covers for stupidity otherwise there would be a lot of losers.

On the floods thing there is a video on social media of a DPD van floating away crossing a ford, I think in Wiltshire.

There was a case a few years ago where a Judge in the First-tier Tribunal drowned when his car floated in very similar circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/oct/23/judge-drowned-drove-flooded-ford?

I didn't know him but several of my then colleagues did.

Insurance- driving through floods - Engineer Andy

I think insurance generally covers for stupidity otherwise there would be a lot of losers.

Well, they may do - after all, insurers don't pay out if you leave your car unlock or keys in the lock...

I don't think it's purely a lack of intelligence, but just as much a lack of common sense, as your example of the judge below demonstrates - a person who should, in theory, know better.

The oft-quoted example of the 'absent-minded professor' is quite similar - people with significant intelligence who often don't concern themselves with everyday things, sometimes because of a snobbishness towards them, but often because it just doesn't occur to them to think about it.

On the floods thing there is a video on social media of a DPD van floating away crossing a ford, I think in Wiltshire.

There was a case a few years ago where a Judge in the First-tier Tribunal drowned when his car floated in very similar circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/oct/23/judge-drowned-drove-flooded-ford?

I didn't know him but several of my then colleagues did.

I don't think it's purely a lack of intelligence, but just as much a lack of common sense, as your example of the judge below demonstrates - a person who should, in theory, know better.

If you read the article it was his wife who was driving and they simply followed the satnav. There's nothing that special about tribunal judges; requirement is to be a solicitor or barrister on n years standing.

If you read the article it was his wife who was driving and they simply followed the satnav. There's nothing that special about tribunal judges; requirement is to be a solicitor or barrister on n years standing.

I would say that other than a high level of intelligence, I would say that I would want every judge to have a high level of common sense. Odd why you mentioned the passenger's occupation (hence my assumption as to who was at fault) when it was his wife's fault as she was the driver. Maybe nothing.

Satnavs give information about which route to go generally or about congestion - they do not give (unless someone uploads/tells providers and they add it) specific information about how deep any flood water is during stormy weather - at most, a report of local flooding given as a general warning, and then, normally on well-used roads where user-reporting or emergency services provide useful information.

Frankly, if a driver cannot judge for themselves whether it is safe to drive through flood water or that someone were, for example, driving too fast (given the conditions) to spot it and stop in time, then they don't deserve to be behind the wheel - whoever they are. Bad workman and tools and all that.

Andy, whatever.

I was simply making a point that floods are dangerous and that somebody I knew of drowned in one.

I'm not getting drawn what looks like victim blaming or into a debate of the intelligence or otherwise of a man who was a friend of people I worked with.

Insurance- driving through floods - Zippy123

I went down a road a few years back which was fine until a dip that was flooded.

There was no ruler or other warning as to the depth so I proceeded slowly until it became obvious that the water was deep.

Luckily I reversed out as a car coming in the opposite direction didn't make it.

When it all dried out it became apparent that there was a ruler. It had become submerged by the depth of water and now a taller ruler has been added.

Insurance- driving through floods - bazza

It appears that insurance companies by and large classify flood damage as "avoidable" or "non-avoidable" and refuse or give cover depending. What I saw was clearly avoidable, so I'm assuming it's one written off new hatchback with no recompense. It would be amusing except they created an emergency and very dangerous situation for rescuers, feet away from a major river in full flood.

It appears that insurance companies by and large classify flood damage as "avoidable" or "non-avoidable" and refuse or give cover depending. What I saw was clearly avoidable, so I'm assuming it's one written off new hatchback with no recompense. It would be amusing except they created an emergency and very dangerous situation for rescuers, feet away from a major river in full flood.

There is a world of difference between accidently driving down a flooded road because you are caught in it or have nowhere else to go (though perhaps bad planning) and giving it a go because you want to prove that you are a super driver or want the thrill of it.

A bit like that surfboarder in Sussex last week who went out in the storm and had to be rescued by the RNLI

Insurance- driving through floods - Terry W

Car getting flooded whilst parked (say) at night after river bursts its bank should rightly be covered by insurance.

Anyone knowingly driving into flood water of unknown depth, and getting stuck and flooded, is plain daft. There is zero good reason for being unaware of exceptionally heavy rain, free to air TV and radio warnings, and data available via the internet - even simple observation.

Insurance companies should firmly reject these claims arising from personal stupidity which has the effect of driving up everybodies premium.

Andy, whatever.

I was simply making a point that floods are dangerous and that somebody I knew of drowned in one.

I'm not getting drawn what looks like victim blaming or into a debate of the intelligence or otherwise of a man who was a friend of people I worked with.

Fair enough - I thought you pointing out his occupation was you making that point, and I think a valid one - that supposedly 'smart' people can make seemingly daft choices that other, less 'academic' people with more common sense wouldn't.

Insurance- driving through floods - daveyjp

Water has a strange pull for people. I was in York today, seeing the river high is nothing new to me as I go regularly.

The water looked dangerous with lots of eddies and whirlpools being formed. It didn't however stop people walking down steep flights of steps to get very coose in order to take a selfie. One loon even bent over and put is hand in it!

Water has a strange pull for people. I was in York today, seeing the river high is nothing new to me as I go regularly.

The water looked dangerous with lots of eddies and whirlpools being formed. It didn't however stop people walking down steep flights of steps to get very coose in order to take a selfie. One loon even bent over and put is hand in it!

Like those berks who think it's 'a laugh' or 'cool' to take selfies or drive next to a sea wall with 10ft+ waves breaking over it in 70+mph winds.

Like those berks who think it's 'a laugh' or 'cool' to take selfies or drive next to a sea wall with 10ft+ waves breaking over it in 70+mph winds.

I got stuck at a set of traffic lights along side a promenade by the sea on a corner. It was a rough day but not a storm. A freak wave crashed over the car and hailed a load of pebbles on it with some small dents but luckily no broken glass.

What really spooked me though was way the water physically lifted by 1980 Fiesta and moved it across the line!

I would certainly not do it for fun!

Insurance- driving through floods - grumpyscot

Chap in our village ignored a Road Closed sign and the instruction of a policeman attending the flood. Obviously, he came to grief and his car (Audi A4) ended up window deep in water and engine blown. Police charged him with Careless Driving but refrained from charging him with ignoring the instruction of a police officer. He got 6 points (he already had 8 so got a 6 month ban) and insurance would only pay out the value of the car post incident because he ignored the sign and the police instruction. So for a £30,000 car he got £1,500 from insurance. He also got a £300 fine on top of the 6 points. And to add insult to injury, he also had to pay the recovery and storage fee - which was about another £400 .

Costly error of judgement

Justice! (for once). Certainly put a smile on my face.