Volvo XC60 - dash cam replacement - concrete

I seem to remember there is an a 'wizard' on this forum with regards to electrics and electronics for vehicles. I have a Volvo XC60 D4. From new, 3 years ago. I had a Silent Witness dash cam installed and hard wired. The mounting is just right of the mirror cluster, fixed to the windscreen. The camera will detach from its triangular mounting. It is the most disappointing piece of equipment I have had the misfortune to buy. Difficult to use, no instructions at all. You have to go online and download all sorts of stuff even just to playback on your laptop. Has been temperamental and now the residual battery does not hold charge so when detached it is dead. I am fed up and simply and want to ditch it and replace it. This presents two problems. Firstly what to change it for? Then secondly i suppose the mounting will be exclusive and therefore useless for a replacement. But can the wiring and same position be utilised? The current location is ideal and unobtrusive with no wiring on show at all. Any comments from personal experience would be welcomed.

Cheers Concrete

Volvo XC60 - dash cam replacement - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest a dash cam from the nextbase range . The existing wiring up to the screen will probably need to be changed , but not difficult. Buy a genuine nextbase hardwire kit . Fitted loads of these with no problems.
I would suggest a dash cam from the nextbase range . The existing wiring up to the screen will probably need to be changed , but not difficult. Buy a genuine nextbase hardwire kit . Fitted loads of these with no problems.

Thanks friend. I was going the wiring would be re-usable given it is hidden away behind trim. Could the wiring be utilised at all? Don't mind changing the mount etc. I hoped that these devices worked on a common system. Mine comes on when the ignition is switched on.

Ah well. I don't suppose you live anywhere near mid Kent? I could do with someone with experience that comes recommended. Cheers Concrete

Volvo XC60 - dash cam replacement - elekie&a/c doctor
You could be lucky and find it has the same connector at the camera end , usually mini/ micro usb . The behind dash connection will be the same . A plug in power lead adapter that drops the voltage to 5 volts . Sorry , not in Kent . Other side of the Thames .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 05/02/2020 at 16:58

Volvo XC60 - dash cam replacement - Brit_in_Germany

Even if they are different connectors, an adapter, e.g. usb mini to micro, might be the solution.

Volvo XC60 - dash cam replacement - Falkirk Bairn

Same problem with my Nextbase.

Took camera into house & charged it for a good few hours and now things are fine.

Battery has charge all the time - job done!

Thank you chaps. All good comments. I shall source a Nextbase form the internet and hopefully a professional who will be able to assess the job and fit it. Just hope it easier than the Silent Witness kit. Could not recommend it at all. Maybe OK if you work for NASA!!

Just a thought. If Elec/doctor is in Essex I would be prepared to travel from Kent. If you do it for a living that is.

Cheers Concrete

Volvo XC60 - dash cam replacement - gordonbennet

If our company fleet is anything to go by, IMHO anything will be better than what you currently have.

Too true GB. The warning bells started early when I was told I had to 're-format' the device every few weeks. Also had to buy and install a 28bit SD card for more video storage. No instructions so after the demo I had to go online. Their website is confusing and apparently not all laptops can download their software to read the camera footage. They have their own software which is not generally compatible with a lot of kit. All in all a bit of a mess. The camera worked well, but now plays up. The images were clear and sharp but everything else about Silent Witness is a nightmare. Do not go near one unless you are a techy or in the trade, they are not user friendly which really is the prime requisite for anything sold to the public. I will change it as soon as I can.

Cheers Concrete