New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - Oli rag
Have had one of these for a few days, it’s a 1.0 eco boost with the highest 125 bhp engine. The titanium spec includes dual aircon, heated seats and infotainment screen with satnav, also the alloy wheels are not too big with fairly high profile tyres - surprisingly.

I’ve driven a mixture of roads including a long motorway stint during storm Ciara, where it was very composed and seemed totally unfazed by crosswinds. Motorways are where it shines as it’s very quiet at speed and the suspension smooths out all bumps I came across.

Away from the motorway I was less impressed, although it handles brilliantly and the steering is nicely weighted, I found the ride too hard and also the seat bases a little too firm, but I realise both these are subjective.

The engine is really gruff at low revs and you can feel that through the clutch pedal, however once your above 2000 revs it smoothsout and goes amazingly well for its size, I also averaged 45 mpg which I thought was ok.

The stop start system worked very well but I’m still a sceptic, as I am about electric handbrakes even though that worked well too. Would I buy one, well that’s easy because I couldn’t afford it so it’s not a choice I have to make, but I wouldn’t say overall that I was smitten.

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - S40 Man

My Mrs has one, a 14 plate Zetec. It's nice to drive, as the OP said it is a bit gruff at low revs. There is probably not that much torque at low revs. Once it's running, it's a decent little engine, much better than the NA 1.6 with 85 bhp. Being a Ford it is good to drive. The handling and ride are better than my Astra K. It's been very reliable despite what commentators here suggest. It is on 70 k miles. Economy not great, w audio get around 42 mpg but we first got it I drive it like a nun add got 70 mpg round the M25 so it is possible to get good returns.

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - badbusdriver

My Mrs has one, a 14 plate Zetec. It's nice to drive, as the OP said it is a bit gruff at low revs. There is probably not that much torque at low revs. Once it's running, it's a decent little engine, much better than the NA 1.6 with 85 bhp. Being a Ford it is good to drive. The handling and ride are better than my Astra K. It's been very reliable despite what commentators here suggest. It is on 70 k miles. Economy not great, w audio get around 42 mpg but we first got it I drive it like a nun add got 70 mpg round the M25 so it is possible to get good returns.

The 'commentators' simply point out that the engine has a less than steller reliablity reputation, which is true. Ford have sold an awful lot of cars and vans with the 1.0 Ecoboost, and obviously they are not all going to go pop. Probably fair to say only a small percentage will have problems, but because of the numbers involved, that small percentage is going to be an awful lot of vehicles!. If buying new and planning to get shot of it before the warranty is up?, i'd be quite happy to have a 1.0 Ecoboost. But 2nd hand?, there are other cars available with much less chance of causing you grief, one of which is where i'd rather put my money.

BTW, the n/a 1.6 has either 100bhp (1st and 2nd gen) or 125bhp (3rd gen). you did get n/a 1.4 versions of the 1st and 2nd gen Focus, they had 75 and 80bhp respectively.

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - S40 Man

BTW, the n/a 1.6 has either 100bhp (1st and 2nd gen) or 125bhp (3rd gen). you did get n/a 1.4 versions of the 1st and 2nd gen Focus, they had 75 and 80bhp respectivel

1.6 style Ford Focus on autotrader 14 plate has 84 bhp. My sister in law has a focus with this engine. It's really slow, I'd take the 125 bhp 1.0 economist every day regardless of real or perceived unrealiability.

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - badbusdriver

I'd take the 125 bhp 1.0 economist every day regardless of real or perceived unrealiability.

That is entirely your choice and good luck to you. But your own experience and opinion on the engine doesn't mean that potential buyers considering a Ford with it shouldn't be forewarned about the failures experienced by many others.

And let me ask you this, would your opinion on it be the same if your engine had gone pop, Ford told you it was your own fault, and left you to foot the bill?.

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - Avant

"I'd take the 125 bhp 1.0 economist every day regardless of real or perceived unreliability."

I wouldn't take an economist at any price. All are notoriously unreliable.

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - Dag Hammar

"I'd take the 125 bhp 1.0 economist every day regardless of real or perceived unreliability."

If we could give ‘up ticks’ for comments yours would be the winner. Brilliant.

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - madf

That is a bit unfair. Forecast are forecasts. Things happen (or don't).

Mind you, having said that very few ever forecast a crash...(and one happens every 10 years or so)

New Ford Focus 1.0 titanium review - daveyK_UK
Ordered one today on a PCP deal

Brand new 1.0 eco boost auto estate in titanium trim

£225 down, £225 a month at 8k a year mileage over 3 years

I drive lots of different hire cars (currently have a 1.5 petrol auto golf - nothing special, 1.4 turbo petrol auto Vauxhall Mokka X last week - dated) and the current Focus is the best car I have driven in years

The rear legroom is a huge improvement over the previous shape Focus