Mk1 Mondeo - chipped key sets alarm off - BigAde
Hi

Hope someone can help.

I have a MK1 96 Mondeo. I have the red master key, a remote key and a 'normal' chipped key (with the red insert). Recently, the normal 'chipped' key has started setting off the alarm when it is used to open the car door. The remote key continues to work correctly either in the door lock or via remote IR operation.

I'm guessing that the 'chipped' key needs reprogramming or something similar. I've seen this article:
www.fordmondeo.org/mods_keyfob.htm
Does anyone know if this only works for the remote keys, or can this be used to reprogramme a normal 'chipped' key.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
Adrian
Anyone?
Mk1 Mondeo - chipped key sets alarm off - John S
Ade

Don't get excited, I'm afraid I don't have an answer! The odd thing to my mind is that this occurs when you open the car. To my knowledge, the door locks don't have any system for recognising the chip in the key. The only part of the car that does is in the ignition switch, when it requires that the ECU is programmed to recognise the key to active the igniton systems etc. It's that way round, by the way - the key has a fixed ID, and the ECU is programmed to recognise the key , rather than the other way round. If that key starts the car, it's programmed into the ECU.

This needs someone who understands how the door locks work and how they are linked to the alarm. I wonder if this key has had less use and with used locks the key isn't fully turning the lock and one of the contacts isn't making or breaking correctly?

Regards

John S
It seems I got this wrong... have just been out to the car to have a good test and established the following:

ANY of the keys sets the alarm off, but only when inserted into the passenger side door lock to open the car. Using remote-locking on either the passenger or the driver IR sensor works fine. The driver's lock is also fine when inserting keys. The alarm stops as soon as you insert the key in the ignition or the drivers lock.

I can only conclude this means a problem with the passenger door lock??!
Anyone else had this problem?
Mk1 Mondeo - chipped key sets alarm off - John S
Ade

Pretty much what I suspected. It isn't a key problem as the chips are not a factor when using the keys to open the door locks - almost certainly that door passenger lock is faulty. I doubt it's making the correct contact to disable the alarm when turned by the key, although the door lock motor is providing sufficient movement. Unless you can do some very careful adjustment it sound horribly like a new central locking unit needed.

Regards

john