Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - stevejock1

Every time I set off from home, I pull out from my parking on to a road on an incline. Nothing drastically steep but in order to get up to the flow speed of the road, I'm faced with the choice of over revving all the way up the road in first on a recently started engine or changing to second early and lugging the engine a bit.

What's the best way to tackle this? It doesn't sound like a big deal but as it's something I'll be doing almost daily, I could really do damage in the long run if I'm doing it wrong.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - focussed

Revs do less harm than lugging, revs throws lots of oil up the bores and takes the load off the bottom end.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - SLO76
Wouldn’t concern yourself with it, just drive it in the manner that feels more comfortable for you and the car. As long as it has fresh oil of the correct grade every year it’ll be fine. Engines rarely wear out, it’s usually emissions control gubbins and electrics which fail them, neither of which is really affected here. I’d let it rev before I’d let it labour however but there’s no need to cane it, just take it easy.
Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - gordonbennet

Sensibly i'd let the car fast idle for a minute before going for it, and i'd drive the car by what feels right for the car in question, some are gutless and need higher revs, some have plenty of low down torque, drive by seat of pants.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - stevejock1

Rock and a hard place really. Running at high revs when cold isn’t great for the engine, but lugging is definitely bad for the flywheel.

I’d personally stick with the revs because as at the end of the day it’s not a service part whereas a flywheel (especially dual mass) is; the engine will be designed to tolerate some light abuse, the flywheel won’t. Also, from a safety perspective, if you need to floor it to avoid danger shortly after pulling away and you’re stuck well off cam in second gear it could be the difference between escape and injury.

Keep your oil level at max, change it regularly (possibly with a lower cold viscosity to give extra startup protection) and give it a couple of mins to circulate on the driveway before setting off and it’s unlikely to bother you

Edited by Avant on 19/02/2020 at 15:02

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - Chris M

"but lugging is definitely bad for the flywheel." I don't understand that comment. A standard flywheel (not DMF) is a lump of metal. Much slipping of clutch may cause damage, but labouring in too high a gear won't affect it.

I get the OPs point though. We live a mile from a motorway and my office was a bit less than a mile from the motorway. Twice a day I'd be hitting the motorway with a virtually cold engine. It takes a lot of self control to keep the speed down until the engine has warmed up.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - dan86

Some people worry to much. Modern cars are much better than the cars even from when I was a child in the 80's and 90's. Just drive the car sensibly and normally and there will be no issues. Cars have been designed to be driven by the most ham fisted of individuals so people like us who have an interest in car's shouldn't have any problems in driving normally.

Are lorries are straight out of the gate on to a NSL duel carriageway first thing in the morning and they don't seem to suffer.

Yes we do our daily vehicle checks but even after idling for 20 minutes they temp gauge is still on the cold.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - Avant

Stevejock1 first asks for advice and then proceeds to give it.

There were some links (consisting of meaningless numbers) in the second post which I deleted. We probably won't hear from him again.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - misar

Both the OP's question and his subsequent advice were something that most drivers never even think about. As already suggested, they simply drive the car so that "it feels right".

Any half decent driver doing that ensures they are always in the correct gear for the road/traffic conditions and hence also minimises wear on the engine and transmission. No idea about autos as I have never owned one.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - John F

Stevejock1 first asks for advice and then proceeds to give it.

And 'keeping the oil up to the max mark' is the wrong advice if you need the engine to warm up quickly. Engines don't like lots of freezing cold oil sitting in the sump. The dipstick marks are 'over-engineered' to allow for forgetfulness. It's probably better to have just 3 litres in a small engine and change it every 6,000 miles than 4.5 litres changing it every 9,000 miles but for obvious reasons no manufacturer will advise this. Our old 1.6 Zetec Focus has never had more than 4 litres in the sump - always between minimum and half-way to max mark. Engine still fine at 145,000 miles (body not so fine at nearly 20yrs!)

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - Avant

Indeed - and there are some punters who overfill the sump 'just to be on the safe side', even though most user manuals tell you not to. That can do more harm than running on 'min'.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - John F

Indeed - and there are some punters who overfill the sump 'just to be on the safe side', even though most user manuals tell you not to. That can do more harm than running on 'min'.

Indeed - apart from the implication that running on 'min' is harmful. It isn't. Apart from the early tens of thousands of miles when little oil is used, I always wait until the level is at or just below 'min' before changing the oil. It's less wasteful and there's less to dispose of.

Daily hill start: revs and gear selection - Bromptonaut

Indeed - apart from the implication that running on 'min' is harmful. It isn't. Apart from the early tens of thousands of miles when little oil is used, I always wait until the level is at or just below 'min' before changing the oil. It's less wasteful and there's less to dispose of.

I really wouldn't want to be running with oil at minimum, prefer to have some margin in hand should a leak develop. An extra half litre to pour into the tank at the tip is neither here nor there.