Various - Connected cars - 2010Jagman

Just had an issue with a used car purchase that made me think, bought a Tesla model S direct from Tesla, and it hadn't been wiped properly by the previous owner or by Tesla themselves.

Had access to the previous owners email, home address, spotify account and access to the automatic garage door opener. along with a list of all his destinations since he purchased the car. even a list of his drs appointments on the in car calendar.

Have obviously conducted a full factory reset but can see this becoming a bigger problem as more and more cars become fully connected.

Still an amazing car though and easily the fastest and quietest car I have ever driven.

Various - Connected cars - Bromptonaut

That's a pretty massive breach of data protection.

Various - Connected cars - catsdad
Is it though? Doesn't the original owner bear the responsibility?
Various - Connected cars - Andrew-T

That's a pretty massive breach of data protection.

Something (as an owner of older cars) I had never thought of. Millennials must expect almost any serious purchase they make to be as versatile as their 'phone' - which is hardly a phone these days, more a portable computer.

Probably a Tesla bought privately would have been wiped by the seller, but if it was a trade-in it might reasonably be expected that a dealer would include all that in the prep ?

Various - Connected cars - Bromptonaut

Probably a Tesla bought privately would have been wiped by the seller, but if it was a trade-in it might reasonably be expected that a dealer would include all that in the prep ?

Presumably the previous owner had the car had it synced with his phone. I think the Skoda can import my contacts but not much else. My daughter has hers set up in her Octavia and car has microphone to facilitate hands free and I assume Fabia has same functionality. Not bothered with it as I rarely use the phone in the car and am content to put it in a clip and use a blue tooth earpiece on odd occasion I do.

If I did have stuff like that I hope I'd remember to clear it when trading in. If I'd forgotten or not been able to I'd expect the dealer to do it not allow my details to be visible to the new owner. Same as I'd expect a reconditioned PC or phone to be wiped.

Would be interesting to see what the Information Commissioner has to say should a complaint arise.

Various - Connected cars - badbusdriver

Showing myself up to be a comlete luddite, my first thought when i started reading and got to the word 'wiped', was that the car hadn't been cleaned properly!.

Quite alarming though. IMO, the previous owner should definately have deleted his/her info from the car, but also, so should the dealer. Makes you wonder just what sort of pre-sale preperation/inspection/whatever is done by Tesla (assuming it was bought from a dealer)?

Various - Connected cars - Bolt

Iirc I think you have to do a factory reset of the computer on the dash as it retains all info you put on it, encrypted as well.

you can do that on standard infotainment systems as well.some hold phone nos and addresses in certain cases, so factory reset clears all of it

Various - Connected cars - expat

The police are going to love this. Full details of where the car has been and when. Probably even how fast it was going. Car hire companies also. You will have to wipe all your info that it got when you synced with your phone before you give it back to Hertz.

Various - Connected cars - thunderbird

Presumably the previous owner had the car had it synced with his phone. I think the Skoda can import my contacts but not much else. My daughter has hers set up in her Octavia and car has microphone to facilitate hands free and I assume Fabia has same functionality.

When you link an Android phone to our Fabia (2018 SEL) by USB to use Android Auto it does indeed download contacts. There is a microphone symbol but never tried it.

I never make calls when I am driving even though its hand free, you can actually access contacts through the steering wheel buttons so no need to wave your fingers aimlessly at the display. Actually never answer calls unless its from the Mrs, she knows only to phone if its critically important, anything else a text will do.